Mahomes shows off his arm strength

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yes, that is Mahomes one trick.. . .

Debacled

Starter
Most QBs in the NFL can float it about that far when given that much time. I still remember some of the old skills competitions before the pro bowl games where just about all the guys would be dropping it at nearly 70 yards

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think some of it is something guys were just plain born with. Guys who are dedicated can work to improve a strong arm into a great one. But I think either you have it or you don't. When I was 18 it wasn't hard for me to throw over 60 yards in the air and I was not an athletic person. It was nothing I did as far as working on it. I just always had that stronger than average arm. Just don't ask me to hit a target with it. :rolleyes:

Our high school QB is thin and maybe, 6'. He can throw the ball a long ways. I never expected it. I have never had a strong arm.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I often wonder what is involved in a strong arm. Mechanics can only get you so far. So which muscles or combination of muscles matter most? Pectorals, Glutes? A combination of everything?
Mechanics are way more involved than strength when it comes to movements like throwing. For instance, someone with longer arms is going to generate more kinetic energy than someone with shorter arms. You will always have people who can muscle it and throw far, but those with the right mechanics can throw it just as far without having to muscle it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mechanics are way more involved than strength when it comes to movements like throwing. For instance, someone with longer arms is going to generate more kinetic energy than someone with shorter arms. You will always have people who can muscle it and throw far, but those with the right mechanics can throw it just as far without having to muscle it.

When I think of a truly strong armed QB, I think of those that can kneel and still throw 60 yards

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...ly-waiting-for-sammy-watkins-to-earn-his-keep

Chiefs patiently waiting for Sammy Watkins to earn his keep
Adam Teicher/ESPN Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- At training camp, establiched Kansas City Chiefs pass-catchers Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce saw the ball come their way more than it did to the newcomer, Sammy Watkins.

In the Chiefs' two preseason games, Hill has six catches and a touchdown, Kelce four receptions.

Watkins, the Chiefs' major free-agent acquisition, has none. Meanwhile, 14 other Chiefs have at least one pass reception in the preseason.

Watkins had a particularly rough game last week in Atlanta, where he dropped one pass and failed to come back for another in the end zone, possibly costing the Chiefs a touchdown.

For the time being, at least, the Chiefs' passing game with quarterback Patrick Mahomes is tilting heavily toward Kelce and Hill, the Chiefs' top two pass-catchers from last season.

The game in Atlanta appeared to be a setback for Watkins. Andy Reid rarely singles out a player publicly for blame on any particular play but said Watkins was at fault on the touchdown he didn't get. Mahomes threw to Watkins in the end zone but he failed to come back to the ball, leaving an opening for a defender to break up the pass.

"Sammy's got to come back for that," Reid said. "That's a great one to learn from. ... If you're going to have the quarterback throw back on it, then you've got to be coming back to him. He kind of waited and it allowed the defender to recover.

"[Mahomes] is OK on that one."

The only interception Mahomes has thrown in the preseason was on a pass intended for Watkins. While it's hard to figure the blame for that one, it's still a sign the two players aren't seeing things the same way.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...ly-waiting-for-sammy-watkins-to-earn-his-keep

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- At training camp, establiched Kansas City Chiefs pass-catchers Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce saw the ball come their way more than it did to the newcomer, Sammy Watkins.

In the Chiefs' two preseason games, Hill has six catches and a touchdown, Kelce four receptions.

Watkins, the Chiefs' major free-agent acquisition, has none. Meanwhile, 14 other Chiefs have at least one pass reception in the preseason.

Watkins had a particularly rough game last week in Atlanta, where he dropped one pass and failed to come back for another in the end zone, possibly costing the Chiefs a touchdown.

For the time being, at least, the Chiefs' passing game with quarterback Patrick Mahomes is tilting heavily toward Kelce and Hill, the Chiefs' top two pass-catchers from last season.

The game in Atlanta appeared to be a setback for Watkins. Andy Reid rarely singles out a player publicly for blame on any particular play but said Watkins was at fault on the touchdown he didn't get. Mahomes threw to Watkins in the end zone but he failed to come back to the ball, leaving an opening for a defender to break up the pass.

"Sammy's got to come back for that," Reid said. "That's a great one to learn from. ... If you're going to have the quarterback throw back on it, then you've got to be coming back to him. He kind of waited and it allowed the defender to recover.

The only interception Mahomes has thrown in the preseason was on a pass intended for Watkins. While it's hard to figure the blame for that one, it's still a sign the two players aren't seeing things the same way.
I know it's only preseason but, wow, no one could have seen those problems coming.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Well he’s a good receiver of paychecks anyway.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What the Chiefs are saying about Sammy Watkins

usa_today_10992993.0.jpg

Let’s address a preseason elephant in the room, shall we? Through two games, Sammy Watkins hasn’t looked all that great.

Watkins wasn’t targeted in the Kansas City Chiefs’ first preseason game while dealing with an injured hip, and then he wasn’t involved in the Chiefs’ second game against the Atlanta Falcons. In 24 snaps, Waktins had three targets but no catches.

The team is blaming Watkins’ slow start on the playbook.

“Sammy (Watkins) is still working through the offense,” head coach Andy Reid explained Tuesday. “I love his intensity on learning all the small things. We are moving him everywhere. You’ve seen that. We have him in all different spots. If you haven’t seen it in games, you’ve seen it in practice. In practice, they have done some good things. I love his intensity in learning exactly what he has to do in all these different spots. There are just some little intricacies that these other guys have had an opportunity to do and he is working through that.”

To Reid’s point, at practice, especially before the Chiefs left St. Joseph, Watkins had looked strong.

“I feel like we had good connections throughout the practices,” quarterback Patrick Mahomes added. “We haven’t connected in the preseason so far, but at the same time, the relationship I’m building with him on the practice field, after practice, whatever we’re doing I feel like will translate into the season and when you have that much talent you’re going to be open so hopefully I can get the ball to him, he’s going to be open a lot.”

It isn’t time to hit the panic button yet, but at the end of the day, the cold, hard truth I’m realizing through watching this team through the first four weeks of the 2018 campaign is this:

At his best (which we have yet to see), Sammy Watkins will be the fifth most important player on the Chiefs offense this season.

And that would be perfectly fine, except the Chiefs paid him handsomely this offseason with a three-year contract worth $48 million, $30 million of which is guaranteed.

That is money that could have went to a secondary that through two (albeit, preseason) games has look less than stellar, money that could have signed an ample offensive guard in what has been a training camp carousel or money that maybe could have kept cornerback Bashaud Breeland inside the Chiefs dorm.

Worst of all: it’s money that may have been able to do all three.

For what it’s worth, I hope I’m dead wrong. But as I watch Demarcus Robinson looking like he could be a star while the Chiefs choose between Jehu Chesson, Marcus Kemp and Gehrig Dieter, all of who should wind up on a team somewhere, here are the questions I’m beginning to ponder:

No matter what Watkins does, could that money have been better spent?

Wouldn’t the biggest tragedy of all be watching the best Chiefs offense in the last decade not have the defensive personnel to drive them to the playoffs while Watkins plays replacement-level football?

Look. I realize this speculation could all be for naught.

But it doesn’t feel that way, right?

[www.google.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This from RockRam off the Herd Board and IMO or IHO, he's right on point

Sammy simply is not wired to be a #1 WR, and is close to being a one-trick pony.
He doesn't seem to want to (or can't) learn the intracicies of route running; nor does he seem interested in helping out his QB when the play breaks down and everyone is scrambling.

Of course, it is early. But the echoes about "learning the playbook" from the Rams are still ringing in KC.
And as the writer said in the article; they just paid this guy a ton of money. You'd think he'd forego most everything else in his life for the first year anyway to be totally on top of the playbook and to have worked out a lot with the QB. Seems not so much.
The Rams knew what they were doing by not bidding too high for his continuing services after having him for a year. He was only going to be Goff's 3rd option (if not 4th) most of the time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was one of those guys who wanted to hold onto Watkins but the Rams knew what they were doing when they traded for Cooks.

He’s just a better fit in the offense and I think Sammy needs to look in the mirror right now.

He seems to lack that “extra effort”, in many areas, and that pattern is following him from team to team.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I think arm strength is way overrated.

JaMarcus Russell and Kyle Boller had extremely strong arms and both were extremely disappointing.

Case Keenum just signed a 42 million dollar contract with 25 million dollars guaranteed.

Brains
Drive
Ambition
And mostly the reaction time between your brain recognizing an open receiver and pulling the trigger on throwing the ball to him.
I was just at a fantasy draft this weekend where the conversation turned to greatest NFL arms. I confirmed we were just talking arm strength, not accuracy or talent, and brought up Boller. Nobody believed me.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Havenstein totally got away with a hold on Clowney on that long throw haha. The rare no-call in our favor.
I actually think Whitworth gets away with a ton, but I'm going to take it without question after Robinson got called for holding for everything he did. Reputation works both ways.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I actually think Whitworth gets away with a ton, but I'm going to take it without question after Robinson got called for holding for everything he did. Reputation works both ways.

So does football acumen....Robinson didn't have it, Whitworth has had it for years.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
So does football acumen....Robinson didn't have it, Whitworth has had it for years.
That's not at all what I'm talking about. If both Whitworth and Robinson grab a guy by his jersey and hold him up in the exact way, one guy gets a flag the other doesn't. That's not acumen. Even more importantly, Robinson makes a complexly legal block and gets a flag, while Withworth holds the hell out of a guy and gets the no call. That's reputation at play.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's not at all what I'm talking about. If both Whitworth and Robinson grab a guy by his jersey and hold him up in the exact way, one guy gets a flag the other doesn't. That's not acumen. Even more importantly, Robinson makes a complexly legal block and gets a flag, while Withworth holds the hell out of a guy and gets the no call. That's reputation at play.
Not entirely. If you are in balance and in position, they will be more likely to not key in on you and therefore you get away with a few more holds. Refs can’t watch every player. If however, you are constantly playing without that balance and position and are seen lunging at defenders, you will draw attention and get called more often. It’s only natural.

That all said, Robinson making a “complexly” legal block? Never mind the hold call. Have you seen this? Got some video?

So yeah... all things being equal, nothing is ever equal. Some players earn reputations of doing it right. Some earn reputations FOR doing it wrong. If the ref does not have that in the back of his head, he would be a total anomaly.