Watkins is Causing Concern in KC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How many years does it take for coaches to say, this is just who he is. The Rams hoped Sammy was more than he was in Buffalo, and KC felt he was more than he was with the Rams/Buffalo. It reminds me of the many Rams fans that kept pining for Tavon to be West Virginia Tavon. By year two you start to get a feel for the player, by year three you pretty much know if they are growing or not.

I'm glad the Rams realized that Sammy was good but not 16 million good, and that they needed better. KC did the Rams a huge favor by overpaying Watkins and forcing Snead and McVay to find a better option. Now Sean has his DeSean Jackson role covered.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
It takes diligence, effort, and awareness to change habits, like thinking physical gifts will be enough to ignore the craft of running exact routes. At this point, guys like Watkins and Tavon Austin, will never learn.

Bruce and Holt did learn. I agree on your point here. :cheers:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
This brandin cooks signing is looking better and better , glad the team could swallow thier pride and move on after 1 season. Hope sammy figures it out but he seems to lack effort at times and that's not cool

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Now that Sammy has broke the bank... I'm certain that he will now become the player everyone expects him to be. Please.

The dude just isn't very smart.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Now that Sammy has broke the bank... I'm certain that he will now become the player everyone expects him to be. Please.

I fear that's the elephant in the room. Sammy just might not be the sharpest tool in the box.

nighttrain

Legend
being a quick study has nothing to do with intelligence, some are quick to learn, others learn slower
train

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Bruce came into the league already running great routes. Holt pretty much did too.
And they both turned out to be good WRs. It's weird how NFL coaches struggle to understand the correlation, but casual fans (or obsessed ones like us) get it.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Antonio Brown was a 6th round pick, I believe. Some guys just need time to develop. And Sammy is way past that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
being a quick study has nothing to do with intelligence, some are quick to learn, others learn slower
train
Quick larnin’ whippersnappers! ~ train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

When the Rams acquired Watkins last year and when Watkins was asked how long it would take him to digest the playbook, his response concerned me because he said, "Not long a couple of weeks." That was his response and I found that odd, well, it doesn't take long to read war & peace if you read only the first two chapters.

Something is missing there and add in a durability factor, but he was durable for the Rams, but his history before that was a concern. Sometimes the best signings you make are the ones you don't and although I believe Watkins will be solid for the Chiefs as they are coached by one of the premier offensive minds in the game in Andy Reid, I believe McVay liked Cooks from the outset and now has his guy and Reid has his.

…..

Legend
Kansas City resurrected Jeremy Maclin. I'm sure Watkins can find success there too. The only thing missing is Alex Smith.

Time will tell, and it hasn't been enough time after a couple preseason games

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yeah, I won't be surprised if he watches the film and sees Watkins "open" often. The thing is that NFL QBs aren't throwing to WRs. They're throwing to spots where the WR is supposed to be. If the QB doesn't trust the WR and the WR has a habit of not being where he's supposed to be, he's likely to end up a decoy. The guy put Watkins' issues on Goff being "inaccurate," but Goff looked awfully accurate when throwing to Woods and Kupp. My theory is that Watkins had a bad habit of not being where he should have been, which tended to make Goff look bad. For example, he posts a play showing Watkins getting by Bouye against the Jags and blames Goff for the poor throw. However, Goff throws the post vertically while Watkins starts to fade horizontally. Goff couldn't throw it horizontally because the Jaguars had a defender in a zone there. Throwing it vertically keeps both Bouye and the other defender out of the play. Watkins should have adjusted his route (assuming he didn't run the route improperly to begin with, which is a strong possibility) to head to the open space instead of towards a defender. Goff made the smart read there.

Well put, I completely agree. Great natural ability and poor fundamentals and discipline have derailed and haunted many talented players. Not saying that is Sammy's issues for certain but I would certainly entertain that possibility

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Sure, it's possible that Sammy is a great kidder.
But maybe, just maybe, Sammy is genuinely a little bit, um, . . . off?

View: https://twitter.com/lindseythiry/status/910305424653541376

View: https://twitter.com/sammywatkins/status/985174403926327296?s=21

---------------

Sammy Watkins Doesn't Deny That He's in a Cult in Strange Tweet
https://www.12up.com/posts/6042621-sammy-watkins-doesn-t-deny-that-he-s-in-a-cult-in-strange-tweet

---------------

View: https://twitter.com/Grutt_Stuff/status/997156173408124928

SAK11

Rookie
Kansas City resurrected Jeremy Maclin. I'm sure Watkins can find success there too. The only thing missing is Alex Smith.

Time will tell, and it hasn't been enough time after a couple preseason games

The year before Maclin went to KC, he had his career best year with Philly- 1300 yards and 10 TDs.

I do agree that people are too quick to write-off Watkins, though. I think he can be a solid player for KC. Just not the star he was once supposed to be.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Yeah Sammy is lucky right now with his speed defenses have to respect him, so just for that factor he helps a team.
The thing is he better find a way to supplement that once his speed is gone...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Sammy is lucky right now with his speed defenses have to respect him, so just for that factor he helps a team.
The thing is he better find a way to supplement that once his speed is gone...

$30 million guaranteed, $48 million total on the contract. He likely figures that is proof that what he is doing is great.

Problem is - in 2020 the Chiefs can save $14 million against the cap by cutting him. So unless he improves, it's likely that his contract will really be for $34 million. If it were me, I'd be trying to make that additional $14 million by doing things like learning the playbook - I'd have paid some local football players to work out with me to run the plays much of the offseason. A few thousand dollars well spent, after getting a $21 million signing bonus. But that's just me.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Hope Watkins succeeds except when he's facing us so we can get a juicy comp pick. Cooks despite being smaller is definitely an upgrade since he knows the route tree for the most part and doesn't show lackadaisical effort in completing it compared to Watkins.
Yeah. I hope he doesn't flame out in KC, but I think the money he got, plus even moderate starting WR production should be enough to net the Rams a 3rd. There might be some potential to stay higher up in the order of 3rd round comp picks if Watkins puts up 75/1000/8, but as long as it's a 3rd, I'm happy.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Off topic but Kansas City'' first team offense and defense are getting worked but Chicago's third team offense and defense