Todd Gurley: Would You?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramathon

I would be. But my opinion is that the grading system should take positional value and need into account to an extent.
I would go for that if I could figure out a mechanism to use it. But I've not figured one out that strikes me as workable. Again for sake of discussion....

Assume my first scenario in previous msg where some player is rated 92, but the best QB on your board is 75. And just to make it more applicable to the Rams, assume that 92 rated player is a DL.

Now weight Positional Value into the grading (1-5 scale?)...QB would likely be rated highest at 5. What would you rate DL...a 3.(?)

And then if you multiply the PV x individual player rating, the QB would win darn near every time. At least it would take an extraordinarily wide diff for the DL to come out on top.

There must be a better way to incorporate need and PV, I'm just not sure how to do so w/o distorting their significance.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Planning on the Rams drafting in the 20's so I hope that a good linebacker is available then!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would go for that if I could figure out a mechanism to use it. But I've not figured one out that strikes me as workable. Again for sake of discussion....

Assume my first scenario in previous msg where some player is rated 92, but the best QB on your board is 75. And just to make it more applicable to the Rams, assume that 92 rated player is a DL.

Now weight Positional Value into the grading (1-5 scale?)...QB would likely be rated highest at 5. What would you rate DL...a 3.(?)

And then if you multiply the PV x individual player rating, the QB would win darn near every time. At least it would take an extraordinarily wide diff for the DL to come out on top.

There must be a better way to incorporate need and PV, I'm just not sure how to do so w/o distorting their significance.

I think there are ways to do it.

Using a scale of 1-100, lets say that you want talent to be 80%, need to be 10% and positional value to be 10% of the grade.(can be different, just an example)

You measure talent on a 1-80 scale. You measure need on a 0-10 scale. You measure positional value on a 0-10 scale. Add it all up. :)

V3

Hall of Fame
How many RBs do the Rams need? Jeez. I'd much rather use our top pick on a LB, OL, or maybe QB if Davis doesn't continue his impressive ways. You can't keep investing in the same position, especially if the guys you already have are good.

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie
How many RBs do the Rams need? Jeez. I'd much rather use our top pick on a LB, OL, or maybe QB if Davis doesn't continue his impressive ways. You can't keep investing in the same position, especially if the guys you already have are good.

Totally agree. IMO our first round pick should be at a position that is losing us games. I don't see our running backs as one of the main reasons we are losing games. How about FS? Sure its not flashy, but if we aren't planning on playing Joyner there then I'm taking Landon Collins from Alabama in the first. We really need a stud back there playing center field.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In today's NFL, offense wins...BPA...We can get a LB in the 2nd, I like the guy at Miss. State...#50....Plus, we just have average RB's not game changers....Imagine a few 40 yard runs...60 yard screens...

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
What we need is a back that is a home run hitter.That will take the pressure off of what ever quarterback we start.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ask the Hags what a ridiculously beastly RB does not only for your QB, but your defense as well.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The Rams current running backs are at best, adequate.

You get a chance for this guy you take it.

Rams0307

If Winston comes out, I'd have a hard time passing on him. Gurley would be a nice luxury, but it'd depend on who all is on the board. This team needs upgrades at MLB, Guard, Center, and FS in a bad way. Hopefully, some of those positions can be filled with guys already on the roster, but if they aren't, we need upgrades from the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We've invested a 3rd, 5th, and two UDFAs at HB. How many HBs do the Rams need? However many it takes. Gurley is a game changer. You take him because of his talent not because it's an overwhelming need. Think about Arizona passing on Adrian Peterson to draft Levi Brown because he was a need. And then the Vikings, with a 1000+ yard rusher, still decided that Adrian Peterson was the right pick.

Todd Gurley really reminds me of Edgerrin James. He wouldn't just make a huge difference to this team on the ground...but he'd be a major asset in the passing game too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Vy61HobfM

ShaneFalco

We've invested a 3rd, 5th, and two UDFAs at HB. How many HBs do the Rams need? However many it takes. Gurley is a game changer. You take him because of his talent not because it's an overwhelming need. Think about Arizona passing on Adrian Peterson to draft Levi Brown because he was a need. And then the Vikings, with a 1000+ yard rusher, still decided that Adrian Peterson was the right pick.

Todd Gurley really reminds me of Edgerrin James. He wouldn't just make a huge difference to this team on the ground...but he'd be a major asset in the passing game too.

couldnt agree more. Rams current RBS dont hold a jockstrap compared to Gurley.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

You'd waste a first on Edgerin James part II?

I haven't seen Georgia play. I am going to have to look for Gurley footage but even a great like Herschel Walker can have a limited impact. Stack the board then take BPA at a position of need. If Gurley is so far ahead of any other player available then you take him, if he is rated very close to a QB, LB, FS, OG, then you don't simple. The line is more important than the back. The Rams line of the 80s proved that. ED, Charles White, Greg Bell, all we're 1000 yard rushers and two were retreads brought in when Dickerson was traded.

jjab360

Legend
You'd waste a first on Edgerin James part II?

I haven't seen Georgia play. I am going to have to look for Gurley footage but even a great like Herschel Walker can have a limited impact. Stack the board then take BPA at a position of need. If Gurley is so far ahead of any other player available then you take him, if he is rated very close to a QB, LB, FS, OG, then you don't simple. The line is more important than the back. The Rams line of the 80s proved that. ED, Charles White, Greg Bell, all we're 1000 yard rushers and two were retreads brought in when Dickerson was traded.
Heck yeah, you wouldn't?

Ramathon

Totally agree. IMO our first round pick should be at a position that is losing us games. I don't see our running backs as one of the main reasons we are losing games. How about FS? Sure its not flashy, but if we aren't planning on playing Joyner there then I'm taking Landon Collins from Alabama in the first. We really need a stud back there playing center field.
The counter to that is we need to take players who have the ability to win games for us. Our RB crew is good, but none of them strike me as players likely to win us many games. At least not from what we've seen thus far.

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie
The counter to that is we need to take players who have the ability to win games for us. Our RB crew is good, but none of them strike me as players likely to win us many games. At least not from what we've seen thus far.

I would venture to say Stacy won us quite a few games last season. When he became the starter, we started winning, no?