10 things with Joe Noteboom

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sure looks like you & I are playing & rocking to the same sheet of music on this post.

When you have invested most of your teams assets in drafting one immobile slender pocket passer & follow-up by awarding him a massive % of your teams long term future salary cap .............stands to reason that it would be wise to prioritize the purchase of the best PROVEN insurance available to ensure that QB the needed protection to do what you are paying him so much $$$ to do.

The OL might would be the only unit where I would feel comfortable & consider overpaying for free agents. Save all of your higher draft picks for defensive players where normally you will get quick returns in good on field performances for your investments.
Bonifay Where have you Been ??
Over Paying ??? Since when ???

Whitworth was a nice signing , but The Rams offense needed a team leader on
the Offensive Line.
Just don’t understand everyone??
Will see what happens, but I don’t see that happening if history stays strong.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Reference to the poor physical condition of Rob Havenstein in 2019 vs to his 2018 season. Not sure that this was the problem, but I am just saying................. Recent very big events to Rob Havenstein was a new marriage then following a new firstborn child came screaming in.

Anyone who has had their first rug rat like me knows very well how your life changes & expecting any normal sleep, rest or workout plans go right out the window in abundant copious amounts.

Just maybe if this was an issue Rob has got this part of his life running smooth. I did not do well & stayed screwed up for a long periods of time.........o_O:palm:

You would think that maybe Whitworth could give Rob some info on how to manage things ...... Whitworth hired a full time nanny.

Looks to me like he was over weight.

Attachments

• 1580416829208.png
    1580416829208.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 71

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The repairs come with no guarantees. Doctors at the Richmond Bone and Joint Clinic in Sugarland, Texas, found in 2010 that 31 of 49 (63%) of NFL players studied returned to play in the league an average of 10.8 months after surgery.
So by my fuzzy math...

8 weeks from 29th January means his surgery should be around 25th March.

11 months (rounding up from the 10.8 average since he's a big dude) puts us at 27th January 2021.

Is the rehab now quicker than when that article was written?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Certainly looks to be proven issue with OL's versus most other positions.

It does seem to me that rookies & 2nd yr defensive players make a much more positive impacts on their teams units during those first two years in comparison to LT/RT/RG/LG & centers.

Snead going against the NFL natural flow in drafting OL'ers 2018/2019 expecting them to contribute early to replace those veteran starting Ol'ers. At this time Snead's route has yet to work positively for this team.

I think the Kromers have a big say in these decisions. They scout & evaluated this group. So the advantage stage is building the Youth. I can’t see how this Philosophy will change ??
Talk about Brewer,Evans, & Edwards all 22 . That is the New Young core.
Noteboom will not even be back in 2020
this report. Still can not walk. Copper Kupp was way ahead of Booms schedule & time line. It took him longer than it may have seemed, when he was 100%.
Just makes the Whitworth resigning that much easier. Why change ?? If or when Noteboom comes back then what ??!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't disagree with anything you're saying. I fully recognize drafting and developing and it's my preference on the OL. But it's going to be important for guys like Allen and Boom to actually win jobs through competition vice having it handed to them like the Rams did in '19.

If for example the Rams drafted Cushenberry and Allen were to beat him out (yes it's unlikely) I would have zero issues with him being our starter. That doesn't require a FA. But if they go sign an OG or C in FA it has the same effect, that being more competition at the other spots. If they get a RG for example then Edwards (who is going to be a plus starter IMO) can compete with Corbett at LG and by extension if Corbett beats him out I'm feeling really good about him at LG.

For me this basically goes back to the level of talent. I believe you think it's sufficient from what you have said, correct? I'm just not of that mind, and even though I'm all for drafting and developing I think we need a boost. It's that simple. If it were me I'd take advantage of this FA market and let Whit roll on to greener pastures but if the Rams go another way so be it. Not like I'm not used to them doing just that lol.

that is funny & true...

The math question I have is what is the addition & the subtraction. Then add as much as you want Andrew Whitworth
GONE ?? I believe it WON’T happen. He resigns. Makes to much sense. I’d be in total Shock .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it funny, but then I usually have a good laugh at hypocrisy, Roger Saffold became a pretty good guard after a few years there. Which was after four injury riddled years with mediocre play at LT and a couple average years at guard.

Now with a year of complaining we didn’t retain Saffold people insist we have to move on from young guys that have had in almost every case less than a year of starting.

Joe Noteboom? A handful of starts out of position and he’s not good enough to play either guard or tackle.

Brian Allen? Same thing a handful of starts and he’s not good enough.

Edwards and Evans? He’ll Evans had a rough training camp and preseason and people were calling him a bad pick before the regular season ended. Edwards wasn’t great out of the gate and he was getting the same treatment.

Big Rob Havenstein had a bad year and got injured and now he’s a horrible contract that needs to be dumped.

It sure doesn’t take long for people to forget that we had to develop Saffold, change OLine coaches and bring an offensive minded head coach for him to be this good. Maybe, just maybe some of our young guys will develop like Roger Saffold did. And maybe if some around here have their way it’ll happen when another team claims them off waivers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn. You must find it excruciatingly painful to even load this site. :LOL:
Not at all my friend! Two things are usually happening, I’m either working and this is a relief or it’s after work and bourbon is involved :D

Ram65

Legend
So by my fuzzy math...

11 months (rounding up from the 10.8 average since he's a big dude) puts us at 27th January 2021.

Let's say recovery is a little faster 10 years later. Let's round down to 10 months from both injury date and estimated surgery date, It stated he had surgery 8 weeks ago. Don't know when he was interviewed.

Injury Oct 14th makes it August 14th 2020

Surgery Dec 1st would put it Around Oct 1st 2020

It's possible that he can return during the preseason. I imagine he would be a little rusty that late into training camp. It would be great if they would give out more information.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
So by my fuzzy math...

Merlin,

When Boom said “8 weeks from surgery”, we assume he means surgery was 8 weeks in the past, not 8 weeks in the future.

So, we’re guessing that Boom had surgery about 8 weeks prior to Jan. 29, or around Dec. 1st.

And yeah, I agree with Ram 65 that recovery rates in 2020 “should” be a little faster than they were back in 2010.

One last thing: I think it’s safe to assume that Boom was doing strength and flexibility exercises in the six weeks between his injury (Oct 13) and his surgery (approx Dec. 1st). Those six weeks of rehab should theoretically make his recovery a little easier.

Anyway, every body is different, etc, etc, but I still think that if Boom was injured on Oct 13 of 2019 he “should” be ready by Sept or Oct of 2020.

Whether or not we should count on him as a starter is of course an entirely different question...

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I'm an idiot, read it as that he hadn't had the surgery yet. :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every NFL Team's Biggest Offseason Question Mark
Kristopher Knox
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2873344-every-nfl-teams-biggest-offseason-question-mark#slide18

Los Angeles Rams: The Interior OL
The Los Angeles Rams saw the departure of starting guard Rodger Saffold and starting center John Sullivan last offseason, and the offense never quite recovered. Replacements like Austin Blythe and Joseph Noteboom struggled to maintain consistency, and the Rams eventually traded for Austin Corbett.

Heading into 2020, the interior line is still a question mark.

"Those were really good football players, and it's not fair for these young guys to even have the expectation that they're going to play like that yet," Rams tackle Andrew Whitworth said on The Herd with Colin Cowherd.

The Rams also have to replace pending free agent Whitworth, though he has stated that a return is his top choice. Retaining him isn't going to upgrade the center and guard positions, however, which L.A. will need to do through free agency and the draft.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I find it funny, but then I usually have a good laugh at hypocrisy, Roger Saffold became a pretty good guard after a few years there. Which was after four injury riddled years with mediocre play at LT and a couple average years at guard.

Now with a year of complaining we didn’t retain Saffold people insist we have to move on from young guys that have had in almost every case less than a year of starting.

Joe Noteboom? A handful of starts out of position and he’s not good enough to play either guard or tackle.

Brian Allen? Same thing a handful of starts and he’s not good enough.

Edwards and Evans? He’ll Evans had a rough training camp and preseason and people were calling him a bad pick before the regular season ended. Edwards wasn’t great out of the gate and he was getting the same treatment.

Big Rob Havenstein had a bad year and got injured and now he’s a horrible contract that needs to be dumped.

It sure doesn’t take long for people to forget that we had to develop Saffold, change OLine coaches and bring an offensive minded head coach for him to be this good. Maybe, just maybe some of our young guys will develop like Roger Saffold did. And maybe if some around here have their way it’ll happen when another team claims them off waivers.
I believe Saffold was always a solid OL'er from day one but even being what I think he was as an Ol'er.....just take a walk down memory lane to remember all the trial & tribulations that a good OL'er had to go through in the NFL just to survive to finally get his excellent payday! Makes my point that most good performing OL'ers take a much longer amount of simmering & preparation before being ready to start. Most old timers know this well.

I expected Noteboom to be our starting LT before Andrew Whitworth announced that he return to the Rams to play in 2019. The Noteboom to LG was a little surprise but the only other OL'er on the roster before the draft who might be considered was Jamil Demby. It made some sense to go with Noteboom from the LT to LG post as the #6 2018 OL'er. So I thought.:oops:

Noteboom's future in the NFL will be @ LT or RT nothing else. I fully expect that Noteboom will be the starting LT in 2021

I have been much cooler on Allen's future here. He is like Noteboom both are entering 3rd yr of their 4 yr contracts. Is anyone sure what Kromer is thinking on Allen? :bueller:

My present position is to sign a vet. starting versatile OC/OG "combining" in with youngsters Allen/ Shelton/ Trewyn/ Corbett but if the Rams resign Whitworth to that large $$ 1 yr. contract that would be a roadblock in my druthers. Rams would more probable find low budget just cut "non UFA" to fill that interior OL role.

Rams Org. position ref. Allen's future ????...perhaps be more positive than many believe. Possibly they think that it was "THEM" who placed Allen in a position to fail. Allen did start most all his 9 gms with inexperience untested or weak NFL starting OG's beside him? Noteboom/ Edwards & Corbett @ LG & Blythe/ Demby & Edwards @ RG. Yes Blythe is a veteran but is also a known weak starting NFL RG too. I would be real surprised to see Allen released this season.

Allen might be put back on the back burner & turn on simmer for additional stewing before giving up on him. The young Corbett/ Evans/ Noteboom/Edwards & Allen represent this Org's investment for their future starting OL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been much cooler on Allen's future here. He is like Noteboom both are entering 3rd yr of their 4 yr contracts. Is anyone sure what Kromer is thinking on Allen? :bueller:
I would hope he's thinking "competition." That's one of the biggest problems with the way those replacements went down IMO. Rams crowned two young players who had worked hard the year before, didn't make them win the jobs with any sort of competition, and then sat them during preseason because they knew the depth was weak/unproven.

Guy like Allen isn't going to get a starting job handed to him like that more than once in his career. He might have missed his window. But there's nothing wrong with allowing him to ratchet up the competition with open line jobs which has a way of pushing performance. If the Rams sign a FA center that they know will start, then let Allen compete at OG.

Same deal with Boom tbh. If he's healthy put him in the mix but he's gotta earn it. I really feel like not having that was a big part of the equation last season in the OL malaise we saw, guys were just too comfortable on a unit that saw a departure of a high end talent.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would hope he's thinking "competition." That's one of the biggest problems with the way those replacements went down IMO. Rams crowned two young players who had worked hard the year before, didn't make them win the jobs with any sort of competition, and then sat them during preseason because they knew the depth was weak/unproven.

Guy like Allen isn't going to get a starting job handed to him like that more than once in his career. He might have missed his window. But there's nothing wrong with allowing him to ratchet up the competition with open line jobs which has a way of pushing performance. If the Rams sign a FA center that they know will start, then let Allen compete at OG.

Same deal with Boom tbh. If he's healthy put him in the mix but he's gotta earn it. I really feel like not having that was a big part of the equation last season in the OL malaise we saw, guys were just too comfortable on a unit that saw a departure of a high end talent.

What ?? Allen at Guard !! Wow talk about having a junk Offensive Line.
Now I’m all for competition, but wow !! Just the thought of it doesn’t seem right.