UPDATE: Rams claim Baker Mayfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Can’t be worse than Dieter Brock :laugh1:
The list of subpar Rams QBs is almost endless.
I remember being in the doldrums of another terrible season in Anaheim and actually getting a little excited Mike Pagel was coming in.....Mike....Fing....Pagel.....thing about that.
Haha.

oldnotdead

Legend
A stronger arm is a good thing, no?

A strong arm without accuracy and touch is meaningless. Give me a QB that can drive the ball with good accuracy out to 40 yds but throw with touch when he has to. Most passes don't go 30 yds in the air. Guys like Cam Newton have cannon arms but inconsistent accuracy and touch. He spent his whole career trying to develop both and never really succeeded. When it comes to arm strength it's better to have a QB who is accurate out to 30 yds than one that can chuck it 60 yds but with only a wing and a prayer when it comes to accuracy.

People are making a big deal about UK QB Levis and his strong arm. But his inconsistent accuracy on his deep ball give me pause. Lots of QBs can chuck it deep but not everyone can do it with touch and accuracy.

When you look at the passing tree for most offenses the vast majority are designed for the reception to be within 25 yds. So how strong of an arm does a QB's arm really need to be?

Arm strength wasn't the problem with Goff. Yet he was successful even if it wasn't up to McVay's standard. Stafford has turned the ball over far more often than Goff ever did. Yet McVay doesn't seem to care. He's more interested in not having to coach a QB. Which is why IMO there is a part of me that doubts that Sean would ever draft a rookie QB again. He simply hasn't got the patience and he's already proved he's not going to change his offense to fit the talents of his QB.

As far as Baker is concerned he's two years removed from playing well. IMO his poor work ethic is why he's a bust. He's like Kyler, and Baker's play is no different than he it was as a rookie. So do I expect anything better from him than what he's shown in the past 2 years? His inability to beat out Darnold says a lot. People say he's a good teammate but doing your homework and improving the level of his play IMO is part of being a good teammate. He's not a locker room cancer, but he's done this to himself. He has more physical talent than Wolford but he's even more mistake prone than John.

dang

Legend
U cant underestimate how important "fit" is for players.
Sometimes that lightbulb just flips on with a new team and culture.
When we trot out Wolf and Perk, their best plays are made with their legs, so all we are really able to
assess is THEIR value.
With Mayfield, I guarantee we will get a better look at what our WRs/RBs and TEs can do.
100% worth kicking the tires with this move. What is the worst that can happen? We lose out?
100% agree. Perkins is an excellent athlete but it’s all about his ability to escape a collapsing pocket. No arm strength and no touch. Some wildcat or special weapon value to the Rams. Wolford has some legs but he’s no great athlete. He has mid range arm strength but little to no touch. No value now or in the future to the Rams. The Rams need someone that can allow the Rams to assess all aspects of their rostered receivers. And someone who can step in when/of Stafford gets injured.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The list of subpar Rams QBs is almost endless.
I remember being in the doldrums of another terrible season in Anaheim and actually getting a little excited Mike Pagel was coming in.....Mike....Fing....Pagel.....thing about that.
Haha.
How about Scott Convington? He was pulled because he didn't know the plays.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How about Jeff Kemp? Now that dude really knew how to hand the ball off!
Kemp had to take over for an injured Vince Ferragamo in 1984 and was able to lead the Rams to post season. Now granted they rode Eric Dickerson like a ten cent pony, but Kemp did get the Rams into post season plus he was a congressman's son.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
How about Scott Convington? He was pulled because he didn't know the plays.
I remember Joe Namath, Bert Jones, Dan Pastorini, & Steve Bartkowski.

That was my one fear about going with Stafford as it would speed up the need for a finding the next QB. Hopefully McVay sticks around to find that next guy.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I remember Joe Namath, Bert Jones, Dan Pastorini, & Steve Bartkowski.
Namath was a desperate move by owner Steve Rosenbloom, Pastorini was brought in because of injuries & Bartkowski actually still had it, but his knees were done. I was actually excited about Bartkowski in 1986 and even more excited when they acquired Jim Everett that same year.

@Loyal below a thorn between two roses.
1670507385163.png

Ramlife

Rookie
Name
Bill
I’ll go with keith null.. I got to watch him live here in nashville.. we only lost by 30.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Do they understand? Did they really acknowledge the O-Line injuries?

At 3:30, Skip says 'The O-Line since Day 1 has been a shambles. It has been a wreck' and Shannon immediately replies 'Yeah, no AD. No A'Shawn Robinson'.

Admittedly, I think those two guys are fucking morons; and I tapped-out early.

I did not hear either one mention that 7-of-the-top-8 OL have missed at least five games due to injury. OR
12 OL combinations in 12 games. First time that has happened since 1978 ... Forty-Four Years!

Shannon is a big Ram supporter and actually picked them to repeat this year. Further in they mention all the injuries. Now when SKIUUPPPP goes on his usually tirade of his weird Sean McVay hatred i tune out..but so far these 2 are teh only ones that have mentioned the amount of injuries. Which is crae to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A strong arm without accuracy and touch is meaningless.
I agree but if that QB has good mobility and improv skills you can win some games.

A pocket QB with accuracy and touch issues is not viable.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I like this. Just said yesterday and a few times before that, that idk why the Rams under McV and Snead are holding onto and developing a couple of QB’s with no special tools.

The Wolford above the neck stuff…the Perkins athleticism(which I do like in a backup QB)….it’s weird that McV hasn’t had a legit project QB.

Baker is better than both of our backups sooooo yeah. It makes the team better. I think it also signals that the Rams would like to be able to evaluate the young WR’s properly with a QB who can throw downfield and has some real experience.

Maybe he shines under McV. Could happen. We’ve seen it before here. Goff looked lost at the end of 2016.

I like it. Smart flyer. I’ve also seen enough of the Wolford thing.
All of this. I was over wolford watching him against the cards 2 years ago and perkins 2 preseasons ago.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It might turn out to be a good move.
Give him a go.
McVay keeps him in check regarding his ego.
At least they can see eye to eye. Sorry for the short joke. I have never liked short QBs as a general rule of thumb. There are exceptions of course. Drew Breese, Russel Wilson, Fran Tarkenton. I don't think he has arm or the vision to do what Breese has done and I don't think he has the Athleticism to compensate for his shortness. I will be rooting for him to make me eat crow.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That's okay. Maybe the Rams are drafting a QB high this coming draft.