What if Rams now think their OL is ‘fixed’? (Among other positions)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Rams have their pick of some very good IOL at 36, or with one of their 2 3rd rounders. I think they'll bolster the line with one of those 3 picks depending how the draft falls.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We still need a upgrade at Center.
When you upgrade your Center you're also simultaneously upgrading your Guards.

And I, (personally) am still not sold at what we have at left tackle as that remains to be seen.

Even both Guard spots are not exactly solid.

Get a Guard/Center in the third and I will feel much better.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Enter John Michael Schmidtz. He's likely there at 36 and possibly the best interior OL in the draft.

nighttrain

Legend
I do not know what the draft will bring, but I would like to see Jackson starting at Left Tackle, see if he can do the job, there were signs that he maybe could, let's find out before the 2024 draft. Draft a Center with #36?
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And I still say it was a mistake only taking Anchrum in the 7th round and then nothing in 2021 made it even worse

And then only 1 pick Bruss last year didn't exactly help last year's situation

I have always said that OL is the most important position group in the NFL and need to focus on that in the draft every year by making 1 pick in the top 4 rounds every year and another pick in the later rounds.
Back in 2021 the Rams had a ton of OL'ers:

RT Max Pricher
LT Joe Noteboom
LT Andrew Whitworth
RT Rob Havenstein
OC Jeremiah Kolone
OG Jamil Demby
LT Alaric Jackson
OC Coleman Shelton
OG Chandler Brewer
OG David Edwards
OC Brian Allen
OG Austin Corbett
OG The Great Bobby Evans
OG Tremayne Anchrum

1679163421142.png

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame

RT Max Pricher
LT Joe Noteboom
LT Andrew Whitworth
RT Rob Havenstein
OC Jeremiah Kolone
OG Jamil Demby
LT Alaric Jackson
OC Coleman Shelton
OG Chandler Brewer

OG David Edwards
OC Brian Allen
OG Austin Corbett
OG Bobby Evans
OG Tremayne Anchrum
^^^^^ My 2023 keepers. Add to them Zach Thomas (T), Logan Bruss (G), AJ Arcuri (T), a rookie center and a rookie IOL. Keep the 2 who miss the 53 on the practice squad, if possible. Release or trade Allen after June 1st.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams have:

OT: Noteboom, Jackson, Havenstein, Arcuri
OG: Shelton, Bruss, Thomas, Brewer
Center: Allen, Shelton

If they draft OL they will be drafting a backup center because Shelton projects as their starting center next year and beyond. This year they can play Jackson at LG, Shelton at RG with Bruss, Thomas and Brewer backing up. Looking at their cap and age, Havenstein projects as gone next year with Jackson taking over. Shelton moves to center with Bruss and Thomas starting at OG.

I have contended that they should take a good first look at their present personnel. There is talent in OG Bruss and Thomas. Thomas looks like he could become that classic pulling OG in the run attack, something they lacked and tried to use guys like Blythe who lacked the athleticism to play that style. If you want to run it all starts on the OL.

People discount UDFA OL but Jackson, Shelton and Brewer have all looked good and all were UDFA. They have their base roster guys. They can mine the UDFA prospects and sign them to the PS which is a developmental squad.

The OL this year is TBD. But IMO there is more clarity next year. It's just a matter of them wanting to commit to them this year.

This is 2024 OL IMO as it stands now:

LT Noteboom
LG Thomas
C Shelton
RG Bruss
RT Jackson

Reserves: Allen, Havenstein, Brewer, Toner

It wouldn't surprise me if they ended the season this year with that OL. The key is looking at Shelton's contract structure. He's anticipating becoming the starter at some point this year. There is an assumption that Allen will get injured again. If not Shelton becomes a starter either at center or OG. Both Thomas and Bruss play with a nasty streak, something you want in your starting OGs. Both Noteboom and Jackson have shown good feet to mirror on the outside. Shelton has shown good vision and anticipation. IMO that OL is what they should start this year. Havenstein is 31 years old and his feet haven't gotten any faster. Rob is going to be on the roster this year simply due to his cap numbers. But that doesn't mean he has to start. Jackson is already a better RT than he is. If they want to keep Stafford healthy they need to sit Rob.

Tano

Legend

RT Max Pricher
LT Joe Noteboom
LT Andrew Whitworth
RT Rob Havenstein
OC Jeremiah Kolone
OG Jamil Demby
LT Alaric Jackson
OC Coleman Shelton
OG Chandler Brewer
OG David Edwards
OC Brian Allen
OG Austin Corbett
OG The Great Bobby Evans
OG Tremayne Anchrum

View attachment 59170
And I still wanted a center that draft in the second or third round

Tano

Legend
The Rams have:

OT: Noteboom, Jackson, Havenstein, Arcuri
OG: Shelton, Bruss, Thomas, Brewer
Center: Allen, Shelton

If they draft OL they will be drafting a backup center because Shelton projects as their starting center next year and beyond. This year they can play Jackson at LG, Shelton at RG with Bruss, Thomas and Brewer backing up. Looking at their cap and age, Havenstein projects as gone next year with Jackson taking over. Shelton moves to center with Bruss and Thomas starting at OG.

I have contended that they should take a good first look at their present personnel. There is talent in OG Bruss and Thomas. Thomas looks like he could become that classic pulling OG in the run attack, something they lacked and tried to use guys like Blythe who lacked the athleticism to play that style. If you want to run it all starts on the OL.

People discount UDFA OL but Jackson, Shelton and Brewer have all looked good and all were UDFA. They have their base roster guys. They can mine the UDFA prospects and sign them to the PS which is a developmental squad.

The OL this year is TBD. But IMO there is more clarity next year. It's just a matter of them wanting to commit to them this year.

This is 2024 OL IMO as it stands now:

LT Noteboom
LG Thomas
C Shelton
RG Bruss
RT Jackson

Reserves: Allen, Havenstein, Brewer, Toner

It wouldn't surprise me if they ended the season this year with that OL. The key is looking at Shelton's contract structure. He's anticipating becoming the starter at some point this year. There is an assumption that Allen will get injured again. If not Shelton becomes a starter either at center or OG. Both Thomas and Bruss play with a nasty streak, something you want in your starting OGs. Both Noteboom and Jackson have shown good feet to mirror on the outside. Shelton has shown good vision and anticipation. IMO that OL is what they should start this year. Havenstein is 31 years old and his feet haven't gotten any faster. Rob is going to be on the roster this year simply due to his cap numbers. But that doesn't mean he has to start. Jackson is already a better RT than he is. If they want to keep Stafford healthy they need to sit Rob.
I am not a big fan of shelton as center. He was a much better guard in the few games he played there (well at least in the Buffalo game when he had Allen next to him). He may have not been as good when Kolone was next to him.

Tano

Legend
That's one opinion. However

2020 Anchrum (7th)
2022 Bruss (3rd)
2022 Arcuri (7th)

So 2 picks in the draft every year means you either carry 15 OL (I know that would have helped last year) or you'd have to release existing OL or the draft picks (effectively wasting those selections). If you're releasing multiple picks from the first four rounds that's a big waste. The Rams, in the last 5 years, have drafted OL in the first 4 rounds 4 times and multiple OL in the draft 3 times.
I would only release the ones who are just no good (Kolone, Evans) and trade ones that are okay but maybe we could get better (Edwards, Blythe, etc) and let the injury prone one's go (Allen, Noteboom, etc)

How many wasted draft picks have we had in other positions and had to let go.

Draft picks in the later rounds are a crapshoot. Sometimes you get lucky.

And with that, I would hope they would get lucky with an OL pick in the later rounds.

Tano

Legend
And I might add - who on the Rams OL is untouchable right now?

Right now - we have a bunch of - ehh JAG, JAG, JAG, etc etc etc

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't know how anyone can pencil in Logan Bruss after how he performed in TC and pre season games.
Knocked on his ass half the time, clueless in blocking scheme. He's got a lot of catching up to do in TC.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Don't know how anyone can pencil in Logan Bruss after how he performed in TC and pre season games.
Knocked on his ass half the time, clueless in blocking scheme. He's got a lot of catching up to do in TC.
True. Not to mention the injury/recovery may set him back some.

And maybe, just maybe this new OL coach may get more out of them than Carberry (though with all the injuries did KC have a chance?). Kromer had the OL playing decent in 2019 (28 PPG wks 1-5) and miraculously average after Noteboom, Allen and Big Rob went down! That was with Whit, rookie Edwards at LG, Blythe at C, 2nd yr 0 starts Corbett at RG and rookie Evans at RT! Talk about "miracle worker"!

I'm convinced you don't need "studs" to be successful, just a fine tuned cohesive unit. And so far, that's the way McVay/Snead seem to approach it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Far from being impressive would be the best I can say on Logan Bruss rookie 2022 brief appearances.If not for the injury & the surgery & Injured Reserve designation he may have been cut. That destroyed knee might have saved his NFL career up to now.

Would not surprise me if last season's most healthy OL'er AJ Arcuri did not get some reps early in OTA's & Training Camp @ either OG post. OL coaches Wendell/Kromer have RT Max Pircher entering his 3rd season with the Rams & he can get a ton of action @ the #2 RT post behind Hav.

Arcuri
is built to be an RT in a run-prominent offense in the NFL he has much to offer as the young Havenstein did but not as large. Last season he got a start @ LT & did not do poorly handling it in place of the injured Nsekhe. Arcuri had more starts @ LT than RT in college. Arcuri is a very large OL'er who has huge hands over 11 inches & 34 1/2 arms. But if you wanted some size/power added to the interior @ time AJ Arcuri fills the bill. But being just under 6-7 inches tall is an issue for playing OG.

Keep an eye out for this in TC this summer. He could serve as a very good four-post emergency reserve in this 2023 OL unit.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The offensive line is not "fixed". But it can be better than last year if they stay healthy enough.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Far from being impressive would be the best I can say on Logan Bruss rookie 2022 brief appearances.If not for the injury & the surgery & Injured Reserve designation he may have been cut. That destroyed knee might have saved his NFL career up to now.
I couldn't see them cutting a 3rd round pick in his rookie season. Worst case for him woulda been inactive till the injuries started hitting. They won't cut bait so quick. I see them giving him a chance to work through whatever wasn't working for him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I couldn't see them cutting a 3rd round pick in his rookie season. Worst case for him woulda been inactive till the injuries started hitting. They won't cut bait so quick. I see them giving him a chance to work through whatever wasn't working for him.
Someone who suggests a third round pick interior lineman was going to be cut as a rookie is working hard to not be taken seriously.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
And I still say it was a mistake only taking Anchrum in the 7th round and then nothing in 2021 made it even worse

And then only 1 pick Bruss last year didn't exactly help last year's situation

I have always said that OL is the most important position group in the NFL and need to focus on that in the draft every year by making 1 pick in the top 4 rounds every year and another pick in the later rounds.

We still need a upgrade at Center.
When you upgrade your Center you're also simultaneously upgrading your Guards.

And I, (personally) am still not sold at what we have at left tackle as that remains to be seen.

Even both Guard spots are not exactly solid.

Get a Guard/Center in the third and I will feel much better.

Enter John Michael Schmidtz. He's likely there at 36 and possibly the best interior OL in the draft.

I do not know what the draft will bring, but I would like to see Jackson starting at Left Tackle, see if he can do the job, there were signs that he maybe could, let's find out before the 2024 draft. Draft a Center with #36?
train

Just throwing this out there as a random thought, what if we drafted somebody like a dominant RT rookie like Dawand Jones from Georgia with 36? Move Havenstein to LT?

There appears to be 4-6 servicable LT prospects in the 3-5 round this year that have a ton of experience and goo but not amazing grades. Would that be a better option?