Which of these prospects would you want the Rams to draft if available?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is big enough to play all three downs? I mean as a Lber on early downs and move to Nickelback.
He showed well during Senior Bowl week in both CB and Safety roles. But I think he could fill some LB roles right out the gate for us and grow into early down box reps.

I'd also think 4-3 teams needing WILL help will look hard at him.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would take the player ranked highest on my board, most likely one of the CB. Can't pass up the value.
A good C or OG will be there in the 3rd round.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW, I have watched every game J.K. Dobbins has played and he put up some gaudy numbers, but for some odd reason, I never thought that highly of him and I don't know why. Other Buckeye backers loved him and he's a great kid and would be excellent in the locker room, but if I was pressed, I would pass and go with the English Nobleman Lloyd Cushenberry III of LSU.

As our Draft Counselor @jrry32 so astutely points out, he does not believe Zach Baun will be there at 52 and even our own internal scientist @DR RAM concurs, so if a Lawyer & Doctor agree, if am I to think otherwise....I liked Cushenberry for a couple of years now and felt he made a difference up front as he and that Heisman Trophy Winner and former Buckeye had an excellent rapport and no exchange issues in two years.

Cushenberry's extremely difficult to bull-rush and is rarely beaten to the punch in his pass sets. LSU was frequently tasked with five-man protections in its passing scheme, which put Cushenberry on more of an island than he might see as a pro. He has the strength to handle an odd-front nose and will be a long-time starter IMHO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
FWIW, I have watched every game J.K. Dobbins has played and he put up some gaudy numbers, but for some odd reason, I never thought that highly of him and I don't know why. Other Buckeye backers loved him and he's a great kid and would be excellent in the locker room, but if I was pressed, I would pass and go with the English Nobleman Lloyd Cushenberry III of LSU.

As our Draft Counselor @jrry32 so astutely points out, he does not believe Zach Baun will be there at 52 and even our own internal scientist @DR RAM concurs, so if a Lawyer & Doctor agree, if am I to think otherwise....I liked Cushenberry for a couple of years now and felt he made a difference up front as he and that Heisman Trophy Winner and former Buckeye had an excellent rapport and no exchange issues in two years.

Cushenberry's extremely difficult to bull-rush and is rarely beaten to the punch in his pass sets. LSU was frequently tasked with five-man protections in its passing scheme, which put Cushenberry on more of an island than he might see as a pro. He has the strength to handle an odd-front nose and will be a long-time starter IMHO.

Robbins ran behind a dominant Oline. He got a head of steam quickly. So with good blocking and his power her get the the second level quickly and often. He was tough for DBs to tackle. So yeah, he doesn't striking me as much of a juker. He's a down hill runner mostly. He seems like Pete Carroll's set dream to me.

I think McVay likes speed and elusiveness. Maybe Robbins wouldn't be his style of back.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would take the player ranked highest on my board, most likely one of the CB. Can't pass up the value.
A good C or OG will be there in the 3rd round.

Maybe. I do prefer drafting the highest ranked player on the board for my system, keeping in mind that there's a margin of error in evaluations so if in doubt go with positions of need within the group of players you have ranked highest

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's the backers I think are in the mix in that first half of round two range. I assume iLBs Queen & Murray are 100% off the board:

Baun (physical edge setter & flexibility, also gotta say the soph Wisconsin MIKE #57 is my kind of LB)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5byntcBGD0w

Okwara (excellent rush upside for where he'll probably go, solid edge setter)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ooLmegmpwE&t=1s

Uche (Criminally underrated in the media. Elite mix of range, instincts, tackling, and physicality. Brings flexibility like Baun)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVa76cAL6HI

The others like Harrison, Brooks, etc are round 3 or trade down options at best. Chinn is a special case, as it is very hard to look past his DB potential but if Rams take him he'd be an upside/growth pick who immediately serves in Littleton's role via sub.

Here's Chinn just for completeness (think he's in play if they look LB). Prob is his film is as a DB, but note his closing speed, tackling, and he can flash in coverage too which is why I think he's going to be a Littleton-type LB at the NFL level as he matures and puts muscle on that frame:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWEJXncInWE

Last edited:

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
My pick would be Cam Akers, a couple of guys on NFL Network earlier this week were saying he's more talented than Dalvin Cook.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Lots of great choices. hard to choose. But if Cushenberry is there we have to take him.
No RB is going anywhere until we fix the gaping hole at C. And it's not even close. Our run blocking has serious issues, and it was always up the middle where LB's were running in un-blocked to hit our RB's behind the LOS, over & over again.
I'm not a football guru, just a fan, so maybe it's our scheme that doesn't work? or we have the wrong RB for the scheme we're running? No idea, but when I put my eyeballs on our C's and OG's, they're always missing their blocking assignments, making half-hearted attempts, or otherwise their assignment is always the guy making the TFL.

Any stats guys have any idea how many TFL's "against" that our OL gave up? I know I recently saw a stat on yards before contact, and we were near the bottom of the NFL. It may be because other teams with high yards before contact had running QB's but my eyes saw way too much for my liking.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any stats guys have any idea how many TFL's "against" that our OL gave up? I know I recently saw a stat on yards before contact, and we were near the bottom of the NFL. It may be because other teams with high yards before contact had running QB's but my eyes saw way too much for my liking.

they were stone motherless last up the middle. by a far margin.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This kind of thinking is what got the Oline where it is now. A good Oline needs 2-3 very good players. With Whitworth aging I don't think they even have one.
Well, that's just me then. I would have a hard time passing up the bpa with a first round grade in a position of greater value. Drafting a stud CB means you don't have to trade multiple first round picks and spend $18mil per season to sign him.
Drafting for need is a short-sighted fix, whereas BPA is more of a long term play. Unless the players are very closely rated, then need is a good way to go.
Difference of opinion I guess.
I think most successful teams draft BPA.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
Lots of great choices. hard to choose. But if Cushenberry is there we have to take him.
No RB is going anywhere until we fix the gaping hole at C. And it's not even close. Our run blocking has serious issues, and it was always up the middle where LB's were running in un-blocked to hit our RB's behind the LOS, over & over again.
I'm not a football guru, just a fan, so maybe it's our scheme that doesn't work? or we have the wrong RB for the scheme we're running? No idea, but when I put my eyeballs on our C's and OG's, they're always missing their blocking assignments, making half-hearted attempts, or otherwise their assignment is always the guy making the TFL.

True but if you wait until the later rounds to draft a running back odds are we aren't going to end up with anyone more talented than the guys we already have on the roster. After Taylor,Swift,Dobbins,Akers and Edwards-Helaire there's a drop off as far as game changers IMO

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Trade back to 60 and get a high 4th/low 3rd, then take Akers at 60

Then with the 4 remaining picks in rds 3 & 4...

C Hennessy
WR Pittman
Edge D.Taylor
DE Strowbridge

Or something like that.

So along with a talented feature type RB to pair with Henderson, this adds DL pass rush, edge depth since Ebukam and Floyd are on last yr, WR depth with Cooks & Reynolds likely on last yr, and a starting caliber C.