Your thoughts on the OBJ signing 3 games in?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's wanted to play in LA for 4 years now and the feeling has always been mutual. His girlfriend lives in LA. He's a superstar personality who will get endless business opportunities out here. Plus the connection he's already showing with Stafford and the McVay offense. The Rams will be in a very good spot to resign him if they want and I bet they'd get a discount.
A discount? Deandre Hopkins got 27 mill per year. Kenny Golladay got 4 year 72 mill. A "discount" would be somewhere between the 2. Even at 18 mill he'd be too much $$ for the Rams

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A discount? Deandre Hopkins got 27 mill per year. Kenny Golladay got 4 year 72 mill. A "discount" would be somewhere between the 2. Even at 18 mill he'd be too much $$ for the Rams
Not buying it, you can bet Demoff has already been working on it.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Which is why, as a UFA, he will garner top dollar.
Not only is he showing the league that he's physically back, his maturity and adaptability will make signing that check a much lower risk prop
There's literally no way they can re-sign him
Saying there is no way the Rams can re-sign him is a bad bet. They absolutely can re-sign him, it will just take some tough decisions to clear room for him.

We're probably talking Hav being traded and replaced by the OL pipeline. Whit's contract (if he doesn't retire) extended out with a small signing bonus to shrink his cap hit. Woody traded and replaced by Odell. Robinson cut or traded. Guys like Miller and Noteboom leave in FA. And so on and so forth.

It would be difficult for certain. But I would not rule it out when it comes to the Rams. Odell is a guy you make room for IMO.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Saying there is no way the Rams can re-sign him is a bad bet. They absolutely can re-sign him, it will just take some tough decisions to clear room for him.

We're probably talking Hav being traded and replaced by the OL pipeline. Whit's contract (if he doesn't retire) extended out with a small signing bonus to shrink his cap hit. Woody traded and replaced by Odell. Robinson cut or traded. Guys like Miller and Noteboom leave in FA. And so on and so forth.

It would be difficult for certain. But I would not rule it out when it comes to the Rams. Odell is a guy you make room for IMO.
I don't think cutting Woods is an option, It might hurt us more in dead money.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think cutting Woods is an option, It might hurt us more in dead money.
Why do people think we would cut Woody. Rams would have zero problems trading him.

TexasRam

Legend
For the record Corbett had a very rough game vs the Cards from my vantage point. Something to watch. I seem to remember him falling off at the end of last year as well.

Don’t get me wrong, i think he is a solid player for us we should prioritize. Just something to keep an eye on.

Shelton by the way is playing way better than expected. A tab better than Allen in pass pro so far.

Shuie3225

Starter
Why do people think we would cut Woody. Rams would have zero problems trading him.
Exactly. People are assuming there is no way in the world we would ever move on from Woods and trade him, because he's such a leader and great pro. Those things are true, but if you think this franchise wont move on from players you haven't been paying attention. At this point with the ascension of Van Jefferson and seeing OBJ in our system for only 4 games, I would rather trade Woods to resign OBJ. The upside is too much to ignore. OBJ is a little younger and his skill set fits better to me. Having him and Kupp in the red zone will be a huge problem to defend. Especially when Akers is healthy and running the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don’t get me wrong, i think he is a solid player for us we should prioritize. Just something to keep an eye on.
I think he's gone. Certain of it in fact. Rams have depth they like and the pipeline is what they rely on.

Only thing they seem to prioritize is the edge guys. Although maybe Allen is signed if they don't like the depth options behind him and all that.

But Corbett is gone for sure IMO. He's not good enough to be prioritized.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
No You missed my point Merlin, I believe trading him would automatically hit us with dead money. I think trading him or cutting is not an option in 2022, maybe 2023

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No You missed my point Merlin, I believe trading him would automatically hit us with dead money. I think trading him or cutting is not an option in 2022, maybe 2023
Gotcha. I am no cap expert but I always thought trades allowed for tailoring of that cap impact.

In other words the Rams would accept a lesser pick for him and in return that team would take on some of the cap hit. But again in that way I am sort of talking out my ass with no real cap expertise and no desire to get into it either. :laugh4:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Gotcha. I am no cap expert but I always thought trades allowed for tailoring of that cap impact.

In other words the Rams would accept a lesser pick for him and in return that team would take on some of the cap hit. But again in that way I am sort of talking out my ass with no real cap expertise and no desire to get into it either. :laugh4:
you know what, now that you mentioned it I'm not sure that isn't a possibility.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
you know what, now that you mentioned it I'm not sure that isn't a possibility.
I would think the only way you trade Woods is if the other team takes on all the financial burden. Of course right now, no one knows how he recovers.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Bobby Trees is the heart and soul of this offense and that showed when it took three games for it to recover when he was lost for the season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They still take on a huge dead cap hit if they trade him.
They have near 35 mill of next year cap invested in WR. There’s just no room to add another 20 mill. Especially considering they’ll need to invest in the o-line

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I just don’t know if OBJ is doable because of other cap busting player needs.

I mean, yeah, they could DO it but the net result would be to lessen the team.

Our WR room, even without OBJ, is quite strong with Woods, Kupp, and Jefferson, alone. Plus Skow is flashing and this Harris kid is certainly intriguing.

Kupp is untouchable.
Woods is virtually untradeable because of contract terms.
Jefferson is inexpensive and on a great trajectory.

So those 3 guys aren’t going anywhere.

Meanwhile, we need money for Allen, Corbett, and Boom (unless we’re willing to start Shelton and let Allen walk).

DW is already a likely unaffordable cap casualty and there are others, too.

Our apparent needs for next season are these:

RB
CB Maybe even 2 of them if DW walks)
TE (at least a backup who can run block)
Safety (to properly deploy with Fuller)
Edge (if Miller leaves)

These are at a minimum.

And Snead must achieve all the above with a tight cap and mid to lower draft picks.

So I’m thinking that OBJ would be nice but maybe not the best bang for the buck long term.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I'm saying is I wouldn't rule out anything with the Rams. They're cap ninjas.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Working on what? Woods and Kupp have already restructured. Obj isn’t signing for less than 20 mill per

C’mon man what kind of question is that. You know damn well what I was referring to.