Zona is a MUST WIN.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Did you really think Rams would be better than 2-3 or 3-2 to start?

• Total voters

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I agree. But the thing is, we have talent. Guys are getting open, we're getting sacks, making big stops on 3rd down. The defense looks great. And our offense should be putting up points every week. We have the potential and absolutely have the talent. I just don't trust Jeff Fisher to make it happen. This is his team and we haven't had a solid offense under him yet. We bring in QB after QB and OC after OC and it just doesn't make a difference. It's extremely depressing and I don't think consistent football is too much to ask in 4 years. I guess what I'm trying to say is, until they show me that they can will together a above average offense each and every game, we will be 7-9 every year.
That's a great point. Things are happening, we're starting to win some individual efforts, but it's just not being orchestrated in a effort that produces results.

Is it coaching or execution? I don't know, but there is one fact that has been eating at me. Shottenheimer left on his own volition, or at the least with the appearance of having done so. We see it all the time when upper level management sees the writing on the wall and bails. But more interesting is the fact that they reached out to quite a handful of potential offensive coordinators to no avail. St. Louis may well have already developed a reputation as a purlieu where offensive coordinators go to die, and that is a modus operandi that that worries me more than our penchant for seemingly preparing for only the toughest games.

We played well against the Steelers, at least defensively. And I hate to say it, but I do have to agree, if we don't come away with a win in Phoenix, ugly or otherwise, the victory in Seattle was for naught as it pertains to our playoff hopes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's a great point. Things are happening, we're starting to win some individual efforts, but it's just not being orchestrated in a effort that produces results.

Is it coaching or execution? I don't know, but there is one fact that has been eating at me. Shottenheimer left on his own volition, or at the least with the appearance of having done so. We see it all the time when upper level management sees the writing on the wall and bails. But more interesting is the fact that they reached out to quite a handful of potential offensive coordinators to no avail. St. Louis may well have already developed a reputation as a purlieu where offensive coordinators go to die, and that is a modus operandi that that worries me more than our penchant for seemingly preparing for only the toughest games.

We played well against the Steelers, at least defensively. And I hate to say it, but I do have to agree, if we don't come away with a win in Phoenix, ugly or otherwise, the victory in Seattle was for naught as it pertains to our playoff hopes.
Ten points for using the word purlieu in a football post.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cards beat the Saints Bears and Niners
So will the Rams. That said, I can't see us beating them at their house.
Or the Pack. Ain't happenin'.1-4 into the
aBYss
You may very well be right. I have never liked the idea of the game at GB! But, as the saying goes, "on any-given Sunday ... "! I hope your wrong though!! 3-2 would be wonderful!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All games should mean throwing Vegas odds out of the water.

Vegas is not in the team winning prediction business.
Just to let the Board know, this morning odds in Vegas the Cards are Favored by 6.5 points, only Seattle, Indy, and GB are favored to Win by more points! (9.5 each)
I'll take the Rams and 6.5 points!!

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
We will see who we are this week, just like any other week. One major difference this week is that Arians has Fish outclassed in the coaching department by a lot. Despite what many here think I think Fish is an above average coach, not great but not terrible either. Having home field plus the coaching nod means our execution has to be flawless.
We are capable - everyone just has to man the f-ck up and get it done.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Win? I just want us to play well. Mistake free football....That's all I want...The winning &/or losing will take care of itself...

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Sorry guys. I think we have absolutely zero chance to win this game. They were without Palmer last year and we still lost. So get ready for another 1-4 start.
True and False. The first game we were leading when he got hurt. It was actually Drew Stanton that came in and took over the game with the TD to Brown.

And of course our complete turnover meltdown.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Thing we have to remember is this team is capable of anything. Who thought we would go into Indy last year and dismantle the Colts?

All it takes is the right game plan and actually executing.

I know the D is capable of it. We just need the offense to come ready to play.

iced

yea i'm kind of expecting us to be 1-4 going into the bye for many of the reasons already stated - we couldn't beat the cards @ home w/out palmer, the'yre on fire right now, and green bay is green bay...

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
After week 1 I had us undefeated going into the bye. And I didn't feel that was just blind homer faith either.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I don't understand anybody trying to use last years play against the Cards to justify a win this year. or for any other divisional teams for that matter. right now the play in the Seattle game was an anomaly and I'm waiting for a pounding when they go up to Seattle. the offense has been flipped upside down and how sad is it to say that I wish we had last years Oline after watching this sad pile of shit. I honestly thought that was rock bottom last year but now.. and the QB play is exactly the same as last year just instead of Davis overthrowing and Hill throwing inaccurate noodles now we have Foles who does both. when have we seen Foles hit a target in stride. then there's the TE's... idk how any of those players are expected to suddenly do better against AZ and their defense. if the offense plays the same way against AZ I'll just start doing what a did the last couple years, watch the defense and change the channel when the offense comes out.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
The thing that scares me is that the defense seems to have problems stopping fast shifty running backs, like Chris Johnson. They seem to be able to stop the larger power backs but not the fast twitchy guys. Zona is lighting up the scoreboard and we always a hard time scoring on their defense. I have a hard time seeing the Rams winning this game.

rdw

Pro Bowler
This team will be unpredictable early and hit their stride late. I see us beating AZ and losing to GB... then going 8-3 the rest of the way. That's my story and I'm sticking with it, until I change it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-tale-of-four-quarterbacks-your-week-3-nfl-wrap/

Cardinal Sin
carson-palmer-tri.jpg
Norm Hall/Getty Images

The only team that FPI pegs with a greater chance of making the Super Bowl is the only team that has managed to outscore the Patriots so far this season. You may have noticed the Cardinals sneaking into the table of greatest season-opening three-game offenses above, and in fact, Arizona has been an unholy force so far this season. The Cardinals have posted a plus-77 point differential through three games in 2015. That’s the seventh-best figure since the 1970 merger. Four of the six teams with better point differentials than this Cardinals team through three games made it to the Super Bowl, and FPI gives the Cardinals a 41.2 percent chance of following those teams to the big game.

Now, this is awkward. The Cardinals were supposed to decline this year. It’s not even a quarter of the way into the season, and we don’t have to go far to think about a Cardinals team that got off to a dominant start before falling apart, given that the 2012 team started 4-0 before losing 11 of its final 12 games. It’s also simply inaccurate to compare those two teams, and increasingly, it’s becoming inaccurate to compare what the 2014 Cardinals looked like to this 2015 version.

The easy story is that the 2015 Cardinals are what the 2014 Cardinals would have been if Carson Palmer hadn’t gotten hurt. Given that the Cards were 6-0 with Palmer last year and have started 3-0 with Palmer in 2015, one can see why that story makes some sense. On a point basis, though, they’re playing dramatically better:

Year
Palmer Record PF/Gm PA/Gm Diff
2014 6-0 25.8 16.8 9.0
2015 3-0 42.0 16.3 25.7
That’s not the same team. That 2014 Cardinals team, outscoring the opposition by nine points, would be one of the best teams in football in a typical season. They would be like the 2014 Patriots, who outscored their opposition by 9.7 points per game. The 2015 Cardinals would be the best team in NFL history. They would take the 2007 Patriots, who outscored their opposition by 19.7 points per game, and throw another touchdown on for good measure.

And this is mostly happening with the same personnel, at least among the players who were around when Palmer was in the lineup. Arizona’s top two offseason acquisitions haven’t played; former 49ers guard Mike Iupati has missed the first three games after undergoing knee surgery, while first-round pick D.J. Humphries has been a healthy scratch at tackle. The Cardinals got suspended tackle Bobby Massie back for Sunday and have made changes at halfback, with the 2014 version of Andre Ellington swapped out for a combination of rookie David Johnson alongside Ellington in Week 1 and free agent Chris Johnson afterward. Chris Johnson, who floundered in free agency for months, ran for 110 yards and two touchdowns on Sunday.

Otherwise, though, this is basically the same team getting 16.2 points per game more out of its offense with Palmer under center than it was a year ago. How are the Cardinals doing it?

Dominating the red zone. San Francisco became the first team to stop the Cardinals in the red zone this season, with Arizona kicking a field goal solely because there was one second left on the clock at the end of the first half. The Cardinals have now scored 11 touchdowns and one field goal on 12 trips to the red zone this year, meaning that they’ve averaged 6.6 points per red zone possession in 2015.3

That’s otherworldly. It’s also not entirely insane, given that the Cardinals were really good in the red zone with Palmer in 2014. They averaged 5.3 points per red zone possession with him in the lineup, scoring 10 touchdowns and four field goals across 15 trips. With Drew Stanton and Ryan Lindley at the helm, Arizona took 23 trips to the red zone and scored just six touchdowns and 13 field goals, averaging just 3.6 points per possession. That’s almost the difference between the best red zone offense in football over the entire season (Oakland, 5.7 points/possession) and the worst (Jacksonville, 3.8 points/possession). It’s a small sample size, and red zone performance tends to be inconsistent from year to year, but it’s impossible to say that the Cardinals aren’t much better in the red zone with Palmer at the helm.

Getting return touchdowns. It’s hard to credit Palmer for this one, but the Cardinals have been taking extra trips to the house with their quarterback on the sideline. Last year, across their 16-game slate, the Cardinals produced five return touchdowns. Two of those were by Antonio Cromartie and Ted Ginn, who are no longer with the team. That’s not an unreasonable number, and there was little reason to think the Cardinals would be particularly above-average or below-average on returns in 2015, given that return touchdowns are also almost entirely random from year to year.

Things have changed. The Cardinals already have four return touchdowns in three weeks. They picked up two in Week 2, when David Johnson returned the opening kickoff for a score before Tony Jefferson took a Jay Cutler gift to the house. They added two more in the first quarter on Sunday, when Colin Kaepernick threw ugly interceptions to Justin Bethel (playing his first defensive snap of the year) and Tyrann Mathieu for easy pick-sixes. More than nine points per game of Arizona’s offensive improvement have come from return touchdowns alone.

Now, I think even the most aggressive Cardinals fan isn’t going to suggest that Arizona will grab two return touchdowns per week the rest of the way. But creating takeaways is a skill, and the Cardinals could very well be good at that. Mathieu, in particular, is clearly healthier and more productive than he was a year ago. It also helps when the other team makes it easy for you:

Keeping Palmer healthy. The most important thing the Cardinals could have done heading into the season was ensure that Palmer was healthy for as long as possible. That was hardly a guarantee, given that the former Bengals star has a long injury history and was coming off of a season that included nerve damage in his shoulder and his second torn ACL. The Cardinals made those aforementioned moves to beef up their offensive line, but as I noted, both Iupati and Humphries haven’t taken a single snap.

Turns out that it hasn’t mattered. Despite Palmer’s average pass going a league-high 11.1 yards in the air, the Cardinals have done an incredible job of keeping him upright and unmolested. Palmer has had 2.68 seconds to throw before his passes, the fifth-longest rate in the league. And he’s been sacked just once across 91 dropbacks this season, producing a 1.1 percent sack rate that’s the second lowest in football.

Again, it’s probably fair to say that they won’t keep this up, but it’s a question of degree. A 1.1 percent sack rate would be right there with the 1988 Dolphins for the lowest figure in modern league history, but the Cardinals can decline some and still do a great job of protecting Palmer. It’s hard to figure that they’re going to get worse as a pass-blocking unit when Iupati debuts and replaces Ted Larsen at left guard. Palmer was sacked on 3.8 percent of his dropbacks last year; if the Cardinals can improve on that figure, it’ll be a job well done for Bruce Arians & Co.

Can the Cardinals keep this up? Well, it depends on what “this” is. The Cardinals will probably not continue to cash in on 90 percent of their red zone trips with touchdowns or score two return touchdowns a game or allow Palmer to be sacked once a month. They’re probably not going 16-0, either, though I’m not sure even I would listen to me doubt the Cardinals right now.

If “this” means being one of the genuine best teams in football, though, the Cardinals can certainly keep that up. Even if they slip in those aforementioned categories, this offense is playing at a high enough level and is joined by an impressive enough defense that the Cardinals are going to be tough to stop. Their schedule admittedly hasn’t been especially tough so far — their three opponents are a combined 1-5 in non-Cardinals games this season — but when you’re stomping each challenger by nearly four touchdowns per game, it doesn’t matter. The 2014 Cardinals looked like they were going to regress in 2015. The 2015 Cardinals, at least through three weeks, don’t look anything like even the best version of the 2014 Cardinals.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
we couldn't beat the cards @ home w/out palmer

Palmer is a badass QB. When the team settles in and is full strength, I'm betting Foles will be just as good. Adding Quick and Gurley and o-line experience could be huge for this team.

After week 1 I had us undefeated going into the bye. And I didn't feel that was just blind homer faith either.

Please stop. Out homering me isn't allowed.

when have we seen Foles hit a target in stride.

The Britt TD? Many times actually.

This team will be unpredictable early and hit their stride late. I see us beating AZ and losing to GB... then going 8-3 the rest of the way. That's my story and I'm sticking with it, until I change it.

We'll need to co-author that book then.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Rams can win this game. We have the tools.

Palmer’s average pass going a league-high 11.1 yards in the air, the Cardinals have done an incredible job of keeping him upright and unmolested.

The Rams made Big Ben and Wilson look like JAGs. Palmer has enjoyed playing against teams with weak pass rushes. San Fran, New Orleans, and Chicago, COMBINED, have 1 more sack than the Rams. The Rams are tied for best in the NFL. We also have the most tackles in the NFL.

We held Seattle to 18 offensive points and the Steelers to 12. If we can do that against the Cards, we can definitely win.

We need offense. We have offense, it just needs to click.

If the Rams are able to start Gurley and Quick, get TA the damn ball for god's sake, they can beat any defense, IMHO. Britt is already playing very good ball and lining up Quick opposite him will give secondaries nightmares. If Gurley can breath life into the run game, it's a whole different ball game.

Foles is better than his stats. Far better. Without the rash of dropped balls against the Steelers, the Rams win and Foles is considered a good reliable QB. Did that INT suck? Sure. Is it his ONLY int through 12 quarters? Yes, it is. When was the last time we had a QB that is on pace for 5 INTs in a season?

His 3 TDs is low for sure, but that will only improve with an experienced o-line, Gurley, and Quick. Get them in the game, let the o-line mature, and get TA the god damned ball for fuck's sake, and the Rams will have a top half NFL offense. And what the hell is playing an entire LOSING game and not running your best runner?! ZERO carries for a 7.1 YPC runner? Give TA the ball! 5 total offensive touches a game is a fucking crime. Triple that and were probably 2-1 or undefeated.

We will need TOs and a smash mouth game defensively, but we got this.

RamzFanz

Damnit
3 - 58 yards - 19.3 average.

That's Bailey against the Hawks.

1 - 0 yards - 0 average.

That's Bailey since.

I swear to god, are we being sandbagged? Who does this with TA and Bailey? Can it even be explained? We have a rash of dropped balls and Mr Reliable gets zero attempts? We can't get a run to save our lives and TA gets zero attempts? Why is what may be our best WR riding pine?

I can only hope that there are reasons I just have no information on. But I have to say, I'm slowly moving from getting it together towards intentional sandbagging.

I'm now wondering why Fisher went from a public show in a public place with fan questions to a closed show on a closed set with no fan questions. Could he have been aware there would be these unanswerable questions?!

When did Kendricks become a key offensive passing game player?!?! More receptions than Bailey, Austin, Mason, and Givens? What? STOP it Cigi and Fisher. Get your priorities straight! This is a MUST win!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the Rams are able to start Gurley and Quick, get TA the damn ball for god's sake, they can beat any defense, IMHO. Britt is already playing very good ball and lining up Quick opposite him will give secondaries nightmares. If Gurley can breath life into the run game, it's a whole different ball game.

Foles is better than his stats. Far better. Without the rash of dropped balls against the Steelers, the Rams win and Foles is considered a good reliable QB. Did that INT suck? Sure. Is it his ONLY int through 12 quarters? Yes, it is. When was the last time we had a QB that is on pace for 5 INTs in a season?
His 3 TDs is low for sure, but that will only improve with an experienced o-line, Gurley, and Quick. Get them in the game, let the o-line mature, and get TA the god damned ball for freak's sake, and the Rams will have a top half NFL offense. And what the hell is playing an entire LOSING game and not running your best runner?! ZERO carries for a 7.1 YPC runner? Give TA the ball! 5 total offensive touches a game is a freaking crime. Triple that and were probably 2-1 or undefeated............

3 - 58 yards - 19.3 average.That's Bailey against the Hawks

1 - 0 yards - 0 average.

That's Bailey since.

I swear to god, are we being sandbagged? Who does this with TA and Bailey?
Do you work for WVU????

I feel ya, we need to find a way to move the chains on 3rd downs, get guys that can catch the ball, and give this offense a boost. Foles needs help.....I actually think Quick can really help the offense...I like the way TA is coming in motion more...Not sure we need 2 TE's on the field, esp. if they're having problems sustaining blocks & having HUGE drops....