You Get One FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think he was so bad that we should over pay for ANOTHER center. And Finnegan was BY FAR the worst starter on this team. He ranked second to last in the NFL according to one of those grading systems that someone put up here. Our QBs didn't fear for their lives every play, and our running game was on point. Explain to me why we need to sink 6-8 million a year into another over priced lineman.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I don't think he was so bad that we should over pay for ANOTHER center. And Finnegan was BY FAR the worst starter on this team. He ranked second to last in the NFL according to one of those grading systems that someone put up here. Our QBs didn't fear for their lives every play, and our running game was on point. Explain to me why we need to sink 6-8 million a year into another over priced lineman.

Mack is in his prime, is probably the best center in the league and he would be a instant upgrade.

Wells is growing long In the tooth and often injured, he's decent but not as good as Mack.

Edit* its not really a need as much, id see FS more as a need than C though.

A55VA6

Legend
He's the one starter we certainly need to replace this offseason. Him and Mcleod, though Mcleod has a bright future as a third safety and backup nickleback.

I agree. I really really like McLeod. I'm not sure if he's meant to be a starter in the NFL... but he's a good player and and versatile. Can play the nickel / dime CB well, and he can be a great backup at both safety spots. You need that depth.

I personally think we should cut Chris Williams.. or is he a FA?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams need to get more talented,durable and younger on the OLine. Mack gives you all of that.
Wells,Dahl,Saffold and now possibly,unfortunately Long too....
th

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't have a problem with getting Mack. My problem is that we already have Wells. If we can cut him and save enough, then great. But why have both.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't have a problem with getting Mack. My problem is that we already have Wells. If we can cut him and save enough, then great. But why have both.
I'm advocating cutting Wells to sign Mack,obviously. Signing Wells was a good idea at the time that turned out to be a mistake. It happens and it'll happen again.
The jury is still out on the J.Long signing in terms of durability. Thank the football Gods that Saffold is a FA tbh. Let someone else overpay for his 8 games/year of quality performance.

I have zero patience for football players who cant line up and play every week and finish games. I don't care if they make millions or the NFL minimum. I don't care of they're potential is through the roof or if they're established pro bowlers or JAG's. Its a rough sport and not everyone has the body or mind to hold up to the demands of the pro game i get that,but when a guy can't be counted on you have to cut your losses and keep on moving forward. Tinoisamoa,Avery,DX,Amendola,D.Stewart,Saffold and now Wells(to name a few). All talented guys who simply can't take it physically. "Thank you for your services and goodbye and good luck to you."

Laurinaitis is a guy who i have just recently started to hear fans/posters point out as a guy who could/should be replaced because he isn't one of those big time,big play,big hitting monster MLB's. The dude hasn't missed a game in five full seasons,doesn't complain,will stick his nose into the shit for a tackle and is a leader. I love that. Give me those guys over china doll all world talented guys like Percy Harvin.

Quality OLine play is as much about talent as it is about continuity IMO. The Rams have had neither since forever. I'm tired of it.
rant/ :mad: :)

Sum1

Hall of Fame
A) Replacing Williams doesn't equal sinking any amount of money into another player. Those are two different things. B) The money isn't mine, so I couldn't care less how much a player makes. C ) There is a cap and a floor and the money has to be spent somewhere in that regard...and the they aren't as tight to the cap as many perceive, especially after making the cuts they will.

Also...there are going to be FA guards on the market that are better than Williams that aren't going to command top tier money. Advocating upgrading that position is not advocating breaking the bank.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not saying let's keep Williams, I'm saying I'm okay with taking the chance of landing a gem in the draft, and if we have him for one more year, so be it.

fearsomefour

Legend
Barnes has played well when he's played, and Jones was drafted for the purpose of being a center, not a guard. So bringing in a high priced OL FA like we did with Wells would be stupid imo.
Barnes was a lateral move in terms of replacing Wells. Jones has not been able to get on the field, so, that is counting an egg that has not hatched. Now Barnes could certainly continue to improve and if Jones is such a no brainer he can play G.
What would be stupid, in my humble opinion, is passing on a guy who is one of the best at his position at 25 in favor of a guy with 4 starts and another with 0.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Barnes was a lateral move in terms of replacing Wells. Jones has not been able to get on the field, so, that is counting an egg that has not hatched. Now Barnes could certainly continue to improve and if Jones is such a no brainer he can play G.
What would be stupid, in my humble opinion, is passing on a guy who is one of the best at his position at 25 in favor of a guy with 4 starts and another with 0.

Alex Mack is 28.(not that it would deter me from signing him)

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Chris Williams was a turnstile and I agree w/ Sum1BTRthnU. Its was not even close he was by far the worst starter. Poor Boo had to send him out

crazyhorns

Rookie
Saffold.

After we re-sign him, we won't have a ton of money so I'd say a FS like Chris Clemons, Michael Griffin or Louis Delmas.

And please no on Kenny Britt. Guy was atrocious this year on the field(before he was benched). And speculation is that he was one of the guys that Delanie Walker called out for not caring and basically quitting on the team. He caught only 33% of his targets and dropped 21.2% of his targets. He was very arguably the least effective WR in football.

So do you ignore the year he was having prior to his injury. It usually takes a skill position if your not named AP 2 years to fully recover from a knee injury. So I would not be too concern because the kid has crazy talent. His problem is between the ears and his attitude. I think Fisher and the leaders on this team can handle Britt and if not make his contract easy to cut him if it gets to be too much drama

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So do you ignore the year he was having prior to his injury. It usually takes a skill position if your not named AP 2 years to fully recover from a knee injury. So I would not be too concern because the kid has crazy talent. His problem is between the ears and his attitude. I think Fisher and the leaders on this team can handle Britt and if not make his contract easy to cut him if it gets to be too much drama

I did. Because it was 3 years ago. The kid was arguably the least effective WR in football last year. I don't want him. We have enough WRs. Just need a true #1.

Let someone else have that headache. But you're welcome to your opinion. Agree to disagree.

fearsomefour

Legend
In sure Mack would cost more than Wells. However with Saffold and Williams expiring and if Dahl and Wells are cut this frees up about $10.8 M. This should be enough to resign Barnes and a low cost FA or two or a larger signing like Mack. If Williams is basically retained at his cost it is not a terrible move in that he can provide depth in a couple of spots.
Lets say Mack runs $6M would you rather bring in a couple of lower cost guys for the same total?
In reality I don't think the team is going to do much.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Anyone our new DC says is worth his salt. :D I guess that means I'm voting for a defensive FA - FS, Byrd (totally blind pick as I just know the hype and not the player). Our offense is too much of a mess for me to even begin contemplating FA movement on that side of the ball. I just hope we draft some OL because I'm tired of the revolving door of mediocrity at the position. It makes my arguing for or against any particular skill player a moot point.

That said, our offense seemed a hell of a lot better with Saffold playing guard...