UPDATE: Rams claim Baker Mayfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Ok, lets get real here... Mayfield has had issues... ego, vision, conflict with some teammates (OBJ's dad?), etc. But he still has decent talent and was a number 1 overall pick at one point. He showed promise early in Cleveland then ended it with several injuries including a really bad shoulder. Went to Carolina where he was put in an uninspiring offense ran by and uninspiring coach.

Fast forward to now, McVay is known for helping QBs out and getting the most out of them. He is energetic and can match Baker's excitement as well. He was a model citizen in Carolina and accepted his role as a backup with grace and was a cheerleader on the sideline.

Worst case scenario, he sucks here and just cruises us into the offseason. Or is here next year as bridge option to someone else if Staff retires.

Average scenario, he plays ok enough and goes into free agency and maybe gets us a crappy comp pick.

Above average scenario, he plays well and develops a good rep with McVay. We go into the offseason either getting a good comp pick for him or he wants to stay here and see what happens and we sign him as depth for Stafford.

Either way, this pickup only makes us better in the short run and there's no reason for it to harm us long term. /shrug

Tano

Legend
"Who are QBs drafted as selection number _______ who played for the _______?"
Oh No Omg GIF by brandon wells

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Massive upgrade over Perkins and Wolford. Might not be a guy you want as a starter but I feel pretty good about that talent level as a backup.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
This could be the Rams way of maybe getting a backup for Stafford next year once Mayfield realizes he’s not going to be signed on as a starter next year.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
The sad part is their fan base is in the denial stage so they'll claim they are better off with a 7th rd rookie QB. Deep down inside though, I know they aren't too happy either.
After the quarter this past Sunday I heard all this racket and screaming.

Whiner fans already jumping off the bandwagons.

I kid you not, most have already stored their whiner swag for the season. Same place they store their Kings and Warriors swag.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Ok, lets get real here... Mayfield has had issues... ego, vision, conflict with some teammates (OBJ's dad?), etc. But he still has decent talent and was a number 1 overall pick at one point. He showed promise early in Cleveland then ended it with several injuries including a really bad shoulder. Went to Carolina where he was put in an uninspiring offense ran by and uninspiring coach.

Fast forward to now, McVay is known for helping QBs out and getting the most out of them. He is energetic and can match Baker's excitement as well. He was a model citizen in Carolina and accepted his role as a backup with grace and was a cheerleader on the sideline.

Worst case scenario, he sucks here and just cruises us into the offseason. Or is here next year as bridge option to someone else if Staff retires.

Average scenario, he plays ok enough and goes into free agency and maybe gets us a crappy comp pick.

Above average scenario, he plays well and develops a good rep with McVay. We go into the offseason either getting a good comp pick for him or he wants to stay here and see what happens and we sign him as depth for Stafford.

Either way, this pickup only makes us better in the short run and there's no reason for it to harm us long term. /shrug
Well said.

With all that is going on there really could have not been a realistic better option.

I like the mix of youth and some serviceable talent.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The sad part is their fan base is in the denial stage so they'll claim they are better off with a 7th rd rookie QB. Deep down inside though, I know they aren't too happy either.

And after they flame in the playoffs, they will look forward to next season having to either re-sign Jimmy once again or put all their chips in with a QB who hasn't played a full season since, what, 2019(?) and who was very underwhelming earlier this year.

Austin Powers Evil Laugh GIF

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
And to think we could have had Cooper Rush or Browning who are both upgrades over Perk, Wolf, and Mayfield at $1.3M per year. Maybe the QB coach should be canned for not realizing that. Damn.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
After the quarter this past Sunday I heard all this racket and screaming.

Whiner fans already jumping off the bandwagons.

I kid you not, most have already stored their whiner swag for the season. Same place they store their Kings and Warriors swag.
The ones I know are in denial about it but it's ok, it just makes their demise better.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Ok, lets get real here... Mayfield has had issues... ego, vision, conflict with some teammates (OBJ's dad?), etc.

And he's never had any really good MILF pussy either.

Sincerely,

Zach Wilson

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I like this. Seems no risk. Keeps him from the 9ers too.
I really like the idea of re-signing him and reuniting him with new Rams 2023 offensive staff member, Kliff Kingsbury.

That being said, McVay is not a miracle worker. Bortles, Duck Hodges, and Dan Orlovsky were all guys who won games in the League and ended up out of the League after McVay. I like to think Baker is lightyears ahead of those guys and will deliver better results. We'll see how it works.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see little downside to this move. What’s the worst that could happen?
The upside looks optimistic, at worst he’s our #2 QB.

I think Baker knows this may be his last chance. Perhaps Baker give Matthew a little fire to come back, who knows. If McVay can’t get him working back into his winning ways Baker may be taking orders at the local shake shack.

Plus Mayfield knows the security code into the Browns stadium. That’s always a big plus.

Oh yeah, and a nice big middle finger to the niners!!!!