2018 Rams Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
C Ryan Jensen is still available. Since we might lose Sully maybe they will look at him? Unless they think Blythe can be the guy going forward. Maybe Navarro Bowman for MLB?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember watching Charles woodsen when he was 32 and the announcer was bagging on his age and how he lost a step, etc. The next year woodsen won defensive player of the league. Jordy has a couple very good years left and I think he would have made our offense significantly better than it will be.

I disagree. Cooper Kupp is no longer a rookie, and Robert Woods really emerged as the season progressed. I don't think we needed to pay a premium to bring in a guy who will eat into those targets.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The target is IMO to resign AD. Rams have to bargain shop to fill holes in FA and continue to draft well and coach their young players up. Successful teams ID their core players and sign them to what they can afford. They fill out the rest of the team with what the remaining cap will allow.

If the Rams for some reason decide AD is asking for too much, then that's a different story. Otherwise signing AD to a long term deal this offseason has to be priority number 1. He's the most irreplaceable core player on the team at this time. Losing him because you think you have to pay overpriced FA players would have long term negative consequences for the Rams.

Ok this is like the 5th time I'm saying it.....you are correct but as per what the Rams and all these dopes on nfl network, reporters etc the Rams have budgeted for AD's contract extentsion. I would never want to overpay for a free agent my point was the money they budgeted for Watkins should of been spent on getting better not on dollar store specials. I agree about Donald but I was going by the money they supposedly freed up for this year and next year and what was reported and confirmed a number of times. We were all keeping track of the cap numbers, from what we knew was that they freed up enough to hang on to there core players and add a free agent or two. That plan included Watkins until he priced himself out of this world. So again my point is even if you shop bargains with the rest of your cap you still had that Watkins money in which to sign one or two impact players without it affecting the plan.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
C Ryan Jensen is still available. Since we might lose Sully maybe they will look at him? Unless they think Blythe can be the guy going forward. Maybe Navarro Bowman for MLB?

I really liked what Blythe brought to the table. He is a quality starter imo

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm sorry you don't understand football.

We just got Wade two of the best CBs in football who are also scheme fits. We know have one of the best secondaries in football with the potential to be historically great. We still have Aaron Donald and Brockers as DEs. Barron is one of the best in the league against the run (we just need to keep him clean) by the numbers.

Our O is solid even without Watkins. Woods actually drew the #1 CB of the opposing team something like 41% of the time, something like 3rd in the league. Watkins wasn't in the top 10.

With Blythe, it's unlikely we absolutely need Sullivan.

The current needs on this team are an Edge Rusher, ILB (which Wade has found scads in the later rounds who could start and do well from day one), pass-catching TE and OL Depth. Maybe someone to train to take over for Whitworth.

We haven't even started the second round of FA, haven't had the draft and haven't reached the June 1st cuts.

Our FO is doing just fine.

The DL with Suh? Um, the Miami DL had studs all across it and? Mediocre. Suh isn't the kind of transcendent talent that AD is.

Vikings DL with Richardson? The same Sheldon Richardson with 3.5 sacks over the last two years and also a cancer in the locker room, Sheldon Richardson???

Fantasy football/Madden isn't football. So, if you look at it through those lenses, you won't understand football nor what it takes to build a winning team.

So, to recap:

Suh was never coming here. With having to pay AD, we absolutely weren't going to entertain another DL that wanted to go to the highest bidder. That's not how this team functions.

S. Richardson was never coming here. Straight knucklehead. EOS.

Watkins wanted the most money. We couldn't accomodate that. KC is at best a 6 win team as they've dumped a ton of D and are going with basically a rookie at QB. No team is gonna win FA against a team that wants to spend stupid money and $16M/yr for Watkins is stupid money.

What matters is that we win the Super Bowl, not FA.

Do you know how to read??? First off I know more about football in my sleep than you can ever hope to know. Secondly you sound like an abuse victim in a relationship that just keeps trying to tell themselves the other person will change lol. I'm confident in the front office but it doesn't mean I have to agree or not get frustrated when I see the main competition around us getting better or the Super Bowl champions being over the cap yet adjusting beautifully to do what they need to. You can put down good players all you want and you can keep hoping and praying Wade finds these diamonds and lord knows I hope your right and he does but saying dumb shit about Suh and Miami or Richardson is plain stupid. On Miami yes Suh had talent on the line and he played well not up to his contract but well but where was the rest of Miami's team????? Add Suh to the saints and there Defense is better than ours. Vikings well there defense is already special add Richarson and then what. These players don't have to be super special now they just need to play the way they can the Vikings and Saints will be instantly better while we will be relying on rookie finds. Now in simple terms my rant/vent wasn't about adding superstars it was purely about saying hey the money we had budgeted for Watkins could be used on a player or two that can help us now since we obviously are playing for now not 5 years from now. Windows don't stay open to long now a days unless your the Patriots maybe even the Seahawks. In addition Rams will not be surprising anyone this year and our offense was/is our advantage over other teams can you honestly say our offense is better right now than the Saints or the Vikings? And if we are evolving to being a defensive team the jury is still out but with our bargains and rookies will our defense be better than the Vikings or Saints if they also add those players Suh or Richardson. There is much time til the season starts but if we have to pin our hopes on finding gems, cuts, and rookies then we are really setting ourselves up to fail . I'm not looking for another one and done in the playoffs. Our window is open lets go!!!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I disagree. Cooper Kupp is no longer a rookie, and Robert Woods really emerged as the season progressed. I don't think we needed to pay a premium to bring in a guy who will eat into those targets.

Oh, I fully expect woods and kupp to be better receivers. I'm even looking forward to seeing what kupp can do on the outside, however, the dynamic of covering our 3 wide formations will probably look different then last year without Watkins commanding priority coverage. If I'm a DC I'm doubling woods with my 2nd corner and a safety, something he rarely saw last year, and I'm putting my top corner on kupp, something he rarely if ever, faced last year. My 3rd corner would cover Reynolds until he forced me to do otherwise but in the meantime woods and kupp are seeing better coverage than they did last season. So they'll be better receivers but how much more production, if any, will we see due to stiffer coverage. By simple subtraction of watkins we are an inferior offense to the one we saw last season and I don't see anyone left in FA or our draft, or on the team, that can give us what Sammy would have likely done this season. I hope I'm wrong and I that Reynolds comes out and makes defenses pay from week one but it sure would have been nice to add a playmaker to replace the one we lost. I think they were hoping eifert could be that guy but that didnt work out. Jordy definately would have been worth half the money Sammy was getting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, I fully expect woods and kupp to be better receivers. I'm even looking forward to seeing what kupp can do on the outside, however, the dynamic of covering our 3 wide formations will probably look different then last year without Watkins commanding priority coverage. If I'm a DC I'm doubling woods with my 2nd corner and a safety, something he rarely saw last year, and I'm putting my top corner on kupp, something he rarely if ever, faced last year. My 3rd corner would cover Reynolds until he forced me to do otherwise but in the meantime woods and kupp are seeing better coverage than they did last season. So they'll be better receivers but how much more production, if any, will we see due to stiffer coverage. By simple subtraction of watkins we are an inferior offense to the one we saw last season and I don't see anyone left in FA or our draft, or on the team, that can give us what Sammy would have likely done this season. I hope I'm wrong and I that Reynolds comes out and makes defenses pay from week one but it sure would have been nice to add a playmaker to replace the one we lost. I think they were hoping eifert could be that guy but that didnt work out. Jordy definately would have been worth half the money Sammy was getting.

And you know what Mcvay will do? He'll adapt his scheme to expose the defense. Because that's what he does. We certainly didn't fall apart when Robert Woods got hurt last year. And it's not like Sammy was picking up the slack.

I can tell you what Sammy gave us last year . . . less than what Kupp, Woods, and Gurley did. I'm not concerned. McVay is an offensive genius. He has a plan.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I look at it like this. It's like living in a house for many years, and then fretting through a Total remodel step bye step! You know it going to end up great, but you still worry all the way through the project!

Well it’s ok to worry , but to call out the front office right now is silly. They have done so many solid things & the team chemistry is pretty awesome.

Even lossing Ogletree & Quinn worked well .
Now restructuring Tavon keeps both parties happy. McVay will find ways to help Tavon be successful.
If they lost him it would have been ok , but now it solidifies the WR position.

The Rams have options & as the Free Agent market moves , they move with it.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
And you know what Mcvay will do? He'll adapt his scheme to expose the defense. Because that's what he does. We certainly didn't fall apart when Robert Woods got hurt last year. And it's not like Sammy was picking up the slack.

I can tell you what Sammy gave us last year . . . less than what Kupp, Woods, and Gurley did. I'm not concerned. McVay is an offensive genius. He has a plan.

Of course he'll adapt but with someone like Sammy you can impose, and when you do have to adapt, its easier.

Sammy made some of those opportunities available for others so they could produce. I'm not saying the offense will fall apart. Not at all but as of right now were significantly easier to defend against and if woods gets hurt again, I dont want to even think about it.

nighttrain

Legend
Of course he'll adapt but with someone like Sammy you can impose, and when you do have to adapt, its easier.

Sammy made some of those opportunities available for others so they could produce. I'm not saying the offense will fall apart. Not at all but as of right now were significantly easier to defend against and if woods gets hurt again, I dont want to even think about it.
why i;m liking Pryor
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Impose? Sammy imposed in maybe one game last year. This isn't Jeff Fisher anymore. McVay has a firm grasp of what he's doing with the offense.

I don't think we are significantly easier to defend. And you're ignoring the possibility that Everett and Kupp take a step forward. You're ignoring the possibility that Reynolds or Thomas takes a step forward. You're ignoring the possibility that we draft a WR. I think you're crediting Sammy with way more than he actually did.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Impose? Sammy imposed in maybe one game last year. This isn't Jeff Fisher anymore. McVay has a firm grasp of what he's doing with the offense.

I don't think we are significantly easier to defend. And you're ignoring the possibility that Everett and Kupp take a step forward. You're ignoring the possibility that Reynolds or Thomas takes a step forward. You're ignoring the possibility that we draft a WR. I think you're crediting Sammy with way more than he actually did.

I'm not ignoring the possibility of drafting a number one WR, but come on, does anyone really think the first or even 3rd round pick is going to be a receiver? And even if the 3rd round pick is a wideout, what are the odds that he'll step in this year and command double coverage week one? I'm not ignoring the remote possibilities here. Just looking at it pragmatically.

When mcvay dialed up a play he couldd say, ok, Sammy goes here and the FS will move there. I find it hard to believe he'll be saying that week one with Reynolds. That FS ain't go any where near Reynolds until he shows something. Again, I hope I'm wrong but Reynolds likely wont force defenses into double coverage. At least not right away. Mckvay even talked about how Sammy enabled him to call a game a certain way and that's one of the things those types of players bring to the field.

I dont know how you can take a top 10 -15 receiver out of an offense and say its not easier to cover it. Whats the point of having one then if we can just adapt and throw an unproven mid round pick with very little experience out there?

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Hey man I thought I did a better job with punctuation this time lol

Appreciate your contributions here to be sure but this is a lot easier to read........
*********************************************************************************
Oh, I fully expect woods and kupp to be better receivers. I'm even looking forward to seeing what kupp can do on the outside, however, the dynamic of covering our 3 wide formations will probably look different then last year without Watkins commanding priority coverage.

If I'm a DC I'm doubling woods with my 2nd corner and a safety, something he rarely saw last year, and I'm putting my top corner on kupp, something he rarely if ever, faced last year.

My 3rd corner would cover Reynolds until he forced me to do otherwise but in the meantime woods and kupp are seeing better coverage than they did last season. So they'll be better receivers but how much more production, if any, will we see due to stiffer coverage.

By simple subtraction of watkins we are an inferior offense to the one we saw last season and I don't see anyone left in FA or our draft, or on the team, that can give us what Sammy would have likely done this season.

I hope I'm wrong and I that Reynolds comes out and makes defenses pay from week one but it sure would have been nice to add a playmaker to replace the one we lost. I think they were hoping eifert could be that guy but that didnt work out. Jordy definately would have been worth half the money Sammy was getting.

**************************************************************************************
than this......:eek:
***************************************************************************************
****************************************************************************************
It's totally up to you on how you post but more members might read your posts and respond if you choose the first example. (y)

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

I'm on the fence with this buddy regarding WR's. Only because I appreciated Watkins' talent and experience much more than his season ending receiving yardage statistics indicated in 2017..

I understand why Sammy was not offered the big bucks like KC gave him but for selfish reasons, I wanted Watkins for at least one more season.

I do have some faith in Mike Thomas and Josh Reynolds should the WR group get ignored by the available free agents in the next few days.

Reynolds is hard to gauge how much McVay and his staff believe in him after only 1 season of development.

I had Reynolds as an underrated WR in 2017. As of today I'm not sure what the hell to think of him but I'm still holding out hope he's what I thought I seen in his rookie game film.

I still believe Josh Reynolds has a higher ceiling than some might believe but is he going to make the big leap in 2018 regardless of who the Rams sign before the start of training camp?

How much will Reynolds improve from his rookie season if we stay with what have?
source.gif

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Appreciate your contributions here to be sure but this is a lot easier to read........
*********************************************************************************
Oh, I fully expect woods and kupp to be better receivers. I'm even looking forward to seeing what kupp can do on the outside, however, the dynamic of covering our 3 wide formations will probably look different then last year without Watkins commanding priority coverage.

If I'm a DC I'm doubling woods with my 2nd corner and a safety, something he rarely saw last year, and I'm putting my top corner on kupp, something he rarely if ever, faced last year.

My 3rd corner would cover Reynolds until he forced me to do otherwise but in the meantime woods and kupp are seeing better coverage than they did last season. So they'll be better receivers but how much more production, if any, will we see due to stiffer coverage.

By simple subtraction of watkins we are an inferior offense to the one we saw last season and I don't see anyone left in FA or our draft, or on the team, that can give us what Sammy would have likely done this season.

I hope I'm wrong and I that Reynolds comes out and makes defenses pay from week one but it sure would have been nice to add a playmaker to replace the one we lost. I think they were hoping eifert could be that guy but that didnt work out. Jordy definately would have been worth half the money Sammy was getting.

**************************************************************************************
***************************************************************************************
****************************************************************************************

It's totally up to you on how you post but more members might read your posts and respond if you choose the first example. (y)

Yeah I used to break it up into small bites. Dont know why I changed that. I guess sometimes I dont figure on writing much at first and then it adds up. Some of the grammer and spelling piss me off because the word suggester picks the wrong word and I miss it. As of this sentence its happenned 4 times but I caught it. May be a bug. Also, I do all my posts on my phone and that doesnt help.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not ignoring the possibility of drafting a number one WR, but come on, does anyone really think the first or even 3rd round pick is going to be a receiver? And even if the 3rd round pick is a wideout, what are the odds that he'll step in this year and command double coverage week one? I'm not ignoring the remote possibilities here. Just looking at it pragmatically.

Why do we need a #1 WR? Sammy was our fourth leading receiver last year. We need a deep threat. Reynolds and Thomas can both do that. There are WRs in the Draft who can do that.

McVay came into this year with a hopeless bust QB, the most inefficient HB in the NFL, an overpaid FA WR, a slow rookie WR, and an injury prone WR who put up less than 500 yards in 2016. We had the #1 scoring offense in 2017. I am not even remotely worried about the offense. McVay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sammy Watkins.

When mcvay dialed up a play he couldd say, ok, Sammy goes here and the FS will move there. I find it hard to believe he'll be saying that week one with Reynolds. That FS ain't go any where near Reynolds until he shows something. Again, I hope I'm wrong but Reynolds likely wont force defenses into double coverage. At least not right away. Mckvay even talked about how Sammy enabled him to call a game a certain way and that's one of the things those types of players bring to the field.

Sammy was not getting constantly doubled. That's fiction. DCs aren't stupid. They recognized who the productive players in our offense were.

I dont know how you can take a top 10 -15 receiver out of an offense and say its not easier to cover it. Whats the point of having one then if we can just adapt and throw an unproven mid round pick with very little experience out there?

Ask the Saints. They've been doing that for over a decade. Also, what top 10-15 WR? Sammy certainly didn't play like one. Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp outplayed him.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

That's really stupendous and very impressive. I try to do my best, however as I've said before sometimes my excitement or emotion takes over. I greatly appreciate your input and plenty of people do read my posts but I must say I have never run into such grammar perfectionism as I have on this board lol. I am humbled that you took the time out of your day to show me what a proper paragraph with punctuation looks like and as I have said before I will try to do better. Next time I post I will be sure to pull my masters degree off my wall to remind myself that this board can be very harsh on people that do not write perfect English. Again my deepest apologies to any and all I have offended.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I used to break it up into small bites. Dont know why I changed that. I guess sometimes I dont figure on writing much at first and then it adds up. Some of the grammer and spelling tick me off because the word suggester picks the wrong word and I miss it. As of this sentence its happenned 4 times but I caught it. May be a bug. Also, I do all my posts on my phone and that doesnt help.

You're writing on your phone? That's impressive. I hate writing long posts on my phone (so I rarely do).

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
You're writing on your phone? That's impressive. I hate writing long posts on my phone (so I rarely do).

I don't have internet so no computer. And yeah, it sucks, especially when my batterys's low and I'm sitting awkward because the cord is pretty short.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I don't understand this misconception about jordy. Dude was a top 3 WR until Rodgers went down last season. He's gonna kill it in Oakland.

I kinda understand where you're coming from wolfdogg. But is Jordy Nelson REALLY a valid replacement as a deep threat that needs to be double teamed a lot?