WR John Ross?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I think we should draft a WR this year and if we make FA moves id address the OL before anything else then look at edge or ILB.

socalmab

UDFA
Is WR John Ross a reasonable possibility for the Rams or is he really way out of reach? Seems like his SPEED and Stafford’s ARM could be a good combination IF the price is right!
I have been pounding the table for Ross for awhile, I think my first post on this board. I like Marvin Jones but Ross has been stuck in Cinci which is as close to purgatory you can get in the pros. he would be cheap and perfect for this offense

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You're probably right but I get the feeling they are far from done and we will see them make a move for a wide out that can get behind the DBs. Maybe via the draft, but I will be surprised if they don't make a move and figure out some restructuring.

There are so many options it's pretty tough to single out just one to really fly with. From what we've read previously, it appears if the Rams restructure Donald & Ramsey, as well as extend Stafford for another year or two, we can potentially break even or perhaps even gain a couple $mil. in available CAP. Seems if the Rams want to retain Floyd, it's likely that at least one of Havenstein or Brockers would have to be traded. Next comes the decision about our Center situation, will Corbett nail down the position as the starter and we draft a mid-round Center as back-up, ... or must we use further free agent money to go after someone like Linsley to start at Center ? If it becomes necessary to pursue a free agent Center, that could spell the end of both Brockers & Havenstein. Then again, if Corbett has won the Center position, we could use that available CAP on a free agent WR, although that also spells the end for Hav & Brock.
I don't believe we can cheaply replace a guy like Floyd in free agency or the draft and expect the same results he delivered last season in 2021, so Floyd is my 1'st choice for how to spend free agency money. We are pretty deep at RT and on the DL, so I have no problem trading Hav or Brock or both for a couple draft picks and a good amount of CAP relief, so for me, the decision to spend on a WR or Center comes down to how much faith management has in Corbett moving to Center. If we indeed need to use free agency on a player that is sure to start, our needs will be higher at Center than at WR as we are currently much deeper at WR, ... and if it comes down to the upcoming draft, it is also far deeper at WR than at Center. OK Mr. Corbett, it's time for you to answer the bell ... jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The point of the discussion is if Jones wants to come to LA for cheap, should we sign him? The easy answer is yes. We do need to add a speed WR I agree... but who do you want to add??? We cant afford Golloday, we cant afford Fuller. The only other options for FA are Agholar and Ross. Ross is terrible and isn't a fit for McVay. Like I said the probability is we add a deep threat WR in the draft and sign Jones for cheap if we are going to sign a FA WR.

Honestly, I'd rather draft two receivers: one with speed and punt return ability, another with size. There's plenty of receivers who fit the bill in this class. It's not a veteran signing, but that's what I'd do. We already have vets at receiver (let's not forget that Jefferson will be twenty-five around draft day; we need to know what we have in him.)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
So, we get an upgrade at QB and then release Kupp and downgrade at WR? No. Dont you want to see how good Kupp can be with Stafford? I do, and i think McVay does too.

Also why doesn’t anyone think Jefferson can provide that deep threat? Hes fast enough.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There are so many options it's pretty tough to single out just one to really fly with. From what we've read previously, it appears if the Rams restructure Donald & Ramsey, as well as extend Stafford for another year or two, we can potentially break even or perhaps even gain a couple $mil. in available CAP. Seems if the Rams want to retain Floyd, it's likely that at least one of Havenstein or Brockers would have to be traded. Next comes the decision about our Center situation, will Corbett nail down the position as the starter and we draft a mid-round Center as back-up, ... or must we use further free agent money to go after someone like Linsley to start at Center ? If it becomes necessary to pursue a free agent Center, that could spell the end of both Brockers & Havenstein. Then again, if Corbett has won the Center position, we could use that available CAP on a free agent WR, although that also spells the end for Hav & Brock.
I don't believe we can cheaply replace a guy like Floyd in free agency or the draft and expect the same results he delivered last season in 2021, so Floyd is my 1'st choice for how to spend free agency money. We are pretty deep at RT and on the DL, so I have no problem trading Hav or Brock or both for a couple draft picks and a good amount of CAP relief, so for me, the decision to spend on a WR or Center comes down to how much faith management has in Corbett moving to Center. If we indeed need to use free agency on a player that is sure to start, our needs will be higher at Center than at WR as we are currently much deeper at WR, ... and if it comes down to the upcoming draft, it is also far deeper at WR than at Center. OK Mr. Corbett, it's time for you to answer the bell ... jmo.
What you are saying is where I would say logic crosses what this regime has been doing. They seem to buck the odds every season with some trades and moves none of us saw coming. While I agree in principle with most of what you are saying, I still won't be surprised if we make a move to bring in a FA receiver or make a trade for one.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oh I know it sounds batty. My preference would be to bring in Marvin Hall Jr. But, overall while I understand that Kupp is a great slot WR, I'd rather the money being spent on him be used on a veteran Olineman. IMO, the best center in free agency, Corey Lindsey, can probably be had for less than what they are paying Kupp. A stud slot WR is far easier to find than a stud center, IMO. Especially, with these deep WR draft classes lately.

I understand that contract restructuring can change these numbers, but this team has the 5th highest cap number going to WR in the NFL. The Oline? 23rd.

Problem is that while some guys are FA, that doesn't mean they're realistically available.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Linsley shook loose (as long as no one good ever goes to the 9ers), but seems to me after this year, the Pack probably doesn't want to take a step back with their OL.

I dunno. I'm increasingly becoming aware that I have no f'n idea what the hell is on GMs minds these days or how they plan to deal with this cap.

If I'm a mid-level vet, I'm packing up my house. If I stay, great. Call it doing the Marie Kondo thing. If not...saved some time...

I think Shakespeare said it best... and I'm sure he was thinking of the NFL after a pandemic when he said it, "beware the Ides of March"

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you actually watch the games or just go look at the stats guy? The answer is obvious because Golloday hurt his hip and played 5 games this year. There's no question who the #1 has been in Detroit sorry.
You said the last 3 years. Golladay has played 36 games, Jones 38. Why do you discount Golladay injury, but not Jones? Hasnt been a season where both were healthy all 16.
And frankly, you need to drop the "Do you actually watch the games or just go look at the stats guy? " crap. Not how things are discussed around here

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also why doesn’t anyone think Jefferson can provide that deep threat? Hes fast enough.
I agree
He was open deep (Wolford missed him) and that really made me wonder if the deep threat was truly missing or was JG just not looking deep any more.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Glenngarry Glen Ross seems to be always hurt so I would pass, hopefully, they can find someone that can return punts and also line up wide and stretch the field.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Problem is that while some guys are FA, that doesn't mean they're realistically available.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Linsley shook loose (as long as no one good ever goes to the 9ers), but seems to me after this year, the Pack probably doesn't want to take a step back with their OL.

I dunno. I'm increasingly becoming aware that I have no f'n idea what the hell is on GMs minds these days or how they plan to deal with this cap.

If I'm a mid-level vet, I'm packing up my house. If I stay, great. Call it doing the Marie Kondo thing. If not...saved some time...

I think Shakespeare said it best... and I'm sure he was thinking of the NFL after a pandemic when he said it, "beware the Ides of March"

No idea what's going to happen. Just a possible scenario given they drafted a center in Elgton Jenkins a couple years ago. He's shined at guard since, but given the dropping salary cap and the Packers being in about the same boat as the Rams capwise, it's possible. Hey, they let Bryan Bulaga go? Who knows?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No idea what's going to happen. Just a possible scenario given they drafted a center in Elgton Jenkins a couple years ago. He's shined at guard since, but given the dropping salary cap and the Packers being in about the same boat as the Rams capwise, it's possible. Hey, they let Bryan Bulaga go? Who knows?

Linsley is one of the few guys that I drop it all for. Just like with Ramsey (although not that dominant), you just don't see pro-bowl caliber guys shake loose like this very often.

yeah, he'd muck up the compensation we've been reliant on, but he solves our biggest hole.

Which leads me to believe that they're gonna go with the home grown guy and we'll see how that works out.

figures the ONE place the Rams refuse to upgrade with FAs is the OL...

We'll see. Like I said, I'm so lost this off-season, I have no idea what's gonna happen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been pounding the table for Ross for awhile, I think my first post on this board. I like Marvin Jones but Ross has been stuck in Cinci which is as close to purgatory you can get in the pros. he would be cheap and perfect for this offense
There's a big difference between purgatory and Brian Quick type production.
While Ross has been in Cincy, 3 separate WR have had over 900 yard seasons, Ross has barely 700 total in his entire 4 year career.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
There's a big difference between purgatory and Brian Quick type production.
While Ross has been in Cincy, 3 separate WR have had over 900 yard seasons, Ross has barely 700 total in his entire 4 year career.

So, he’s well rested