Vent thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tano

Legend
I told my kid at the time they should have roll him out on 2nd down and eat it if nothing is there. What could go wrong? And a legit shot to get the first down.
So you're the one I was referring to

Good call

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I told my kid at the time they should have roll him out on 2nd down and eat it if nothing is there. What could go wrong? And a legit shot to get the first down.
Thinking that there's any security with that amount of time in today's NFL is misguided. That's why more and more teams are going for it more on 4th down. Aggressive is better.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
I'm sure you think that was some sort of great burn.

It wasn't.

Fact is, they marched 60-some yards in less than 40 seconds. So to claim they couldn't go 80 in 90 is, to quote Stephen Lynch, "just a little bit special"
Do you hear yourself?

Because they had a 60 yard drive in the 1H that ended in a FG it means a 90 yard drive ending in a TD is a likelihood? What?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Do you hear yourself?

Because they had a 60 yard drive in the 1H that ended in a FG it means a 90 yard drive ending in a TD is a likelihood? What?
No.

It means that having any sense of security in that situation that the defense would make a stop would be misguided and you should be aggressive in keeping the ball.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
Do you hear yourself?

Your argument was that they needed 9 minutes to march down the field.

I demonstrated something from just 30 minutes of a game time earlier that that wasn't true (and remember, they only kicked the field goal because they only had 40 seconds total, not because they were out of downs).

Your argument was shit. It's demonstrably false. And I didn't even have to go through historical archives to find an example of why it was wrong. Take the L and feel bad for subjecting us to such a poorly formed thought.

AppeasFBlGods

Rookie
Everyone keeps saying it was a big mistake running it and punting when you have an investment like Stafford. But what about the other investments? Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Leonard Floyd and von Miller? Don't you think that in a pass only situation.. with 88 yards and no timeouts to go against a team missing it's LT.. that you can stop them and win the game? This is crazy post game bias.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Everyone keeps saying it was a big mistake running it and punting when you have an investment like Stafford. But what about the other investments? Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Leonard Floyd and von Miller? Don't you think that in a pass only situation.. with 88 yards and no timeouts to go against a team missing it's LT.. that you can stop them and win the game? This is crazy post game bias.

No.

What we're saying is that the other team can't score if they don't have the ball.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah, it's the defense.

It is on McVay as well as Morris

But it's just on the defense. Whatever else happened before:

7 point lead.

90 seconds to go.

Ball on their own 10 yard line.

AD, Ramsey, Floyd, Miller.

1000000000000000% this loss is on the defense.

Glad to see you finally have your blinkers off.

Last year the defense gave up two long fg drives to a back up qb in the last 5 mins of the game to lose it. Yet you blamed it 10000000% on the qb.

Now you can finally see the defense for what it is.

MachS

Hall of Fame
There's no bullshit, dude.
Man are you bipolar or something? You said "chill out man I'm not blaming Stafford" right before you proceeded to say he wasn't good enough and wasn't worth the trade given how he played on the final drive. That's why I said bullshit. Because I think the problem is you post 18 times a minute so you actually forget what the fuck you just said.

if you're going to invest that much in a QB, you think it's all hunky dory for him to throw that int?

I'm not insinuating it, I'm saying it. I want to see a guy they paid that much make plays there. Sorry if those expectations are too high.
There you go. Own it. Don't straddle the fence man, go right over. If you think this game was on Stafford then you think this game was on Stafford.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Man are you bipolar or something? You said "chill out man I'm not blaming Stafford" right before you proceeded to say he wasn't good enough. That's why I said bullshit. Because I think the problem is you post 18 times a minute so you actually forget what the fuck you just said.

There you go. Own it. Don't straddle the fence man, go right over. If you think this game was on Stafford then you think this game was on Stafford.

You can describe your own arguments and thought process, but I'd just say not to do that with mine.

If you don't understand how someone could say that..
-The offensive line was the biggest problem in the game
-McVay's conservative nature at the end of the first half and game cost them, big time
-The defense completely failed at the end of the 4th quarter
-Stafford failed at the end of overtime

And believe that all those things are true, that's about you and your thought process and view.

Not mine.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
Man are you bipolar or something? You said "chill out man I'm not blaming Stafford" right before you proceeded to say he wasn't good enough and wasn't worth the trade given how he played on the final drive. That's why I said bullshit. Because I think the problem is you post 18 times a minute so you actually forget what the fuck you just said.

Game wasn't on Stafford. He came out on fire with the plays he was given. Shanahan adjusted. McVay didn't. Stafford started getting treated like David Carr in Houston's 1st season and still McVay did nothing but send him out to slaughter. I got a good look at stafford right in the eyes a couple of times. He looked like he had just been whisked away from an abusive relationship and didn't know where he was going to sleep that night. He was completely shell shocked on the sidelines. There were so many things McVay could have done to counteract the fact that Havenstein and Allen are garbage and the Niners were blowing right past them without even blitzing, and he didn't until the 2nd to last drive in regulation. Surprise surprise, suddenly Stafford was doing OK again. Then he abandoned it for the last 2 drives because, god dammit, McVay is the smartest guy on the field and he doesn't have to change anything to win and he's going to prove it. It's not his lack of adjustments that were wrong, it's the children! Same complaint I've had about him since the Super Bowl. He spends so much energy trying to prove he's t he smartest person on the field that the only person he outsmarts is himself.

Stafford ran the plays he was given. He was given shitty plays. That's not on him.

MachS

Hall of Fame
You can describe your own arguments and thought process, but I'd just say not to do that with mine.

If you don't understand how someone could say that..
-The offensive line was the biggest problem in the game
-McVay's conservative nature at the end of the first half and game cost them, big time
-The defense completely failed at the end of the 4th quarter
-Stafford failed at the end of overtime

And believe that all those things are true, that's about you and your thought process and view.

Not mine.
Backpedal some more. It wasn't that Stafford failed at the end of overtime. You said he didn't do enough to warrant the trade with Detroit. Driving down the field in a 2-min drill, and throwing a TD with 60 secs left to ice the game while playing on a hurt ankle should have been enough. We had no running game. The OL got manhandled and gave up 6 sacks today. Stafford did enough to win the game. Period. He did plenty. We didn't lose because of him, that's the point. Feel free to slant your narrative whichever way makes you feel better.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Backpedal some more. It wasn't that Stafford failed at the end of overtime. You said he didn't do enough to warrant the trade with Detroit. Driving down the field in a 2-min drill, and throwing a TD with 60 secs left to ice the game while playing on a hurt ankle should have been enough. We had no running game. The OL got manhandled and gave up 6 sacks today. Stafford did enough to win the game. Period. He did plenty. We didn't lose because of him, that's the point. Feel free to slant your narrative whichever way makes you feel better.

I'm not backpedaling.

Yeah.. I think a guy who the Rams spent 2 firsts on should end a critical game better than he did.

You don't? Fine.

I thought he was pretty damn fantastic most of the game... AND... I thought throwing what I feel was a really bad int to end the game made me feel like that's not a guy worth 2 first rounders.

Sorry that that offends your football sensitivities.

I hope that I'm just overly butthurt and Stafford comes back next week and torches the Cards!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Game wasn't on Stafford. He came out on fire with the plays he was given. Shanahan adjusted. McVay didn't. Stafford started getting treated like David Carr in Houston's 1st season and still McVay did nothing but send him out to slaughter. I got a good look at stafford right in the eyes a couple of times. He looked like he had just been whisked away from an abusive relationship and didn't know where he was going to sleep that night. He was completely shell shocked on the sidelines. There were so many things McVay could have done to counteract the fact that Havenstein and Allen are garbage and the Niners were blowing right past them without even blitzing, and he didn't until the 2nd to last drive in regulation. Surprise surprise, suddenly Stafford was doing OK again. Then he abandoned it for the last 2 drives because, god dammit, McVay is the smartest guy on the field and he doesn't have to change anything to win and he's going to prove it. It's not his lack of adjustments that were wrong, it's the children! Same complaint I've had about him since the Super Bowl. He spends so much energy trying to prove he's t he smartest person on the field that the only person he outsmarts is himself.

Stafford ran the plays he was given. He was given shitty plays. That's not on him.

All valid stuff.

Shuie3225

Starter
Because I think the problem is you post 18 times a minute so you actually forget what the fuck you just said.
He has the output of a 12yr old Chinese boy working in Shenzhen. It's pretty remarkable tbh. Highjacks every thread tho lmao

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
If you guys haven't seen the post game presser I encourage you all to do so.

McVay looks like he's on the verge of tears. I've never seen him so pissed off and be so short with the media. He was ready to go into the locker room and let heads roll.

Ramsey doesn't say much but makes sure to get in a shot at the conservative defensive scheme. Now we all know what he was yelling at Morris on the sidelines about. He's really wasting his talent on this defense.
I just watched this and that’s just about the most heated I’ve seen McVay in a post game presser.

He was real pissed about the o line. “We couldn’t run the ball at all. No efficiency in the run game, and then we struggled with protection too”.

Say what you want about McVay and Morris and Stafford, but if you would’ve told me before the game that Stafford would get sacked 5 times and we would be physically incapable of running the ball, I’d have guessed we got blown out.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I totally agree with you. But I would have also been okay with a play action fake and telling Stafford to eat the sack if nobody was wide open. That said, the defense should have closed out the game with no problem.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'm going to re-up this concept.. because so many people are just talking past it..

The Rams, conceptually, play "not to lose" on both sides of the ball. That's a team vibe thing... and that's a McVay thing.
You could characterize the D playing prevent that way but, with some playing calling exceptions, the offense is ordinarily as aggressive and impatient as hell. Not the right concept, at least not across the board.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You could characterize the D playing prevent that way but, with some playing calling exceptions, the offense is ordinarily as aggressive and impatient as hell. Not the right concept, at least not across the board.
There's definitely a mix of overly aggressive in the pass game at times and hyper-conservative at others. He goes for it on 4th down at one of the lowest rates in the league, for example.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler

yeah I truly believe McVay would handle it the exact same way again. Jimmy G with no timeouts and no run game to lean on? Down 7 with 90 seconds to play? Uh, yes please.

Still can’t believe the defense gave up a score there. Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.