With DX in the starting lineup the passing game will improve

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: With DX in the starting lineup the passing game will imp

RealRamsFan said:
Look it's simple.

You keep as many playmakers as possible. His number of surgeries is irrelevant. If he's healthy, like everyone else, he plays. Keeping offensive players who are not playmakers creates a weakened offense (Curry, Gibson, Porter) . You never cut proven/potential playmakers when your team has so few. That's part of the reason we are struggling on offense.

Of course you don't put all the chips on his knees ....but you do gamble with talent.

I guess I would have to differ with you on this. If given the choice between a role player who contributes regularly - ala Amendola versus a player who might catch a couple of balls on the rare occasion that he can play due to bad knees that keep him out for most of the season, I'm keeping the role player. You do need some playmakers but you certainly can't build your team around players you already know are likely to be out more than they are able to suit up. That roster spot is huge when it comes to depth. And you have a major hard on for Spags yet he did exactly what you suggest. You honestly think there is any other reason he held on to DX except for the fact that he is a POTENTIAL playmaker.

Shit - Gilyard is as dumb as rocks and you advocate that Spags was stupid for letting him go. What on earth did he ever show or has he shown in the NFL that would put him ahead of ANY player we DID keep? Because he slept in his car? Because he was a standout at Cincinnati? The Pro Bowl and the HOF are just chalk full of Cincinnati stand-outs. He never could get the playbook of even Shurmur's vanilla offense. From what I saw, Spags gave him every opportunity in the world yet he only showed a flash here and there. Hell - you chastise him for Gibson yet think he should have kept Gilyard? Why? Because he was POSSIBLY potentially going to develop into a playmaker? And I bet his IQ was going to jump fifty points too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

ideally dax should not be an every down wr. he should be in there for the big plays. even if he's in there for 12 plays and you hit him on 2 or 3 of them, that should be it.

you don't cut your only big play wr.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

kurtfaulk said:

ideally dax should not be an every down wr. he should be in there for the big plays. even if he's in there for 12 plays and you hit him on 2 or 3 of them, that should be it.

I would probably put him in for about 20 plays per game, about a third being run plays, because if you only pass when he's in there, then teams will know what's up pretty quickly. But otherwise, I agree

There were times when Spags took flak throughout the season, sometimes I don't think it was warranted. One time I thought it was warranted was when I saw him playing special teams. With a weapon like that who's prone to injury he should have his touches limited to where he can make the biggest impact and special teams are not it.

Anonymous

RealRamsFan said:
brokeu91 said:
kurtfaulk said:

I would probably put him in for about 20 plays per game, about a third being run plays, because if you only pass when he's in there, then teams will know what's up pretty quickly. But otherwise, I agree

There were times when Spags took flak throughout the season, sometimes I don't think it was warranted. One time I thought it was warranted was when I saw him playing special teams. With a weapon like that who's prone to injury he should have his touches limited to where he can make the biggest impact and special teams are not it.

You two guys get it!

Its 65 NFL snaps on avg a game .....put DX in half of them, like most traditional #4 WRs.

Look at the ONLY TIMES Sam has had 300 yards or more .....then take a peek at the WRs!

Crazy people continue to advocate his dismissal ....I mean for crying out loud .....

one of our starting WRs has five more games than DX but less than 80 more yards ! Jesus People don't get it.....amazing

The same argument could be made for Clayton too. However "playmakers" that can't play help get you what we've got.....a shitty offense.

Anonymous

RealRamsFan said:
squeaky wheel said:
RealRamsFan said:
brokeu91 said:
kurtfaulk said:

You two guys get it!

Its 65 NFL snaps on avg a game .....put DX in half of them, like most traditional #4 WRs.

Look at the ONLY TIMES Sam has had 300 yards or more .....then take a peek at the WRs!

Crazy people continue to advocate his dismissal ....I mean for crying out loud .....

one of our starting WRs has five more games than DX but less than 80 more yards ! Jesus People don't get it.....amazing

The same argument could be made for Clayton too. However "playmakers" that can't play help get you what we've got.....a shitty offense.

Agreed!

But not the case here.
As I said .....One of our starters has five more games played than DX ......yet DX only trails him by 80 yards and they share the same number of TDs!

DX is helping the offense. He just missed 5 games due to a hamstring.

If it was his arm or shoulder sure....but it's not.....it's his wheels and he's a stretch the field WR. We don't have the luxury of depth of talent to hang on to DX for years more. We need to field talent in which we have confidence now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RealRamsFan said:
Point 1: WR (a) 16 games 700 yards
WR (b) 11 games 600 yards

It's foolish to cut WR (b) which is contributions per game is higher than the current starting WR.

No one is saying keep a player who plays in 5 games a year (even though that happens all the time) . DX will end up with 9-10 games played this year ....and that's due to an hamstring ....not a knee.

Point 2: My issue with cutting Gilyard was the Fact we drafted him a year ago and didn't give him more time to develop. Then when our ONLY PUNT AND KICK RETURNER got injured we had to sign a less talented player (Porter) to take his place.
It's just not going to happen. Keeping receivers around (and counting on them) when they can't stay healthy, be it a knee, the other knee, a hamstring, whatever, is counter-productive. And no, it doesn't happen all the time. There aren't many receivers in the league that play a third of the season (by design). And that's what it would be. Purposely keeping a roster spot open for a guy who may only play a third of the season. It just doesn't make sense. I wish it was different, but it isn't. He's a tall, fast guy with two bad knees.

And Gilyard had a year to learn how to line up right. See that? A year to LINE UP right. Bye. Then he went to the Jets - a team that has the depth to develop players, and they said, "yeah, no thanks." He's not missed in any capacity here, or there. Quinn Porter has 22 yards per return with a long of 32. Gilyard had 22 yards per return with a long of 34. Porter has over 100 more all purpose yards than Gilyard, and in two less games. So porter is less talented in what way? At least Porter can tackle without breaking his wrist. If anything, I'd say it's a wash. And that's being generous.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Gibson and Alexander have the same production if you're going to measure it in points. They both have 1 TD. Gibson and Alexander aren't the same type of receiver, so you can't keep constantly comparing them. They both catch balls, they both drop balls, and that's where the comparison ends. Alexander is supposed to be a deep threat, and Gibson is supposed to be a possession receiver (evidenced by their YPC). Neither are a long-term solution. Go get Blackmon or Jeffery, re-sign Lloyd and get another guy in FA whose knees haven't been sliced open a half dozen times.

Blackmon/Jeffery
Lloyd
Salas
Pettis
FA
Amendola.

I can live with that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RealRamsFan said:
X said:
Gibson and Alexander have the same production if you're going to measure it in points. They both have 1 TD. Gibson and Alexander aren't the same type of receiver, so you can't keep constantly comparing them. They both catch balls, they both drop balls, and that's where the comparison ends. Alexander is supposed to be a deep threat, and Gibson is supposed to be a possession receiver (evidenced by their YPC). Neither are a long-term solution. Go get Blackmon or Jeffery, re-sign Lloyd and get another guy in FA whose knees haven't been sliced open a half dozen times.

Blackmon/Jeffery
Lloyd
Salas
Pettis
FA
Amendola.

I can live with that.

I would love that picture.
Depending on the FA, I wouldn't stray away from DX. Not if he is cleared to play football. We'll see Sunday ....he Will have a big game and foolishly people will discount it over what may or may not happen
I guarantee you that nobody will 'discount it' if he has a big game. Everyone wants that. It's only his longevity that's in question.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

All season, we have been concerned about young players being cut for veterans. What about those first cuts at WR (Avery) that kept DX on the roster? If not for Avery's virtual invisibility now, some people would certainly be wondering why we didn't keep the fastest WR we had over an injury liability.

And that's what DX will always be in the NFL. Here or somewhere else. It's tragic considering the player he is, and could have been. If he plays Sunday, that probably will provide a boost to our offense. But next year? I'd rather be waiting for the hamstring recovery of a playmaker who can be considered a long-term solution.

DX's best chance at an NFL career is some science fiction, joint replacement procedure.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

X said:

Blackmon/Jeffery
Lloyd
Salas
Pettis
FA
Amendola.

I can live with that.

That would be a improvement for sure. It's time to move on from the Gibson, DX era.No continuity of production or real promise of future improvement.

Not sold on the as of yet the Blackmon/Jeffery gambit. In last years draft they would have been late 1st rounders, Jeffery maybe even would have slid to the 2nd. All they need is a good combine or pro day and a upper 4.3 or low 4.4 then yeah that would work. What the team needs is speed, down the field speed. Think Torrey Smith.
Salas, Pettis, Amendola even Nick Miller.....Pick 2 and that's it. there all the same. None of them will ever have great success playing outside but in the slot their deadly.

Why haven"t we resigned Lloyd? No brainer that should have been done already. This really puzzles me. After what he has shown already, there has to be a reason we don't know of.

No cap space for a FA unless it's a Sims Walker type.

But yeah I agree with you, if that's what we have next year I'll take it and be happy. This whole season would be so much better if we were avg. 3 TD's a game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RealRamsFan said:
Im far from a Mardy supporter....lets make that clear. Now, Gilyard has more talent than Porter. Porter is a #4 RB at best...how important or those? Gilyard was drafted due to his playmaking skills. He couldn't lineup correctly but could play special teams. Not good to cut a skill position player you drafted a year ago ...not when your team lack in that area...
That's my only gripe!

As far as being cut by the Jets ....they had an unforeseen injury and cut the new guy ....nothing more
I'm done talking about Alexander. His days are numbered. The only reason he elected to forgo the knee scope this year was because he would miss significant time. That's going to be an ongoing theme with him forever. If you think the Rams should keep carrying him along, then anything you say about their roster management is moot. It's the epitome of carelessness.

And yeah, you are a Mardy supporter. You were singing his praises from the second he was drafted. And yet he never did anything. Despite that, you kept saying he should be playing because he's a "playmaker." Well, he's not. Let's make THAT clear. Everyone knows why he was drafted. It didn't work out the way it was intended. Shocker. Happens all the time in the NFL. Cutting him was a sound decision. Keeping him because he has "playmaking skills" that he never once displayed, is unsound. Doesn't matter when he was drafted. Comparing Gilyard to Porter is like comparing ground beef to ground chuck. And if Gilyard had "more talent", he wouldn't be a free agent. It's kinda funny that you know more than NFL coaches do in that regard. Especially since he hasn't shown the ability to even line up correctly. For Shurmur, no less. Do you think he can handle the complexity of McDaniels' playbook? That was probably like hieroglyphics to him.

As for this little gem:
As far as being cut by the Jets ....they had an unforeseen injury and cut the new guy ....nothing more

I wonder if you'll see the irony in that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Yamahopper said:
Why haven"t we resigned Lloyd? No brainer that should have been done already. This really puzzles me. After what he has shown already, there has to be a reason we don't know of.
I think Lloyd is waiting to see where McDaniels ends up. That, and he's a free agent after this season, so I assume he wants to parlay anything he does here for a better deal. Or at least leverage a different deal against the Rams to create a bidding war. I mean, yeah, they could probably make an offer to Lloyd, but what's his incentive to take it if he's a free agent in 8 weeks?

I think we get a 3rd round compensatory pick if he signs somewhere else too, but that's contingent upon the Rams signing (or not signing) free agents of their own, so there's a few angles at work here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RealRamsFan said:
His days are numbered?

Wow ....I'm sure crow will be served next year.
I'm done talking about Mardy ....you do not cut a young player you drafted a year ago because of mental lapse ...you coach them up.

DX has been doubted by your type since college and he overcame everytime.

Its strange how you talk down about a guy who performs and support players and coaches who don't .....wow!

Just remember this post

Let me guess you know more about roster management than Coach Venturi and Hanifan .....you keep and Coach up play makers.

Don't cut them due to a probable injury that may or may jot happen ....why you think BillyD signed the guy to a two year contract?

You're lost When discussing roster management and coaching
LOL. UMad?

Yeah, his days are numbered. Unless you're now making him immortal. And spare me your ridiculous mind-reading act. "My type?" Please. My type knows what a surgery is. My type knows how low the odds are that a guy with 6 of them (surgeries) is going to be around very long. And again, I don't "remember posts" for the purpose of serving up crow. That's retarded. If I'm wrong, great. If I'm right, whatever. And I'm not "talking down" to Alexander, by the way. I'm not even sure what that means. I already said it's a sad story, and that he has the tools to be great, but he's got health issues. Real injuries. Not make believe. Real. I wish he didn't, but he does. You can ask him if you don't believe me.

And yeah, you keep and coach up playmakers. Absolutely you do. Mardy Gilyard is not a playmaker. Oh, wait. You're talking about when he was in Cincinnati. Now I get it. Yeah, all the guys who were great in college make it in the NFL. That's why nobody ever gets cut. Ever. All the college playmakers are getting coached up in the NFL as we speak. I think they're going to expand the rosters to 148 now just to make room for all of them, because they're all playmakers (which is why they were drafted). You should probably let go of the dream. Not everyone can be "coached up." Because, again, if that was the case for everyone, then nobody would fail. Ever.

If only Martz would have coached up Trung Candidate, Marques Hagans and Eric Crouch. Oh what could have been. :love:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:
His days are numbered?

I'm done talking about Mardy ....you do not cut a young player you drafted a year ago because of mental lapse ...you coach them up.

Its strange how you talk down about a guy who performs and support players and coaches who don't .....wow!

Just remember this post

Let me guess you know more about roster management than Coach Venturi and Hanifan .....you keep and Coach up play makers.

Don't cut them due to a probable injury that may or may jot happen ....why you think BillyD signed the guy to a two year contract?

LOL. UMad?

Yeah, his days are numbered. Unless you're now making him immortal. And spare me your ridiculous mind-reading act. "My type?" Please. My type knows what a surgery is. My type knows how low the odds are that a guy with 6 of them (surgeries) is going to be around very long. And again, I don't "remember posts" for the purpose of serving up crow. That's retarded. If I'm wrong, great. If I'm right, whatever. And I'm not "talking down" to Alexander, by the way. I'm not even sure what that means. I already said it's a sad story, and that he has the tools to be great, but he's got health issues. Real injuries. Not make believe. Real. I wish he didn't, but he does. You can ask him if you don't believe me.

And yeah, you keep and coach up playmakers. Absolutely you do. Mardy Gilyard is not a playmaker. Oh, wait. You're talking about when he was in Cincinnati. Now I get it. Yeah, all the guys who were great in college make it in the NFL. That's why nobody ever gets cut. Ever. All the college playmakers are getting coached up in the NFL as we speak. I think they're going to expand the rosters to 148 now just to make room for all of them, because they're all playmakers (which is why they were drafted). You should probably let go of the dream. Not everyone can be "coached up." Because, again, if that was the case for everyone, then nobody would fail. Ever.

If only Martz would have coached up Trung Candidate, Marques Hagans and Eric Crouch. Oh what could have been. :love:

Mad?

Lol!

Wow
Solid retort. :rofl:

Say, have you seen Airese Currie, Mark Bradley, Troy Williamson, Chase Lyman, Craphonso Thorpe, Matt Jones, William Franklin, Dexter Jackson, Keenan Burton, Paul Hubbard, or about a thousand other receivers that were unfairly cut because they weren't coached up? They should file a class-action lawsuit for negligence on the part of their respective NFL teams.

... if only.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:
His days are numbered?

Just remember this post

LOL. UMad?

Mad?

Lol!

Wow

Say, have you seen Airese Currie, Mark Bradley, Troy Williamson, Chase Lyman, Craphonso Thorpe, Matt Jones, William Franklin, Dexter Jackson, Keenan Burton, Paul Hubbard, or about a thousand other receivers that were unfairly cut because they weren't coached up? They should file a class-action lawsuit for negligence on the part of their respective NFL teams.

... if only.

If you really wanna have this debate take a look at the Wrs on those teams and compare to ours on opening day. The Rams didnt have the luxury to cut WRs we recently drafted ....but as a Spags supporter you wouldn't understand draft picks and development
Understanding draft picks and development means playing guys who can't play? Oh. Well.... shit. I guess I don't understand it then.

Anonymous

:popcorn:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:
His days are numbered?

Just remember this post

LOL. UMad?

Mad?

Lol!

Wow

... if only.

If you really wanna have this debate take a look at the Wrs on those teams and compare to ours on opening day. The Rams didnt have the luxury to cut WRs we recently drafted ....but as a Spags supporter you wouldn't understand draft picks and development
Understanding draft picks and development means playing guys who can't play? Oh. Well.... shit. I guess I don't understand it then.

Yea ...YOU don't understand.
Yea ...I said that already.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Okay guys, let's be civil or take it to PM's. This is getting a little out of hand now and before we get into personal attacks let's end it now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

bluecoconuts said:
Okay guys, let's be civil or take it to PM's. This is getting a little out of hand now and before we get into personal attacks let's end it now.
Yessir.

joeybittick

Rookie

X said:
bluecoconuts said:
Yessir.

I am going to reread through this thread and point out if there is anything that is too inappropriate. That may seem like I am being too nosey or something, but recently there has been a rash of threads being locked due to discussion getting too heated and there seems to be a few main culprits. That needs to stop.

If we cannot have civil discussions on this site anymore, than we have a big problem that WILL be remedied. This site is meant for everyone to enjoy, and it seems like only a few are enjoying it. This site was created for... well, hardcore homers, or militant apologists. If that bothers you, then you need to leave.

P.S. This is not meant for anyone in particular (yet), I have only skimmed the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.