Why not Brian Allen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
25yo, 6’2” 315

9 starts in 2019, injured in game 9?

2018 36 snaps on offense, played mostly on ST.

2 false starts, 1 hold, 1 other

Trying to figure out why people seem to be so down on Allen. He played 36 snaps at C as a rookie with no starts. Wins the starter role in 2019 played 8+ games before the knee injury. I don’t recall him being terrible and it was a small sample size at best.

Convince me he can’t come back 2 years later and be a factor in the battle to be our starter.
I'm right there with you actually. I doubt he's the guy but i'd like to see him get a shot (again) in camp.

2019 was kinda fucked all around. I know he's a punching bag in here but it's possible that he's developed since then. New coaches too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brian Allen is Shit, in fact, he's worse then shit, he is where flies go, when they've been on shit all day!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If you search the site you'll be able to find them pretty easy.
Geezus man, can't you dig em up for us? You got something else you gotta do right now?
iu

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok I just watched the first 3 games of 2019 highlights on YouTube. I admit it was only highlights but I did not see Allen being driven into Goff’s lap. I saw him in the second level on a few of the big runs and him holding his own against Carolina, NO, and Cleveland.

From that, he had a decent start.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Snead kind of talked down on the idea of drafting a rookie starter at center.
Which makes me think, that's exactly what were doing. lol
Also add in the fact that according to Detroit's center, Ragnow.
Stafford did a pretty good job of helping him with the line calls and tutoring him along.
My question to you is,
How many centers in this draft do you think are capable of coming in day one and starting?
If Any?
For I think there are three maybe four.
Creed Humphrey
Landon Dickerson
Quinn Meinerz (who we’ve met with twice)
Josh Meyers

There are a few others that are intriguing but I think those could come in start day 1 and with coaching and Staffords help take over the position and be upgrades.

Meet from Penn St grades high I just don’t know anything about him. Drew Dalman was Coach Carberry‘s guy at Stanford but I know nothing other than that. And Trey Hill from Georgia is an interesting blend of power with some finesse. I see some say he could fit in a zone scheme but would need work there though he’s very strong at the point of attack. Just needs work.

This all begs the question in what type of scheme are McVay and Carberry going to run? I’m pretty sure Stanford ran a system similar to Kromer but maybe mixed in a bit more power plays? Not certain again but he’s had some well coached lines and could have a couple more of his guys drafted this year.

tldr My favorites are Meinerz and Humphrey but others are interesting or good from what I’ve seen.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
@OldSchool , I’d add Drake Jackson out of Kentucky to your list. He’s a center-only prospect, but he’s smart and stout.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@OldSchool , I’d add Drake Jackson out of Kentucky to your list. He’s a center-only prospect, but he’s smart and stout.
He’s another interesting name for that second group but personally left him off because the top “negative” comment on him is undersized. That may make him a possibility but I passed him over to keep the second group smaller. Think their pro day he only weighed in at 285 and I’m inte in a bit more beef than that at center though Carberrys guy Dalman was only 295.

Memento

Name
Jemma
He’s another interesting name for that second group but personally left him off because the top “negative” comment on him is undersized. That may make him a possibility but I passed him over to keep the second group smaller. Think their pro day he only weighed in at 285 and I’m inte in a bit more beef than that at center though Carberrys guy Dalman was only 295.

True, but he uses his lack of size to his advantage, much like AD, and you’re not going to outleverage him. I also feel that he’s smart enough to start from day one.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
This all begs the question in what type of scheme are McVay and Carberry going to run?
It truly does. Don't get me wrong, I haven't watched any of Carberrys teams, but everything that
I've read has been that he is a guy who runs more power oriented schemes.
I'm guessing this may have been part of the reason for the seemingly abrupt change at oline coach.
Thanks for your response bro.
Are you leaning any particular way on the rookie vs Vet FA?
We may have to go draft in order to get affordable quality for the center position. JMO

Memento

Name
Jemma
True, but he uses his lack of size to his advantage, much like AD, and you’re not going to outleverage him. I also feel that he’s smart enough to start from day one.

As a note, the only player who gave Jackson fits was Quinnen Williams. He stonewalled everyone else - including big defensive linemen like Slaton out of Florida. Kentucky legit had an underrated offensive line two years ago, with Jackson and Stenberg.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
As long as his arms are long enough.
AD's arm length coming out of college were a inch and a half longer than Drakes.
I get what your saying though, I'm not crazy about overly tall centers, because they really have
to play with excellent knee bend.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It truly does. Don't get me wrong, I haven't watched any of Carberrys teams, but everything that
I've read has been that he is a guy who runs more power oriented schemes.
I'm guessing this may have been part of the reason for the seemingly abrupt change at oline coach.
Thanks for your response bro.
Are you leaning any particular way on the rookie vs Vet FA?
We may have to go draft in order to get affordable quality for the center position. JMO
Meinerz is the guy a lot of us want but all four in that first list to me would be good picks, Meyers probably last on the list with Dickerson and Humphrey a 2a and 2b.

With the free agent market as it is aid rather go with a rookie and Allen/Shelton backing him up.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Meinerz is the guy a lot of us want but all four in that first list to me would be good picks, Meyers probably last on the list with Dickerson and Humphrey a 2a and 2b.

With the free agent market as it is aid rather go with a rookie and Allen/Shelton backing him up.

Myers is actually at the top of my list. I see no flaws in his game, and he’s probably going to be the first center off the board.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Week 4 2019 was a freaking disaster that made Winston look good on top of 3 ints and a fumble returned for a TD for Goff. Most of the pressure came from the outside. Barrett had a day.

The Rams still put up 40 and lost.

Again just highlights but I don’t see Allen being a huge problem.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Brian Allen is Shit, in fact, he's worse then shit, he is where flies go, when they've been on shit all day!
I agree.

Short, slow, undersized guy with T-Rex arms (but with a huge ass) who gets ragdolled all day.

Better than Demby-- barely.

If the Rams have to count on Allen at C, we're screwed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He sucked in 2019. Blythe vastly outplayed him, and Blythe isn't an elite Center. Maybe he's progressed, but I'm not counting on it.