UDFA Tracker 2022

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I wonder what the purpose of that exercise was? Released one day, signed back the next.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1527038631772160000?t=CbN8U75sv5rzbSf84hIdRA&s=19

Yeah, I'm looking-forward (hoping for) an explanation on this.

Four of the players cut received small signing-bonuses that totaled $33,000. That's Dead-$ if those players don't make the roster. Realize it's "chump-change" relative to the cap but it's kind of goofy to cut an UDFA right after the rookie-indoctrination-camp, and then re-sign him the next day ... and to do it four times!

Must be a reason. Inquiring-Minds Want-to-Know!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, I'm looking-forward (hoping for) an explanation on this.

Four of the players cut received small signing-bonuses that totaled $33,000. That's Dead-$ if those players don't make the roster. Realize it's "chump-change" relative to the cap but it's kind of goofy to cut an UDFA right after the rookie-indoctrination-camp, and then re-sign him the next day ... and to do it four times!

Must be a reason. Inquiring-Minds Want-to-Know!

Of course, how else do you double there wage to signing a UDRFA contract over other teams.

It’s called innovation

Tano

Legend
That's a little harsh. Can't you just say ... 'He's not good at playing football'
I tried to find the movie where the Lawyer was fighting a lawsuit where the guy being sued for defamation didn't care if he won or not as long as the guy suing him had to pay out of his ass to his lawyers.

In that movie - it was argued that there wasn't a better word for asshole. He asked his client if there was a more suitable word to use than asshole. It was hilarious.

Anyway - there is no better word for sucks. And I am sticking with it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I tried to find the movie where the Lawyer was fighting a lawsuit where the guy being sued for defamation didn't care if he won or not as long as the guy suing him had to pay out of his ass to his lawyers.

In that movie - it was argued that there wasn't a better word for asshole. He asked his client if there was a more suitable word to use than asshole. It was hilarious.
Little Mermaid

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
All but one - Andrzej Hughes-Murray.

I wonder if there was a rule broken, and they all had to pay to a degree, but the ringleader had to go? No knowledge on the subject, but just wondering.

That's what I think or that all but Andrzej Hughes-Murray were remorseful about breaking team rules? Hell if I know. This is very confusing.

dang

Legend
All but one - Andrzej Hughes-Murray.

I wonder if there was a rule broken, and they all had to pay to a degree, but the ringleader had to go? No knowledge on the subject, but just wondering.
Perhaps everyone using one of the porta pottys was released until the culprit who dropped a deuce was determined.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

1 undrafted free agent who will make the Rams’ 2022 roster​

It’s hard to dislike any moves the Los Angeles Rams have made this offseason. Many teams coming off of a Super Bowl win struggle to retain and add talent, but that hasn’t been the case in LA. General manager Les Snead did a great job keeping his championship team mostly intact while adding valuable players at key positions throughout free agency.

The Rams continued their success during the 2022 NFL Draft, despite not making a pick until the third round. Snead and head coach Sean McVay have an excellent track record of success in the late rounds of the draft and in the undrafted free agent pool. There are several undrafted free agents that could make an impact for the Rams, but former Iowa State University Jake Hummel has the chance to make the regular-season roster and earn himself a legitimate role on the team.

It wasn’t all that surprising to see Hummel go undrafted, but that doesn’t mean he’s a bad player. He was a key part of an elite Iowa State defense, particularly against the run. Hummel is a solid tackler that plays fundamentally sound football. He won’t wow anyone with explosiveness or athleticism, but that doesn’t take away from how technically sound he is.

The former Cyclone had 80 tackles in each of his last two seasons in college, while also racking up multiple tackles for loss in each campaign. Hummel certainly has a low ceiling, but his solid college play on one of the best defenses in the nation should translate immediately to the NFL level.

The Rams’ lack of depth at linebacker will help Hummel hold on to a roster spot. It was easily the weakest part of their defense in 2021, as they started Troy Reeder and Ernest Jones at the position. Jones was a rookie third-round selection that was asked to start on a Super Bowl defense. Typically that doesn’t work out all that well, but Jones performed surprisingly well throughout his rookie year.

The newly signed Bobby Wagner will obviously occupy the other starting spot. Behind those two, there isn’t much on the depth chart. Travin Howard played a little bit last year as an undrafted free agent, but Hummel could easily push him for a roster spot. The Rams desperately need to add more depth at the position before the regular season begins, and that should make a roster spot fairly easy to come by for Hummel.

Hummel is surprisingly versatile as well. His main position is obviously inside linebacker, but he should be able to turn into a key special teams contributor. His strong open-field tackling will come up huge in that phase of play. Hummel isn’t particularly fast, but his strong tackling and nose for the football should be enough to earn him a starting role on special teams.

Last year’s starting linebacker, Troy Reeder, filled a huge role on special teams. He played 61% of the snaps on every single coverage team, and now he’s playing for the Los Angeles Chargers. Ernest Jones also played 30% of the special teams snaps, a number the Rams will likely look to reduce in 2022. That means there are a ton of snaps up for grabs in every phase of special teams. Hummel plays linebacker like those guys, so he should be first in line for those snaps.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I don’t think so either.
It just seems that we at least usually pick up a few UDFA wrs for camp

Exactly. If nothing else, SOMEBODY has to be out there running routes while the “keepers” are bystanders during pre-season.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The problem with a new punter is he must be a FG holder. Dixon is such. Most (maybe all) of the draftee punters were not FG holders. This is MUCH more important to a game than punting. Give me a sure holder who is a decent punter over a great punter who is learning to hold kicks. At least for a great team like the Rams. Crappy team/offense who punts a lot - different story.

Tell me about it! I can’t remember hekker ever botching a hold other than the SB.

The first half total for the Rams was set at 13 1/2. I took the over.
Ouch!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Jack Carter from my hometown of San Jose, CA will be a guy to root for. The Rams always need depth/development players in the trenches. They don’t spend a lot of prime draft picks on “ready to go” OL.

He could very well be a backup guard/center coming out of camp.
Practice squad or 53, either way, Good Luck!!