LEGEND Your Song of the Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Ok, back to the obscure. Gazpacho, a Norwegian prog band. Hard to describe ... the best I can do is describe them as a cross between Pink Floyd and late-era Talk Talk. I did a review of another one of their albums on a blog that I occasionally contribute to and described their music as "subtle and meticulous" which I also think fits. Anyway:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You must have been blasting a little Loverboy as well then, yeah?

On occasion, there were a few songs by them that I liked. And I saw them as the opening act for ZZ Top once, and they weren't half bad.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
On occasion, there were a few songs by them that I liked. And I saw them as the opening act for ZZ Top once, and they weren't half bad.
I just remember them being on the radio with Billy Squier all the time.
Them, and The Clash, 38 Special, The Police, Duran Duran, etc...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I just remember them being on the radio with Billy Squier all the time.
Them, and The Clash, 38 Special, The Police, Duran Duran, etc...

Yeah, same here. I was heavily into Rush at that time too, they came out with Moving Pictures the same year that Squier came out with his album.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Ok, back to the obscure. Gazpacho, a Norwegian prog band. Hard to describe ... the best I can do is describe them as a cross between Pink Floyd and late-era Talk Talk. I did a review of another one of their albums on a blog that I occasionally contribute to and described their music as "subtle and meticulous" which I also think fits. Anyway:

I like. Thanks for sharing that.
---------------------------------------
Billy Squier was actually a well respected artist until releasing this video and losing much of his male fanbase. Plus looking like Howard Stern probably didn't help.

THE VIDEO THAT KILLED THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL STAR

squierrrrrrrr.jpg

Squier by Andy Warhol.

Can a shitty video kill a musician’s career? In the case of Billy Squier, one did. In a poll of over 400 music industry mover and shakers, Squier’s video for “Rock Me Tonite” (terribly mis-directed by choreographer Kenny Ortega) is considered to be the worst video ever made by a major artist and record label. Mike Kelber, who headed the Capitol Records division responsible for making the video, called it “a whopping steaming turd” and was astonished that such crappy looking production may have been the most expensive video Capitol had made up until that time. The resulting fiasco was devastating for Squier.

In the thoroughly entertaining book I Want My MTV (I keep mine next to the toilet), Squier describes the effect the “Rock Me Tonite” video had on his career with a combination of self-pity and dumbfounded disbelief. He still seems dazed by the fact that his life could be so profoundly altered with such irrevocable swiftness :

When I saw the video, my jaw dropped. It was diabolical. I looked at it and went, “What the fuck is this?”

The video misrepresents who I am as an artist. I was a good-looking, sexy guy. That certainly didn’t hurt in promoting my music. But in this video I’m kind of a pretty boy. And I’m preening around a room. People said “He’s gay.” Or, “He’s on drugs.” It was traumatizing to me. I mean, I had nothing against gays. I have a lot of gay friends.”

The video damaged his reputation among rock fans and Squier went from playing to packed arenas to less than 10,000 people a night.

Everything I worked for was crumbling and I couldn’t stop it. How can a four-minute video do that? Ok, it sucked. So?”

Squier eventually quit rock ‘n’ roll and it’s pretty obvious that the video is what compelled him to retire. Whatever regrets he might have are tempered by the fact that he left the music biz a wealthy man.

The wounds have healed and the scars aren’t that deep, because my life has evolved in a good way. I left the music business when I was forty-three. I don’t have to work. Look who’s smiling now! That video is a bad part of a good life.”

Update: I Want My MTV author Rob Tannebaum wrote us to clarify a point made in my article. Thanks Rob.

There wasn’t an actual poll. My co-author and I interviewed more than 400 people for our oral history, and there was a clear consensus that “Rock Me Tonite” sucked way more than any other sucky video. No other video came close, not even Journey’s “Separate Ways,” which is pretty damn sucky.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like. Thanks for sharing that.
---------------------------------------
Billy Squier was actually a well respected artist until releasing this video and losing much of his male fanbase. Plus looking like Howard Stern probably didn't help.

THE VIDEO THAT KILLED THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL STAR

squierrrrrrrr.jpg

Squier by Andy Warhol.

Can a crappy video kill a musician’s career? In the case of Billy Squier, one did. In a poll of over 400 music industry mover and shakers, Squier’s video for “Rock Me Tonite” (terribly mis-directed by choreographer Kenny Ortega) is considered to be the worst video ever made by a major artist and record label. Mike Kelber, who headed the Capitol Records division responsible for making the video, called it “a whopping steaming turd” and was astonished that such crappy looking production may have been the most expensive video Capitol had made up until that time. The resulting fiasco was devastating for Squier.

In the thoroughly entertaining book I Want My MTV (I keep mine next to the toilet), Squier describes the effect the “Rock Me Tonite” video had on his career with a combination of self-pity and dumbfounded disbelief. He still seems dazed by the fact that his life could be so profoundly altered with such irrevocable swiftness :

When I saw the video, my jaw dropped. It was diabolical. I looked at it and went, “What the freak is this?”

The video misrepresents who I am as an artist. I was a good-looking, sexy guy. That certainly didn’t hurt in promoting my music. But in this video I’m kind of a pretty boy. And I’m preening around a room. People said “He’s gay.” Or, “He’s on drugs.” It was traumatizing to me. I mean, I had nothing against gays. I have a lot of gay friends.”

The video damaged his reputation among rock fans and Squier went from playing to packed arenas to less than 10,000 people a night.

Everything I worked for was crumbling and I couldn’t stop it. How can a four-minute video do that? Ok, it sucked. So?”

Squier eventually quit rock ‘n’ roll and it’s pretty obvious that the video is what compelled him to retire. Whatever regrets he might have are tempered by the fact that he left the music biz a wealthy man.

The wounds have healed and the scars aren’t that deep, because my life has evolved in a good way. I left the music business when I was forty-three. I don’t have to work. Look who’s smiling now! That video is a bad part of a good life.”

Update: I Want My MTV author Rob Tannebaum wrote us to clarify a point made in my article. Thanks Rob.

There wasn’t an actual poll. My co-author and I interviewed more than 400 people for our oral history, and there was a clear consensus that “Rock Me Tonite” sucked way more than any other sucky video. No other video came close, not even Journey’s “Separate Ways,” which is pretty damn sucky.”

My brother turned me onto Piper back in the mid-late 70's, before Billy Squier even burst onto the scene.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hard to believe he (billy squier) didnt realize the video was bad ALTHOUGH he's wearing a PINK wife beater in it ???

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
wife beater:D

There's some serious profit potential if you market that right:whistle:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Never heard of these guys, pretty cool. There's a band in Austin that reminds me of this, can't wait to drop it on them cause it's probably who they're lifting their whole vibe from

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Never heard of these guys, pretty cool. There's a band in Austin that reminds me of this, can't wait to drop it on them cause it's probably who they're lifting their whole vibe from

They are not a very big band in terms of exposure, and all of the members actually have day jobs. They do an album about every 1-2 years and usually do a limited amount of touring over in Europe to support it.

BTW, what is the name of the Austin band you referenced? Would like to check them out if I get a chance.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Are you in the Austin area?
And if you are, have you seen this guy play?

1381796939_musician_34434-1381796927.jpg

(that's my brother)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Are you in the Austin area?
And if you are, have you seen this guy play?

1381796939_musician_34434-1381796927.jpg

(that's my brother)
I'm in the Austin area, yes, but haven't seen these guys and don't get out as much as I'd like to. What is the name of your brother's band? (Wife and I are trying to arrange evening babysitter for more nights out).

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
They are not a very big band in terms of exposure, and all of the members actually have day jobs. They do an album about every 1-2 years and usually do a limited amount of touring over in Europe to support it.

BTW, what is the name of the Austin band you referenced? Would like to check them out if I get a chance.

Gazpacho guys are badass - all I can guess is their perfection doesn't bring the chicks which is what keeps it from being more recognized

The band in question is in the middle of a name crisis right now, it's centered around a Latin phrase, I'm in the midst of trying to get them to simplify the concept - it's a bit operatic and progressive, dudes are in late 20's early 30's - berklee grads, but lacking that ruthless punk energy that just gets shit done, so until they either get their crap together or settle on their Latin name whether its Quo Vadis or Circa Cum Laude who knows I can't say exactly what they are. Their music is really really influenced by these guys by the sound of it though. I just think they are thinking to much instead of rocking. I've been trying to help them but it's not working. Not like shepherding cool 17 year olds to consider better choices, these guys are set in their ways....

Rather save my referral for an Austin band that kicks ass
Although the dynamic in The Austin music scene has changed and even shifted to east austin there are some killer bands out there

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Gazpacho guys are badass - all I can guess is their perfection doesn't bring the chicks which is what keeps it from being more recognized

The band in question is in the middle of a name crisis right now, it's centered around a Latin phrase, I'm in the midst of trying to get them to simplify the concept - it's a bit operatic and progressive, dudes are in late 20's early 30's - berklee grads, but lacking that ruthless punk energy that just gets crap done, so until they either get their crap together or settle on their Latin name whether its Quo Vadis or Circa Cum Laude who knows I can't say exactly what they are. Their music is really really influenced by these guys by the sound of it though. I just think they are thinking to much instead of rocking. I've been trying to help them but it's not working. Not like shepherding cool 17 year olds to consider better choices, these guys are set in their ways....

Rather save my referral for an Austin band that kicks ass
Although the dynamic in The Austin music scene has changed and even shifted to east austin there are some killer bands out there

Are you somehow involved in managing talent in the Austin music scene? That would be a pretty cool gig to have.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm in the Austin area, yes, but haven't seen these guys and don't get out as much as I'd like to. What is the name of your brother's band? (Wife and I are trying to arrange evening babysitter for more nights out).
It's just David Komie. Have you seen his commercials? The Lawyer that Rocks?