Weddle cleared to play vs. Saints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MolaRam

UDFA
Hockey players might miss a few shifts with a cut like that and be back in the same game (not counting the concussion part).
I think he'll play this week.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Baseball Player: Damn, I got a twisted ankle, I'll be out for a few weeks.

Football Player: What a damn wuss. I got a twisted ankle and I rubbed some dirt on it and got back to wrecking people. Now, I had a bad cut on my head and I had to miss the rest of the game.

Hockey Player: Wtf are you on about? I got nearly scalped by a goalie's skate and I'm pissed I missed two shifts and that's only because of how many stitches they had to put in and it took the QuikClot time to stop the bleeding. Damn head cuts...

MMA Fighter: *rolls eyes*

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Baseball Player: Damn, I got a twisted ankle, I'll be out for a few weeks.

Football Player: What a damn wuss. I got a twisted ankle and I rubbed some dirt on it and got back to wrecking people. Now, I had a bad cut on my head and I had to miss the rest of the game.

Hockey Player: Wtf are you on about? I got nearly scalped by a goalie's skate and I'm pissed I missed two shifts and that's only because of how many stitches they had to put in and it took the QuikClot time to stop the bleeding. Damn head cuts...

MMA Fighter: *rolls eyes*

Meanwhile, soccer players are out when they get breathed on.

oldnotdead

Legend
Weddle shouldn't be rushed back. I would dress him but not play him unless he's an injury replacement. Concussions are a accumulative type of injury no reason to rush him back early. Just because he's cleared to play doesn't mean he should. As long as Rapp is playing well there is no need to. He will be of value as a sideline coach, letting Johnson and Rapp know what he's seeing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Did they ever say if he actually had a concussion? Or just the cut?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did they ever say if he actually had a concussion? Or just the cut?

i think people just assume that if a player is in concussion protocol he must have suffered a concussion.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I heard Sean say the next morning that he was asymptomatic. Usually when a player is concussed it takes days/weeks to get rid of symptoms and clear the protocol. If I were a betting man I'd say at worst he was either not concussed or at worst a very mild concussion.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Yeah, if you’ve got a concussion, there are going to be symptoms. To be asymptomatic means that his posture was likely a function of a rapid neck flexing (like flash knockdowns in boxing...it’s actually the neck flexion that causes a very brief loss of consciousness, not brain trauma).

Once he came to, he was fully alert and if he hadn’t had the cut, he probably would have returned.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We need Weddle for this next game. His leadership and the comms are one thing, but also his tackling ability will be a huge factor and I expect Rapp to be on the field as well in a lot of nickel looks to help handle the quick passing game the Saints bring.

Getting him back is crucial for this one. Win this game and we're one up on the Saints for home field plus have the head to head. It's as big an early game as it gets.

Playoffs! Who's talking about playoffs! :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Injury Report 9/13: Weddle cleared to play vs. Saints

Rams safety Eric Weddle has been cleared to play in Sunday's home opener vs. the New Orleans Saints.

Los Angeles' primary defensive signal-caller had been in concussion protocol this week after suffering a head laceration from his helmet when Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey attempted to hurdle him in last week's regular-season opener. After being a limited participant Wednesday and Thursday, Weddle was a full participant in Friday's practice.

“He’s feeling good," Rams head coach Sean McVay said Thursday. "He’s in great shape, he’s doing all the necessary steps and we’re fully anticipating him being ready to go. ”Additionally, OLB Clay Matthews and DL Michael Brockers were full participants in Friday's practice and are good to go for Sunday's home opener.

Below are the full reports from both teams:

LOS ANGELES RAMS

Table inside Article

PositionNameInjuryWednesdayThursdayFridayGame Status
S Eric Weddle Concussion LP LP FP
OLB Clay Matthews Back DNP LP FP
DL Michael Brockers Shoulder DNP DNP FP
T Andrew Whitworth Non Injury Related DNP FP
RB Todd Gurley II Non Injury Related DNP

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah, if you’ve got a concussion, there are going to be symptoms. To be asymptomatic means that his posture was likely a function of a rapid neck flexing (like flash knockdowns in boxing...it’s actually the neck flexion that causes a very brief loss of consciousness, not brain trauma).

Once he came to, he was fully alert and if he hadn’t had the cut, he probably would have returned.
Weird! I know you know your stuff about head injuries, Mac, but this goes against my (layman) understanding of head injuries. I thought loss of consciousness was *usually* caused by the soft brain tissue moving back and forth violently against the skull. I didn’t realize that neck flexion was related to loss of consciousness?

I remember the vicious helmet to helmet shot that Cooks took last year. Pretty amazing to me that he recovered so quickly and was able to play the following week. Here’s a replay of it:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_cFKEptYpY

TexasRam

Legend
1568417923310.gif

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Injury Report 9/13: Weddle cleared to play vs. Saints

Rams safety Eric Weddle has been cleared to play in Sunday's home opener vs. the New Orleans Saints.

Los Angeles' primary defensive signal-caller had been in concussion protocol this week after suffering a head laceration from his helmet when Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey attempted to hurdle him in last week's regular-season opener. After being a limited participant Wednesday and Thursday, Weddle was a full participant in Friday's practice.

“He’s feeling good," Rams head coach Sean McVay said Thursday. "He’s in great shape, he’s doing all the necessary steps and we’re fully anticipating him being ready to go. ”Additionally, OLB Clay Matthews and DL Michael Brockers were full participants in Friday's practice and are good to go for Sunday's home opener.

Below are the full reports from both teams:

LOS ANGELES RAMS

Table inside Article

PositionNameInjuryWednesdayThursdayFridayGame Status
S Eric Weddle Concussion LP LP FP
OLB Clay Matthews Back DNP LP FP
DL Michael Brockers Shoulder DNP DNP FP
T Andrew Whitworth Non Injury Related DNP FP
RB Todd Gurley II Non Injury Related DNP

I had heard Eric Weddle will be using a different helmet for Sundays game. I was wondering if they were implying the speaker in the helmet contributed to the cut. It wasn't a cleat as some guessed or assumed. I played offensive right tackle for 8 years and on a power play where the tight end blocks down his knee did the same to my much less protective helmet and I took it in my right temple and after snorting enough ammonia ampules I was back in for more. At 61 now I've just recently had a stroke & compared to all the stroke survivors in my rehab hospital I'd say mine was as minor as a man could hope for as I saw so many lives destroyed by a clot going through our brains. I was in the gym lifting weights for two weeks till they let me go. These RAM wins are really helping and after all I've seen so far I think outdoors on grass we play our best ball and if Goff is on and we can get Gaines to play his best & Littleton continues his awesome play with Weddle,Rapp & AD not in this southern heat and humidity we will see our D rebound from a missed tackle game. Glad Brockers is a go also as adding Kupp & Gurley to our NFCCG we will be a dangerous team. Noteboom lookin Great. LET'S GO RAMS!!!!!! On to the browns.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Weird! I know you know your stuff about head injuries, Mac, but this goes against my (layman) understanding of head injuries. I thought loss of consciousness was *usually* caused by the soft brain tissue moving back and forth violently against the skull. I didn’t realize that neck flexion was related to loss of consciousness?

I remember the vicious helmet to helmet shot that Cooks took last year. Pretty amazing to me that he recovered so quickly and was able to play the following week. Here’s a replay of it:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_cFKEptYpY

The injuries aren't the same. Cooks got wrecked. He had significant trauma directly to the side of the head. He showed all the signs of a massive head trauma. His full body lock up was a classical sign.

Weddle's hit glanced off the top of the head. If you watch, his neck flexes just as if he was punched on the chin by a hook. Now, no one thinks getting hit in the jaw causes a loss of consciousness. Rather, it is the neck rapidly flexing and stemming the flow of electricity momentarily.

He was contacted in his head and likely felt an intense burning feeling where the cut occurred. We don't know if he realized he was cut right away, but he was smart and became still. That's a normal assessment period. His limbs do not exhibit any signs of the badly concussed.

As the medical staff sat him up (another sign he wasn't badly concussed), it became clear that the much larger issue was the head wound. If the staff prior to sitting him didn't like his responses, they would have protected his neck and put him in a neck collar.

The docs naturally had him in the concussion protocol as such a hit would dictate, but apparently, his answers were such that he might have cleared early enough to return. Either way, it seems clear that his injury with respect to the impact was minor and the effects beyond the cut were short-lived.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The injuries aren't the same. Cooks got wrecked. He had significant trauma directly to the side of the head. He showed all the signs of a massive head trauma. His full body lock up was a classical sign.

Weddle's hit glanced off the top of the head. If you watch, his neck flexes just as if he was punched on the chin by a hook. Now, no one thinks getting hit in the jaw causes a loss of consciousness. Rather, it is the neck rapidly flexing and stemming the flow of electricity momentarily.

He was contacted in his head and likely felt an intense burning feeling where the cut occurred. We don't know if he realized he was cut right away, but he was smart and became still. That's a normal assessment period. His limbs do not exhibit any signs of the badly concussed.

As the medical staff sat him up (another sign he wasn't badly concussed), it became clear that the much larger issue was the head wound. If the staff prior to sitting him didn't like his responses, they would have protected his neck and put him in a neck collar.

The docs naturally had him in the concussion protocol as such a hit would dictate, but apparently, his answers were such that he might have cleared early enough to return. Either way, it seems clear that his injury with respect to the impact was minor and the effects beyond the cut were short-lived.
Cool, thanks for the detailed response, I find this stuff interesting.

Yeah, I recently learned about the ‘fencing response’, where the arms tend to extend straight out and rigid after a severe concussion.

And yes, I noticed how quickly the trainers brought Weddle up to a sitting position, which I thought they normally wouldn’t do if they suspected a severe concussion.

And regarding that Oct 2018 game where Cooks got ‘wrecked’ (ANDhad that gruesome KO as a Patriot player in the prior year), its amazing that he recovered so quickly.