Trade Deadline Rumors and Trades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
We’ll have up and down moments and I suspect we will be substantially better next year with a 3rd place schedule.
Agreed. I will go one further and say we may be playing a 4th place schedule next season.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I’m just saying he didn’t do it out of the goodness of his heart. It wasn’t ‘a favour’ to McSnead and all Rams fans. He was fairly compensated for coming back’.

I agree with your thoughts on AD being the greatest but disagree that the towel has been thrown in. Attempts were made to improve the roster in many areas but we didn’t have the juice to get them done. At some point you have to balance the present with the future in regards to cost.

Don’t let AD’s passion fool you into believing he doesn’t treat this like a business. If he was content to sit on one ring he would have his feet up already.

AD would earn just as much $$$ outside of football if not more. Rams had enough fire power to acquire Burns but they CHOSE not to pull the trigger (If you already are offering two firsts...MAKE THE DEAL and acquire our next great pass rusher after Donald retires)...

Von left early FA and they went almost 7 or 8 months before they even tried to fill the void he left...Robert Quinn, Jerry Hughes, Jadeveon Clowney (available until almost the start of the regular season) could've all been had but they went with career journeyman Justin Hollins, a 3rd rounder who hasn't shown anything, and a couple 7th rounders/UDFAs...

They haven't even brought in a new G to compete with the worst OLineman in history Bobby Evans. No move was the wrong move and the lockerroom sees a Front Office that is packing it in for the season...Not good...

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
AD can’t have his cake and eat it too. Tearing up the contract meant less funds to Von - and ultimately no Von.
If he doesn’t threaten retirement without a new deal, then I’m guessing Von likely is signed with the available funds.
Pay me is at the expense of roster building. Which is fine for someone like AD. But he’s partially to blame. Although I think we could, and should, have figured out a way to sign Von regardless. But would have been immensely easier without the extraordinary AD contract.

How is AD to blame for losing Von when they signed A-Rob for big $$$ and signed BWagz???

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Don't cry too hard for AD. He was part of the problem.

After the superbowl win he was all for signing Von. Sometime after that it became "gimme my money". Even though he was already well compensated he wanted much more and the Rams caved.

So here we are. I won't be shedding any tears for AD.

AD did not "take" Von's $$$. If he did we wouldn't of signed A Rob, BWagz, and gave Noteboom a 40M extension...The Rams chose not to seal the deal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD can’t have his cake and eat it too. Tearing up the contract meant less funds to Von - and ultimately no Von.
If he doesn’t threaten retirement without a new deal, then I’m guessing Von likely is signed with the available funds.
This doesnt make sense. Von signed with Buffalo in March and Donald didnt receive his latest extension until June, some 3 months later....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD did not "take" Von's $$$. If he did we wouldn't of signed A Rob, BWagz, and gave Noteboom a 40M extension...The Rams chose not to seal the deal.

They only signed arob and Wagner after von rejected their offer.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This doesnt make sense. Von signed with Buffalo in March and Donald didnt receive his latest extension until June, some 3 months later....

The Rams knew exactly what AD wanted and had to allow for that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams knew exactly what AD wanted and had to allow for that.

Staaahp... It's beyond silly to blame Donald's contract for what Miller was offered. They made their offer in March. They signed Wagner and Arob after Von turned them down but could have used all of that $$$$ for him.
And Donald didnt file his "retirement letter" until May, when negotiations truly began on his "new deal"

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
AD would earn just as much $$$ outside of football if not more. Rams had enough fire power to acquire Burns but they CHOSE not to pull the trigger (If you already are offering two firsts...MAKE THE DEAL and acquire our next great pass rusher after Donald retires)...

Von left early FA and they went almost 7 or 8 months before they even tried to fill the void he left...Robert Quinn, Jerry Hughes, Jadeveon Clowney (available until almost the start of the regular season) could've all been had but they went with career journeyman Justin Hollins, a 3rd rounder who hasn't shown anything, and a couple 7th rounders/UDFAs...

They haven't even brought in a new G to compete with the worst OLineman in history Bobby Evans. No move was the wrong move and the lockerroom sees a Front Office that is packing it in for the season...Not good...
Not true.

just because we had 2024 and 2025 1sts to offer doesn't mean we had enough…

Carolina likely would have required two GOOD 1sts THIS YEAR which only a few teams had and Philly went cheap with Quinn. They then chose to take him off the table days before the deadline and only draft content creators kept talking about it as if he were still in play

I won’t argue Bobby Evans as I’m sure there are 10 street vets who could beat him out for the job, but I’ve NEVER understood McVay’s OL building philosophy.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams are playing the long game. They know the cards are stacked against them this year, with one of the more difficult schedules in the NFL and a raft of injuries. They think they can make the Wildcard again with a 12-5 or 11-6 record, then as we have seen all bets are off once they are in the playoffs.

That said their 2024 & 2025 first round picks will carry a lot more weight in 2023. Their OL will get better as the season goes on. Jackson at this point is looking like a serviceable LT. Aboushi looks like he might be a serviceable RG. With Shelton back in about 2 weeks, that solves the problem at LG. As I suspected RB was a low priority as they have yet to see Williams. They really like Hardy so who knows if he can play this year, but he would be fine for next year.

They can solve their edge problem next year in the draft if they so desire. Right now the edge rusher 2023 draft class looks stacked. They could trade up into the bottom of the first round or top of the second and probably get a pretty damn good player and have him at an affordable price. Floyd is looking like a cap casualty next year, which is why IMO they drafted Hardy to play behind him and allow them to see what they have in him. But it could be they could be looking at Bradley Chubb who will be a FA next year as well (why trade for him when they might be able to get him as a FA).

IMO the Rams feel good about being able to make the playoffs this year and even better about next year when they will have their full team back. I don't necessarily feel good about that but without knowing exactly what has transpired it's hard to argue with. I had heard they were offering two 1s for Burns and apparently they did. The Panthers were stupid not to take that deal.

I for one can't argue against the Rams standing pat. But it relies upon no more crucial injury losses this year. From here on out only KC looks like a challenge. 12 and 5 or 11-6 look realistic.

The only win streak that matters against the Niners is in the playoffs. The Rams tore their hearts out last year. What's to say it won't happen again this year? Now wouldn't that be epically sweet? Kinda like the dead that won't stay dead.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Staaahp... It's beyond silly to blame Donald's contract for what Miller was offered. They made their offer in March. They signed Wagner and Arob after Von turned them down but could have used all of that $$$$ for him.
And Donald didnt file his "retirement letter" until May, when negotiations truly began on his "new deal"

Von chose BUF over LA because the Rams refused to guarantee any of his salary in year 3 of his contract. LA actually offered MORE $$$ than BUF (when they didnt have to) but BUF guaranteed the 3rd year of his deal so he chose BUF. All Rams had to do match the deal. We had the $$$. Rams Front Office stated they know they only have Donald this year and next. Donald will not be a Ram by the time that 3rd year in Von's deal comes around.

Again, they HAD THE $$$ but i guess it's easier to blame it on Donald just "cuz"...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He started talking about "retirement" before the superbowl. They knew exactly what his beef was and had to allow for that.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Not true.

just because we had 2024 and 2025 1sts to offer doesn't mean we had enough…

Carolina likely would have required two GOOD 1sts THIS YEAR which only a few teams had and Philly went cheap with Quinn. They then chose to take him off the table days before the deadline and only draft content creators kept talking about it as if he were still in play

I won’t argue Bobby Evans as I’m sure there are 10 street vets who could beat him out for the job, but I’ve NEVER understood McVay’s OL building philosophy.

I can see your point re: Burns...but Hughes, Clowney, Quinn, Chandler Jones were all available EDGE rushers at one point and I didn't see us in contention for any of them. The Defense is really good IMO and an Edge rushing threat solidifies them.

Yes, Evans is embarassing and the fact that they're going to march him out again this week makes it even worse.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Nah, I'm just not gonna feel sorry for him. He wanted more money and that had an effect on what the Rams could do.

Except the Rams’ offer was about an extra year, not AAV.

He had a little bit of an affect on the team’s success.. so I’ll good with him getting paid.

I’m looking at Snead.

There were several lower priced FAs that would have collectively had more of an impact on the D than Wagner.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
If anyone does not think the rams knew how much it would take to redo ADs contract then I don’t know what to say. They knew. They waited until the end to finalize simply to make sure they could give him as much as possible. The foundation of it was know well before FA started. It’s laughable to think they didn’t have the details misty worked out numbers wise until the end when he put pen to paper.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Nah, I'm just not gonna feel sorry for him. He wanted more money and that had an effect on what the Rams could do.

Lol yes he does occupy cap space but this is so generic/vague I'm not even sure what you're implying what Donald caused the Rams to lose out on.

Because it wasn't Von, Rams offered him more $$$ than BUF did.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol yes he does occupy cap space but this is so generic/vague I'm not even sure what you're implying what Donald caused the Rams to lose out on.

Because it wasn't Von, Rams offered him more $$$ than BUF did.

I'm pretty sure I quoted you originally because you were crying for AD. I choose not to cry for AD.