Watkins is Causing Concern in KC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: https://twitter.com/SBNationNFL/status/1033042502721331200

I remember hearing 'explanations' about the complex Andy Reid offense was an adjustment for Sammy....I said the same thing last year in McVay's offense, thinking he missed part of the preseason and time with Jared..

Was I full of of brown,steaming excrement last year? (this is your chance to say so)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While schadenfreude is a gas, I do want Watkins to stay in the lineup - preferably the vast majority of plays - since playing time affects the compensation pick the Rams would get.

So please Sammy, don't be a Britt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have nothing against Watkins. I hope he succeeds. It wasn't the right fit here.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
“But it’s also reasonable to say that Watkins is facing a steeper learning curve than he’s ever faced in his career. It may take him a little more time to get everything down to the point he’s comfortable enough to once again rely on his talent and instincts as a receiver — which, lest we forget, are considerable.”
- Sounds all too familiar. :(

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While schadenfreude is a gas, I do want Watkins to stay in the lineup - preferably the vast majority of plays - since playing time affects the compensation pick the Rams would get.

So please Sammy, don't be a Britt.
It makes you wonder, so...While Watkins was in Buffalo, he was upset because he wasn't getting the ball too much and NFL experts often said how bad the quarterbacking was....Did the quarterbacking issues mask that Sammy Watkins is truly a lazy route running, bust?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
btw...schadenfruede is a beautiful thing, but wasn't my point here. I was one of Watkins supporters and wanted him re-signed here. No matter what my intentions are, however, won't change how Sammy plays in KCMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“But it’s also reasonable to say that Watkins is facing a steeper learning curve than he’s ever faced in his career. It may take him a little more time to get everything down to the point he’s comfortable enough to once again rely on his talent and instincts as a receiver — which, lest we forget, are considerable.”
- Sounds all too familiar. :(

Yeah, I won't be surprised if he watches the film and sees Watkins "open" often. The thing is that NFL QBs aren't throwing to WRs. They're throwing to spots where the WR is supposed to be. If the QB doesn't trust the WR and the WR has a habit of not being where he's supposed to be, he's likely to end up a decoy. The guy put Watkins' issues on Goff being "inaccurate," but Goff looked awfully accurate when throwing to Woods and Kupp. My theory is that Watkins had a bad habit of not being where he should have been, which tended to make Goff look bad. For example, he posts a play showing Watkins getting by Bouye against the Jags and blames Goff for the poor throw. However, Goff throws the post vertically while Watkins starts to fade horizontally. Goff couldn't throw it horizontally because the Jaguars had a defender in a zone there. Throwing it vertically keeps both Bouye and the other defender out of the play. Watkins should have adjusted his route (assuming he didn't run the route improperly to begin with, which is a strong possibility) to head to the open space instead of towards a defender. Goff made the smart read there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Watkins will probably settle into that offense sometime this year or by year 2. Might not be an instant impact dude until he's playing and not thinking.

He's gonna take the occasional play off, that's who he is. And he's still not a great route runner. But his physical gifts can overcome that, just a matter of him getting everything in the offense down mentally.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins will probably settle into that offense sometime this year or by year 2. Might not be an instant impact dude until he's playing and not thinking.

He's gonna take the occasional play off, that's who he is. And he's still not a great route runner. But his physical gifts can overcome that, just a matter of him getting everything in the offense down mentally.

It takes diligence, effort, and awareness to change habits, like thinking physical gifts will be enough to ignore the craft of running exact routes. At this point, guys like Watkins and Tavon Austin, will never learn.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It takes diligence and effort to change habits, like thinking physical gifts will be enough to ignore the craft of running exact routes. At this point, guys like Watkins and Tavon Austin, will never learn.

Yeah what kills guys who have that super elite speed or quickness is when they overlook fundamentals (like route running). Watkins will be ok until he loses a step. Then he's done. IMO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Don't get the connection? Mahomes arm strength won't make Sammy know the offense or not to quit on routes...

I posted it in this thread because there's a discussion on Sammy Watkins in that thread that might interest others.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hope Watkins succeeds except when he's facing us so we can get a juicy comp pick. Cooks despite being smaller is definitely an upgrade since he knows the route tree for the most part and doesn't show lackadaisical effort in completing it compared to Watkins.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Sammy does well. No doubt he has put the time in to his craft. I want all players to succeed. The chance to play another year.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?

Errr, he’s making $16 mil! There eventually comes a time when the player runs out of excuses and maybe he’s just not what people thought he’d be for whatever reason - it happens. Rams made right decision to both bring him in to see if he could reach his potential and to also cut bait.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Schadenboner.

Sammy next 3 years: 48M, avg 16 M per year.

Cooks next 6 years: 88 M, avg. 14.6 M per year.

Right now, it looks like KC overpaid for a talented yet unreliable wr who can’t be counted on to know the playbook.

Right now, it looks like Rams got a long-term bargain for a 1,000 yards/season wr who has reliable hands and elite speed.

We’ll see how this season goes, but right now it looks like Rams got a significantly better receiver, for a significantly longer deal, at a significantly lower price.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Errr, he’s making $16 mil! There eventually comes a time when the player runs out of excuses and maybe he’s just not what people thought he’d be for whatever reason - it happens. Rams made right decision to both bring him in to see if he could reach his potential and to also cut bait.

Yeah I don't disagree. But teams are crazy for wideouts right now to supplement their QBs with weapons. Particularly when you have a young guy with a strong arm and the staff wants to do what they can to ensure he's got a guy who can stretch the field.

Rams were willing to bring Sammy back, having just suffered through a so-so first year and thinking they could get him to start playin fast. Thankfully they just weren't willing to go that high and might have dodged a bullet; some guys quit once they get paid, and Sammy might be one of those but we'll have to wait and see.

Just giving the Chiefs the benefit of the doubt though. They have a good staff so I think they'll get him to a productive level at some point.