Top 10 UFA Targets (internal and external)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here is my current Top 10 list of UFAs, both internal and external, who I’d like to see the Rams target:

1. Brian Burns, EDGE, Panthers. Burns is a likely candidate for a franchise tag if he’s not signed by the Panthers to a long-term deal. If he hits the market, though, I’d be all over adding him to our front seven.

2. Josh Allen, EDGE, Jaguars. Allen is a likely candidate for a franchise tag if he’s not signed by the Jaguars to a long-term deal. If he hits the market, though, I’d be all over adding him to our front seven (sound familiar?).

3. Danielle Hunter, EDGE, Vikings. Danielle Hunter’s most recent deal has a no-franchise/transition tag clause, so he stands a good chance of hitting the market. He could be a cheaper option than Burns or Allen because of his age. He’s be a phenomenal addition.

4. Kevin Dotson, OG, Rams. Dotson played a huge role in solidifying the OL and helping improve the overall offensive performance. He’s young enough to invest in, and I think he’d be a mainstay.

5. Chase Young, EDGE, 49ers. Young has had injury issues in his career and has not been the most consistent producer, but he has great physical tools and could have his best years ahead of him. Plus, taking a player from the 49ers would be nice.

6. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Bears. Another guy who may not hit the market. He’d be higher on my list if not for two factors. One, he’s going to be really expensive. Two, there is a nice crop of CBs in this year’s draft who the Rams could be in a position to grab at pick #19. Still, if the Rams made a move for this guy, I would not be sad about it.

7. Christian Wilkins, DL, Dolphins. Wilkins could be an interesting option. He’d help improve our run defense, and showed some pop as a pass rusher this year, registering 9 sacks. Having him and Kobie Turner on the DL could be a good way of preparing for a post-Aaron Donald era.

8. Bryce Huff, EDGE, Jets. Perhaps a lower-priced option at EDGE who could, along with Byron Young, provide the Rams with a young set of bookends to rush the passer.

9. L’Jarius Sneed, CB, Chiefs. Like Johnson, this is a guy who may not hit the market, and might be too expensive if he does. Still, if the Rams move on from Ahkello Witherspoon, having a veteran at CB could be important.

10. Coleman Shelton, C, Rams. OL consistency is important. While there could be some options to try to upgrade the center position (Andre James, Raiders and Connor Williams, Dolphins – if he is healthy), I’d probably just stick with Shelton, who is not likely to break the bank.

WestCoastRam

Legend
There are some second tier pass rushers I wouldn't sneeze at if we can't get the top guys. Zadarius Smith (his age is an issue) and Barnett in Houston (he's underrated) could be options.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are some second tier pass rushers I wouldn't sneeze at if we can't get the top guys. Zadarius Smith (his age is an issue) and Barnett in Houston (he's underrated) could be options.
Jonathan Greenard is another interesting one.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The above is the Anti-Old-Not-Dead Post! I agree with everything written ... names, thoughts and analysis. Weird.

Couple of Edge options after the big-names ... alternatives to Huff ... age in 2024 included
Jonathan Greenard (Houston / 27) ... likely to be re-signed as Houston has about a Billion-$ of cap space
A.J. Epenesa (Buffalo / 25) ... very active in limited snaps, still very young, don't think Buffalo can keep him
D.J. Wonnum (MN / 27) ... not being able to re-sign Hunter, could make him a Vikings' priority
and to a lesser extent ... Dorance Armstrong (Dallas / 26) and Josh Uche (N.E. / 25)

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm glad you added Greenard, but yes, Texans have the money to resign him and I fully expect them too. Huff has been my hope for a younger cheaper underrated edge option. Would love a Huff-Dotson-Sneed offseason. I can't imagine Johnson hitting the market (same for Burns, Allen, Wilkins). Shelton should also be a must resign, but that shouldn't break the bank or anything.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Rams don't usually get involved with the early free agent frenzy when the top guys get huge contracts. Wouldn't surprise me if they abstain until the next round of free agents get signed. If so I would think guys like L'Jarious Sneed, Brian Burns and Josh Allen will be snapped up by then. Or franchise tagged.

Hunter would be a nice option. Still productive as far as sacks and pressures. Chase Young might be a cheaper option. His injury history and bouts with inconsistency could give teams pause when it comes to a multi year deal.

I do think Dotson and Shelton should be a high priority. Continuity is important for offensive lines. Shouldn't be hard to bring Jackson back as a RFA. Letting Corbett walk should be a lesson learned. The line suffered at that position due to injury and poor play.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Even when healthy, Chase Young has underachieved after his rookie season. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.
That’s what they said about Dante Fowler and Leonard Floyd before “the Donald effect”!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
That’s what they said about Dante Fowler and Leonard Floyd before “the Donald effect”!
Sacrilegious, I know. And Donald and Bosa play different positions. But AD99 will be another year older next season. If Young can't excel in San Fran right now with prime Bosa eating double teams, I am not so sure I want to try the experiment with him here in L.A. I'd look elsewhere.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
I would sure like to see a quality kicker too. Either a college stud or a proven vet.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sacrilegious, I know. And Donald and Bosa play different positions. But AD99 will be another year older next season. If Young can't excel in San Fran right now with prime Bosa eating double teams, I am not so sure I want to try the experiment with him here in L.A. I'd look elsewhere.
Young has had plenty of time to prove himself at this level. I agree with the above assessment. If he is around later in free agency, I'd consider a one-year deal, but that is later in the offseason. We have to draft well here.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Buyer beware on Young. I’d be concerned giving that dude a Big money, several year FA contract with lots of guaranteed money. I’m looking elsewhere if it were up to me.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Here is my current Top 10 list of UFAs, both internal and external, who I’d like to see the Rams target:

1. Brian Burns, EDGE, Panthers. Burns is a likely candidate for a franchise tag if he’s not signed by the Panthers to a long-term deal. If he hits the market, though, I’d be all over adding him to our front seven.

2. Josh Allen, EDGE, Jaguars. Allen is a likely candidate for a franchise tag if he’s not signed by the Jaguars to a long-term deal. If he hits the market, though, I’d be all over adding him to our front seven (sound familiar?).

3. Danielle Hunter, EDGE, Vikings. Danielle Hunter’s most recent deal has a no-franchise/transition tag clause, so he stands a good chance of hitting the market. He could be a cheaper option than Burns or Allen because of his age. He’s be a phenomenal addition.

4. Kevin Dotson, OG, Rams. Dotson played a huge role in solidifying the OL and helping improve the overall offensive performance. He’s young enough to invest in, and I think he’d be a mainstay.

5. Chase Young, EDGE, 49ers. Young has had injury issues in his career and has not been the most consistent producer, but he has great physical tools and could have his best years ahead of him. Plus, taking a player from the 49ers would be nice.

6. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Bears. Another guy who may not hit the market. He’d be higher on my list if not for two factors. One, he’s going to be really expensive. Two, there is a nice crop of CBs in this year’s draft who the Rams could be in a position to grab at pick #19. Still, if the Rams made a move for this guy, I would not be sad about it.

7. Christian Wilkins, DL, Dolphins. Wilkins could be an interesting option. He’d help improve our run defense, and showed some pop as a pass rusher this year, registering 9 sacks. Having him and Kobie Turner on the DL could be a good way of preparing for a post-Aaron Donald era.

8. Bryce Huff, EDGE, Jets. Perhaps a lower-priced option at EDGE who could, along with Byron Young, provide the Rams with a young set of bookends to rush the passer.

9. L’Jarius Sneed, CB, Chiefs. Like Johnson, this is a guy who may not hit the market, and might be too expensive if he does. Still, if the Rams move on from Ahkello Witherspoon, having a veteran at CB could be important.

10. Coleman Shelton, C, Rams. OL consistency is important. While there could be some options to try to upgrade the center position (Andre James, Raiders and Connor Williams, Dolphins – if he is healthy), I’d probably just stick with Shelton, who is not likely to break the bank.
No Antoine Winfield Jr? :thinking:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dante Fowler first off was actually healthy missing only 1 game in his first 4 years and had 27.5 sacks in that time.

Chase Young only managed to play 43 out of 64 possible games so far in his 4 year career with 16.5 sacks in those game.

Yes there are other metrics but this isn't a very favorable comparison to Young who yes has been a major flop in his young career. Can he turn it around and actually be good? Maybe, I just hope if he comes to the Rams we don't pay him what some say he'll get. Even spotrac's market valuation is too much to me.

1706062446766.png

Those player comparisons are laughable.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Fowler
With Donald: 24 games, 13.5 sacks
Without Donald: 101 games, 31.5 sacks

Floyd
With Donald: 50 games, 29 sacks
Without Donald: 71 games, 29 sacks

The Donald effect is real!!!

JBRam77

UDFA
Chase Young has very poor read and recognition technique, poor instincts and has only one move (speed rush). He was only good against weaker college teams because of athleticism. Even now on the Niners watching him he gets fooled so easily and washed out of plays. I’d rather go after a guy with a more proven history like Hunter or just draft a rookie in Rd. 1 or 2. I don’t even think the Niners will try and re-sign him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not totally convinced that the organization really has to go out and spend big money on external talent during the 1st or maybe not even the 2nd wave of free agency.

At the moment, I sort of lean on them signing their key guys, drafting well, and picking up cheaper stopgap types like Demarcus Robinson, Ahkello Witherspoon & John Johnson III like they did in 2023. Or did they just get lucky?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
We all give Snead deserved credit for drafting a monster class. But it's easy to forget that in 2023 Snead was terrific in FA as well-- signing some terrific vets at bargain basement prices.

Demarcus Robinson, Royce Freeman, John Johnson, Akhello Witherspoon. And our single internal signing, Coleman Shelton. And the home run trade for Dotson. Six big contributors for dirt cheap.

Snead will be hard-pressed to outperform 2023. Amazing how well the Rams did with such limited resources.