Too early final 53 man roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Why not both? It's not like Atwell's immune to trades.
I'm being playful.

But, an honest answer? Tutu has a specific role that he has actually shown capable off and has a unique trait for this group in his speed. Smith is the only other WR close.. and I think he's projecting into that role, and more, moving forward. Johnson looks like a solid #5 WR for some teams, but I don't think it's with the Rams.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm being playful.

But, an honest answer? Tutu has a specific role that he has actually shown capable off and has a unique trait for this group in his speed. Smith is the only other WR close.. and I think he's projecting into that role, and more, moving forward. Johnson looks like a solid #5 WR for some teams, but I don't think it's with the Rams.

Atwell's also a distant fifth in the wide receiver room; Robinson passed him up last year, and I think Whittington has passed him up this year. Unlike Johnson and Smith, Atwell doesn't play teams. And Atwell has the most value out of any of our wide receivers to get a pick in return.

I could see Atwell being dealt. I admittedly would be disappointed to see Johnson not make the team over Atwell, but I could see that as well. Either way, you have two wideouts on the final year of their contracts.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Atwell's also a distant fifth in the wide receiver room; Robinson passed him up last year, and I think Whittington has passed him up this year.
There's no evidence of this. Atwell is a solid 4th on the depth chart. There are four WRs that McVay hasn't played in the preseason. His top 4 guys.

Also, do we know for sure that Atwell isn't playing teams this year?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There's no evidence of this. Atwell is a solid 4th on the depth chart. There are four WRs that McVay hasn't played in the preseason. His top 4 guys.

Last time Atwell played teams, he got an injury that put him out for the season.

He could easily not be playing preseason to save him from wear and tear. And honestly, I feel Whittington brings more to the table - special teams, overall ability, and deception - than Atwell ever does.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Last time Atwell played teams, he got an injury that put him out for the season.

He could easily not be playing preseason to save him from wear and tear. And honestly, I feel Whittington brings more to the table - special teams, overall ability, and deception - than Atwell ever does.
I understand what your opinion is. We all have one. McVay's opinion is the only one that matters.

Have we seen any evidence that players McVay holds out of preseason are not safe on the roster? Any evidence that he saves a player from wear and tear in the preseason if they're not high on the depth chart?

Last time Atwell played teams, they didn't have special rules for kick returns. There were hints earlier that he may be a KR. Do we know for sure he won't be?

WestCoastRam

Legend

stop being so reasonable

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Atwell's also a distant fifth in the wide receiver room; Robinson passed him up last year, and I think Whittington has passed him up this year. Unlike Johnson and Smith, Atwell doesn't play teams. And Atwell has the most value out of any of our wide receivers to get a pick in return.

I could see Atwell being dealt. I admittedly would be disappointed to see Johnson not make the team over Atwell, but I could see that as well. Either way, you have two wideouts on the final year of their contracts.
I hear you.. but he’s a 5th with a real roll.. a necessary role. Whit & Smith can play teams… so it’s not a big deal. Tutu’s speed is still special.
Johnson has been fine, but doesn’t have any special trait like Smith’s speed & he’s not the player Whit is.
Tutu has made real plays in real games, including the playoffs. That’s a real thing.

fearsomefour

Legend
I hear you.. but he’s a 5th with a real roll.. a necessary role. Whit & Smith can play teams… so it’s not a big deal. Tutu’s speed is still special.
Johnson has been fine, but doesn’t have any special trait like Smith’s speed & he’s not the player Whit is.
Tutu has made real plays in real games, including the playoffs. That’s a real thing.
I think he is the fourth still or a gadget guy.
He brings something to the room no one else does (assume Smith doesn't stick) and that's pure over the top speed.
McVay forgot about him.....which he does with players.
But, included PI yards (yes, they count) he was over 600 yards of offense. Nothing overwhelming but certainly can contribute and is a threat to score or draw a big flag all the time.
Is there much of a difference or anything special that is not basically interchangeable with Robinson and Johnson?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think he is the fourth still or a gadget guy.
He brings something to the room no one else does (assume Smith doesn't stick) and that's pure over the top speed.
McVay forgot about him.....which he does with players.
But, included PI yards (yes, they count) he was over 600 yards of offense. Nothing overwhelming but certainly can contribute and is a threat to score or draw a big flag all the time.
Is there much of a difference or anything special that is not basically interchangeable with Robinson and Johnson?
Oh, I think Robinson is a better player in multiple ways and he developed a real connection with Stafford last year.
That's why he got a decent contract.

WestCoastRam

Legend
FWIW, Jourdan in latest piece talks about Tutu as primary backup to Robinson and 1st team when running certain concepts... which is what his role was at the end of the year last year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No idea if they are too low on the waiver list, but the Cowboys writers seem to think that they are going to have to release a CB who has had a good camp. Rams saw them twice so maybe 4th CB guy comes that way if they don't want to go with Wallace.

swmizzou83

Starter
I don't really want to see Tyler Johnson let go but it seems like Xavier Smith brings more to the table right now. He seems like at least a decent WR and has returner skills. Seems like he's going to fill the Brandon Powell role.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
For my money keep Xavier, check on a team needing WR help and see what you can get for Tutu.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't really want to see Tyler Johnson let go but it seems like Xavier Smith brings more to the table right now. He seems like at least a decent WR and has returner skills. Seems like he's going to fill the Brandon Powell role.
Exactly!! But faster!!

fearsomefour

Legend
Oh, I think Robinson is a better player in multiple ways and he developed a real connection with Stafford last year.
That's why he got a decent contract.
Ehh.
I like them both.
Robinson has always been a player who disappears at times.
I think there is room in the offense for all of them. The biggest threat to that (a balanced and therefore more dangerous offense) is not the skill of either of these receivers. It is whether or not McVay and even more so Stafford can avoid getting so locked into one player that the O becomes very predictable.