Why isn’t Speights playing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm so fucking done with Reeder. I've been fucking done with Reeder. Please, if you're so damned concerned about the green dot, Shula, put it on a safety (hell, put Curl at the linebacker spot, Lake as your STAR, and McCullough and JJ3 - if/when he comes back - as your starters at safety), and fucking put Speights in for the Vikings game and beyond. It's frustrating watching him get dragged for first downs, take awful angles, and blow coverage after coverage.

Speights would solve so many issues, it's not even funny. I just hope I never see Reeder again. He can't play defense, he can't play teams, he certainly can't play offense, so what the fuck is he even here for?!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm so fucking done with Reeder. I've been fucking done with Reeder.

In the post-game locker-room celebration highlights, I noticed both Reeder and Rozeboom.

They looked SO Happy ... smiling, laughing, celebrating.

I thought to myself ... it's probably 34% satisfaction over a hard-fought victory, as they seem like good guys. However, the other 66% of the joy was probably because they realize ... Holy Shit! . We are staring LBs in the NFL ... How crazy is that! ... These coaches actually think we're Good!!!

El Chapo Jr

Legend
In the post-game locker-room celebration highlights, I noticed both Reeder and Rozeboom.

They looked SO Happy ... smiling, laughing, celebrating.

I thought to myself ... it's probably 34% satisfaction over a hard-fought victory, as they seem like good guys. However, the other 66% of the joy was probably because they realize ... Holy Shit! . We are staring LBs in the NFL ... How crazy is that! ... These coaches actually think we're Good!!!
They have got to have some pics of the coaches they are using for blackmail. I just have no other explanation.

I Know What You Did Reaction GIF by Hollyoaks

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Imagine if a journo asked Mcvay if trading away Jones was still the best for this team.

His head might explode.

Has anybody asked jourdan why Speights isn't playing since she (the team) said the reason they were comfortable trading Jones away was the play of Speights?

I can't recall whether Jourdan said Speights was why they moved Jones. But I would love to hear McVay answer this question: "Hey Coach can you shed some light on what Speights and Hummel need to work on in order to earn some playing time?"

Because I cannot imagine either of these guys being worse than what we've been subjected to. And even if they are, I cannot imagine either of them not improving quickly to where they are better than either of our starters.

What's really gonna chap my hide is when they plug Speights in there and he goes the fuck off.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Watch pass coverage again. I know I saw several plays where Rozeboom was literally 2 yards away from Reeder. Both standing like statues looking straight ahead at the QB. I’ve noticed that about Rozeboom a lot. He ends up being no more than a shadow for Reeder.

Ya i don't know much about football, only played it with neighborhood kids, but even I can see how bad their coverage is. And how bad they are in general. Bowers was open all day long, once crossing over the middle while CR & TR WATCHED him go by & only then committed to covering him, but by that time BB was 5 yards away.
If I can see how bad they are... imagine a stadium full of fans, who KNOW how bad they are. They're not going to stick around for too much longer.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
I'm beginning to believe that maybe Speights isn't absorbing the playbook as quickly as the Rams would like. I can't see another reason on why the Rams would stick with Reeder being that he's ranked at the bottom of the NFL and the Rams have made other roster moves at other positions. Obviously this is purely speculation because we're not behind closed doors and we can only go off what we see on gameday.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
I still think if Speights is paired with Reeder, the results would be so much better than current. Reeder has too much responsibility. I'd like to see both ILBs being able to play consistently downhill.

DzRams

Starter
Name
Desmal M
Watch pass coverage again. I know I saw several plays where Rozeboom was literally 2 yards away from Reeder. Both standing like statues looking straight ahead at the QB. I’ve noticed that about Rozeboom a lot. He ends up being no more than a shadow for Reeder.
What I can't figure out is why Reeder is the primary punching bag when Rozeboom is much worse.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm beginning to believe that maybe Speights isn't absorbing the playbook as quickly as the Rams would like. I can't see another reason on why the Rams would stick with Reeder being that he's ranked at the bottom of the NFL and the Rams have made other roster moves at other positions. Obviously this is purely speculation because we're not behind closed doors and we can only go off what we see on gameday.
Quite possible. There has to be some rationale in Shula's mind. But then you change the structure to simplify things for him and tell him "go get ball." This means the green dot goes to a safety. Or to your star so Wallace or whoever they have in that role in that game they make that change.

I think the problem here is that Shula is not recognizing that he could potentially get upwards of a few more stops per game by inserting that younger option. And the falloff should be negligible because you're talking about replacing backup level players.

Could be too that the secondary was so fucking terrible early on that he didn't want to screw with too many things at once. So keep that front stable and get the secondary sorted. But it looks like they're turning the corner now and playing reasonable ball since Williams has returned. So this would be a great time to tell Reeder and Rozeboom they're gonna see some of their snaps go to Speights and Hummel and the snaps going forward will go each week to whoever plays best.

Last edited:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
What I can't figure out is why Reeder is the primary punching bag when Rozeboom is much worse.
I'm thinking they couldn't do worse than swap Speights for Rosebloom. If they wanna keep Reeder in there, fine, but we gotta have someone else who's more athletic. It's downright embarassing.

Memento

Name
Jemma
They're both bad, but Reeder's been bad for a longer period of time than Rozeboom, and we keep bringing him back for fate knows what reason. And when we finally have a gem of a player, we keep playing him and Rozeboom.

Personally, I'd love to snag Michael Barrett off of the streets to replace Rozeboom. He's currently a free agent, so it costs us nothing. So, why not?

DzRams

Starter
Name
Desmal M
They're both bad, but Reeder's been bad for a longer period of time than Rozeboom, and we keep bringing him back for fate knows what reason. And when we finally have a gem of a player, we keep playing him and Rozeboom.

Personally, I'd love to snag Michael Barrett off of the streets to replace Rozeboom. He's currently a free agent, so it costs us nothing. So, why not?
I'm sorry to burst your bubble but if the bolded above were true, that gem would be playing. Here's to hoping he's better but I doubt he's a gem.

I like the Michael Barrett thought as I wanted him in this last draft.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm sorry to burst your bubble but if the bolded above were true, that gem would be playing. Here's to hoping he's better but I doubt he's a gem.

I like the Michael Barrett thought as I wanted him in this last draft.

We played Bobby Evans and Terrell Lewis and Terrell Burgess, knowing they were bad on the field, even when there were options. All third rounders. We cut John Franklin-Myers for whatever reason.

Don't tell me the front office and coaching staff are infallible; they aren't. Nobody is.

DzRams

Starter
Name
Desmal M
We played Bobby Evans and Terrell Lewis and Terrell Burgess, knowing they were bad on the field, even when there were options. All third rounders. We cut John Franklin-Myers for whatever reason.

Don't tell me the front office and coaching staff are infallible; they aren't. Nobody is.
We've indeed played bad players, but none of the options who eventually replaced them were "gems". The replacements were merely marginal upgrades, if that. JFM got cut because he didn't fit the "we, not me" culture. There was some issue with him other than his talent.

Not saying they're infallible. It's highly unlikely though that they're refusing to play a special player. Sitting on a special player has not happened under the McVay regime.

Memento

Name
Jemma
We've indeed played bad players, but none of the options who eventually replaced them were "gems". The replacements were merely marginal upgrades, if that. JFM got cut because he didn't fit the "we, not me" culture. There was some issue with him other than his talent.

Not saying they're infallible. It's highly unlikely though that they're refusing to play a special player. Sitting on a special player has not happened under the McVay regime.

Yes, they were, though. Jordan Fuller and Nick Scott turned out to be huge parts of our defense over Burgess. Austin Corbett was a huge upgrade over Evans, and I'd consider him to be a "gem". The only exception was Terrell Lewis, and even then, we went out and got Justin Hollins, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, and eventually Von Miller.

Don't tell me Reeder and Rozeboom should be options. Please don't.

DzRams

Starter
Name
Desmal M
Yes, they were, though. Jordan Fuller and Nick Scott turned out to be huge parts of our defense over Burgess. Austin Corbett was a huge upgrade over Evans, and I'd consider him to be a "gem". The only exception was Terrell Lewis, and even then, we went out and got Justin Hollins, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, and eventually Von Miller.

Don't tell me Reeder and Rozeboom should be options. Please don't.
Fair enough. It turns out we have different definitions of gems.