Well, it’s mercifully over...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I have no idea how you evaluate a player. I rewatched everything game three times that year as I do all games. Allen missed far too many blocks. He was a rookie yes, but I watched him in the Big Ten and was surprised he was chosen so high. I saw the same problems in college.

The first three games of 2019 the Rams opponents did not copy the single high safety/6 man defensive front, Fangio defense. The pressure was not as heavy. The offense struggled as soon as

It’s very clear that once Edwards came in the offensive line improved. We saw that happen twice. Both in 2019 and 2020 but you still think Noteboom was a good guard?

Back to Allen the Oline play improved once Blythe replaced him as well. It was easy to see. Blythe played better than Allen. Blythe who the Rams weren’t concerned with retaining.

I’m sure I won’t change your mind because you’ve already made yours up it seems. We only have time to tell the story. Want to bet some money on how Allen’s career goes from here on out?

I don't pretend to be an "evaluator". I watched the games and focused entirely on Allen. He did nothing to hinder the offense. How do you square the fact with Noteboom and Allen starting the offense averaged 28 PPG but they sucked?

To your point "it's very clear that once Edwards came in the offensive line improved", I disagree. He improved, as did Corbett and Evans the last 5 games of the season. The first 5 Edwards played the Rams had 408 rushing yards on 128 carries (3.1) after a 4.3 average in the first 5 games with Noteboom and Allen. As far as high safety/6 man front what teams employed that against the Rams in 2019?

I said Noteboom is not a guard, he's a tackle and last year he didn't really make anybody miss Whitworth. IIRC, most of Ramsnation blamed Goff for the Jets loss, the Seattle loss and the SF loss (I blamed McVay for that last one). So we've seen him for 5 and 1/2 games at LG and 7 and 1/2 games at LT. Clearly he's a better tackle.

The way I've read it on another site is according the Lindsay Thiery, Corbett is the front runner for C. As far as Noteboom goes, we may need him at some point this year. Whit is turning 40 in December and he's coming off a year when he missed half the games.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't pretend to be an "evaluator". I watched the games and focused entirely on Allen. He did nothing to hinder the offense. How do you square the fact with Noteboom and Allen starting the offense averaged 28 PPG but they sucked?

To your point "it's very clear that once Edwards came in the offensive line improved", I disagree. He improved, as did Corbett and Evans the last 5 games of the season. The first 5 Edwards played the Rams had 408 rushing yards on 128 carries (3.1) after a 4.3 average in the first 5 games with Noteboom and Allen. As far as high safety/6 man front what teams employed that against the Rams in 2019?

I said Noteboom is not a guard, he's a tackle and last year he didn't really make anybody miss Whitworth. IIRC, most of Ramsnation blamed Goff for the Jets loss, the Seattle loss and the SF loss (I blamed McVay for that last one). So we've seen him for 5 and 1/2 games at LG and 7 and 1/2 games at LT. Clearly he's a better tackle.

The way I've read it on another site is according the Lindsay Thiery, Corbett is the front runner for C. As far as Noteboom goes, we may need him at some point this year. Whit is turning 40 in December and he's coming off a year when he missed half the games.
I didn’t know Allen and Noteboom scored points.

All kidding aside It’s very possible those points were scored despite their poor play. Maybe by running to the right side more. Maybe it was because they played a bunch of defenses early on that weren’t up to the task of defeating McVay’s offense. The misdirection, play action and good receivers can make up for poor run blocking. Same with bootlegs.

You act as if I’m the only person that thinks that Allen played poorly. I’d say it’s a predominant point of view on this forum.

I didn’t say to get rid of Noteboom btw. He’s a good backup at Tackle. But he’s still not good enough for me to think he’d be a great option to start at OLT. His pass blocking is alright but he’s still not a strong nor accurate run blocker. I’d rather the Tams be able to run to both sides of the offensive line, especially since the Rams run wide often.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

All kidding aside It’s very possible those points were scored despite their poor play. Maybe by running to the right side more. Maybe it was because they played a bunch of defenses early on that weren’t up to the task of defeating McVay’s offense. The misdirection, play action and good receivers can make up for poor run blocking. Same with bootlegs.

You act as if I’m the only person that thinks that Allen played poorly. I’d say it’s a predominant point of view on this forum.

I didn’t say to get rid of Noteboom btw. He’s a good backup at Tackle. But he’s still not good enough for me to think he’d be a great option to start at OLT. His pass blocking is alright but he’s still not a strong nor accurate run blocker. I’d rather the Tams be able to run to both sides of the offensive line, especially since the Rams run wide often.
They were 2nd yr players and first time starters, who were also playing with other 2nd yr players like Demby... And they were all thrown in there at about the same time, early that season. Yet we are going to act like they will not improve, especially Allen.

We have already seen Noteboom improve, as he stepped in for Whit and performed well at his natural position.

Not saying Allen will do the same, but also not saying he won't be better and become a quality reserve if Corbett is named starting center due to his better size.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Maybe your right? I dunno. Maybe they scored all those points despite their poor play and maybe they went into the tank for the next 5 games despite stellar play? I tend to think it is what it is. And I don't "act" anyway. You responded directly to my post and I answered. I even said, "I don't see what MOST Ram fans see in Brian Allen", so clearly I admitted I was in the minority. Hey, we'll see what happens but apparently management doesn't see it the same way "most" Ram fans do or there wouldn't be all this sky is falling banter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Allen's big problem was his physicality or lack thereof. He got outmatched at times and usually in pass sets. I actually thought he was pretty good at pulling which is probably why the Rams liked him. Kromes really seemed to want guys with mobility but we saw a continued theme with some of them like Boom and Demby where they simply weren't strong enough to do the job.

Edwards was a bit of a revelation in all that I think. The fact that Kromes tried to start Boom over him is ridiculous. I'm sure his rationale was the mobility too. But what does that matter when he's getting ragdolled and screwing up blocking schemes outside of his pull plays.

So I'm guessing here but I would expect a different tact by the Rams going forward. They told Jourdan they wanted more sand in the pants at Center. Could it be that they've watched enough film of guys getting fucking manhandled that they want to move away from that? I would think so.

That may factor in to who wins that Center job and who replaces Corbs at RG if he wins at Center.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They were 2nd yr players and first time starters, who were also playing with other 2nd yr players like Demby... And they were all thrown in there at about the same time, early that season. Yet we are going to act like they will not improve, especially Allen.

We have already seen Noteboom improve, as he stepped in for Whit and performed well at his natural position.

Not saying Allen will do the same, but also not saying he won't be better and become a quality reserve if Corbett is named starting center due to his better size.
Noteboom’s run blocking has never improved. His pass blocking at guard never improved. He’s a left tackle and his pass blocking there was good.

Allen had the same deficiencies in the run game. I don’t think you can teach quickness, speed and vision. The strength part might have been improved but that does not fix linebackers avoiding his blocks too easily, or him reaching them.

Besides all that I keep reading that Allen still has knee problems from the injury.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe your right? I dunno. Maybe they scored all those points despite their poor play and maybe they went into the tank for the next 5 games despite stellar play? I tend to think it is what it is. And I don't "act" anyway. You responded directly to my post and I answered. I even said, "I don't see what MOST Ram fans see in Brian Allen", so clearly I admitted I was in the minority. Hey, we'll see what happens but apparently management doesn't see it the same way "most" Ram fans do or there wouldn't be all this sky is falling banter.
How does management see it? From all accounts Corbett is the front runner to play Center. They offered Blythe a one year deal last year then did it again this year. It seems that they know he’s not good based on the amount they offered but preferred him to Allen and Shelton once again. So you can kind of assume that neither is better than Blythe who the Rams didn’t really value all that much. High praise for Allen.

Hram

UDFA
So what I hear you saying is that next year is a good year to have a bunch of 6th round comp picks. :)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I think Allen's big problem was his physicality or lack thereof. He got outmatched at times and usually in pass sets. I actually thought he was pretty good at pulling which is probably why the Rams liked him. Kromes really seemed to want guys with mobility but we saw a continued theme with some of them like Boom and Demby where they simply weren't strong enough to do the job.

Edwards was a bit of a revelation in all that I think. The fact that Kromes tried to start Boom over him is ridiculous. I'm sure his rationale was the mobility too. But what does that matter when he's getting ragdolled and screwing up blocking schemes outside of his pull plays.

So I'm guessing here but I would expect a different tact by the Rams going forward. They told Jourdan they wanted more sand in the pants at Center. Could it be that they've watched enough film of guys getting fucking manhandled that they want to move away from that? I would think so.

That may factor in to who wins that Center job and who replaces Corbs at RG if he wins at Center.
Curious do you intentionally call him Kromes or is it an auto correct. Mine try to correct away from Kromes.

TheTackle

Starter
Offense

Starter Backup Third-string Reserve

QB Matthew Stafford John Wolford Bryce Perkins Devlin Hodges
RB Cam Akers Darrell Henderson Xavier Jones Raymond Calais, Jake Funk
WR1 Robert Woods Trishton Jackson Ben Skowronek
WR2 Van Jefferson DeSean Jackson Jeremiah Haydel
Slot Cooper Kupp Tutu Atwell Nsimba Webster J.J. Koski, Landen Akers
TE Tyler Higbee Johnny Mundt Brycen Hopkins Kendall Blanton, Jacob Harris

Raymond Calais should become our returner provided he can catch punts

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Noteboom’s run blocking has never improved. His pass blocking at guard never improved. He’s a left tackle and his pass blocking there was good.

Allen had the same deficiencies in the run game. I don’t think you can teach quickness, speed and vision. The strength part might have been improved but that does not fix linebackers avoiding his blocks too easily, or him reaching them.

Besides all that I keep reading that Allen still has knee problems from the injury.
I am not even thinking much about Allen other than him being a cheap reserve.

I do think Noteboom gets sh#t on quite a bit here though.

I didn't recall run blocking being a big issue in a number of games when he was starting. Looked fine against the Patriots... The offense looked fine against the Bucs, although mostly pass blocking there. The biggest issue down the stretch was Akers got knicked again and missed some time late in the year.

I have no issue with Noteboom being extended and being the LT, at least until they get a first rounder again to burn on a future LT. That means he could be the LT in 22' & 23'... I can live with that.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
How does management see it? From all accounts Corbett is the front runner to play Center. They offered Blythe a one year deal last year then did it again this year. It seems that they know he’s not good based on the amount they offered but preferred him to Allen and Shelton once again. So you can kind of assume that neither is better than Blythe who the Rams didn’t really value all that much. High praise for Allen.

Well there you have it. It's a done deal. You were right. Allen sucks. So does Noteboom. Management just decided to eat 2.2 mil in salary instead of replacing them with a 4th round pick. Hope nobody gets dinged on the OL or we're cooked. I think I'll cancel NFLTicket now that that's settled.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well there you have it. It's a done deal. You were right. Allen sucks. So does Noteboom. Management just decided to eat 2.2 mil in salary instead of replacing them with a 4th round pick. Hope nobody gets dinged on the OL or we're cooked. I think I'll cancel NFLTicket now that that's settled.
Agree with your take on this... I know you are being sarcastic.

Allen may not make the team...if not, they eat nothing.

And if someone thinks a 3rd or 4th round rookie will be better equipped to step in for Whitworth, if he goes down...Well simply put they need to go back to football 101 class.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Why??? Jags are said to have nailed this draft... I r confused...
Every new GM goes in to their first draft with the staff they inherited then cleans house. Pretty sure the Rams even let go of a lot of people with the transition to McVay from Fisher even with Snead staying in place. And I liked the Jags draft but not everybody did. Now Baalke and Urban will get people in they like and trust.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Why??? Jags are said to have nailed this draft... I r confused...
I believe this is actually very common both from the action (new Leadership letting scouts go, from the prior regime) and the timing (post-Draft).

New Leadership and Front Office (like Jacksonville) often want to bring in their own people. Nothing unusual about that. Getting assistant coaches in ASAP is important. Scouting is different.

Much of the field work and information gathering by the Scouting Department is done by January but the team analysis, pre-draft analysis and final decision-making by the Front Office remains to be done. It would be unproductive to let scouts go in January/February when the new Front Office comes in. By keeping them around, the new Leadership gets the benefit of their in-season-work.

I believe the contracts of most scouts are written to end after the NFL drafts.

It also makes common sense. If JAX let go of these scouts in January and February, they would be free to immediately join another organization; and give that team the benefit of the analysis and work they did while working and getting paid by the Jaguars.