UCF KNIGHTS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we can all agree Florida State shouldn’t be considered a ranked team considering they were ranked #3 without having played a single game and had to schedule an extra game with Delaware St. to even be bowl eligible.

We can definitely count Auburn but they lost the game. I know the CFPC finds merit in losing to ranked teams but I typically don’t value a “quality loss”.

So I see LSU and Missippi State for Alabama vs Memphis (Twice) and USF for UCF. We can debate it but the logic is there.

You said UCF PLAYED more ranked opponents. Bama played three at the time of selection (Auburn, MSU, and LSU). UCF played three (Memphis twice and USF). Difference is that Auburn was the #7 team and LSU was ranked around #16. The two teams that UCF beat, USF and Memphis, were ranked #19 (Memphis) and #23 (USF). And frankly, every single one of us knew that Alabama was the better team. The logic really wasn't there. If UCF wanted in, they needed a victory over a strong P5 team.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You said UCF PLAYED more ranked opponents. Bama played three at the time of selection (Auburn, MSU, and LSU). UCF played three (Memphis twice and USF). Difference is that Auburn was the #7 team and LSU was ranked around #16. The two teams that UCF beat, USF and Memphis, were ranked #19 (Memphis) and #23 (USF). And frankly, every single one of us knew that Alabama was the better team. The logic really wasn't there. If UCF wanted in, they needed a victory over a strong P5 team.

Everyone “knew” Auburn was better too until UCF beat them. Everyone “knew” the Patriots were better than the Giants in 2007 but they lost the Super Bowl. This is the reason why the game is played. Everyone has their opinion but opinions don’t win games. College football is the only sport that is settled by a popularity contest.

The argument to schedule more “power 5” teams is a joke. Most of the “power 5” conference teams are weak. Every single conference is top heavy! The P5 is the P5 because most of the marketing centers around those teams and that’s who everyone finds most recognizable. It’s not that the average team in the P5 is any good, it’s just that people are hesitant to adjust their bias.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone “knew” Auburn was better too until UCF beat them. Everyone “knew” the Patriots were better than the Giants in 2007 but they lost the Super Bowl. This is the reason why the game is played. Everyone has their opinion but opinions don’t win games. College football is the only sport that is settled by a popularity contest.

The argument to schedule more “power 5” teams is a joke. Most of the “power 5” conference teams are weak. Every single conference is top heavy! The P5 is the P5 because most of the marketing centers around those teams and that’s who everyone finds most recognizable. It’s not that the average team in the P5 is any good, it’s just that people are hesitant to adjust their bias.

The P5 is the P5 because they're deeper and better top to bottom. UCF is facing Memphis in the CCG this weekend. Yet, Missouri, a middle of the pack SEC team, beat Memphis 65-33 this year.

The problem with UCF's conference is that the other top teams are roughly on par with average P5 programs and the average programs are roughly on par with bottom tier P5 programs. If you want into the playoffs, you need to schedule a top P5 team and another solid or better P5 team out of conference.

Y'all have done that in the past, so don't tell me it's because teams won't play you. You played Michigan literally the year prior. Teams may not give you a home and home, but that's because you need them more than they need you.

As for Auburn, I thought y'all had a fair shot. You had a damn good team last year. But Auburn and Alabama are different beasts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its total BULLSHIDT that Michigan is ahead of UCF in the latest poll.
Bama crushes Georgia
Texas beats Oklahoma
Northwestern beats Ohio State
UCF HAS to get in

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its total BULLSHIDT that Michigan is ahead of UCF in the latest poll.
Bama crushes Georgia
Texas beats Oklahoma
Northwestern beats Ohio State
UCF HAS to get in

If they had Milton, I'd agree. Without him, UCF getting in does nobody any good.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If they had Milton, I'd agree. Without him, UCF getting in does nobody any good.
But does an injury or player out actually factor in? I agree that it would weaken them but I didn’t think that was one of the criteria actually considered.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Milton is a special player, but who knows what Mack can give. Ohio state went to 3rd string Cardale Jones and won. Bama went to Tua, Oklahoma lost Troy Aikman and Jamelle Hollaway turned out to be great (I know a little before your time)
Let’s face it, the #4 team is mere fodder for Alabama to destroy anyway

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But does an injury or player out actually factor in? I agree that it would weaken them but I didn’t think that was one of the criteria actually considered.

I think it does. I think the Committee has the ability to make subjective judgments and that factors in as part of the formula.

I know Milton is a special player, but who knows what Mack can give. Ohio state went to 3rd string Cardale Jones and won. Bama went to Tua, Oklahoma lost Troy Aikman and Jamelle Hollaway turned out to be great (I know a little before your time)
Let’s face it, the #4 team is mere fodder for Alabama to destroy anyway

We'll see against Memphis. He wasn't great against USF. Cardale was amazing when he stepped in (even before the CFP playoffs). The problem here is that if UCF gets let in and gets slaughtered, that will be what is remembered next time they are in the running (or another G5 team with a lackluster schedule). IMO, it's better for them to get in when they can be competitive. Last year would have been best. They could have competed with Oklahoma and Clemson.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, we'll just have to see how it shakes out.
Bama will wax Georgia, unless they play it safe knowing they are in either way
I think Texas beats Oklahoma again
As much as I can dream, there is no way NW beats OSU, but it sure would be amazing who would get #4 then
Georgia? Would they get a rematch after a loss?
Would Michigan sneak in?
As always, I root for chaos at this time of the year

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The P5 is the P5 because they're deeper and better top to bottom. UCF is facing Memphis in the CCG this weekend. Yet, Missouri, a middle of the pack SEC team, beat Memphis 65-33 this year.

The problem with UCF's conference is that the other top teams are roughly on par with average P5 programs and the average programs are roughly on par with bottom tier P5 programs. If you want into the playoffs, you need to schedule a top P5 team and another solid or better P5 team out of conference.

Y'all have done that in the past, so don't tell me it's because teams won't play you. You played Michigan literally the year prior. Teams may not give you a home and home, but that's because you need them more than they need you.

As for Auburn, I thought y'all had a fair shot. You had a damn good team last year. But Auburn and Alabama are different beasts.

I would say it’s less about the P5 being better throughout and more about the SEC. The other 4 conferences are weak outside of 2-4 teams. Pitt is in the ACC championship and UCF waxed them 45-14. It’s all perception, IMHO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would say it’s less about the P5 being better throughout and more about the SEC. The other 4 conferences are weak outside of 2-4 teams. Pitt is in the ACC championship and UCF waxed them 45-14. It’s all perception, IMHO.

The ACC is straight poop this year. I'll give you that one.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
EB2EC0AC-3F58-4197-A377-0448C760DC22.jpeg

68046A8F-F187-46B8-8C28-697E31C52CD6.jpeg

1774752D-1980-4E22-BCE6-8DABA5AA7A60.jpeg
28871B3B-FC90-4335-B1AE-C8ECD46EFABF.jpeg

D4006C8A-C90D-410A-9027-73065AB647D9.jpeg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope the Gators get to play UCF in a NY6 bowl.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
lol bro You just said ranked teams they played,.... now you adding all these other things..

I agree with him. A few years back Notre Dame honks in the media were bragging up their best strength of schedule in college football. That was pre-season. By seasons end most of those teams weren't even top 25. Then Notre Dame plays Alabama and predictably, by any rational fans, they get embarrassed, because they were overrated by a lie that pre-season strength of schedule is a viable measuring stick to measure a team by.

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I hope the Gators get to play UCF in a NY6 bowl.

I am hoping the same but most media outlets are projecting UCF vs LSU in the Fiesta Bowl. UCF vs UF in the Peach Bowl would be a much better sell.

Ellard80

Legend

Is UCF better than many teams in the Big10, Pac12, Big12 ect ect...?

Of course they are - but if they played in those conferences they wouldn't be going 11-0 or 12-0.

Comparing them to a 7-5 pitt team?

Well yeah they are certainly better than pitt...but that's not the same thing as going 11-0 in the ACC and having a claim to the playoffs. The ACC is shitty this year - this year I think they could have easily gone 10-2 in the ACC (which is damn good)
However that's with the ACC being shit this year and many teams being down.

And played Clemson in the ACC champ - beat clemson? now that's another story

UCF needs to get in the ACC that would solve this problem and "hypothetical" debate.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Most likely they expand the format because would not love to see a UCF play against a Clemson for example? Now even if they got beat soundly (which I don't think would happen) that's still a great viewing option.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well,,, UCF played Alabama on Thursday night. That's right Bama... the real Bama.

And guess you what??? The Knights beat their ass.

So what if it was B-Ball. Still kicked that bama ass.

10HANA

…..

Legend
Thanks UCF, you kept me in the money on my parlay this week.

fwiw- UCF vs F is good for Florida and great for tv but I think UCF deserved a better matchup. I was thinking Ohio State but dont know if thier paths to certain bowl games would allow it. So....off to the Fiesta Bowl to play LSU