What Speed Can Give McVay's Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
The NFL is definitely catching up to verticle passing attacks. I'd say the key is finding crafty ways to matriculate 11-12 play drives while the safeties are taking playing deep.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK

I thought so but unlike Reynolds and Everett, Webster is currently on the roster; and was rarely on the field with the offense.

I thought his inclusion in the post was odd.
Him being on the roster means about as much as Goff being on the roster when the Rams were mid-talks with Detroit during that press conference. He's a shitty special teams player and has zero value in the offense. :biggrin: (y)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Him being on the roster means about as much as Goff being on the roster when the Rams were mid-talks with Detroit during that press conference. He's a shitty special teams player and has zero value in the offense. :biggrin: (y)
Come on. Don’t hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Call me crazy, but I’m expecting a Top 3 Offense.

We haven’t had a QB of Stafford’s caliber since Kurt Warner. And now McVay will suddenly have his wide open playbook options back with all these weapons at his fingertips? Are you kidding me?
The Warner comparison is instructive. When the Rams lost personnel in FA and the line suffered injuries (and Warner's thumb was broken) he no longer looked like his 2x NFL MVP self. He went to Giants and Cards teams with bad OLines and pundits said he was washed up. What QB doesn't lead the league in sacks, fumbles, and/or interceptions when they lead the league in QB hit percentage?
My point is that
1. Stafford needs this OLine to be better than last year. When a defender ragdolls a blocker...it has nothing to do with scheme or QB reads.
2. Stretching the field requires linemen to hold their blocks longer.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Their PFF past protections grades that were that high due to McVay going to a short passing game. The majority of the passes were designed where the receivers did not run past 20 yards.

Question is, was it because of the lack of trust in the line? Or lack of trust in Goff?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Warner comparison is instructive. When the Rams lost personnel in FA and the line suffered injuries (and Warner's thumb was broken) he no longer looked like his 2x NFL MVP self. He went to Giants and Cards teams with bad OLines and pundits said he was washed up. What QB doesn't lead the league in sacks, fumbles, and/or interceptions when they lead the league in QB hit percentage?
Warner's grip problems led to a bunch of other issues tbh. Teams knew he couldn't go over the top any more first off, even throws like deep outs were unlikely and would float on him compared to previous seasons. So they could load the underneath and gamble and be aggressive far more than they could when the GSoT was in its heyday.

Removal of that fear is a big deal to a defense. It changes everything schematically. And it's no surprise that Warner bounced around a bit to NY then to AZ before he found the advantage the glove gave him and he got a bit of his mojo back.

Going back to our current offense teams are going to fear the deep ball immediately. They're going to be very careful in their gambles with blitzes and sitting on things underneath. And that is going to change everything. They won't be adjusting to defenses quite so much as they did the past two years. It will be a lot more of defenses adjusting to what they fear the Rams will do to them. This means there will be a lot of intermediate feasting in the pass game and a lot of underneath completions for big RAC.

Tano

Legend
Question is, was it because of the lack of trust in the line? Or lack of trust in Goff?
I don't know for sure but frequently when Goff tried a deep pass, Blythe's guy was in Goff's face.

I am sure McVay saw that too and maybe it was both Goff's and Blythe's fault since Goff's ability to maneuver on inside rushes sucked so bad. Goff was okay on the outside rushes, but he couldn't evade an inside rush at all.

nighttrain

Legend
I don't know for sure but frequently when Goff tried a deep pass, Blythe's guy was in Goff's face.

I am sure McVay saw that too and maybe it was both Goff's and Blythe's fault since Goff's ability to maneuver on inside rushes sucked so bad. Goff was okay on the outside rushes, but he couldn't evade an inside rush at all.
say thanks to Austin Blythe

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

Neither can Wilson, Brady, or Mahomes when AD busts up the gut. Interior pressure gets to every QB. That's my point.