What Giants Fans Are Saying Before And After The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

James Otto

Starter
Yet since the home team is normally given like a 3 point edge, we are really talking about a TD of expectation that the Rams win....I think?

It's currently -3.5 Rams. We'd be -9.5 at home, since you take 3 away from the Giants and give 3 to the Rams.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame

I haven't seen the rams beat the giants since i started watching the nfl 30 years ago. Let's not count our chickens yet.

Well 30 years ago, Watched the Rams dominate them in 1988, then in 1989 twice. Saw them lose in 1990, but then beat 'em in 1991. Then saw a Rams win in 1997, then from 1999-2001. Though it doesn't matter come game time obviously. I just don't get the don't count your chickens part because you never saw them win. Plus I don't know that anyone is counting anything because the Rams can't take them lightly.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I remember Ellard had a punt return TD in that game as well. Talk about great soecial teams. That era they were pretty damn good. Too bad the offense was one dimensional.... Jeff Kemp 84' Dieter Brock 85' Steve Bartkowski/ Dills 86' (pre Everett deal). Yuck!!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/11...ity-inside-outside-locker-room-jackrabbit-drc

Giants’ coach Ben McAdoo losing credibility inside, outside locker room
by Ed Valentine

865174686.0.jpg

Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images

For a guy who GM Jerry Reese says is “smarter than all of us” McAdoo appears to have missed the lesson on maintaining credibility.

It’s apparent through the words of Eli Apple about the “culture” of the locker room and the disrespect shown to McAdoo by and ultimate suspensions of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Janoris Jenkins that at least certain segments of the Giants’ locker room have no use for their head coach.

Though it’s really a small, and insignificant to some, part of the story it’s also obvious that McAdoo has no friends in a media that has turned on him with a vengeance. See here and here for examples. Which is no wonder. I have been in enough McAdoo press conference to know he generally treats media members like ants to be squashed rather than people with a job to do.

Anyway, when the Jenkins suspension was announced Tuesday afternoon I wrote that “It’s difficult at this point to argue that McAdoo has control of the locker room.”

I reached out to a number of people on Tuesday night and got agreement with that viewpoint, with one telling me “It's not a 100 percent lock, but hard to find another more plausible angle on it.”

The Giants right now have far bigger problems than losing games. They are broken, from the top down.

The head coach has no credibility outside the locker room and, apparently, not enough inside of it.

There are nine games to go, and it’s hard to see how things get any better the rest of the way. It is also increasingly difficult to see how McAdoo survives and gets a third season as head coach.
--------
We need a rebuild. New GM, new coach, new players. Keep our top young guys, everyone else is expendable as far as I’m concerned
---------
We don't need a rebuild, there's alot of talent on this team
Lots of pro-bowlers and good players on this roster. Reese failed to address the weaknesses of this team (Offensive line and Linebackers that can cover TEs and RBs). Its the same crap for the past 6 years. Fix those, and this team can be a winner again.
---------
This team has problems, the D-line really isn’t one of them. I’d argue there’s more talent at depth that’s being wasted, hurting the starters. That’s on the coaching.

This is one of the youngest rosters in the league, and there’s solid talent at almost every position.
----------
The Giants are 27th in sacks per game
--------
This team desperately needs legit Linebackers. The group they have now is not terrible, but also not a group that can take advantage of the D line in front of them. Teams have no respect for the LB group and we see week after week of huge performances by TEs and by RBs when they get around or through the DLine.
--------
Its great to say we need a full rebuild but we are not the Browns this won’t be a 5 season thing. The Eagles and Rams have turned it around pretty quickly with new regimes keeping most of the core so what makes you say the pieces who won 11 games last year can’t repeat with a new regime and some new pieces?
--------
"Next regime should be able to choose their players"

Just look at the past Rams offseason, no real change in roster other than Whitworth and didn’t even have a first round pick and the new coaching took the talent they had from 4-12 to 5-2. Tearing a roster apart and taking on a ton of dead money does not work in the NFL. This isn’t the NBA where you just rip apart a roster and go sign 3 big names the next year – there are 53 spots you have to fill, you work with what talent you have and adjust over time.
---------
I’m going to keep harping about this until people (hopefully) get it. The Rams were arguably the WORST offense last season. Gurley even criticized the scheme and said they ran a high school offense last year. James Kratch from NJ.com continually bashes Jerry Reese for not signing Andrew Whitworth. Many fans regurgitate the same narrative as well.

Instead of digging deeper, they assume Andrew Whitworth is the only reason why the Rams are a top offense. Is he part of the reason? Of course. But, why the sudden surge to the top of the NFL ? Coaching. The Rams have an innovative, young coach who plays to his players strengths. They had the talent, they just weren’t being used properly under Fisher.

I would have to say the Giants are a more talented team than the Rams, why do we need to blow up a talented roster just because our coaching staff can’t put our players in the best position to win. Develop our young talented team and play to our strengths. How can we do this ? That’s a more challenging question. -------------
The Rams/Jets/Bills are all better than us at the moment...
---------
Love the guy or hate him.

Mcadoo would have survived this season with a really bad losing record. The owners wouldn’t fire him so quickly on that ground alone.

Losing the lockeroom, giving the image of the organization to being that of a circus and causing Met Life stadium to be packed with opposing team fans in our biggest rivalry homes games in addition to a losing season will get you fired.

I frankly don’t see any other choice at this point except firing him unless we literally run the table.
----------
I have given up on the coach.

We are talking about Jenkins here. He didn`t pull this on the Rams and we`re talking about Jeff Fisher. That guy is awful. This should show you what kind of shape the team is in right now. Purge!

Typical fan post bull crap

Our coach sucks

Blah blah blah

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I know one guy who won't be complacent or over confident and that is Coach Mac. He played the Giants twice a year, every year, when he was in Washington so he knows that team very well. Here's hoping he can get the Rams laser-focused on playing a team that is backed in a corner and will come out desperate for a win. Especially a win at home.
The Rams need to realize that the Giants are really better than their 1 and 6 record would seem to indicate and that if we let down at all it will cost us big time.

Besides if we are going to have any playoff aspirations we need to play like a playoff caliber team.

~ArkyRamsFan~

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I agree with you. Same goes for SF but IMO the Niners are a better team than NY right now.

I expect a little rust from our guys and maybe some sloppy play but the Giants will have to devise a monumental 60 minute gameplan to get a win. I will say this, if the Rams play a turnover-free game on offense the NY football Giants have no chance.

Thats the key for the rest of the season IMO, look after the ball in hand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=559301

Wednesday Media Transcript: QB Eli Manning

Q: What do you see from the Rams defensively?

A: They’re a talented team. They got a good front seven, got a lot of speed. Their corners play well. They do a good job of getting to the quarterback, good job stopping the run. So, we got to be sound up front, know our assignments. They got some good players and we have to win on time in our receivers. But, play a good bit of man and it still give you some opportunities to make some plays.

Q: As one of the leaders, what’s your reaction to some of the stuff that has gone on this year in terms of discipline?

A: I mean, it happens, you know. We got to handle our business. We got to make sure we’re doing things right and I think everybody knows the reasoning for why they’re occurring and we got to, obviously, go about our business and then when guys come back, you don’t think about it and you keep going.

Q: Have you seen this many guys getting disciplined this often in the past?

A: I don’t think we think much about it. Hey, we got to play a game. We got to go. Guys understand there’s rules. You have to follow them and we have to handle our business.

Q: Do you understand the reasoning for why this is happening and what do you think is the reason?

A: There’s been two of them. Both of them had their reasons. I’m sure coach (Ben McAdoo) talked to you about those things and, hey, our job is to play the game. Go out there. Be here for practice. Be here for everything we’re supposed to be doing and go out there and compete.

Q: A couple of your former teammates have said it’s up to you guys to play for each other. Do you sense that that’s been missing this year?

A: No. I think guys are competing and guys are playing their tails off. We’ve lost some close games. We’ve lost some. We’ve had some things not go our way, so we’re just trying to figure out how we’re going to be able to hang in there, keep games close and win some tight football games. Guys are playing for each other. Guys are doing everything they’ve been asked to do and we just have to do a little bit better.

Q: Coming off the bye week, are you able to start fresh offensively?

A: I think it’s just a time to, hey, get a little rest, understand the circumstances we’re going through, but understand what we have, be excited about our opportunities to go out there and compete every week and excited about just figuring out what guys do well, how can we put them in a position to do the things they do well so we can be successful as a team and as an offense.

Q: How disappointing is it for you that two of the veteran guys got suspended?

A: Hey, you know, still it’s about the team. It’s about everybody coming together. The guys that are here this week. We got a lot of guys who are paid to play and we’re going to go out there and go play and go find a way to get a win.

Q: What do you say about the perception that it’s a lack of respect towards Ben McAdoo?

A: No. I don’t think that’s the case. I don’t think it’s a deal on purpose trying to break rules or trying to do anything. I think it’s just some unfortunate events.

Q: Do you think this is happening because of the record?

A: I don’t think so. I think it’s just been a couple cases of stuff gone wrong and you’re put in a position that you have to discipline them.

Q: When you say “stuff gone wrong” what do you mean? It’s significant enough that guys have been suspended.

A: Well, you have to ask the guys or coach (Ben) McAdoo or ask the guys what exactly went wrong. I don’t know the full story of everything.

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=559297

Wednesday Media Transcript: CB Eli Apple

Q: How do you stop (Todd) Gurley and (Jared) Goff?

A: Well, with Gurley, you got to make sure you set the edge, that’s always the first thing. He gets out to the edge really well. With Goff, it’s about getting pressure in his face and making plays on the ball.

Q: Do you think that your teammates still give a damn?

A: Nah, I think we do. I think we go out there and we’re giving it our all. We have fun at practice and we are just trying to get better each day. Whoever is out there, we’re just trying to work and get better.

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=559295

Wednesday Media Transcript: Head Coach Ben McAdoo

Opening Statement: Great opportunity to face the red-hot Rams. They’re 4-0 away from LA this season and they’re 5-2 coming off a bye. They have the NFC’s top-scoring offense, eight different starters from the unit we saw last year in London. They’re balanced – 30-plus rushes per ball game. (Todd) Gurley is a complete back. He has size. He has speed. He has power and vision.

(Jared) Goff is gaining confidence heading into his 15th NFL start. He has a variety of playmakers he can distribute the ball to in (Tavon) Austin, (Sammy) Watkins, (Robert) Woods and (Cooper) Kupp. They have two young, athletic tight ends – (Tyler) Higbee and (Gerald) Everett and a rebuilt offensive line with three new starters.

Defensively, their transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 under Wade Phillips. They have an aggressive, attacking style and they have a lot of speed in all three levels of the defense. They returned 7 of 11 starters from last season and their front is highly disruptive with (Aaron) Donald, (Michael) Brockers and (Robert) Quinn. (Alec) Ogletree and (Mark) Barron are fast, instinctive players and they rarely come off the field.

Their secondary is very good in man coverage and they have three strong corners. (Trumaine) Johnson, (Kayvon) Webster and (Nickell) Robey-Coleman. (Lamarcus) Joyner and (John) Johnson are also versatile playmaking safeties for them on the back end.

Special teams – facing their special teams unit is always a challenge. They’re very creative. (Johnny) Hekker can throw like a quarterback. (Greg) Zuerlein is among the league-leading scorers and they have three returners that can all put a lump in your throat in the return game. With that, we’ll open it up.

Q: What do you make of having to suspend two guys in a three-week span?

A: That’s not something that going into the season I’d ever thought I’d have to do. But the decision was made and it had to be done.

Q: Why do you think it’s getting to this point?

A: We like to handle all of our discipline in-house as much as possible and I felt that in these two cases it wasn’t possible.

Q: How is this reflective of the head coach with the suspension issues?

A: Well, I mean, it’s my responsibility to take action and when you have discipline that needs to be taken care of, you have to handle it. If you don’t handle it, that’s a poor reflection. I think for the best of the program, the decision had to be made.

Q: Do you think this hurts your credibility at all that you didn’t tell the truth on Monday?

A: Again, until I have all the facts, I need to protect the players.

Q: You said CB Eli Apple and RB Paul Perkins were excused on Monday. Had you heard from them at that point?

A: I had had communication with Paul and Eli at that point, yes.

Q: Were those travel-related issues?

A: Travel related for Eli and Perkins. Yes.

Q: What was CB Janoris Jenkins reason for not being here Monday?

A: I’m going to leave the personal conversations personal.

Q: Are travel-related issues an excuse?

A: The players had five days off. I communicated to the players in our team meeting today – I didn’t have to give them five days off. I chose to give the players five days off because I felt we needed to get away from it. That’s important at this time of year at the midpoint and the bye week. With that, I expected all the players to be here ready to go Monday morning. No excuses.

Q: Is it safe to say that the players will be punished, even those who called you?

A: We’ll handle all of those in-house unless we can’t.

Q: If there are no excuses, why were CB Eli Apple and RB Paul Perkins not suspended?

A: There was communication prior to the fact.

Q: A lot of these guys are in the defensive back room. Is there a common thread there and is there something going on in that room that concerns you?

A: No.

Q: What would you say about the perception that you’re losing the locker room?

A: I’m not concerned about perception. I’m concerned about reality. To turn your cheek to something that needs to be handled for disciplinary reasons because you’re worried about perception isn’t a smart thing to do. So I’m not concerned about perception.

Q: Do you sense that the guys are still playing for each other and that they’re showing enough that they care about playing for the guys around them?

A: Yeah. I mean, all you had to do was watch our practice today. We had a spirited practice. Guys were flying around. We got better out here today and, you know, when Janoris gets back, we’ll welcome him back with open arms. There’ll be no grudges and he’s one of us. He’s one of our teammates.

Q: Is this a one week suspension for CB Janoris Jenkins?

A: It’s indefinite.

Q: What would be your argument for why you haven’t lost the defensive back room?

A: Just watching practice today. We had a good day of practice. We got better here at practice today and that’s what I base it on.

Q: Do you feel that what CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie did and what CB Janoris Jenkins did as far as not showing up and not respecting your rules…

A: Isolated incidents.

Q: Do you think some of this is a product of losing?

A: I feel that when things aren’t going the way you want them to from a record standpoint, things get blown out of proportion at times. But, again, we’re getting ready to play a ball game this week. Let’s talk about the ball game.

Q: You said that when a team faces adversity a man learns about himself. Have you learned some things about your team in the past few weeks that disturb you?

A: Yeah, I don’t think we blink. I don’t think we flinch. We show up. We had a good practice today and that’s encouraging.

Q: You suspended your top cornerback and I’m sure that’s not an easy decision. What does that do to the rest of the guys in the locker room heading into the game without a primary player?

A: It provides opportunity to the other players in the locker room and we have to go in with the players that we have.

Q: Did you have to talk to your entire team about this?

A: I addressed it with the team this morning.

Q: Would you like to share your message?

A: Pretty much what I told you. The standards are the standards. The win-loss record doesn’t change it. Your feelings don’t change it. Travel plans don’t change it. The standards are the standards and they’re going to stay high and we’re going to hold each other accountable.

Q: Do you regret not punishing some players for incidents last year or early this year the way that you’re now punishing these guys?

A: No.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Looking at that team Dave....they still have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. We should win...but it is a road game...early in the morning out here....going east has always been a lil tough on the Rams....and those 10am games...I see a defensive battle....unless McVay....AND GOFF...go all 2017 on their asses...
The Rams are " Road Warrior's" Winning 4 games on the road, scoring an average of 34 points in those games, and giving up an average of 21.5 per, IF they just do there average work, we Kick A$$! IF we go "All 2017" on there A$$'s, you'll get that "55-0" shut-out you talked about!!(y):D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Q: Is this a one week suspension for CB Janoris Jenkins?

A: It’s indefinite.
So.... He could play Sunday?

I know for a fact that OBJ has been late numerous times and doesnt get the same treatment.
The Giants are a mess.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I know for a fact that OBJ has been late numerous times and doesnt get the same treatment.
The Giants are a mess.
Sound familiar?

And we know, from first hand experience, how that behavior goes...

Bye McAdoo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

The Giants are a mess.
The way I understand it, Jenkins is Out for this game and after that it's " indefinite". And I'm sure they treat WR's Like OBJ differently than DB's.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way I understand it, Jenkins is Out for this game and after that it's " indefinite". And I'm sure they treat WR's Like OBJ differently than DB's.
You cant be a hardazz on some players, and go easy on others. It just doesnt work.
Coughlin got away with it to extent, because he had a history. But even he got let go.
We'll see how this plays out

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You cant be a hardazz on some players, and go easy on others. It just doesnt work.
Coughlin got away with it to extent, because he had a history. But even he got let go.
We'll see how this plays out
I completely agree!! But, as you know, Life aint always fare!(y);)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/11...er-andrew-whitworth-keeps-beating-father-time

Giants vs. Rams: “Outlier” Andrew Whitworth keeps beating Father Time

Has anyone figured out why Whitworth would prefer to sign here instead of with the Rams. It seems to me that the situation was better overall in LA, from the running game (which linemen love) to the climate to the second largest media market in the country (after mean New York).
-----------
I know 13 million reasons why he signed in LA.
Whoever offers the most gets the player.
---------
That would've meant getting into a bidding war for a 35 year old player
And if that was the case, I’m glad we didn’t bite.

Also, your premise isn’t always the case.
--------
I’m genuinely curious if Whitworth has been asked by the media about why he chose LA. Veteran players with that much success earn the right to chose where they are going to move their family, what scheme they want to play in, etc. etc. etc.

I’m not saying he wouldn’t have preferred the Giants. We just don’t know. The fact that so many fans, bloggers, etc. persistently assume it’s a given that he would have wanted to sign here is tiring and presumptuous.

I mean, he signed with the Rams 7 months ago and we’re still talking about it. If one of my friends was still talking about the girl that got away 7 months later I’d have to smack some sense into him, lol.
--------
I looked it up a while back..

Here is a few things he said about leaving the Bengals.

"I started to really open my eyes to man, what a challenge, and a new place, that would be something that invigorates me and makes me want to push even harder and do even more, find some other part of me that I don’t know exists that I can challenge myself to become.

And that’s what really intrigued me about the move. And then when I realized I was open to moving, and moving on to a new challenge, I really wanted to be away from Cincinnati’s situation. I wasn’t as keen on going somewhere where’d I play Cincinnati and be around it. I wanted to go far away and kind of have a fresh start."

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/14/14916488/andrew-whitworth-leaving-bengals-competitive-offer

Cincy and New York are relatively close to each other. You can interpret it how you want too, but you can’t deny LA is as far away as you can get from Cincy lol.
---------
Duane Brown, Ricky Wagner, Kevin Zeitler, TJ Lang, Russell Okung, Riley Reiff, Kelvin Beachum, Mike Remmers, Ty Nsehke, Josh Sitton, Donald Penn, Kelechi Osemele, Joe Barksdale, etc. etc.
Even beyond Whitworth, there were plenty of guys who could have helped along the OL. I’ve heard plenty of "no one better than we have" or "dry OL markets" excuses the last few years, but frankly it’s pretty embarrassing that the front office didn’t land any of these guys when they had the opportunity.
--------
Like we saw with iron man Joe Thomas
Father time is undefeated.

There is a well aged bottle of scotch between Whitworth and Goff, and I think it goes a long way in Goff’s development, but there is a cliff somewhere in the near future.

Give their GM credit though, after this year his contract really isn’t detrimental in terms of dead money if he does fall of that cliff. His 4.1M dead in 2018 isn’t exactly going to burn down the franchise.
---------
Unfortunately, you don’t actually get to GM with hindsight

During the offseason, the armchair-GM instant fix for the o-line was Joe Thomas, as much as it was Andre Whitworth. Mysteriously, no one is banging the drum for the former now, only the latter. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Signing a 36-year old is statistically risky. Successful or not, Andre Whitworth isn’t going to change that general calculus. And guess what? There is still half a season to go. If Whitworth gets’s injured in, say, two weeks, I’ll look forward to the article praising Reese for not falling for this particular offseason temptation. Say, that reminds me… where was that article praising not offering a 2nd round pick for Thomas?
---------
It's a bit nauseating
that this is a feature article on a NY Giants blog. But I think it has as much to do with the hindsight about Whitworth as it does with McVay’s interview. He’s open, thoughtful and descriptive. The exact opposite of McAdoo. If only Mara had had the foresight to hire McVay instead!
---------
There will always be an outlier or 2 like whitworth. If most of us are honest, there had to be a little recognition in the back of the mind that BMs signing could turn out negatively, the same can be applied to AW. Also, the Rams selected 4 linemen after Gurley in that particular draft. It’s a bit of an indictment on the GM that he had to go after a FA tackle.
--------
And let's be honest, Andrew Whitworth doesn't make this team a playoff contender.
No one player would.
---------
Butterfly effect
Just playing devil’s advocate here, but the season would have played out differently from the start, and the play where Beckham broke his ankle would not have happened. In a parallel universe where we signed Whitworth, Beckham may have not even been injured during the preseason and is healthy for the entire season, OR he could have suffered a much more gruesome injury and be out for the entire season and beyond. Everything is speculation now with what-could-have-been.
---------
This article doesn't mention that the OL has been, statistically, middle of the pack.
The Giants OL is EIGHT (8) spots better at pass-blocking efficiency than the Rams per PFF, and is firmly average, ranking at #14 overall as of early October. They also showed they can run the ball when given a shot (@Denver), even in spite of a horrible offensive game-planner and adjustment maker in BM.

The reality is that Andrew Whitworth wouldn’t be transforming this from a 1-6 team to a playoff contender.
-----------
We can't run the ball
Until I see a running game this o line is hot trash.

Of course to be fair that would mean we’d have the try to run.
-----------
I have been screaming this for weeks

Is our Oline good? No, absolutely not. Are they horrible (as a lot of folks would like to believe)? Once again the answer is no. There are a lot of reasons that the team has lost games. Defensive regression and forgetting how to tackle, horrible special teams play, key injuries, sub par quarterback play, and yes, offensive line play.

Out of the reasons we have lost though, I think Oline play ranks relatively far down the list. I think the number one reason was just strength of schedule combined with not being mentally prepared for the start of the season. People have to point to the line though, because it and linebacker are the only spots where we don’t have obviously elite talent. The JR hate is strong with this bunch.
----------
Whitworth is the Tom Brady of Left Tackles. History tells us he should not still performing like this or playing at his age.
---------
Relevant numbers
Whitworth, in his 36th year is plating his 12th season
Joe Staley, in his 33rd year, is playing his 11th season
Joe Thomas, in his 33rd year, was playing his 11th season
Flozell Adams made it to 13 seasons by switching to RT and signing with the Steelers

Like used cars, it’s the mileage, not the model year.

Whitworth’s contract is in essence a 2 year deal with a reasonably priced second year and a team option $10.75 M third year. He probably makes two seasons, but should have a shot for 2019. Don’t think any tackles play 200 games.

A55VA6

Legend
Well... we better win this game with all their problems right now. And that 6-2 record would be looking niiicee.