Wheel of Time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
These books are off the chart in the genre they're so very good. I really hope they do them justice with the show. Lord knows they didn't with Shannara or Sword of Truth shows.
I read Eye of the World that weekend it first came out and had to wait for each one. Them were the days. But I agree, the world is fantastic. And I don't think I've ever read any fantasy novel with as good a system of magic.

Prior to George Martin writing his epic these were the apex of fantasy, up there with Lord of the Rings in some ways. He wasn't as good a writer as Martin but his world I think was better.

So big fan and very excited about this series. My kids piss me off because none of them have read any of these books. Need to disown them I guess.

Tano

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read Eye of the World that weekend it first came out and had to wait for each one. Them were the days. But I agree, the world is fantastic. And I don't think I've ever read any fantasy novel with as good a system of magic.

Prior to George Martin writing his epic these were the apex of fantasy, up there with Lord of the Rings in some ways. He wasn't as good a writer as Martin but his world I think was better.

So big fan and very excited about this series. My kids piss me off because none of them have read any of these books. Need to disown them I guess.
Seeing these trailers make me more and more that they will stay with the primary gist of the books. Oh there will be changes and deletions, but I still think we will recognize a lot from the books in these shows. Not like other books turned into tv or movies. The Bourne movies are a perfect example. Other than a couple character names being the same, the Bourne movies have almost nothing to do with the plot of the books.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Do your kids read anything at all. I'm afraid it's becoming too old fashioned with all the visual stimuli these days. I tried to get my granddaughter interested, she doesn't want to read at all.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seeing these trailers make me more and more that they will stay with the primary gist of the books. Oh there will be changes and deletions, but I still think we will recognize a lot from the books in these shows. Not like other books turned into tv or movies. The Bourne movies are a perfect example. Other than a couple character names being the same, the Bourne movies have almost nothing to do with the plot of the books.
The two season sword of truth show was like a whole new book. Had the same people but they changed sooooo much.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Do your kids read anything at all. I'm afraid it's becoming too old fashioned with all the visual stimuli these days. I tried to get my granddaughter interested, she doesn't want to read at all.
Either of you tried audio books? I’ve seen good success with them getting kids into books/story telling.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Either of you tried audio books? I’ve seen good success with them getting kids into books/story telling.
Worth a shot, the last time I did that it was a cassette in my car. CD's nowadays or an app on a handheld device I imagine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wheel of Time is a windfall if they do it right, no doubt about it. It may be one of the best series in terms of translating it to screen because its strengths were its magic and characters.

They can change minor things and make it much better, more adult and less childish like Nynaeve tugging her braids and all that. If they do it right they could easily have a Game of Thrones type result though I doubt they are going all in on this like HBO did with GoT. HBO did it right from the start from the funding, shoot locations, casting, and on and on.

Tano

Legend
Wheel of Time is a windfall if they do it right, no doubt about it. It may be one of the best series in terms of translating it to screen because its strengths were its magic and characters.

They can change minor things and make it much better, more adult and less childish like Nynaeve tugging her braids and all that. If they do it right they could easily have a Game of Thrones type result though I doubt they are going all in on this like HBO did with GoT. HBO did it right from the start from the funding, shoot locations, casting, and on and on.
Actually they had one of the highest budgets before the LOTR series that Amazon is also doing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Kids reading is going by the wayside I’m afraid.
We have had similar experiences. My step son was a video game junkie from very early on. My son was more of an action addict. He’s always wanted physical activity. When they were young I tried to get them reading. Mason wanted nothing to do with it but Linc started reading all of the Goosebumps books. I was very excited. But as he got older that faded too. Even my daughter won’t commit to reading. My Mother in Law loves to read and can read a book in a day. I was hoping my kids would have that rub off. But it’s a different age.

I sympathize though. As a kid I hated reading, until I discovered the old Conan books and then Piers Anthony, Robert Brooks and a few others. Now I read so much information on the internet that I don’t read books. All of the books I own now are information based.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just noticed I'm taking a little staycation time the week it’s released. Time to stock up on the popcorn.

Tano

Legend
I just noticed I'm taking a little staycation time the week it’s released. Time to stock up on the popcorn.
That’s a short staycation. Only going to show 3 episodes the first week and then one episode per week after that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s a short staycation. Only going to show 3 episodes the first week and then one episode per week after that.
All good! And I likely won't watch them just once, gotta watch a couple times for little things I missed. Don't do that with many shows at all but with all the reading I've done of the series kind of invested in this show.