What Happens to La’el Collins Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not think Fisher or Boudreau wants Collins now. Just my gut feeling.

They have their future smart starting ORT now in Havenstein & IMO moved on already.

The competition to sign this UDFA will be Heavy Duty & will cost$$$$.

I bet the Panthers & the Pats do everything possible to land him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says the league’s stance is clear: “If he’s not drafted today? He would be the same as any other player in this draft. He becomes a free agent like any other undrafted player. You only go through one draft. If he’s drafted and sits out the year, he would go back into the 2016 draft.”

Clear as mud Greg. Thanks for clearing that up. So you only go through one draft unless you are drafted, then you only go through one draft again because you were drafted so therefore that draft doesn't count as your one draft because though being drafted you refused to sign so that draft didn't happen and you then go through one draft and only one draft unless you don't get drafted because that makes you an undrafted free agent and even though you didn't get drafted, you went through your one draft more so than someone who ACTUALLY got drafted in their one draft that no longer counts as their one draft. Got it.

Not sure if it's possible but I'd sign him for a very large incentive-laden contract contingent on him being cleared of charges. It'd be like getting another first round pick. We have the money to do it.
I don't think the CBA allows for it or else everyone that falls out of the first round would be doing that.

except Collins is a FA, and he chooses where he wants to go
Right. Goodhell will have nothing to do with it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I do not think Fisher or Boudreau wants Collins now. Just my gut feeling.

They have their future smart starting ORT now in Havenstein & IMO moved on already.

The competition to sign this UDFA will be Heavy Duty & will cost$$$$.

I bet the Panthers & the Pats do everything possible to land him.

The way it was explained he would have to go in the UDFA rookie pool and that would severely limit the amount he can be offered by any team. Competition may be fierce but not because of the cash offered.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The way it was explained he would have to go in the UDFA rookie pool and that would severely limit the amount he can be offered by any team. Competition may be fierce but not because of the cash offered.

Well maybe he will want to stay close to LA & the Mississippi river?? Avoid the Saints who are in decline. only one state between them is Arkansas stright line up or down.

nighttrain

Legend
idiot should have never threatened to not sign a contract and re-enter next year's draft. Now he's stuck as UDFA and cheap for the next 3 years

Should fire his agent
haha, now he's a free agent with a cap on his contract, AND cant enter next years draft. What an idiot, but some team will get lucky. Get him for league minimum for a couple of years.
train

nighttrain

Legend
exactly, League minimum 1st year
train

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't think the CBA allows for it or else everyone that falls out of the first round would be doing that.

Players that fell out of the first round wouldn't be able to do that because they're almost all drafted; that is, they don't go undrafted like Collins did. If a player is drafted by a team in a round lower than what the player wants, they are still that team's property. If that player refuses to sign with the team that drafted them, I'm pretty sure they have to sit out a year and then be drafted again which wouldn't help them because they'd almost assuredly be drafted even lower, if not at all.

The reason this is different is because no one drafted him. He's free to go where he wants for *whatever*(this is where I'm fuzzy) contract he wants. The part I'm not sure about is the size/type of contract that is allowed to be given to UDFA's. There might be a limit to the money amount and/or they may not be able to put contingencies clauses in it.

V3

Hall of Fame
Well maybe he will want to stay close to LA & the Mississippi river?? Avoid the Saints who are in decline. only one state between them is Arkansas stright line up or down.
If he signed with the Rams, he's almost guaranteed to start at RT. He's better than Havenstein. So we have that going for us too.

MrMotes

Starter
exactly, League minimum 1st year
train

Which is about the same as if drafted late in the 3rd, according to this:

http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-collins-earn-as-an-undrafted-free-agent/

Every undrafted rookie is locked into signing a three year contract. The three year contract will contain the minimum Paragraph 5 salary in each year, which will equal payouts of $435,000 in 2015, $525,000 in 2016, and $615,000 in 2017. These are the same numbers as rookies drafted after the 3rd round and many of the players drafted in the third round, so it is not a major loss for Collins of any player who was not projected to be a 2nd round pick.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Which is about the same as if drafted late in the 3rd, according to this:

http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-collins-earn-as-an-undrafted-free-agent/

Every undrafted rookie is locked into signing a three year contract. The three year contract will contain the minimum Paragraph 5 salary in each year, which will equal payouts of $435,000 in 2015, $525,000 in 2016, and $615,000 in 2017. These are the same numbers as rookies drafted after the 3rd round and many of the players drafted in the third round, so it is not a major loss for Collins of any player who was not projected to be a 2nd round pick.
From where I'm reading, they could pay him more.

thanks for finding that Motes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Players that fell out of the first round wouldn't be able to do that because they're almost all drafted; that is, they don't go undrafted like Collins did. If a player is drafted by a team in a round lower than what the player wants, they are still that team's property. If that player refuses to sign with the team that drafted them, I'm pretty sure they have to sit out a year and then be drafted again which wouldn't help them because they'd almost assuredly be drafted even lower, if not at all.

The reason this is different is because no one drafted him. He's free to go where he wants for *whatever*(this is where I'm fuzzy) contract he wants. The part I'm not sure about is the size/type of contract that is allowed to be given to UDFA's. There might be a limit to the money amount and/or they may not be able to put contingencies clauses in it.
And how many players would be drafted if they said they would not sign if they fell out of the first round? While the player's draft stock would no doubt fall after a year out of the league, how does that help the team that might want to draft him knowing he wouldn't sign with them? Are you as a GM going to waste a 2nd round pick on a guy who says he won't sign? You just got nothing for that pick.

The CBA still has rookie limits - be it UDFA or drafted so he couldn't sign for whatever - he could sign for UP TO whatever the CBA allows.

iced

If memory serves, the bonuses allotted for all UDFA's comes from a pool - I wanna say it was like $500k but not sure, feel confident its under $1 million.

and that's it - UDFA's play generally for the league minimum for the first year - then I think the next 2 years he'd be a RFA, so then he'd go through that process

V3

Hall of Fame
And how many players would be drafted if they said they would not sign if they fell out of the first round? While the player's draft stock would no doubt fall after a year out of the league, how does that help the team that might want to draft him knowing he wouldn't sign with them? Are you as a GM going to waste a 2nd round pick on a guy who says he won't sign? You just got nothing for that pick.

The CBA still has rookie limits - be it UDFA or drafted so he couldn't sign for whatever - he could sign for UP TO whatever the CBA allows.
The CBA limit(just learned about it thanks to this thread) makes this all moot, but if they didn't have it, that player would be screwed if they said they wouldn't sign with any teams after the 1st. Like you said, teams would still be reluctant to draft the kid the following year because of the risk that he wouldn't sign(among other reasons). That's a big reason why I said they'd end up going even lower or not at all. That's why everyone that fell out of the first round wouldn't be doing it.

But like I said, it's a moot point due to the CBA rules.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He put out a statement later saying that he would sign with whomever drafted him.

It's very important to understand that silence is NOT a statement indicating guilt or innocence.

Justice is a relatively slow process these days and as others have noted, it's critically important to understand Miranda... ANYTHING a person says can and will be used against you. Now, he hasn't been charged or anything, but his lawyer will be talking to him even if he's totally innocent and even if the baby weren't his as if he were totally guilty. WHY? Because he has to protect the interests of his client. He has to defend his client.

Now, Collins took the lie detector. I think that was a mistake because they really aren't lie detectors as stress detectors administered by A-holes and for a young man about to be drafted, I'm very surprised he passed. But he did. Doesn't make him innocent. Doesn't make him guilty.

I think every team will wait until they have more info and then they will evaluate him once he's cleared or it's clear that he will be cleared (sometimes due to procedure, the outcome can be delayed even when everyone knows).

If he's cleared, I'd love for the Rams to pursue him.

Of course, we all hope the killer is brought to justice. For everyone's sake, I hope he had nothing to do with it. I dunno why it makes it any better that it's someone else, but it does, even if only a little.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
He put out a statement later saying that he would sign with whomever drafted him.

It's very important to understand that silence is NOT a statement indicating guilt or innocence.

Justice is a relatively slow process these days and as others have noted, it's critically important to understand Miranda... ANYTHING a person says can and will be used against you. Now, he hasn't been charged or anything, but his lawyer will be talking to him even if he's totally innocent and even if the baby weren't his as if he were totally guilty. WHY? Because he has to protect the interests of his client. He has to defend his client.

Now, Collins took the lie detector. I think that was a mistake because they really aren't lie detectors as stress detectors administered by A-holes and for a young man about to be drafted, I'm very surprised he passed. But he did. Doesn't make him innocent. Doesn't make him guilty.

I think every team will wait until they have more info and then they will evaluate him once he's cleared or it's clear that he will be cleared (sometimes due to procedure, the outcome can be delayed even when everyone knows).

If he's cleared, I'd love for the Rams to pursue him.

Of course, we all hope the killer is brought to justice. For everyone's sake, I hope he had nothing to do with it. I dunno why it makes it any better that it's someone else, but it does, even if only a little.
Exactly, if he's cleared idk why anyone wouldn't want to give this kid a shot. First round pick for chump change at OL. If he is guilty then he is the biggest scum of the earth and deserves to rot in prison but I'll reserve my judgment until the police do their job.