WR John Ross?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Is WR John Ross a reasonable possibility for the Rams or is he really way out of reach? Seems like his SPEED and Stafford’s ARM could be a good combination IF the price is right!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ross is a huge bust who should've never been picked where he was picked (9th overall). The only thing he had in his favor was a 4.22; he still has no idea how to run routes, still gets knocked over by a stiff breeze.

Nah, if I have to pick a Bengals receiver, it'll be Green, not Ross.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would take his speed, FTRP. We have enough at WR to make room for a 1 trick pony with the ability to outrun the deep ball.
He's no Tyreek Hill... but speed kills.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd draft wideout. WR market is pricey and we have enough money wrapped up in Kupp and Woody.

I would really like to see something like Amari Rodgers. Stick him in the slot have Kupp and Woody out wide, Jeff first guy off the bench.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd draft wideout. WR market is pricey and we have enough money wrapped up in Kupp and Woody.

I would really like to see something like Amari Rodgers. Stick him in the slot have Kupp and Woody out wide, Jeff first guy off the bench.

Jaelon Darden is my first choice. He's a lot like what Tavon Austin could've been, except he knows how to run routes and has a surprising catch radius.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can’t teach speed. Although after 4 years he hasn’t learned to run routes or improve his hands. This is alarming to me. Isn’t that what pro athletes are supposed to do???

Memphis Ram

Legend

I'd like to see the Rams pick up Ross, trade Kupp (too expensive for slot WR, IMO), AND draft another wideout.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Like the John Ross suggestion because it addresses a need for speed and is realistic.

Even with a ton of restructuring, the Rams will probably lack capital (salary cap space and draft choices) to make more than a couple of significant additions.

Should the Rams decide to release or trade players for greater cap space, that would also create additional needs.

So players like A.J. Green or Will Fuller do not seem realistic to me.

Ross has certainly been a bust but he will be a free agent, and will not cost much or require much in guarantees. Furthermore, if he really wants to salvage his career, the Rams, with McVay and Stafford, could be attractive.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No offense, but I just gagged a little

Oh I know it sounds batty. My preference would be to bring in Marvin Hall Jr. But, overall while I understand that Kupp is a great slot WR, I'd rather the money being spent on him be used on a veteran Olineman. IMO, the best center in free agency, Corey Lindsey, can probably be had for less than what they are paying Kupp. A stud slot WR is far easier to find than a stud center, IMO. Especially, with these deep WR draft classes lately.

I understand that contract restructuring can change these numbers, but this team has the 5th highest cap number going to WR in the NFL. The Oline? 23rd.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Oh I know it sounds batty. My preference would be to bring in Marvin Hall Jr. But, overall while I understand that Kupp is a great slot WR, I'd rather the money being spent on him be used on a veteran Olineman. IMO, the best center in free agency, Corey Lindsey, can probably be had for less than what they are paying Kupp. A stud slot WR is far easier to find than a stud center, IMO. Especially, with these deep WR draft classes lately.

I understand that contract restructuring can change these numbers, but this team has the 5th highest cap number going to WR in the NFL. The Oline? 23rd.
Kupp is definitely not just a slot receiver though

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Too many important needs to pursue a top flight WR in free agency with our current 2021 CAP situation, and trading either Kupp or Woods now triggers another huge dead money hit, better to trade one of them following the upcoming season when the hit is far less if that's what the team feels they require. Lets see what Stafford can do with Van Jeff, Woods, Kupp & Webster first, and there should be plenty of WR talent available in the middle rounds of the draft, it's a very deep year for receivers. jmo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Is McVay likely to give a rookie WR a prominent role in what he feels is a Super Bowl ready team?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Kupp is definitely not just a slot receiver though

I recall McVay calling him a slot WR.
That's where he typically lines up. I recall about 92% of the time in 2019. Haven't seen this year's numbers yet.
And I've noticed that he comes off the field quite a bit when they've gone to two TE sets since he's been a Ram.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Is McVay likely to give a rookie WR a prominent role in what he feels is a Super Bowl ready team?

Being a Super Bowl ready team shouldn't require a rookie WR to play a 'prominent' role. Still, Josh Reynolds was drafted in the 4'th round and was targeted 24 times in his rookie season, so I imagine McVay would ease another mid-round pick into the NFL as well. Reynolds catch ratio in 2017 was only 45.8%, if McVay's 2021 draft pick were to perform better, he'd likely be targeted more. Cooper Kupp was drafted in the 3'rd round of the same draft in 2017 and had 94 targets with a 66% catch ratio. jmo.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Being a Super Bowl ready team shouldn't require a rookie WR to play a 'prominent' role. Still, Josh Reynolds was drafted in the 4'th round and was targeted 24 times in his rookie season, so I imagine McVay would ease another mid-round pick into the NFL as well. Reynolds catch ratio in 2017 was only 45.8%, if McVay's 2021 draft pick were to perform better, he'd likely be targeted more. Cooper Kupp was drafted in the 3'rd round of the same draft in 2017 and had 94 targets with a 66% catch ratio. jmo.

I would think the preference would be for a veteran. But if it could happen remains to be seen

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they upgrade with a slot I think that is possible. Has to be a guy who is a real threat though.