Which of these prospects would you want the Rams to draft if available?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade back to 60 and get a high 4th/low 3rd, then take Akers at 60

Then with the 4 remaining picks in rds 3 & 4...

C Hennessy
WR Pittman
Edge D.Taylor
DE Strowbridge

Or something like that.

So along with a talented feature type RB to pair with Henderson, this adds DL pass rush, edge depth since Ebukam and Floyd are on last yr, WR depth with Cooks & Reynolds likely on last yr, and a starting caliber C.
I can see them trading down a little and still getting a player on their list.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Trade down in the 2nd (unless Josh Jones falls)...draft Matt Peart, Zack Moss, and Akeem Davis-Gaither and i'll be happy as fuck...

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, that's just me then. I would have a hard time passing up the bpa with a first round grade in a position of greater value. Drafting a stud CB means you don't have to trade multiple first round picks and spend $18mil per season to sign him.
Drafting for need is a short-sighted fix, whereas BPA is more of a long term play. Unless the players are very closely rated, then need is a good way to go.
Difference of opinion I guess.
I think most successful teams draft BPA.

you seem to be contradicting yourself. I chose from the list. I chose HOW at a position of need imo. While you are pigeon holing a Center to round three or later regardless the quality of the player. Apparently you don't think Centers are that important.

And using the Ramsey real as an example doesn't really apply.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you seem to be contradicting yourself. I chose from the list. I chose HOW at a position of need imo. While you are pigeon holing a Center to round three or later regardless the quality of the player. Apparently you don't think Centers are that important.

I am simply saying that I would take the best available player. I am not going to reach for need when there are better
players available. It can be any position, not just a center. I don't see how that is a contradiction, it is what most teams do.

Ram65

Legend
Well, that's just me then. I would have a hard time passing up the bpa with a first round grade in a position of greater value. Drafting a stud CB means you don't have to trade multiple first round picks and spend $18mil per season to sign him.
Drafting for need is a short-sighted fix, whereas BPA is more of a long term play. Unless the players are very closely rated, then need is a good way to go.
Difference of opinion I guess.
I think most successful teams draft BPA.

I am simply saying that I would take the best available player. I am not going to reach for need when there are better
players available. It can be any position, not just a center. I don't see how that is a contradiction, it is what most teams do.

I think they target one or two players they like at each position of need. They try to get as many as they can considering where they are drafting. They could go three or four deep depending on position depth. Offensive center is a good example this year.

It's a balancing act of how they think they can get the best values. They have to be flexible as they draft evolves. These seem to be positions of need at least here at ROD. You could aegue WR and safety should be on the list. Punter and starting QB are off the table, They could draft in any order based on combined values.

OC or Other lineman
RB
ILB
Edge

That first pick starts things off. It could be any position order depending on grades and avaialblity. I think they weight the groupings individually and as a whole with need rating. They could take a lesser OC because they value a RB higher and feel they can still get one of their OCs later or visa versa. It doesn't mean if another player at a lesser need posititon is available but, has a higher rating (grade) they won't take him.

In McVays first draft they targeted TE Everett and were able to trade down and pick up another draft pick which they targeted J Johnson in round three. You know they had Cooper Kupp as a target and were smart enough to get him in round three.

Last year the Rams again traded down and drafted Taylor Rapp. They say that was the plan all along but, the Chargers drafted Nasir Adderley another safety with he pick before the Rams. Rams could have wanted him. Either way, they got their targeted position and either their first or second choice player. Darrel Henderson was a target to a point that they traded IIRC two third-round picks to move up and get him. They also targeted Greg Gaines and trade picks to get him.They found RB value they liked later in round three and didn't have to take one earlier.

Basically they use a weighted sytem on player grade, postional need ,position depth and avavaiablity. At least that's the way I see it. We can take guesses and have our favorites for the first. Even though Zach Baun probably won't be available I think he fits all the criteria for me. However I'm keeping an open mind and looking at the entire draft not just the first Rams pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Please excuse my typo in my prior post. Kindle has crap autocorrect. It was supposed to say 'I picked whom I thought was the BPA from that list.' And I also said teams group players that are closely rated. So if they have four players from their board available when they pick, need factors in. I can see BPA being a bigger factor in round 1. When the Rams pick at 52 they will have more than one player from their board to consider, unless a player that they rated much higher drops in their laps. But need is always a factor when there is a group of similarly rated players on a teams board at the time of the pick.I

But you said there will be a good center of guard available in round 3. So you addressed the position and not the player. So you are basing your pick by position.

Of that list I like one player better than Cushenberry and that is Winfield. But I'm don't know how Staley uses his safeties and the Rams have JJ. So my next closest player is Cushenberry. BPA at a position of need.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please excuse my typo in my prior post. Kindle has crap autocorrect. It was supposed to say 'I picked whom I thought was the BPA from that list.' And I also said teams group players that are closely rated. So if they have four players from their board available when they pick, need factors in. I can see BPA being a bigger factor in round 1. When the Rams pick at 52 they will have more than one player from their board to consider, unless a player that they rated much higher drops in their laps. But need is always a factor when there is a group of similarly rated players on a teams board at the time of the pick.I

But you said there will be a good center of guard available in round 3. So you addressed the position and not the player. So you are basing your pick by position.

Of that list I like one player better than Cushenberry and that is Winfield. But I'm don't know how Staley uses his safeties and the Rams have JJ. So my next closest player is Cushenberry. BPA at a position of need.
I look at the quality of this draft and see a lot of value in the C and G positions in the mid rounds. I expect Snead to do what he usually does and trade up or down to match the value with the need. I could see him moving down at least once to get value for his pick.
If you think Cushenbery is the BPA, then that is who who should draft. I just rate other players higher than him. The Rams seem to be very interested in WR Mims, if he is still there, he might be their pick.