2018 Rams Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Why do we need a #1 WR? Sammy was our fourth leading receiver last year. We need a deep threat. Reynolds and Thomas can both do that. There are WRs in the Draft who can do that.

McVay came into this year with a hopeless bust QB, the most inefficient HB in the NFL, an overpaid FA WR, a slow rookie WR, and an injury prone WR who put up less than 500 yards in 2016. We had the #1 scoring offense in 2017. I am not even remotely worried about the offense. McVay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sammy Watkins.

Sammy was not getting constantly doubled. That's fiction. DCs aren't stupid. They recognized who the productive players in our offense were.

Ask the Saints. They've been doing that for over a decade. Also, what top 10-15 WR? Sammy certainly didn't play like one. Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp outplayed him.

I believe in mcvay too. A lot. But I also think he can call a better game with Watkins than without him, or someone comparable. Do we have that person in Reynolds? Don't know but I'm pretty sure he wont be as good as Sammy would have been in this offense this year. Hope I'm way off on that.

When I suggest hes a top 10-15 I'm also talking about what I think he could have done here this season. He only had 39 receptions but 33 were for either a first down or one of 8 touchdowns. That's a td 1 out of every 5 times he touches the ball. Throw it to him 80 times and see what you get.

And the saints have had brees who could make my grandma look like a starter.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I kinda understand where you're coming from wolfdogg. But is Jordy Nelson REALLY a valid replacement as a deep threat that needs to be double teamed a lot?

I've watched a lot of packer games since jordy hit the scene and he makes defenses pay when they dont roll the safety. With cooper opposite him in Oakland hes going to go off this year. At least 10 tds as the number 2 wideout. Gruden made a smart move.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That's really stupendous and very impressive. I try to do my best, however as I've said before sometimes my excitement or emotion takes over. I greatly appreciate your input and plenty of people do read my posts but I must say I have never run into such grammar perfectionism as I have on this board lol. I am humbled that you took the time out of your day to show me what a proper paragraph with punctuation looks like and as I have said before I will try to do better. Next time I post I will be sure to pull my masters degree off my wall to remind myself that this board can be very harsh on people that do not write perfect English. Again my deepest apologies to any and all I have offended.

See folks this is what you get when you try to help people.

SarcasmMeter.gif~c200

The lesson here?

yt.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
And you know what Mcvay will do? He'll adapt his scheme to expose the defense. Because that's what he does. We certainly didn't fall apart when Robert Woods got hurt last year. And it's not like Sammy was picking up the slack.

I can tell you what Sammy gave us last year . . . less than what Kupp, Woods, and Gurley did. I'm not concerned. McVay is an offensive genius. He has a plan.
This is the main reason I'm not stressed about Watkins leaving. Sucks that second round pick is gone. Watkins is talented and I'd rather the team have him but a good coach matches skill and player and scheme.

fearsomefour

Legend
Do you know how to read??? First off I know more about football in my sleep than you can ever hope to know. Secondly you sound like an abuse victim in a relationship that just keeps trying to tell themselves the other person will change lol. I'm confident in the front office but it doesn't mean I have to agree or not get frustrated when I see the main competition around us getting better or the Super Bowl champions being over the cap yet adjusting beautifully to do what they need to. You can put down good players all you want and you can keep hoping and praying Wade finds these diamonds and lord knows I hope your right and he does but saying dumb crap about Suh and Miami or Richardson is plain stupid. On Miami yes Suh had talent on the line and he played well not up to his contract but well but where was the rest of Miami's team????? Add Suh to the saints and there Defense is better than ours. Vikings well there defense is already special add Richarson and then what. These players don't have to be super special now they just need to play the way they can the Vikings and Saints will be instantly better while we will be relying on rookie finds. Now in simple terms my rant/vent wasn't about adding superstars it was purely about saying hey the money we had budgeted for Watkins could be used on a player or two that can help us now since we obviously are playing for now not 5 years from now. Windows don't stay open to long now a days unless your the Patriots maybe even the Seahawks. In addition Rams will not be surprising anyone this year and our offense was/is our advantage over other teams can you honestly say our offense is better right now than the Saints or the Vikings? And if we are evolving to being a defensive team the jury is still out but with our bargains and rookies will our defense be better than the Vikings or Saints if they also add those players Suh or Richardson. There is much time til the season starts but if we have to pin our hopes on finding gems, cuts, and rookies then we are really setting ourselves up to fail . I'm not looking for another one and done in the playoffs. Our window is open lets go!!!
Coach O?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
It will be interesting to see if the Rams pay Barron's and Kayvon's bonuses due tomorrow. I'm thinking they do since FA is pretty dry at this point. Then again they need to get extensions done with Donald, Joyner, Saffold, Havenstein, and Jamon Brown. 10 mil more in cap space certainly doesn't hurt when you are cutting a guy who is a major run game liability and an injured CB who is overpaid as a 4th CB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe in mcvay too. A lot. But I also think he can call a better game with Watkins than without him, or someone comparable. Do we have that person in Reynolds? Don't know but I'm pretty sure he wont be as good as Sammy would have been in this offense this year. Hope I'm way off on that.

When I suggest hes a top 10-15 I'm also talking about what I think he could have done here this season. He only had 39 receptions but 33 were for either a first down or one of 8 touchdowns. That's a td 1 out of every 5 times he touches the ball. Throw it to him 80 times and see what you get.

And the saints have had brees who could make my grandma look like a starter.

People have been waiting for years for Sammy to live up to his potential. I'm just glad we're not the ones paying him $16 million per year in hopes that he finally does.

And the Rams have Jared Goff, who will make your grandma look like a starter. She's replacing Sammy Watkins. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It will be interesting to see if the Rams pay Barron's and Kayvon's bonuses due tomorrow. I'm thinking they do since FA is pretty dry at this point. Then again they need to get extensions done with Donald, Joyner, Saffold, Havenstein, and Jamon Brown. 10 mil more in cap space certainly doesn't hurt when you are cutting a guy who is a major run game liability and an injured CB who is overpaid as a 4th CB.

Barron isn't a major run game liability when he's playing the correct spot.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
See folks this is what you get when you try to help people.

SarcasmMeter.gif~c200

The lesson here?

yt.gif

Dude I wasn't being sarcastic was just making my point. I've gotten enough of those messages and answered them all. I'm being sincere when I say I will try and do better. Damn this board is rough is it about the rams or just shaming people. Again my apologies and hard as it is to believe I do have a masters lol.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
People have been waiting for years for Sammy to live up to his potential. I'm just glad we're not the ones paying him $16 million per year in hopes that he finally does.

And the Rams have Jared Goff, who will make your grandma look like a starter. She's replacing Sammy Watkins. ;)

She may not pass the physical so I wont get her hopes up.

I was sure that no team would make him the 2nd highest paid receiver in the league and then kc does just that. I'm guessing they expect him to be at least a top 10 guy for that kind if dough. I'd like to see what the rams offerred. I'm thinking maybe in the neighborhood of 13 mil a year. That's still top 12 money.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Barron isn't a major run game liability when he's playing the correct spot.

Where else is he going to play? He already plays the Mo, the LB spot that protects him more than the Mike. He isnt going to play safety. Not sure what they can do with him as an every down player behind 3 down lineman.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where else is he going to play? He already plays the Mo, the LB spot that protects him more than the Mike. He isnt going to play safety. Not sure what they can do with him as an every down player behind 3 down lineman.

Put him behind a legitimate NT with an ILB who can stack and shed, and Barron will look fine.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Put him behind a legitimate NT with an ILB who can stack and shed, and Barron will look fine.

They can still run at him. He consistently gets destroyed by pulling lineman or lineman simply getting to the next level. He doesn't have the same sort of protection he gets in a 4-3 when he can consistently line up outside the tackle box. He has to play so much more in the tackle box in a 3-4 or the defense leaves huge gaps, especially against heavy formations. The overall run defense will be better with improved Mike LB play because a lot of our run game woes came from having two ILBs who were liabilities against the run paired with average to below average NT play. They will better overall, but that won't change the fact that Barron is still a liability against the run.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I don't have internet so no computer. And yeah, it sucks, especially when my batterys's low and I'm sitting awkward because the cord is pretty short.

I appreciate your honesty Wolf. We all love and respect you, regardless of the length of your....ahem..."cord".

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I was just trying to catch up reading through these posts. . .

Then I drifted away a few posts or so ago thinking about Marcus Peters and Cooper Kupp lining up in practice. Both dudes (this goes for woods and talib) that are dedicated to their craft, man I can see those two getting after it in practice.

Kupp will have a good opportunity to model what it looks like to be cool calm and collected . . . all of the time.

side note: maybe this is a candidate for the secondaries name . . . SUFFOCATION NO BREATHING

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They can still run at him. He consistently gets destroyed by pulling lineman or lineman simply getting to the next level. He doesn't have the same sort of protection he gets in a 4-3 when he can consistently line up outside the tackle box. He has to play so much more in the tackle box in a 3-4 or the defense leaves huge gaps, especially against heavy formations. The overall run defense will be better with improved Mike LB play because a lot of our run game woes came from having two ILBs who were liabilities against the run paired with average to below average NT play. They will better overall, but that won't change the fact that Barron is still a liability against the run.

I disagree. A LB like Barron getting blocked by OLs isn't anything new. The same thing happens to Roquan Smith, who is considered a top prospect. Barron more than makes up for it with his ability to shoot gaps and pursue to the sidelines. It's like arguing that Cooper Kupp is a liability because he doesn't have great deep speed. Barron has a weakness, but the rest of his game compensates. The bigger problem I had with him last year was him not reading keys properly, but he got better as the year went on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Do you know how to read??? First off I know more about football in my sleep than you can ever hope to know. Secondly you sound like an abuse victim in a relationship that just keeps trying to tell themselves the other person will change lol. I'm confident in the front office but it doesn't mean I have to agree or not get frustrated when I see the main competition around us getting better or the Super Bowl champions being over the cap yet adjusting beautifully to do what they need to. You can put down good players all you want and you can keep hoping and praying Wade finds these diamonds and lord knows I hope your right and he does but saying dumb shit about Suh and Miami or Richardson is plain stupid. On Miami yes .......
Who the hell do you think you are? This kind of crap is everything this site is NOT. You don't attack the members here, you don't call them names, and you don't act like you are above them. Get this straight or get out.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Do you know how to read??? First off I know more about football in my sleep than you can ever hope to know. Secondly you sound like an abuse victim in a relationship that just keeps trying to tell themselves the other person will change lol. I'm confident in the front office but it doesn't mean I have to agree or not get frustrated when I see the main competition around us getting better or the Super Bowl champions being over the cap yet adjusting beautifully to do what they need to. You can put down good players all you want and you can keep hoping and praying Wade finds these diamonds and lord knows I hope your right and he does but saying dumb crap about Suh and Miami or Richardson is plain stupid. On Miami yes Suh had talent on the line and he played well not up to his contract but well but where was the rest of Miami's team????? Add Suh to the saints and there Defense is better than ours. Vikings well there defense is already special add Richarson and then what. These players don't have to be super special now they just need to play the way they can the Vikings and Saints will be instantly better while we will be relying on rookie finds. Now in simple terms my rant/vent wasn't about adding superstars it was purely about saying hey the money we had budgeted for Watkins could be used on a player or two that can help us now since we obviously are playing for now not 5 years from now. Windows don't stay open to long now a days unless your the Patriots maybe even the Seahawks. In addition Rams will not be surprising anyone this year and our offense was/is our advantage over other teams can you honestly say our offense is better right now than the Saints or the Vikings? And if we are evolving to being a defensive team the jury is still out but with our bargains and rookies will our defense be better than the Vikings or Saints if they also add those players Suh or Richardson. There is much time til the season starts but if we have to pin our hopes on finding gems, cuts, and rookies then we are really setting ourselves up to fail . I'm not looking for another one and done in the playoffs. Our window is open lets go!!!

You're new, so I'll just leave you with this...

INSULT.jpg