What is something you really miss.......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I miss the 70s. Well, some things about the 70s. There were very obvious shortfalls.

What I enjoyed about the 70s

Narcissism was correctly seen as a mental disorder.

People in entertainment weren't "brands".

People took pictures of OTHER people or the scenery. You had to ask a stranger to get your whole party in a picture.

There was still a strong feeling that life wasn't about things.

Technology was pretty even in that no matter how much money you had, you weren't getting bigger or better than a 26" Sony Trinitron color TV and that was in the late 70s.

While minimum wage was scandalously low, it wasn't that hard in most places to find a job you could support yourself on.

College was a matter of wanting to go to college, not so much affordability as between scholarships and summer jobs, one could pay for both classes, dorms and books and end up with no debt.

You could get an amazing muscle car for pretty cheap and fix it up.

Flying was a pretty big deal and people dressed for it.

Life before microwave ovens...

Eating out was okay and somewhat a treat, but the best food for most was at home.

Your home, car, clothes weren't seen as such status symbols. Sure, you could get a Rolex, but even multi-millionaires wore Haggar slacks.

CBs and Ham Radios were a big deal.

The movies of the 70s were freaking AMAZING!!!

What I don't miss about the 70s.

Cringey, pedo advertisements. Even in the 70s as a kid, I knew that little girls weren't sexy. This ad in particular

th

Avocado appliances. I hate those with a passion.

Ma Bell. F that B in the blowhole. We wouldn't have the internet or cell phones at today's level if Bell weren't broken up.

Disco. I was raised on R&B and Disco hijacked my music for too long. The funk was put on the back burner for disco...ugh. Good rock, but crappy disco...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Drive in theaters

with family thru my younger days progressing to my mid 20’s ...well most of us have been there, I say it’s criminal they done away with them

Good Times
We still have one about 10 miles away from where i live.
Haven't been there in a few years, but they also still do double features.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If anything, you'd think the studios would put some money behind revamping a few as that's a decent way to show movies on the big screen.

Even if they were relegated to seasonal offerings and showing older films (Rocky Horror as well as classic films or films like Top Gun when the sequel finally comes out), it'd be a boon. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that'd take a drive in movie over watching at home right now

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Drive in theaters

with family thru my younger days progressing to my mid 20’s ...well most of us have been there, I say it’s criminal they done away with them

Good Times
We still have one about 10 miles away from where i live.
Haven't been there in a few years, but they also still do double features.

Went to one in Oregon last Saturday actually, caught Ghostbusters and Karate Kid. Good times for sure.

I miss my first apartment. It was my first home away from home if you know what I mean. I changed so much there and felt so secure and comfortable. I hope to recapture that feeling again someday. Maybe by buying a house like you @oldnotdead ;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I miss the 70s. Well, some things about the 70s. There were very obvious shortfalls.

What I enjoyed about the 70s

Narcissism was correctly seen as a mental disorder.

People in entertainment weren't "brands".

People took pictures of OTHER people or the scenery. You had to ask a stranger to get your whole party in a picture.

There was still a strong feeling that life wasn't about things.

Technology was pretty even in that no matter how much money you had, you weren't getting bigger or better than a 26" Sony Trinitron color TV and that was in the late 70s.

While minimum wage was scandalously low, it wasn't that hard in most places to find a job you could support yourself on.

College was a matter of wanting to go to college, not so much affordability as between scholarships and summer jobs, one could pay for both classes, dorms and books and end up with no debt.

You could get an amazing muscle car for pretty cheap and fix it up.

Flying was a pretty big deal and people dressed for it.

Life before microwave ovens...

Eating out was okay and somewhat a treat, but the best food for most was at home.

Your home, car, clothes weren't seen as such status symbols. Sure, you could get a Rolex, but even multi-millionaires wore Haggar slacks.

CBs and Ham Radios were a big deal.

The movies of the 70s were freaking AMAZING!!!

What I don't miss about the 70s.

Cringey, pedo advertisements. Even in the 70s as a kid, I knew that little girls weren't sexy. This ad in particular

th

Avocado appliances. I hate those with a passion.

Ma Bell. F that B in the blowhole. We wouldn't have the internet or cell phones at today's level if Bell weren't broken up.

Disco. I was raised on R&B and Disco hijacked my music for too long. The funk was put on the back burner for disco...ugh. Good rock, but crappy disco...

A lot of good stuff in here. (y)

Society was more trusting. Meaning... Your starting point on everything was more positive.

The guy walking down the street... is just a nice man out for a walk. Not a guy that could be a pervert so, keep the kids away.

Hitch hiking was rather safe. “That person needs help”. Today... You think the person must be trouble.

You left the house as a kid, came home at dinner. Never checked in. Never felt the need... it’s not dinner time yet. :D

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of good stuff in here. (y)

Society was more trusting. Meaning... Your starting point on everything was more positive.

The guy walking down the street... is just a nice man out for a walk. Not a guy that could be a pervert so, keep the kids away.

Hitch hiking was rather safe. “That person needs help”. Today... You think the person must be trouble.

You left the house as a kid, came home at dinner. Never checked in. Never felt the need... it’s not dinner time yet. :D
Yes...and heaven help you if it was dinner time and you didn't hear Mom's yell.....:bueller:

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I also miss the freedom of simply going on a backcountry hike for multiple days, a couple of times for a week or much more. Sometimes alone or with my girlfriend at the time. We travelled light, no 70 lbs of backpack for us. Mine was always less than 15 lbs hers always around 10 lbs. She was really good at finding wild plant edibles, and I was very good at fishing. We carried only dehydrated meals back then, no MRE's like today. But they were for emergencies only. Normally we found enough along the way to eat.

What was so wonderful is we could hike without fear. Only one incident in all the years right at the end on my last backpack trip before going into the Navy. It was a couple of guys guarding their weed field. All I ever carried was a takedown survival .22 carbine and it's the only time I ever used it.

I had been hiking the backcountry since I was a teenager in the early '60s and that incident happened in 1971 in NorCal. One of my favorite hiking areas was behind Big Sur National Park, going upstream along Big Sur River. Beautiful country, clean river just needed boiling for purification, bathing, abundant trout, and crayfish, Mormon tea, wild onions, cattails, yucca, prickly pear and a whole lot of other wild edibles for the taking along the way. 99% of the people I would encounter along the way were great people, who for the most part minded their own business but friendly and helpful if asked.

It was tribal land but the native Americans were great hosts as long as you respected the land and did not collect artifacts. There were many rock paintings and carvings that were very thought-provoking. I had no doubt that the native Americans of the Esselen Tribe lived well with abundant year-round food and water and generally mild weather. At one interior campground, there was a tribal member who maintained it and only asked a few dollars a night to stay there. There were many nights we spoke around the campfire and he would tell me things passed down by elders.

It was a simply wonderful time. As a teenager, my dad drove me up to the state park and I (sometimes my girlfriend also) would backpack upriver while he and a friend or two camped at the Park. Later when I had my own transportation I would drive up there on my own. One year I went up there from LA every other weekend. My family settled in CA in 1890 and we now live throughout the US but mostly in CA and the Southwest in general.

I've hiked the Sierras in CA, and Cascades in WA but my favorite hikes were in Big Sur there is no doubt in my mind. To this day when I think of hiking, I don't think of the John Muir Trail which I did parts of but of Big Sur. Thank god the fires in 2016 spared most of the area I used to hike but there were other areas that were burned badly.

In fact when I got married my wife who I met backpacking, planned the honeymoon. 3 nights at the Ventana Inn in Big Sur an 5 days on a horse pack camping trip in the Trinity Mountains looking for Bigfoot. Just me and her and the guide/camp master/wrangler. LOL Damn those were the days!

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That Taco Bell talk reminds me of another, but it’s specific to where I live...

I miss Mexican restaurants. There are none around here. The restaurants we have are more Tex-Mex... not even close to the same.

So all you lucky suckers with those nearby... I’m jealous!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I miss the old fishing holes I used to go to as a kid. The San Joaquin river was less than a mile away. We used to ride our bikes to the river during the summer to swim and fish. Now the whole area is private property. Can't go there anymore.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You left the house as a kid, came home at dinner. Never checked in. Never felt the need... it’s not dinner time yet.
I grew up at the end of a street which led to a township baseball field that was closed when I was little. There were always sports being played there, pickup games of football, frisbee, softball etc. At one point a small BMX track was made there. Also of note was a Siren that would ring to alert the volunteer firemen. That siren would go off every day at 6pm, which was the rule to come home. If you heard a parent yelling for their kid after the Siren? You knew somebody was going to take a beating...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I miss a lot of the same things that have been mentioned.
MTV, the 80s, pre-internet middle class culture, bi-partisan political cooperation, non-biased news and hard rock music as the King of mainstream teenage culture.
Also, not just enchiritos from taco bell, but their original yellow corn nachos too.

I miss the Pizza Hut of 1985. Get a pitcher of beer, the cheese actually stretched, the toppings were diced small and the pan pizza crust was cooked all the way through.
Yummy.

Right now, I miss my career. I miss live shows. Live crowds.
I miss taking the girls to games and training camp in St. Louis.

I miss Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast.
He still makes them, but it always takes so long for new episodes that I "miss" them.

I miss pre-cgi movie effects.
Casey Kasems top 40.

Oh, and I miss music before auto-tune, pitch correction, digital recording on a grid and pro-tools. All mainstream music is so sanitized and interchangeable now. It's lost all of its soul.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I miss buying pot from middle-class suburban drug dealers

It was always a crap shoot
Sometimes you had no money and the golden Thai was flowing, then you were flush with cash but things were dry.

You had to go to a designated spot after waiting all day to get the dealer to answer their pager — then show up and wait at the park or your old elementary school and your dealer would drive up in his Supra roll down the windows and you’d do the “handshake” transaction

Some days it would be the ultimate buds and the next super seedy and stemmy - zero quality control. Then there were the scales - always being pinched here and there

Then there was that foreboding feeling of having to hang with your dealer cause he didn’t want all the traffic coming in and out of their place, so you ended up watching snowboarding videos or looking at his Adidas trimm trabb collection he’s being collecting with all that cash. All you wanted was to get your weed and go.

Now it’s all regulated perfection

Anyway, it’s a next to extinct experience

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That Taco Bell talk reminds me of another, but it’s specific to where I live...

I miss Mexican restaurants. There are none around here. The restaurants we have are more Tex-Mex... not even close to the same.

So all you lucky suckers with those nearby... I’m jealous!
But I'm jealous of all that elk meat you get to eat in "Life Above Zero" country!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But I'm jealous of all that elk meat you get to eat in "Life Above Zero" country!

Yeah... good point... people hunt that, and I’ve bought that... and specific to my area the access to fresh lobster and seafood. (y)

There are offsets to everything, eh?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah... good point... people hunt that, and I’ve bought that... and specific to my area the access to fresh lobster and seafood. (y)

There are offsets to everything, eh?
Bastid....If I could die by eating too much lobster tail, I wouldn't mind going out that way!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Quaaludes.

Seriously. They were awesome.