What do you think about bandwagon fans?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I became a Rams fan during the greatest show on turf days. I was like 9. Been a fan through the entire drought that followed.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Touchy (yet interesting) subject with different opinons.

It's human nature to want to side with a winner. In my case I never felt inclined to jump on the wagon of a team that just won it all.

For anyone who jumps on my team's wagon I cut them slack. The more the merrier, and the more to talk with. Just know your stuff is all I'm saying or the conversation is over! :LOL:

For the NFL I didn't know who won the last Super Bowl (Steelers) when I picked the Rams. When I first got on board the Rams' wagon it was deep in the 1975 playoffs and I thought the Rams' uniforms were the coolest. Didn't help them against Dallas though, but there I was in 1976 stuck to them like glue for the full season.

Same with the Lakers, I got on the bandwagon because I was enamored with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's talents, though they got swept by the Blazers in 1977. My dad hated the Celtics so I wasn't about to follow them (they won it all in 1976). I was back the following years watching (listening) to the Lakers lose in the playoffs to the Sonics with essentially a "one-man team." Then Magic got on board and the rest is history. Right place, right time there.

With the Dodgers, I just picked another LA team, though I was living in Hawaii. I wasn't about to jump on the Reds, who had just won the series the year before. I saw the Dodgers reg season record in early 1977 and thought hmmm, let's see what these guys got. Then I watched them lose a few heartbreaking series to the Yankees. Stopped following during the 1994 players strike. Never was a big baseball fan anyway. But I hated the Giants because whiner fans liked 'em!

When I think bandwagon the whiner fans immediately come to mind. Because they were no where to be heard from until 1981. Then they began to act cocky like they had "always been up there." And that started an intense dislike. Do some of the old timers remember if the whiner fans were as arrogant in the Brodie years?

So even though it's human nature to rub up againt a team that won a title, I never rolled that way. I respect the fans who started with nothing rather than the "trophy groupies." Ask a whiner fan when they started, most of the time they'll say the 80's... and I just laugh.

dang

Legend
Even the most loyal diehard fan needs something to keep their interest during long droughts. As a diehard Rams fan since 1972 I kept interest by rooting for my favorite AFC team - the Buffalo Bills - to carry on any year the Rams were out of it by mid season.

Then I added fantasy football in the late 90s so I would have vested interest throughout the year. Both choices were secondary to rooting for the Rams year in and year out.

While it has been tough being a Rams fan - when there is success it is that much sweeter. There is no way a band wagoner has such a phenomenal return on investment when the Rams succeed. So they are the ones missing out on the best experience.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have zero issue with bandwagon fan
They serve a purpose like zombie hoardes
tumblr_li5xrqMJsu1qdx2kt.gif

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I'll take all the rams fans we can get. But if you are repping our team you better do some homework and know about the players and the history.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Before last season I never got much attention from wearing my Rams gear, but now that we're winning it feels weird. Im not used to winning, let alone having the word "Rams" and "super bowl" in the same sentence. So i always feel like people perceive me as a bandwagoner, even though ive been a fan since i was born. Maybe its just me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don’t really mind them.

That’s okay, in my book. Not everyone needs to be a diehard.

But to those just now taking an interest because the Rams started winning...I say, pull up a chair...there’s always room for more people at the table.

Those types of fans don't bother me, and I don't know why it would bother anyone, casual fans are part of sports.

Winning is one of many.

Winning is THE MAIN reason fans show up and teams get nationally televised games.

Casual fans are what fill the stadium and I think no matter how big a city is you can't sell out with just "diehard fans". I don't think there are enough of them. And even in the big metro areas like NY, LA, MIA, and some others there are huge numbers of people from other areas or even other countries and football isn't a big deal to them. There aren't enough die hard fans to fill some of these giant stadiums. When a team is good, and winning and getting a lot of attention from the media the casual fan shows up because it's an "event", to them it's like going to a concert or going to see Cirque du Soliel. It's fun for them, and that's great.

Keep in mind.........fans from Oakland were paying up to $100,000 each for court-side seats during the Finals game 7 two years ago to see the Warriors. Some people paid 45K per seat during that series and are probably going to do it this year, or more. When that franchise was winning about 20 games a year they probably weren't even selling that much in total tickets per game!

Winning matters. I remember going to Cavs games to see teams that were coming to town and seeing about double the amount of empty seats as full seats and about half of the luxury suites were dark/empty. Try getting a ticket now. I was in that arena one time, in a suite that was given to me for a game for nothing with several friends and co-workers. You could easily see the entire arena and it was probably 3/4 empty.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Bandwagoners are ok with me.

*Except if I see someone flying a Ram car flag with a Duck flag, I'll probably throw up a little. Maybe this is a local thing. I mean, you don't paint flames on a Mercedes, and Duck flags shouldn't be flown from anything except maybe a trash truck.

Yeah, all Duck fans who want to be Rams bandwagoners should go follow the San Marcos Sparkies. Everyone else is ok.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Before last season I never got much attention from wearing my Rams gear, but now that we're winning it feels weird. Im not used to winning, let alone having the word "Rams" and "super bowl" in the same sentence. So i always feel like people perceive me as a bandwagoner, even though ive been a fan since i was born. Maybe its just me.

I feel the same way. During the GSOT years my wife and I were out somewhere and a few rams fans came up to talk to us. Later she asked me why I am so defensive when talking about the Rams. I asked what she is talking about. She pointed out that every time someone asked me if I was a Rams fan I would always say "yes but I have been for 30 years".

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have no problem with them. It’s not fair to expect everyone to be a crazy as us and watch and root for a team that is 2-13 lol. Plus my mom and wife are bandwagon Ram fans.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't care for them but every team needs them to fill stadiums. As long as they don't act like they know the team better than anybody else they can stick around for all I care.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I understand why some of you don't care for bandwagon fans. But keep in mind that some hardcore fans were once bandwagon fans themselves. So I say put up with the bandwagon fans, for some of them will one day become hardcore fans, and maybe you will be welcoming them on ROD. While the rest give us home games on TV, and bring excitement to our stadium.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame

Haha this exactly. Sometimes, when I wear my gear when I’m out and about, I wonder if strangers perceive me as a bandwagon fan just because the Rams are good now. It definitely feels weird.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In general, I hate bandwagon fans, but the type of bandwagon fans that LA may produce (stars), could help the Rams National/International appeal. I believe it is always an advantage to be a league and media darling.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Don't mind them, they'll do a decent job keeping opposing road fans away from our stadium.

The Ramowl

Starter

This is one of my anxieties, but I hope my Bradford jersey kinda solves that

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Haha this exactly. Sometimes, when I wear my gear when I’m out and about, I wonder if strangers perceive me as a bandwagon fan just because the Rams are good now. It definitely feels weird.
That's why I Rock a Shane Conlan jersey.