UCF KNIGHTS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh. Out of all the schools, 8 teams wouldn’t really change that.

I think they need to really look at expanding the playoffs to conference winners and the undefeated.

Just like in the NFL, there are always assumptions on why or if one division is better, teams play better at different times of the year, etc...

As much as possible, the popularity contest has to end and major conference champions need to face off. Add in a few teams that were undefeated against decent competition, and you have a meaningful playoff system that actually lifts all conferences.

Match ups don’t always play out the way you expect. It is very likely that the #1 team going in, often won’t make it out.
Well I believe that year in and out, there is a true #1 team, like Bama this year and Clemson a clear #2. They should be rewarded for that. With games being played at neutral sites (for the most part), their is no difference between being the 1 seed or the 8 seed in the 8 team scenario. No home field advantage
I think the system is failing when 2 loss teams are routinely making the playoff.
I was pulling for UCF but ultimately think they got the top 4 correct.
Again, just my .02 but I'd rather stick with top 4 than to water it down. Sucks for UCF but they are an anomaly, and I don't see changing the system for a once a decade situation.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well I believe that year in and out, there is a true #1 team, like Bama this year and Clemson a clear #2. They should be rewarded for that. With games being played at neutral sites (for the most part), their is no difference between being the 1 seed or the 8 seed in the 8 team scenario. No home field advantage
I think the system is failing when 2 loss teams are routinely making the playoff.
I was pulling for UCF but ultimately think they got the top 4 correct.
Again, just my .02 but I'd rather stick with top 4 than to water it down. Sucks for UCF but they are an anomaly, and I don't see changing the system for a once a decade situation.
I get it but in several cases they get it wrong. Also, if you are a team in a certain conference, you are primarily built to match up against the teams in your conference plus what ever non-conference teams you are going to face. That doesn't mean you actually could beat everyone else. Match-ups can be a tricky thing. And honestly, a neutral field can be the best way to determine who is better.

We know there is no way we are going to get rid of bowl games. WAY too much money in it. And the top teams ARE rewarded and would only be rewarded more by having an extra post season game if they are good enough.

We are never going to get rid of all of the controversy. But the way they have it now is just way too limiting and doesn't really serve the best interest of all conferences. There is definitely an SEC bias over the past several years. Much of it deserved but much of it hype.

The SEC is just not that great this year and what ranked team has Bama played outside of the SEC? None? They have beat the teams inside their conference by about the same scores as they beat teams like Louisiana Lafayette and Citadel. The ACC ain't all that great this year either. And I'm not arguing that the Pac is strong this year either. It's a bit of a train wreck.

But we don't really know - do we? I agree that it appears that they got the top 4 right this time as well. But there is an argument to be made. And yeah, if you made it 8, #9 would bitch. I just don't think voting in 4 is the best way to determine the NATIONAL champion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it but in several cases they get it wrong. Also, if you are a team in a certain conference, you are primarily built to match up against the teams in your conference plus what ever non-conference teams you are going to face. That doesn't mean you actually could beat everyone else. Match-ups can be a tricky thing. And honestly, a neutral field can be the best way to determine who is better.

We know there is no way we are going to get rid of bowl games. WAY too much money in it. And the top teams ARE rewarded and would only be rewarded more by having an extra post season game if they are good enough.

We are never going to get rid of all of the controversy. But the way they have it now is just way too limiting and doesn't really serve the best interest of all conferences. There is definitely an SEC bias over the past several years. Much of it deserved but much of it hype.

The SEC is just not that great this year and what ranked team has Bama played outside of the SEC? None? They have beat the teams inside their conference by about the same scores as they beat teams like Louisiana Lafayette and Citadel. The ACC ain't all that great this year either. And I'm not arguing that the Pac is strong this year either. It's a bit of a train wreck.

But we don't really know - do we? I agree that it appears that they got the top 4 right this time as well. But there is an argument to be made. And yeah, if you made it 8, #9 would bitch. I just don't think voting in 4 is the best way to determine the NATIONAL champion.
A lot of good stuff in here, appreciate the point of view. Appears we are much more aligned in thinking.
I happen to LOVE college football. And over the years I've watched a lot of the "toilet bowls". Im always amazed at how they continue, at best half empty stadiums until at least December 26. But I watch, because the off season lasts forever.... Unlike NFL, there is no draft, no pre-season games, no free agency
I totally agree that its less than optimal how the Championship is poll-centric, I just don't know how you fix it, without hurting the regular season, and then the Conference championship games. Going to 8 may ultimately be what they do, but I can see where its the same issue we have now, on a grander scale.
They go to 8 this year for example, and we end up with Georgia, Ohio State and maybe even Michigan joining the party.
Yes, UCF would HAVE to be in....
Its far from perfect, but in all fairness it is light years ahead of where it had been. The days of having an AP champ and Coaches Poll champ? Yikes. And then the BcS nonsense... As imperfect as it is, it at least feels like we get a Championship Game

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A lot of good stuff in here, appreciate the point of view. Appears we are much more aligned in thinking.
I happen to LOVE college football. And over the years I've watched a lot of the "toilet bowls". Im always amazed at how they continue, at best half empty stadiums until at least December 26. But I watch, because the off season lasts forever.... Unlike NFL, there is no draft, no pre-season games, no free agency
I totally agree that its less than optimal how the Championship is poll-centric, I just don't know how you fix it, without hurting the regular season, and then the Conference championship games. Going to 8 may ultimately be what they do, but I can see where its the same issue we have now, on a grander scale.
They go to 8 this year for example, and we end up with Georgia, Ohio State and maybe even Michigan joining the party.
Yes, UCF would HAVE to be in....
Its far from perfect, but in all fairness it is light years ahead of where it had been. The days of having an AP champ and Coaches Poll champ? Yikes. And then the BcS nonsense... As imperfect as it is, it at least feels like we get a Championship Game
Absolutely. I would like them to go to 8 only because it seems logical to me. No doubt a good part of that is just how poorly it was decided only a few years back. I don’t think they got the changes right and would like them to do something like the 8 and then leave it alone. I’m not a big fan of constant and incremental tweaking.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely. I would like them to go to 8 only because it seems logical to me. No doubt a good part of that is just how poorly it was decided only a few years back. I don’t think they got the changes right and would like them to do something like the 8 and then leave it alone. I’m not a big fan of constant and incremental tweaking.
Good stuff.
Being #9 on the outside looking in, isn't close to being #5 just missing top 4 either. For the most part, no matter how it shakes out, the back end will be fortunate to be in it. Wouldn't it be great if they played 4 bowl games BEFORE Christmas that was the 1st round of the National Championship?
Almost as arousing as the boobies thread

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Notre Dame QB Brandon Wimbush has decided to transfer to UCF next season.

Big get for the Knights as there were a number of Power 5 schools trying to get him... Penn State really wanted him bad.

He will compete with Mack who will be a sophomore next yr for the starting job. Milton will be unable to play next yr as he recovers from his severe injury that knocked him out of UCF's last 3 games this season... but if all goes as planned... Milton will be able to come back the following year and pick up where he left off. So next yr... looks like the Knights are gonna be in pretty good shape at QB while they wait for Milton to recover.

Nicky P

UDFA
Name
Nick
I really hope Mack does not decide to transfer after next season. Although, if he does, it probably means Gabriel has shown positive.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I really hope Mack does not decide to transfer after next season. Although, if he does, it probably means Gabriel has shown positive.

You could say that the Gabriel signing is even bigger than landing Wimbush. That dude is the new all time HS passing leader in the 808. Lots of big time programs wanted him badly... including Georgia and USC. He picked UCF. I have a feeling this kid could be starting even sooner than we could imagine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could say that the Gabriel signing is even bigger than landing Wimbush. That dude is the new all time HS passing leader in the 808. Lots of big time programs wanted him badly... including Georgia and USC. He picked UCF. I have a feeling this kid could be starting even sooner than we could imagine.

I don't want to be a jerk because I respect Heupel and what he's building, but it's an overstatement to say that UGA wanted Dillon Gabriel badly. He was never at the top of their board at QB, and once they flipped Dwan Mathis, he was more or less an afterthought for them (because they still had Plumlee committed). Now, USC might have wanted him badly. I can't speak to their interest. I don't follow their recruiting because they don't come much into conflict with UF.

I hope the Gabriel kid works out for you. I'm a big Milton fan, so I was quite sad to see what happened to him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't want to be a jerk because I respect Heupel and what he's building, but it's an overstatement to say that UGA wanted Dillon Gabriel badly. He was never at the top of their board at QB, and once they flipped Dwan Mathis, he was more or less an afterthought for them (because they still had Plumlee committed). Now, USC might have wanted him badly. I can't speak to their interest. I don't follow their recruiting because they don't come much into conflict with UF.

I hope the Gabriel kid works out for you. I'm a big Milton fan, so I was quite sad to see what happened to him.

The reports I read claimed Georgia was recruiting him hard. It put a smile on my face because my brother is a Georgia Tech grad and we love to see things go bad for the dawgs.