2018 Rams Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
My point still stands, we're 25 hours into the league year and you're worried about where money is going to be spent? Relax! We are barely into pro days and the draft is still a month plus away. Free agency has barely started this isn't over by any stretch of the imagination. Just because you felt a NT or ILB or whatever was worth a certain dollar amount doesn't mean that Wade or McVay agree with you. They have a plan and they have a contingency plan. Relax and let them do their job. Seriously we've had more threads worrying about things than we have had celebrating what's been done. All that and just 25 hours into the league year.

I was with you on most of what you were saying til the " let them do their job" comment we are all on here to say what we would do, or what we want to do, should do, etc. and give our takes and opinions. If you read what I wrote I believe in this new regime 100 percent but doesn't mean I have to agree with everything. Signing our own players seems to be an ongoing issue so that's quite obvious and as far as new players it does concern me when the top teams above us or equal to us are adding stars like Suh or Richardson. I mean for Christ sakes the Eagles were over the cap and added and resigned some notable players. I know this team will look different when the season starts but it will be tough to compete with the likes of the Vikings, Saints, Eagles, and even the teams nipping at our heels with Dollar store signings and over the hill replacements and again my biggest point was if you didn't spend the money on Watkins there should of been some other targets or target to spend that money on like a back up plan and that's forgetting about the rest of the cap we have available.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
That is just whacked & out of control !! Is there a DR. In the House ?

Total disagree.. keep your own , but sign high priced FA as well ?

John Sullivan was replaced by Austin Blythe during the season. He held up well. Neary & Eldenkamp are nice young players as well.
Goff also needs to grow more & maybe take control of the signals.

How MUCH is mother F’ing Aaron Donald going to cost ? You want to KEEP your own ?
What happened to Richardson & SUH ? Both were CUT !!

FA part just started . If you couldn’t see why The Rams kept 4 Centers then maybe there is something missing ?
Neary played real well as a starter against the Niners. There is going to be competition at the center position.

Don't think I understood that at all, sorry.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Patients is a virtue !! The Rams are in a fine spot. The Rams are still growing .

Enjoy the Evolution

Yea we all know that I have been but I always strive to do and be better so that's why I feel the way I do, a winning season makes not a Super Bowl champion!!! Got to keep it fresh to keep it going. So here's hoping to you being right!!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Patients is a virtue !! The Rams are in a fine spot. The Rams are still growing .

Enjoy the Evolution
I look at it like this. It's like living in a house for many years, and then fretting through a Total remodel step bye step! You know it going to end up great, but you still worry all the way through the project!

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
my biggest point was if you didn't spend the money on Watkins there should of been some other targets or target
The target is IMO to resign AD. Rams have to bargain shop to fill holes in FA and continue to draft well and coach their young players up. Successful teams ID their core players and sign them to what they can afford. They fill out the rest of the team with what the remaining cap will allow.

If the Rams for some reason decide AD is asking for too much, then that's a different story. Otherwise signing AD to a long term deal this offseason has to be priority number 1. He's the most irreplaceable core player on the team at this time. Losing him because you think you have to pay overpriced FA players would have long term negative consequences for the Rams.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Prior had a total of four red zone targets last year with Cousins and the Redskins. One more than Tavon Austin.
Was that Pryor's fault? None of can say for sure. But what we can all agree on is that with Washington losing McVay and Shanahan, there offense was in disarray.
The few games of the Redskins that I saw, their passing schemes was absolutely terrible, not devising their play calling to the strength of their receivers. Pryor can't be blamed for that.
Pryor likes to use his big body to his advantage, and he wanted to get physical, but they were using him as a speed guy only.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I know its only 26 hours in but it doesnt matter if its 5 hours in. What matters is how long the players you want are available and right now there is probably no one left that will get us back to where we were before Sammy left. Shoulda offerred jordy 16 mil for 2 years. It's not likely that the first or even the 3rd round pick will be a WR or TE so were stuck with hoping for things to workout with our current players and probably a prove it deal for someone.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
"I think the best way to do it is to not have a need screaming at you in the draft," Snead said, "because unless you’re very disciplined, that can cause you to to reach and maybe pick a player [who isn't good enough] or pass on a really good player."
Interesting insight into McSneads FA period plan...we shall see.

That’s something that we’re trying to figure out now," McVay said. "I don’t necessarily think you do that with one player; I think it’ll be kind of by committee."
In replacing Sammy. Perhaps he is going to see if Reynolds or Thomas emerge, or FA and Reynolds. Either way, I read this as a prime camp competition to keep our eyes on.

Until the issue is fully resolved, you never know exactly how it’s going to play out," McVay said. "What I do feel better about is the personal relationship that Aaron and I have now established, having been together over a year. I think one of the things that was unique to that is when he holds out [last year], when he’s not taking part in the offseason programs or in training camp, there’s no personal rapport that prior to that even existed. So, it was a lot easier for him to ignore my texts. Now, I think it’ll be a little bit more difficult. I can be more persistent.”

So....AD was blowing off the coaches texts last year. Interesting comments here, gentlemen.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
How many possession receivers does a team need?

I don't understand this misconception about jordy. Dude was a top 3 WR until Rodgers went down last season. He's gonna kill it in Oakland.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know its only 26 hours in but it doesnt matter if its 5 hours in. What matters is how long the players you want are available and right now there is probably no one left that will get us back to where we were before Sammy left. Shoulda offerred jordy 16 mil for 2 years. It's not likely that the first or even the 3rd round pick will be a WR or TE so were stuck with hoping for things to workout with our current players and probably a prove it deal for someone.

Pass.

Ranma

Rookie
The Rams apparently just missed out on Eifert.

Jim Owczarski, Cincinnatti.com (3/15/18)
As other tight ends moved around the league on multi-year deals, Eifert had one-year options to choose from as he was able to test the waters of the free market for the first time.

Two league sources told The Enquirer Eifert had to decide between the Bengals and the Los Angeles Rams.

Eifert wanted to remain in Cincinnati, so he afforded the club an opportunity to match the Rams' offer that could push the deal to about $8.5 million should he hit all playing time and performance incentives.
Tyler Eifert Re-Signs with Cincinnati Bengals for One Year

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last season, the Rams got Whitworth and Woods early, but then signed Barwin, NRC, and Sullivan among many others later in the second or later waves. Since they weren't looking to make a big splash this season, but fill a few holes with role players, I'm not concerned. The one position they might have wanted an impact player - edge rusher who can do the other things that Wade requires of his OLBs - wasn't really available.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
How many receivers averaged 1400 yards and 12 tds over a three year period between 2013 and 2016 then had at least 6 tds in the first 5 games of 2017?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many receivers averaged 1400 yards and 12 tds over a three year period between 2013 and 2016 then had at least 6 tds in the first 5 games of 2017?

He's old, declining physically, and being paid a good bit of dough. He'll probably do well in Oakland because Gruden has consistently squeezed the last bit of talent out of old WRs during his career, but the move doesn't make sense for us.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This whole thing is actually annoying the crap out of me!!! I understand plans cap our own players etc. But if your a team who is going for it now and it was great to get those two corners super excited about it but I'm sorry I don't care who you add in a second wave unless you have some master super plan. I'm a huge Rams fan but this is kind of annoying they are better at trades then they are at free agency with last year being the exception lol. In all seriousness my point to this (rant coming)...

-Where is the Watkins money that we offered him???? Why isn't that being used to improve this team. That could of been used on one or two impactful FA.
-We were budgeted to be under the cap to add some players your not going to win anything with teams like the saints adding depth and now scheduling a visit with Suh. Or a team like the Vikings adding Cousins and having Sheldon Richardson locked up in a storage closet so he can't leave.
-I feel like all the other teams are improving majorly and we are trying to add bargain basement people hard to win like that as of now our schedule is killer and we actually play a lot of these teams.
-And wtf is the issue with signing our own FA??? It just seems like we shooting ourselves in the foot.
- I am all for not throwing stupid money around but if you trade non scheme fits like Ogeltree and Quinn, scheme fits or not talent is talent and Picking up leftovers or scraps not going to improve this team and keep us in the running with the Eagles, Vikes, Saints these teams are just getting better way better.
- The Rams are not going to sneak up on anyone this season so two awesome corners while losing players at every other position isn't going to improve us. Even if we do luck out again with hardly any major injuries we still will have a tough time I believe.

Just imagine the saints d-line with Suh
And the Vikings d-line with Richardson

Watkins money should of at least been used on some pieces if not one major piece. Unless Ekuban, Littleton, Reynolds, and Thomas are all pro bowlers. I guess frustration is building up not being able to do much in FA and mostly not being able to sign our own!!!!!!

I'm sorry you don't understand football.

We just got Wade two of the best CBs in football who are also scheme fits. We know have one of the best secondaries in football with the potential to be historically great. We still have Aaron Donald and Brockers as DEs. Barron is one of the best in the league against the run (we just need to keep him clean) by the numbers.

Our O is solid even without Watkins. Woods actually drew the #1 CB of the opposing team something like 41% of the time, something like 3rd in the league. Watkins wasn't in the top 10.

With Blythe, it's unlikely we absolutely need Sullivan.

The current needs on this team are an Edge Rusher, ILB (which Wade has found scads in the later rounds who could start and do well from day one), pass-catching TE and OL Depth. Maybe someone to train to take over for Whitworth.

We haven't even started the second round of FA, haven't had the draft and haven't reached the June 1st cuts.

Our FO is doing just fine.

The DL with Suh? Um, the Miami DL had studs all across it and? Mediocre. Suh isn't the kind of transcendent talent that AD is.

Vikings DL with Richardson? The same Sheldon Richardson with 3.5 sacks over the last two years and also a cancer in the locker room, Sheldon Richardson???

Fantasy football/Madden isn't football. So, if you look at it through those lenses, you won't understand football nor what it takes to build a winning team.

So, to recap:

Suh was never coming here. With having to pay AD, we absolutely weren't going to entertain another DL that wanted to go to the highest bidder. That's not how this team functions.

S. Richardson was never coming here. Straight knucklehead. EOS.

Watkins wanted the most money. We couldn't accomodate that. KC is at best a 6 win team as they've dumped a ton of D and are going with basically a rookie at QB. No team is gonna win FA against a team that wants to spend stupid money and $16M/yr for Watkins is stupid money.

What matters is that we win the Super Bowl, not FA.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
He's old, declining physically, and being paid a good bit of dough. He'll probably do well in Oakland because Gruden has consistently squeezed the last bit of talent out of old WRs during his career, but the move doesn't make sense for us.

I remember watching Charles woodsen when he was 32 and the announcer was bagging on his age and how he lost a step, etc. The next year woodsen won defensive player of the league. Jordy has a couple very good years left and I think he would have made our offense significantly better than it will be.