UPDATE: Rams claim Baker Mayfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
After the game the celebration thread gets more attention.

This game complicates things.

Baker just secured his future.

Amazing feat. Once in a lifetime.

So happy to witness this.

RamWoodie

Legend

I wouldn't say that because like everyone else Baker wants to get paid. I think this situation helps the Rams and Baker.

He he played great for a guy that just got to the team. He probably plays the rest of the way but he won't be content to sit behind Stafford next year

jjab360

Legend
I think Baker's problem is he never had that ego check coming into the league. Heisman trophy, 1st overall pick, rookie of the year, anyone would get a massive ego. If he fell in the draft and had time to sit for a while and completely retool his mechanics like Rodgers did, I think he has all the physical tools and mentality to be a special QB.

That's why I'd be excited if he had a year or two to sit behind Stafford and learn from McVay, I think the final product would be excellent.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a performance by Baker Mayfield last night! Baker strikes me as a guy who has perhaps the arm talent of a Stafford, with the pocket awareness and scrambling ability of a, well, Baker Mayfield (ie very good), coupled with the smarts of a Tom Brady.

If Baker stays, we’d have two number 1 overall draft pics as QB1 and QB2.

I’m now wondering if Stafford decides to hang them up with his wife in his ear about his health. Hmmm.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Who will be bakers Back up if Stafford retires? Somthing to consider. Not the 2 current ones please

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Is that a haiku?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would bet that the whiners forum wished they had a thread saying;

"whiners claim Baker Mayfield".

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Hey Mods, ... Can we eliminate the "Baker Mayfield Released" part of the title to this thread, it's going to give me nightmares that Snead might press the wrong button and waive him.
nuke-press-the-button.gif

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think this game will go down in 2022 season history if you consider all the improbable things that made it happen;

48 Hours prep for a former first round draft pick who was discarded and that nobody else put a claim in on.

A super short Rams team prep time for a Thursday night game.

Rams on a 6 game losing streak and a touchdown down in the spread.

Our fourth quarterback of the year leads a two touchdown come back.

Offensive line injuries with mutlple discarded street free agents.

Our two top wideouts out for the year.

Just amazing.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think Baker's problem is he never had that ego check coming into the league. Heisman trophy, 1st overall pick, rookie of the year, anyone would get a massive ego. If he fell in the draft and had time to sit for a while and completely retool his mechanics like Rodgers did, I think he has all the physical tools and mentality to be a special QB.

That's why I'd be excited if he had a year or two to sit behind Stafford and learn from McVay, I think the final product would be excellent.

I disagree a bit. I think McVay allows players to be themselves and embraces their styles and personalities, which allows them to be the players they are meant to be. Look at Beckham. Teams tried to keep him in check and it backfired. He comes here and is allowed to be himself as long as he puts the team first, and he shines.

Sometimes a players ego/arrogance is what makes them the Dawg they are.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Who is that player? There isn't one available and we don't have one now. The only downfall is Stan spends another $1.5mil. to take a look. Maybe it doesn't work out, no big deal. There is way more upside than there is downside.
Quite a few posters were Leary of OBJ last year, seems to have worked out very well.
I was not a fan of the obj deal but very glad I was wrong on that. What happened Thursday put my obj skepticism to shame as I fully expected baker to shit the bed, and not the regular Johnny Depp style. I'm talking the what the hell have you been eating variety.

Again, happy I was wrong, but I still don't see him being content as a backup. If he's OK with that then hell yeah, maybe in 2 or 3 years he can slide in after Stafford leaves and do some damage in this offense.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of our games alot more than I was 2 weeks ago.