3rd Round | Pick 89, Rams select: QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Our new o-line guys may not be headline pick ups but they may work as a unit, and I'm excited by that. We've potentially got a Marshawn Lynch kinda RB, a guy that can carry a team and win those close games. And I, unlike others on this forum see massive upside with Mannion.

I will admit that if I was picking a QB for the Rams at that point I would have chosen Petty, Grayson or Hundley (In that order) but the more I read about (Coaches son, Smart, Great Character, Great Size, etc) and watching (It sure looks like on Video that he has more accuracy and arm strength than many critics are giving him credit for?) Mannion the more I like his selection. Only time will tell but I have a funny feeling that Ram fans will end up being happy with this pick in the near future!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
@Athos

What so you mean relevant - relevant to what?

I'm only reponding to Simba who said "we all know how Garrett Gilbert turned out"

I said - yeah he won a ring
He did .... Not sure what you mean by relevant

GG fits the mold of what the Rams are looking for in a developmental QB - and Mannion fits the mold even better - tall, strong, good arm, lineage (just like GG) and brains

I love the pick like I loved the GG pick

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
His upside is handing off to Gurley and Mason 45 times a game without fumbling.

Foles walks after this season the Rams will still be looking to draft a starter in the 1st.

So what's the point of using a third on this guy. The league is full of them. The Rams already have two and now have to cut one.

I don't really see how he's any better than Gilbert other than Gilbert had much better ball security.

It's just wasteful for a team to use a premium pick on a low percentage player when it has so many holes and so many Fa's next year.
You hit the nail in the head. ANY QB this team fields is handing the ball off 25+ times a game. You don't need a 1st round superstar under center to run this offense. Mannion has all that you need, he's a big physical QB that has run a pro style offense his whole college career. He's the smartest QB in the class, makes multiple reads and looks like he can move around the pocket enough to buy some time.

If you think they're building a team to sling the ball all over the field, you're sorely mistaken. They have a guy that can play to the strengths of the offense and I love it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The Rams put hundreds of man hours into looking over these QBs, they meet with them, watch tape, talk to coaches, work them out - rank them - and they get their #3 QB overall and fans want to poo poo it because some website says he is a day 3 pick.

Athos

Legend
The Rams put hundreds of man hours into looking over these QBs, they meet with them, watch tape, talk to coaches, work them out - rank them - and they get their #3 QB overall and fans want to poo poo it because some website says he is a day 3 pick.

How many hours were put into Pead?

or for the Tavon trade up?

Joyner trade up?

They clearly didn't spend enough hours last year scouting QBs and that landed us Mannion. He is a day 3 pick based on what I've seen. I'm no draft expect, but with the crapshoot drafts usually are, my opinion is as good as anyone's.

We passed on a high quality LB AGAIN for a big reach.

Why should I be happy?

Or, looking at it this way, happy with a regime that has yet to have a .500 season?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@jrry32 Mannion is tall and smart! Right, no debate there? I think Weinke likes him because he's the next Chris Weinke.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Joyner trade up?

They clearly didn't spend enough hours last year scouting QBs and that landed us Mannion.

I know the answer!!!!
The same amount of hours they put into Defensive Rookie of the Year Aaron Donald

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Joyner trade up?

They clearly didn't spend enough hours last year scouting QBs and that landed us Mannion. He is a day 3 pick based on what I've seen. I'm no draft expect, but with the crapshoot drafts usually are, my opinion is as good as anyone's.

Why should I be happy?

Or, looking at it this way, happy with a regime that has yet to have a .500 season?

The book hasn't been closed on any of those guys.

You should be happy because the Rams spent the first 4 pick on offense - that they took a tippy top talent and followed him up with 2 sides of beef. You should be happy that they took a chance at addressing the QB position with a hard working kid who has the most important tool a QB can have - a brain.

Or you can be upset that it wasn't "your guys" - I've been there myself.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I will admit that if I was picking a QB for the Rams at that point I would have chosen Petty, Grayson or Hundley (In that order) but the more I read about (Coaches son, Smart, Great Character, Great Size, etc) and watching (It sure looks like on Video that he has more accuracy and arm strength than many critics are giving him credit for?) Mannion the more I like his selection. Only time will tell but I have a funny feeling that Ram fans will end up being happy with this pick in the near future!
I spent more time this year looking at the QBs, and to be honest I'm very happy, there was just something about him when he's playing and I agree - he's more accurate than some pundits are saying - 2014 may not have been his best year, but you know what, that happens, his WRs were running poor routes, his o-line was non existent so it's not entirely his fault, but there's just something. I don't know what, it's just there when I watch him play, I think he could be our next franchise guy, he's smart, lives and breathes the game I think the fans that are slaughtering this pick will come round once he starts throwing those TD passes - but remember guys, he's going to have at least a year behind the scenes - he's not been drafted to start under centre TODAY!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
@Athos

What so you mean relevant - relevant to what?

I'm only reponding to Simba who said "we all know how Garrett Gilbert turned out"

I said - yeah he won a ring
He did .... Not sure what you mean by relevant

GG fits the mold of what the Rams are looking for in a developmental QB - and Mannion fits the mold even better - tall, strong, good arm, lineage (just like GG) and brains

I love the pick like I loved the GG pick
Mannion is an instant upgrade on GG, but yeh, I loved the GG pick too and wished they'd have kept him on the books :) but am happier with Mannion

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I was surprised he lasted as long as he did, he was a top 50 player on my board - definitely the #3 QB

For all you guys that hate this pick, I will love it even more!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
You hit the nail in the head. ANY QB this team fields is handing the ball off 25+ times a game. You don't need a 1st round superstar under center to run this offense. Mannion has all that you need, he's a big physical QB that has run a pro style offense his whole college career. He's the smartest QB in the class, makes multiple reads and looks like he can move around the pocket enough to buy some time.

If you think they're building a team to sling the ball all over the field, you're sorely mistaken. They have a guy that can play to the strengths of the offense and I love it.

Handing the ball off is great, until they need him to throw the ball 40 times to win a game.

I was bashing the pick as a waste of a premium draft choice. Instead of getting a player that can contribute on ST, or sub packages maybe even give a starter a breather , they drafted a clipboard holder when they already have two perfectly good ones.

The odds of this kid being more than that is extremely long. A good QB class he would go undrafted and even in this poor class he was over drafted by 2 rounds.
He has serious ball security issues and makes poor decisions on the fly. And people say "Coach him up" Don't you think his college coaches tried that.

They have already two young QB's on the team, which is Mannion' s upside, not Foles but Davis or Keenum, two QB's that have already won NFL games now one of them will be cut so the new guy can hold clipboard.

Worst part the Rams could have went with two QB's this season, but now they have to go with 3. So another more talented player that might help the team by playing is going to get cut.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

Joyner trade up?

Why should I be happy?

I'm not trying to be insulting here though it might sound that way. It wasn't like the Rams reached for a QB because all of the good ones are gone. They picked the one they liked the most as they essentially had their pick of all of the rest. Apparently a lot of teams liked him after his pro-day. I think he was the victim of being on a bad team with subpar talent. Even if he's a career back-up at least we have depth at the position. I'll trust the Rams brass over your opinion, no offense meant

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Handing the ball off is great, until they need him to throw the ball 40 times to win a game.

I was bashing the pick as a waste of a premium draft choice. Instead of getting a player that can contribute on ST, or sub packages maybe even give a starter a breather , they drafted a clipboard holder when they already have two perfectly good ones.

The odds of this kid being more than that is extremely long. A good QB class he would go undrafted and even in this poor class he was over drafted by 2 rounds.
He has serious ball security issues and makes poor decisions on the fly. And people say "Coach him up" Don't you think his college coaches tried that.

They have already two young QB's on the team, which is Mannion' s upside, not Foles but Davis or Keenum, two QB's that have already won NFL games now one of them will be cut so the new guy can hold clipboard.

Worst part the Rams could have went with two QB's this season, but now they have to go with 3. So another more talented player that might help the team by playing is going to get cut.
Over drafted according to who? The Draftniks? Should we just all listen to Mel Kiper Jr now?

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I spent more time this year looking at the QBs, and to be honest I'm very happy, there was just something about him when he's playing and I agree - he's more accurate than some pundits are saying - 2014 may not have been his best year, but you know what, that happens, his WRs were running poor routes, his o-line was non existent so it's not entirely his fault, but there's just something. I don't know what, it's just there when I watch him play, I think he could be our next franchise guy, he's smart, lives and breathes the game I think the fans that are slaughtering this pick will come round once he starts throwing those TD passes - but remember guys, he's going to have at least a year behind the scenes - he's not been drafted to start under centre TODAY!

That's the right perspective.

Rams will not be asking Mannion (or any QB) to be that dynamic Russell Wilson kinda guy that runs around forever. This will be a run first offense, play action fakes, draws... and Mannion's (or Foles') job will be to get the ball out quickly and accurately and make the occasional deep throw. If the play isn't there, take the sack or throw it away, live to fight another set of downs.

For that type of offense, this guy has the tools
  • Big kid (6'6 230) with a high release point
  • Good on short accurate passes
  • Good deep touch
  • High IQ, coach's son, comes from a pro style offense

Athos

Legend
I'm not trying to be insulting here though it might sound that way. It wasn't like the Rams reached for a QB because all of the good ones are gone. They picked the one they liked the most as they essentially had their pick of all of the rest. Apparently a lot of teams liked him after his pro-day. I think he was the victim of being on a bad team with subpar talent. Even if he's a career back-up at least we have depth at the position. I'll trust the Rams brass over your opinion, no offense meant

Falling in love with a guy based on his pro-day is the definition of dumb imo. He has 4 years of tape. 4 years of unimpressive tape.

Teams fall in love with guys and it bites them hard in the ass when they focus on pajama-lympics and pro-days. They delude themselves into thinking guys are better than they really are.

• High IQ, coach's son, comes from a pro style offense

How exactly is this a tool? I just don't get it. Plenty of guys in college are coach's kids and never make it as actual players. Because talent, does, you know, matter.

We drafted a backup you hope never sees the field because we didn't take a QB last year like we should have. That just tees me off. Their mistake was noted and then they follow it up with a poor pick.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Falling in love with a guy based on his pro-day is the definition of dumb imo. He has 4 years of tape. 4 years of unimpressive tape.
That's the thing, if you watch his tape from 2012 and 2013 when his O line wasn't a disaster and he had a couple of WR to throw to it wasn't that bad, in fact it was pretty good. Someone showed a video of him from a game in 2013 where he looked pretty darn good. He threw a nice deep ball and made all the short and intermediate throws. Since then, according to Snead he has shortened his throwing motion to improve the quickness of his release and it is much better.

Let's see how he does with a year of pro coaching and a better line/WR. As bad as our line was last year, just watching some of the games for Oregon State, their line was much worse, that was just abysmal.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
How exactly is this a tool? I just don't get it. Plenty of guys in college are coach's kids and never make it as actual players. Because talent, does, you know, matter.

"How exactly is [IQ] a tool"?!? Well, clearly it's not a tool in YOUR toolbox!!! :sneaky: (sorry, you just walked into that one). Buy any system coach will tell you that success starts with coach-ability. IQ doesn't help if you don't have the arm, that your passes get to your WRs with perfect timing and perfect anticipation but on 2 bounces. But Mannion has the physical tools too, so we're good there.

Matters not, you don't like the pick, we get it. But step back from the ledge for a while, watch maybe one pre-season game with the guy, and see how he fits in the system. He's a Ram now, and no amount of complaining will change that. Give him a chance to win you over.

Athos

Legend
Well, clearly it's not a tool in YOUR toolbox!!!

I wish lol! If I was a coach's kid, I'd likely have a body that built to last athletically instead of break down at 15. :ROFLMAO:

IQ doesn't help if you don't have the arm, that your passes get to your WRs with perfect timing and perfect anticipation but on 2 bounces.

People keep saying this, but I don't buy too much into the wonderlic. Not sure those smarts translate to the field.

Hopefully it won't even matter because that means either Foles lights it up or we're in position for Cardale Jones next year.

…..

Legend
Pat Haden was a genius or something and his years with the Rams are pretty memorable for me.