WR John Ross?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I would think the preference would be for a veteran. But if it could happen remains to be seen

Like some other free agent scenarios which have come up, I'd still prefer re-signing Floyd, and if there is more available CAP, then use it on a Center like Linsley, but that's just me. It's a deep draft for WR's, so that's the route I would take. jmo.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
If they are all in on Stafford and this team in general. I don't think they going to put some rookie out there to stretch the defense. Certain important position become more important than before if Stafford has the cannon we know he has and that becomes a position of focus now for Mcvay to let the playbook just open up.

As far as Marvin Jones he seems like he will play for free lol. He just wants Stafford and LA. He and others are texting Stafford they want to play with him and the rams. I wonder who?

Lastly I posted this once before it's a deceiving stat but one worth noting ....tyreek hill led the league in 20 yard + receptions with 20 second was Marvin Jones with 19. Surprised me.

Kupp was Goffs best buddy. Do the rams trade kupp he litterally has missed every important game the rams have had and I love the guy. Do they save with Jones and stick with Jefferson and add a John Ross?

Do they just add Jones and that's it 4 receivers with talent?

Or add just Ross?

I can't wait for this offseason to see how their plan unfolds.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams should totally sign John Ross

....To the practice squad....

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Seems like Marvin Jones is going to sign in LA. So that means Will Fuller and Nelson Agholar are probably out. Ross is a colossal bust and McVay doesnt like WRs that cant run good routes. It's not going to happen.

My guess is Marvin Jones and a mid round rookie speed WR.

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1358469928806985736?s=20

I'm sorry, but let's see what we have in Jefferson over Jones. Jones is a bankrupt man's Robert Woods, and he's thirty.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like Marvin Jones is going to sign in LA. So that means Will Fuller and Nelson Agholar are probably out. Ross is a colossal bust and McVay doesnt like WRs that cant run good routes. It's not going to happen IMO.

My guess is Marvin Jones and a mid round rookie speed WR.

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1358469928806985736?s=20

Real curious who some of those players are that have said they want to join Stafford in L.A.! I really hope these rumors are TRUE!!! Could get very interesting!!!

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry, but let's see what we have in Jefferson over Jones. Jones is a bankrupt man's Robert Woods, and he's thirty.

Jones is proven in this league and Stafford will be able to provide more insight than anyone on him. I agree he's very similar to Woods and Kupp as a possession type... but Kupp gets hurt every year. If Jones wants to come for cheap I'd do it. Then draft our speed guy or let Jefferson run a lot of the deep routes.

Jones has 32TDs the past 4 years to Woods 19TDs FYI.. dont think you're giving him the proper respect or watched him play enough.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they’re bringing in Marvin Jones, they’ll certainly be trading either Woods or Kupp.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Jones is proven in this league and Stafford will be able to provide more insight than anyone on him. I agree he's very similar to Woods and Kupp as a possession type... but Kupp gets hurt every year. If Jones wants to come for cheap I'd do it. Then draft our speed guy or let Jefferson run a lot of the deep routes.

Jones has 32TDs the past 4 years to Woods 19TDs FYI.

Because Detroit is a passing offense, and Jones has been the main target for four years. That doesn't make him better; it just means that he's had more targets than Woods. But why would we run with four possession receivers (and Jefferson is a possession receiver) in our corps? Yes, I could see Jones as an option if Kupp/Woods was traded, but I don't know if they will, even if I have it in a mock draft.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think there are a handful of deep threat type WRs that could
be had on prove it deals. Fuller and Ross are among them.

Kupp stays @Memphis Ram

MachS

Hall of Fame
Because Detroit is a passing offense, and Jones has been the main target for four years. That doesn't make him better; it just means that he's had more targets than Woods. But why would we run with four possession receivers (and Jefferson is a possession receiver) in our corps? Yes, I could see Jones as an option if Kupp/Woods was traded, but I don't know if they will, even if I have it in a mock draft.

I'm not disagreeing he's similar to Woods and Kupp. He is. But he's also a very good WR. And you're wrong, Kenny Golloday has been Detroit's #1 WR the past 3 years. If he wants to come for cheap I think we should take a look. You said he's a "bankrupt Robert Woods" and that's just disrespectful, I dont think you've watched his game. Is Woods better? Yes for sure, but you dont turn away good pro WRs if they will come for cheap. We can draft a rookie speed WR in the mid rounds. The only FA deep threat WRs that really fit are Fuller (who we cant afford) and Agholar. So it's likely we draft a speed WR with a mid round pick regardless.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Too many important needs to pursue a top flight WR in free agency with our current 2021 CAP situation, and trading either Kupp or Woods now triggers another huge dead money hit, better to trade one of them following the upcoming season when the hit is far less if that's what the team feels they require. Lets see what Stafford can do with Van Jeff, Woods, Kupp & Webster first, and there should be plenty of WR talent available in the middle rounds of the draft, it's a very deep year for receivers. jmo.
You're probably right but I get the feeling they are far from done and we will see them make a move for a wide out that can get behind the DBs. Maybe via the draft, but I will be surprised if they don't make a move and figure out some restructuring.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think there are a handful of deep threat type WRs that could
be had on prove it deals. Fuller and Ross are among them.

Kupp stays @Memphis Ram

Oh I'm pretty certain that he probably will stay. They'll probably restructure his contact to save money against the cap.
I'd just rather that they deal him and use the $10 million cap savings on the OLine.

Others disagree, but IMO a stud veteran center + a good rookie slot WR in a deep draft class > Cooper Kupp, IMO.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm not disagreeing he's similar to Woods and Kupp. He is. But he's also a very good WR. And you're wrong, Kenny Golloday has been Detroit's #1 WR the past 3 years. If he wants to come for cheap I think we should take a look. You said he's a "bankrupt Robert Woods" and that's just disrespectful, I dont think you've watched his game. Is Woods better? Yes for sure, but you dont turn away good pro WRs if they will come for cheap. We can draft a rookie speed WR in the mid rounds. The only FA deep threat WRs that really fit are Fuller (who we cant afford) and Agholar. So it's likely we draft a speed WR with a mid round pick regardless.

He's a bankrupt Robert Woods. I'm sticking to that. Golladay has been the number one, true, but Jones is the possession receiver who gets more targets. He's in an offense that has had no running game, where his team has passed the ball most of the time, so of course he has more touchdowns than Woods, who is in an offense that marries the run and pass, where Woods actually has to run-block. And you never answered my question. Why do we need four possession receivers who all do the same thing without a semblance of a deep threat between the four of them? Why do we pick up a possession receiver who's already thirty years old instead of drafting two mid-to-late round picks? Why don't we draft a receiver who can supplant Webster as a punt/kick returner?

I'm sorry, but Marvin Jones is not the answer we're looking for. John Ross is not the answer we're looking for. Golladay would be, but we're not getting him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ross was never that good and got drafted as a project that busted. Hard pass, 4.2 doesn’t mean jack when have no clue what to do with it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And you're wrong, Kenny Golloday has been Detroit's #1 WR the past 3 years
Dont know about that.
Last 3 years:
Jones- 173 Rec, 2265 yards, 23 TD
Golladay- 155 Rec, 2591 yards, 18 TD

Memphis Ram

Legend
My guess is that unless Marvin Jones JR is willing to take a significant pay cut, he probably won't be wearing Ram Horns.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Dont know about that.
Last 3 years:
Jones- 173 Rec, 2265 yards, 23 TD
Golladay- 155 Rec, 2591 yards, 18 TD

Do you actually watch the games or just go look at the stats guy? The answer is obvious because Golloday hurt his hip and played 5 games this year. There's no question who the #1 has been in Detroit sorry.

MachS

Hall of Fame
He's a bankrupt Robert Woods. I'm sticking to that. Golladay has been the number one, true, but Jones is the possession receiver who gets more targets. He's in an offense that has had no running game, where his team has passed the ball most of the time, so of course he has more touchdowns than Woods, who is in an offense that marries the run and pass, where Woods actually has to run-block. And you never answered my question. Why do we need four possession receivers who all do the same thing without a semblance of a deep threat between the four of them? Why do we pick up a possession receiver who's already thirty years old instead of drafting two mid-to-late round picks? Why don't we draft a receiver who can supplant Webster as a punt/kick returner?

I'm sorry, but Marvin Jones is not the answer we're looking for. John Ross is not the answer we're looking for. Golladay would be, but we're not getting him.

The point of the discussion is if Jones wants to come to LA for cheap, should we sign him? The easy answer is yes. We do need to add a speed WR I agree... but who do you want to add??? We cant afford Golloday, we cant afford Fuller. The only other options for FA are Agholar and Ross. Ross is terrible and isn't a fit for McVay. Like I said the probability is we add a deep threat WR in the draft and sign Jones for cheap if we are going to sign a FA WR.