Your thoughts on the OBJ signing 3 games in?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

He will be resigned 100%. Dont think people understand how complicated our offense is, how much our WRs are asked to do in this offense, and how incredibly difficult it is to change teams mid season, pick up a new offense and be effective. He's been incredibly effective these last few games.

The real question is...after he resigns do we trade Woods? Do we want to invest that much $ at WR? Van Jeff has proven he deserves a starting role and is on his rookie contract still.

I know Bobby Trees is a great leader and teammate, but lets take the intangibles out for a second. Lets also keep in mind Odell is still learning a new offense after being thrown into the fire, and had zero chemistry with a brand new QB. So looking at their games, what does Woods do better than Odell??

-Block?? Okay yes. Woody has the edge.

-Run after the catch?? Maybe slightly Woods, but OBJ is very good at YAC. But for arguments sake lets give the edge to Woody.

-Route Running?? I'd say this is completely even, maybe an edge to OBJ. OBJ has a bigger route tree, and gets more separation.

-Hands?? OBJ has to have this edge Rob's hands are excellent, but OBJ's are next level elite. Arguably the best in the NFL for years.

-Deep Threat?? OBJ hands down. Woody can be effective down the field but not his game.

-Red Zone?? To me this isn't even close. OBJ is a consistent 1-on-1 nightmare. Slants and fades if hes not doubled are unstoppable in the red zone.

-Overall game speed/acceleration?? OBJ is quicker, faster and more explosive.

-Football IQ?? I would say Rob because I've seen him for years, but seeing how fast OBJ has learned this offense is so damn impressive. His ability to get forward progress today and keep the clock moving late was a prime example.
Beckham has enormous hands. At the NFL combine his hands measured 10.0 inches long. Robert Woods Hand Size 9-1/4"

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
That OBJ running out of bounds backwards, was right up there with Todd Gurley laying it down before the end zone. Two smart plays, in the heat of battle....

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The OBJ signing has been a godsend honestly. Not sure how far we get with just Kupp and Van Jeff out there. 3rd WR Skow? He's not ready for that IMO. If it was possible, I'd be working on resigning OBJ right now. He fits in perfectly with this team.

I also thought that trading Woods was a lot easier after this season based on his contract? Earlier in this post it appeared to not be, but I swear I had heard that it was. Unfortunately, coming off a major injury at his age (not old but not young for NFL), I'm going forward with OBJ in my opinion. Also, OBJ is no slouch out there blocking. I saw a few plays last night were he was getting after his guy blocking.

Love me some Trees though, OBJ just brings a bit more overall.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Woods contract doesn’t look like a good out for a while. Where do you prioritize Beckham???

1639503579943.png

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Love OBJ and those soft, soft hands. Great redzone target as well. Not much NOT to like.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
We aren't going to pay big money for another receiver are we?
Cooks,
Woods,
Kupp.

We can't put all our eggs in one basket.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, he's definitely assuaged a lot of my concerns about him. If we didn't have him, we'd have Kupp and guys like Jefferson and Skowronek as our starters, which is obviously not ideal.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think the decision point could look like... do you re-sign Corbett or Beckham?
You'd have to believe in Evans or just their ability to find another guard, cheap.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think the decision point could look like... do you re-sign Corbett or Beckham?
You'd have to believe in Evans or just their ability to find another guard, cheap.

Corbett easily. I'm sorry, I love OBJ's play right now, but Corbett is just so good in everything he does.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Woods contract doesn’t look like a good out for a while. Where do you prioritize Beckham???

View attachment 50281
Woody is highly productive and does it all. There doesn't need to be an out. Teams would want him at that price in trade.

For the Rams it's simply about upgrading. This is a business and Odell is a different level of player. Not saying it's going to happen but like with Havenstein Woody is a potential trade chip and has been for a while now. It's not an insult either, that means he's a guy who will live up to what he's paid or more and be desired.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Woody is highly productive and does it all. There doesn't need to be an out. Teams would want him at that price in trade.

For the Rams it's simply about upgrading. This is a business and Odell is a different level of player. Not saying it's going to happen but like with Havenstein Woody is a potential trade chip and has been for a while now. It's not an insult either, that means he's a guy who will live up to what he's paid or more and be desired.
How do you do it with his current contract structure?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Corbett easily. I'm sorry, I love OBJ's play right now, but Corbett is just so good in everything he does.
Guards are much easier to replace than the talent Beckham is showing. I do want to keep the Oline as in tact as possible for the continuity and I love Robert Woods but there may be upgrades available.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We aren't going to pay big money for another receiver are we?
Cooks,
Woods,
Kupp.

We can't put all our eggs in one basket.

You can rest assured that the plan is to keep both OBJ and Von Miller.

I may doubt Morris and I may doubt McVay sticking with the run if we're behind, but I absolutely 1000% do not doubt this Rams' team's ability to work the cap.

There's not another team CLOSE to us in cap management.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
OBJ and Miller paid off last night. OBJ looked like Woods and Murray couldn't scramble with Miller on the edge. Both signings may prove to be genius by the end of the season. GO RAMS!

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The increased salary cap might make resigning Odell easier now. I'm hoping we don't break the bank just to resign him, you've got to hope he enjoys playing here enough to give us a discount. He seems to get along great with McVay and the rest of the receiver room. Who wouldn't want to play on a team stacked with Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp and Jalen Ramsey - arguably the best at what they do right now.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I actually since day one when I threw it out there said Obj had matured and while everyone wants the money will he put a price on peace stability happiness and serenity which he hasn't had in a long time.
I believe he comes back on a mutually beneficial deal.
The only way it becomes an issue is if the chargers or whiners get involved and jack the price then it's up to obj obviously.

The day woods got hurt I was really upset and posted or tweeted we may never see these dudes play together. Hope I'm wrong but you just never know with trader Les lol.