2017 NFL Draft: Rounds 2-3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mark me down for Jourdan Lewis.

John Johnson? Nice name. I haven't spent much time on him. But from what others have said, he can play FS and slot CB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting pick I know he played Corner and both safety positions.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
:yess:"One of the steals in this round." "What you need in the NFL." Dang NFL Now guys love our pick....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah he's got some serious raw skill. If Wade wants him, well then, I'm good with it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Interesting pick...and Lol at everybody saying our secondary is on life support.

lockdnram21

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/john-johnson?id=2558183

John Johnson (S)
HT: 6'0" WT: 208LBS.

POSITION: S

SCHOOL: Boston College

ARM LENGTH: 32"

HANDS: 9 7/8"

Overview
Johnson's career with the Eagles ended on a high note, beating his home-state team, Maryland, in the Quick Lane Bowl. He had 12 tackles (11 solo) in the contest, capping off an excellent senior season (77 tackles, 2.5 for loss, three interceptions, nine pass breakups). In 2015, Johnson got on scouts' radars as a first-year starter (63 tackles, 1.5 for loss, three INT, three PBU). He may have done so as a sophomore, but missed the last five regular season games of the year with an arm injury before coming back for the bowl game (25 tackles on the year, two PBU). The second-team all-state pick from Maryland contributed in all 12 games as a freshman, picking up four tackles and a fumble recovery.

COMBINE STATS
  • 40 YARD DASH: 4.61 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 14 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 37.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 119.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.72 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.18 SEC

ANALYSIS
Strengths
Has starting experience as cornerback and safety. Can play high safety or cover the slot. Plays with smooth hips and above average mirror and match footwork for the safety spot. At ease with directional changes in space. Adequate instincts in coverage. Will shade his coverage from high safety based on play development and quarterback's glances. Winning ball skills with very good ball tracking and soft hands. Interceptions don't just come his way, he goes and gets them. Has agility to take zig-zag downhill track to running backs. Bounces into run fits with lively feet and a tackle-ready base. Special teams monster with 30 tackles over the last three seasons on cover teams.

Weaknesses
Tends to take passive routes to the ball when he's the last line of defense. Leverages to the sideline while drifting backwards rather than closing downhill. Features a small delay at top of his transition when triggering. Needs to improve physicality as a tackler. Feet deaden near point of impact. Needs to drive through his target and finish with his feet.

Draft Projection
Round 3-4

Sources Tell Us
"He's really caught my eye out here. Had to go look him up with one of our scouts to find out more about the kid. Way more athletic than a lot of the safeties you see out at this game." -- NFC secondary coach

NFL Comparison
Aaron Williams

Bottom Line
Ascending defender with the experience, athleticism and ball skills to play as a high safety or in man coverage. Johnson is well above average as a ball-tracker and has the soft hands to finish at the catch-point against receivers. He has decent size but won't be a banger as a tackler, however, his ability in coverage has NFL personnel men buzzing as a potential early starter in the league

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I actually really like Johnson. Had some great tape shutting down Bucky Hodges 1 on 1 when gives up 7 inches on the guy. Fits what wade does at FS.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams take Free-Safety John Johnson Boston College!? I'll Trust Wade on this one!