WR trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Boy have times changed for the better as a Rams fan. I remember when we were struggling to find a decent WR1.
I remember being happy for Brandon Lloyd or Kenny Britt.
Now we not only have a WR1A but we have a WR1B and a decent WR3/WR4 tandem. And we are worried if BOTH of WR1A/WR1B go down.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
What they don't have is quality depth at WR. Demarcus Robinson does not count because the Rams usually are in three-WR-sets. The depth at WR is Atwell and Whittington. If Kupp or Nacua are out for multiple games, the Rams take a big hit at wide receiver, and that could mean a big hit to the Offense ... in my opinion.
Does a veteran WR want to sign to our squad just to be the 4-5th WR in case someone gets hurt? Desean Jackson wasn’t happy with that role.

Also, does this mean you want us to carry 6 WRs on the active roster? Sometimes we only carry 5, and I don’t think they want to sign someone and push our draft pick to the practice squad.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
That's not how I see it.

I Expect Byron Young and Jared Verse to start at Edge. I don't Expect either to get injured but they might.

I Expect the two Kamrens (Curl and Kinchens) to start at Safety. I don't Expect either to get injured but might.

Given their histories, the positions that they play, the way they are utilized, and, ESPECIALLY, the way they play ... I DO EXPECT Cooper Kupp, Puka Nacua and Kyren Williams to miss some time with injuries. Hope not!

And the loss of any one of those three players could have a major impact on the Offense ... which, I believe, the Rams are counting-on for a successful season.
I'm not sure that Kinchens is going to start as a rookie. I would like to see what Jason Taylor could do for us after a year of sitting and learning about the position.

~ArkyRamsFan~

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I saw this idea floated by Memphis awhile back and since we have nothing much to talk about why not. Saw this on NFLtraderumors trade block page:

Treylon Burks for a 5th round pick /(which the Rams don’t have right now anyway) late round pick swap?

View attachment 65690

View: https://youtu.be/JLgI8Gz_Re8?si=-dAqG5_yGN-erqPA

I love this idea.

Burks is 24… Woods was 25 when we grabbed him pre-Josh Allen.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Our top 2 RB, OT, OG, CB etc etc etc go down we have a problem.
Absolutely. Injuries can derail a team. I was around in 2022! Wish I had chosen that season to be in a coma.

My point is the Rams' starters at those positions ... except for Kyren Williams and, maybe Tre'Davious White ... are NOT More Likely to go-down with injuries than most any other projected starter on the Rams.

Not just WR's and that's not even mentioning QB.

However, in my opinion, Kupp and Nacua (along with Stafford) ... for the specific reasons I had mentioned ... ARE More Likely to go-down with an injury than most other Rams' starters.

And, that's the reason it's so important to have quality depth ...
A quality-QB behind Stafford ... Check!
A quality-RB behind Williams ... Check!
And, a quality-WR behind Kupp and Nacua ...
1716833407822.png

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I only mentioned Burks as a possible option given the Rams rumored interest in a bigger WR (Courtland Sutton, Mike Evans) this offseason and the Rams rumored interest in him the year he was drafted. His still being on a cheaper rookie contract seems nice, too.

His spot on the depth chart? I'd assume that he'd be either #5 or #6 initially. But, with the potential to eventually crack the top 3.

IMO, Burks got a raw deal in being unfairly asked to immediately replace A.J. Brown. His 49 receptions during his first couple of season are more than what both Atwell and Robinson had during their first couple of seasons with far better QB play and in far better offenses.

The kids got a new front office and coaching staff that didn't draft him and methinks he might turn out to be a Kevin Doston type steal of a trade for the team. But with a cheap two years left on his rookie contract and a 5th year option if he pans out.
I didn’t know the Rams had interest in Burks in the draft.

A lot can happen between now and the trade deadline. If they were high on Burks before the draft, then they usually hold some interest afterwards.

Burks looks like he’d fit the offense , but his role is similar to Puka’s. Maybe that would rule him out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely. Injuries can derail a team. I was around in 2022! Wish I had chosen that season to be in a coma.

My point is the Rams' starters at those positions ... except for Kyren Williams and, maybe Tre'Davious White ... are NOT More Likely to go-down with injuries than most any other projected starter on the Rams.
We recently had an OL where almost the entire OL went down multiple times including our two OT and our free agent signing LG is coming back from an injury. Our top 2 QB's both recently have suffered injuries. Our top TE might not start the season. Kyren as you say has had recent injuries. White as you say is coming back from multiple injures and DW played two full seasons but missed games every year he was with us. My point is every position has the potential to be a disaster if starters go down it's not exclusive to WR.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Does a veteran WR want to sign to our squad just to be the 4-5th WR in case someone gets hurt?

Probably not too many.

I have seen Sutton and Burks mentioned; and, I don't think they would be too happy about playing behind Kupp and Nacua, and competing with Robinson.

That's why I keep mentioning Hunter Renfrow ... or a similar player.

Renfrow is a veteran that has already made some nice money, played in just one playoff game in five years (his team lost), was a 2-time National Champion at Clemson, should be able to pick-up the offense quickly (like Demarcus Robinson did last year), would seem like someone that Stafford could get comfortable with quickly if need be (again, like Robinson) and could even help on Special Teams.

A player like that might sign a one-year deal for about $2M with some incentives.

I know I would feel much better about things.
Like when I view a Boobie or Booty image you post on my two favorite, non-football threads.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
... My point is every position has the potential to be a disaster if starters go down it's not exclusive to WR.

I completely agree with the above comment. It's simple, basic and true for all teams, every year.

However, I ALSO think some players are MORE LIKELY to go down than others ... not because of their position ... but because of their injury history, how they are utilized and how they play the game.

And, I think Kupp and Nacua clearly fall into that category; and, either would be a significant loss.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
IMO, I believe the Rams can deal with an injury to Kupp or Nacua, but not both. I also believe the Rams are going with more 12 personnel this year with 2 TE's and 2 WR's so you have to factor that in too.

Also I like Atwell more than you, he catches everything that comes his way and if the QB's could actually be more consistent on their deep throw, Atwell would have had more big plays. As is, he was responsible for many interference penalties. If Jordan Whittington stays healthy, he will be an asset too.

As to making a trade for a WR, the Rams currently only have three WR's under contract in 2025, so I could see a trade for that reason, but I believe if they make a deal, it will be for Courtland Sutton of the Broncos.

I’m with you on Atwell. I’ve rewatched the highlights of last season and the stretch run a few times the last couple months and he shows out. He’s got great hands, and, you’re right, even Stafford had a hard time throwing the ball deep enough or early enough for Atwell to run under it—hence the PIs.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've floated the idea of a trade months ago. But not to gain a player but to gain a draft pick. If Whittenton looks as good as I would expect in TC it makes Tutu available. The Chargers are very needy at WR. Their drafted WR has got shitty hands. This would seem a logical move because Atwell can be a starter on that team. The Rams could get a second round pick to replace the one they traded away for Fiske.

Tutu is looking good in OTAs and he's in a contract year at the age of 25. I'm surprised he didn't get traded during the draft. It would give the Rams another $1.8M in cap giving them about $8.6M of cap space going into the season. This allows them to make moves during the season for injuries etc. It would allow them to sign an "affordable" player for depth like at CB like Ahkello Witherspoon.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
Does a veteran WR want to sign to our squad just to be the 4-5th WR in case someone gets hurt? Desean Jackson wasn’t happy with that role.

Also, does this mean you want us to carry 6 WRs on the active roster? Sometimes we only carry 5, and I don’t think they want to sign someone and push our draft pick to the practice squad.
If there is a diva on the field…..he is at the WR position.

all we need now is a malcontent to work division from the inside cuz he mad about not enough touches……..

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
In a world where anything is possible, THAT is impossible.

It would be impossible, even in my multiversal stories where anything and everything can happen, has happened, and will happen.

Basically, I'm a crazy gal, but I'm not that crazy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Probably not too many.

I have seen Sutton and Burks mentioned; and, I don't think they would be too happy about playing behind Kupp and Nacua, and competing with Robinson.

That's why I keep mentioning Hunter Renfrow ... or a similar player.

Renfrow is a veteran that has already made some nice money, played in just one playoff game in five years (his team lost), was a 2-time National Champion at Clemson, should be able to pick-up the offense quickly (like Demarcus Robinson did last year), would seem like someone that Stafford could get comfortable with quickly if need be (again, like Robinson) and could even help on Special Teams.

A player like that might sign a one-year deal for about $2M with some incentives.

I know I would feel much better about things.
Like when I view a Boobie or Booty image you post on my two favorite, non-football tifhreads.
Disagree.

If the Rams trade for and pay Sutton I doubt there would be any competition with Robinson at all. Sutton would automatically be the 3rd WR and take reps as the #1 or #2 WR from time to time. Burks on the other hand is fighting for a 5th or 6th spot right now would probably be thrilled for a shot to compete to be #3 on a contender.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Does a veteran WR want to sign to our squad just to be the 4-5th WR in case someone gets huIrt? Desean Jackson wasn’t happy with that role.

Has there been a time when McVay has only carried 5 WRs on the roster? I can't recall that ever happening. I remember 6 and even 7 one or two years. But only 5? Makes sense not to running 11 personnel about 90% of the time.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I wouldn’t give anything for Burks.

He had around 450 yds in 11 games his rookie year.
Then he comes back and gets 250 yds in his second season, in 11 games played?

It’s not like he was trying to get time in a very deep WR room. He was fully expected to be a large contributor.

I know he’s still very young, but something seems up with this kid. More than just injuries.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Disagree.

If the Rams trade for and pay Sutton I doubt there would be any competition with Robinson at all. Sutton would automatically be the 3rd WR and take reps as the #1 or #2 WR from time to time. Burks on the other hand is fighting for a 5th or 6th spot right now would probably be thrilled for a shot to compete to be #3 on a contender.
How dare you disagree with me! Who do you think you are?!?

Do you know what happened to the last poster to disagree with me? OK, he's doing just fine.

Seriously though, you may be right but my guess is that Sutton does not want to be a #3 WR anywhere and will be looking for a big-$ extension, with an average-annual value of more than $20M-per-year. His last extension averaged more than $15M-per-year and that was in 2021. WR contracts have exploded since then.

I just don't see that as a good salary cap fit for the Rams.

Ram65

Legend
WR looks solid. I go back to Snead always having a pulse on the market. You have to imagine Snead gets his phone calls/texts answered rather quickly. I don't know about Burks but, think MaCay wants to see what he drafted and signed first.

dang

Legend
There’s ample evidence the Rams were interested in Mike Evans in FA this year. Even though they had Kupp and Nacua. The signing of Robinson and drafting of Whittington didn’t over that. So IMO there is still some desire to be on the lookout for another WR weapon.