2017 NFL Draft: Rounds 2-3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I have to check but I think Kyle Fuller is still available too.
He is as well as Wheeler who some list as a Center convert. Another big name available is J.J. Dielman. We can easily get a center who's good today.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There are some very good Centers still available. No need to call the players left on the board garbage because you didn't get your guy.

Yeah. The draft is a funny balance between needs, BPA, and more needs. There just aren't enough draft picks to fill every want.

I've liked picks in the past that didn't pan out.

I've disliked picks in the past that worked out well.

It's hard for me to get too worked up when I have 1/100th the data the team has to make these selections. It truly is a situation I can only sit back and watch their strategy, less so on sorting out the best players to fit it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have 3 starting OT's & a few potential back-ups already, was Lamp going to beat out Whitworth or Havenstein, was he going to beat out larger OG's who fit the Kromer mold or scheme ? Lamp has only played OT, he's a project at Center. He might eventually make a good one, but the Rams don't have the depth to hide a guy like Lamp, he needs to start on day 1. And if Robinson gets his act together at either RT or RG, we are about as good on the OL as we can ask for this year. Next year Saffold is likely replaced at LG by Havenstein, Donnal, Brown or someone new, RG could be Robinson or Brown or someone new, but the OL in 2017 is pretty loaded for the time being, especially at Tackle. jmo.

Lamp isn't a project at Center. Cody Whitehair made the same transition. There were multiple guys who made the same transition in college. There are multiple guys who made the same transition in the NFL. It's not a difficult transition, particularly in our scheme (where the QB calls the protections).

Lamp would have been a dominant Center. Let's not sell him short. The man made guys like Jonathan Allen, Dalvin Tomlinson, and Tim Williams look like child's play when he got his hands on them. That was something I noted about Cody Whitehair last year when talking him up. Guys like that will dominate at Center.

However, I think that Kromer might value one of our young OGs (Wichmann, Jamon Brown, or Donnal) as a Center convert like he did with Ryan Groy. I'm not sweating it now. The man knows what he's doing, and Everett/Kupp are tremendous additions.

Ants

Starter
Are there any centers left?

Orlosky looks like a good, solid option. Although a bit undersized, he's a strong run blocker. He seems to be able to control his man fairly easily. Looks decent in pass blocking. I like him. Not the most athletic-looking guy, but he looks good, solid, strong.

Toth looks more athletic, is a pretty good pass blocker and adequate run blocker. He looks confident, solid, aware.

I looked at some videos of some good DL prospects with the purpose of watching other centers to compare to Toth and Orlosky. None of the centers looked bad, so it's not really easy to see what makes one guy better than another.
It seems the big thing is that the good ones show a "dominant trait"...something you can hang your hat on.

Orlosky is strong and latches onto a guy (not holding) and moves the pile.
Toth is big, strong, confident, effective - looks like an NFL-quality lineman.
It really depends on what sort of guy you want. I like them both...would lean towards Toth only because he seems to have more "upside".

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I can't help but think about the lamp, kupp, Everett trio because I thought Everett would be available in the 3rd, but what do I know. It seems like the TE whisperer got the guy he wanted and if he wouldn't have been there in the 3rd, I'd probably prefer how things actually played out. Seeing a TE go right after our pick makes me think we may have picked him up at the right spot. There may have been a collective, "doh!" In the bears room when they heard Everett s name as our selection.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are some very good Centers still available. No need to call the players left on the board garbage because you didn't get your guy.
We probably won't take a Center at all in the draft at this point...Every single draft, it seems that position is destined to be filled by UDFA's or by Guards not good enough to start at Guard. No, Lamp was never my "guy" because he was supposed to be gone by #37...We had him, but whatever...I'll like the new guys better since they are all Rams now, but I am sorry, this seemed like a huge miss to me.