Todd Gurley workload

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yes however I do feel like we're missing a power element that nobody on our RB depth chart can deliver. It doesn't have to be CJ (who I have been fixated on), but he's a good example of what this offense can do when there's a guy back there that can mix it up with power and in the Dallas playoff game worked really well with Gurley. Our offense looked eerily similar late last season until they added CJ.

Either way the Rams obviously feel differently and that's fine and all but with their struggles and Brown's inability to be counted on I think it's becoming more and more clear they made a poor choice to match Detroit's offer.

OL is clearly the problem. But the RB can add to or subtract from what the blockers are doing. So for right now barring a roster addition they need to feed Henderson and give him a real chance to be the featured back in this attack.

It's going to be interesting to see if Brown also becomes a 2020 victim to cost cutting as a potential CAP casualty following this season. Brown's dead money hit is only $50,000. which could add another $1.mil+ to next years available CAP.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Because as it's been posted many times - McVay is always going to take the blame.
It's funny how on this message board there is all this "moral" and "positivity" gang mentality - and yet people are ganging up on McVay for actually doing a moral thing and taking the brunt for his players.

Ironic and sad.

If Gurley's knee isn't right and not suitable for him playing, then how is putting him out there at all the moral thing? There is nothing moral about putting him out there if he's not physically fit to play. The moral thing to do would be to put him on IR, get him in rehab, and continue this season with the other RB's we have.

I like McVay, but he's not infallible and he's not above criticism. Given the way Gurley was running, it was a big screw-up on his part to take him out of the game on the O's lone scoring drive and more generally a screw-up to not give him a single carry in the 4th quarter.

He screwed up. Period.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Vinny said today that the Gurley plan isn’t sustainable.

that tells me they can’t keep this up much longer and will have to cut ties with Gurley sooner than later.

but more importantly, they know they have to fix the OL and the “hope for the best” approach won’t cut it anymore. That means they will let guys walk to fix the OL. They have too much invested in Goff to keep trying the patchwork approach.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
well like there are different levels of "injured"

But if you are going to use stats to try to claim he isn't injured - I don't think that's a good argument.

One huge diff is he has always been a good reciever... 10 ypr... he avg like 5 years per reception now and seems to drop half of his passes.
What does that have to do with his knee and have you seen the passes he drop those fast ass hard balls from Goff when he is 4 yards away from him or high and away come on man. I’ve seen McCaffery drop those same type of passes Cooks too

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Because as it's been posted many times - McVay is always going to take the blame.
It's funny how on this message board there is all this "moral" and "positivity" gang mentality - and yet people are ganging up on McVay for actually doing a moral thing and taking the brunt for his players.

Ironic and sad.

Then how do explain McVay's own quotes when he says he wants to get Gurley more involved ?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley said after the game that he’s “used to” not getting the ball in the fourth quarter. He also said “not really” when asked if he wants it more in crunch time.
McVay said didn’t seem too concerned about Gurley’s answers, saying “anytime that you’re a playmaker like him, you’re going to want that ball and you’re going to want more.”

When asked Monday why Gurley wasn’t part of the fourth-quarter game plan, McVay pointed toward Brown’s ability to “make some plays.”
“I think it really just had to do with that we had kind of gone into it and just feeling it out, we feel like he is doing really well, he’s playing at a high level. Malcolm made some tough hard-earned runs too. He’s been a guy that’s demonstrated he can make some plays,” he said. “It’s nothing really other than that. I think like anything else, when you want to be reflective as a coach, you say, ‘Could there have been some things that you wish you had done to maybe keep him in that rhythm?’ I wouldn’t argue with that. I would say, ‘You probably should have done that.’ Those are things that I’ll never claim to make all the right decisions. I think yesterday was something where you probably could have given him an opportunity to continue with that rhythm that he did have going there.”
Some times it’s just hurtful to keep on hearing hey I gotta make sure we give him the ball more and then week after week it never happens eventually you do become used to it eventually it does wear at your psyche.
I remember when Gurley fumbled at the 1 yard line against the Seahawks one game McVay didn’t play him until about 2 quarters later and I remember thinking back then that most coaches would have went right back to the run to show trust in confidence in their player but McVay didn’t do that. If I remember that I’m sure Gurley do

Ellard80

Legend

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hey bro that article is after the Cleveland game... actually makes your argument look worse :p

No, not at all. What it does do is point out that McVay has been saying the same thing all season, that his intensions were to get Gurley more involved, but as we all know, he hasn't. McVay understands Todd's situation better than all of us, yet he continues to state how he wants to get him more involved, basically gutting your argument. He repeated again after the Pittsburgh game that he should have used Gurley more, ... not sure what more you need.

Ellard80

Legend

that tells me they can’t keep this up much longer and will have to cut ties with Gurley sooner than later.

but more importantly, they know they have to fix the OL and the “hope for the best” approach won’t cut it anymore. That means they will let guys walk to fix the OL. They have too much invested in Goff to keep trying the patchwork approach.

Yeah I'm not sure how they are going to do this.

Ellard80

Legend
No, not at all. What it does do is point out that McVay has been saying the same thing all season, that his intensions were to get Gurley more involved, but as we all know, he hasn't. McVay understands Todd's situation better than all of us, yet he continues to state how he wants to get him more involved, basically gutting your argument. He repeated again after the Pittsburgh game that he should have used Gurley more, ... not sure what more you need.

They have been saying that shit since last year..... I see why because there are people like you that are buying it.

Jesus Christ what are they supposed to do?

"Yeah well Todd has arthritic knees that may shorten his career.... so we are going to keep his touches down."

What do you expect them to say - seriously just think for a second.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They have been saying that shit since last year..... I see why because there are people like you that are buying it.

Jesus Christ what are they supposed to do?

"Yeah well Todd has arthritic knees that may shorten his career.... so we are going to keep his touches down."

What do you expect them to say - seriously just think for a second.

OK, so what you are saying is that McVay is feeding us a load of crap every week and we are supposed to stay silent about it. Good luck with that. And yes, the truth in this case won't hurt Todd, the opposition, McVay or us fans. It's not like we are trying to trade him and hope to pull the wool over some other teams eyes, doctors evaluate these things. If Gurley is only good for 13 rushes per game, then why did he get 18 against Atlanta in a game we won handily, but only 12 against Pitt when the game was on the line ? Why lie every week about getting him more involved, what's the point and where's the advantage in that ?

Ellard80

Legend
OK, so what you are saying is that McVay is feeding us a load of crap every week and we are supposed to stay silent about it. Good luck with that. And yes, the truth in this case won't hurt Todd, the opposition, McVay or us fans. It's not like we are trying to trade him and hope to pull the wool over some other teams eyes, doctors evaluate these things. If Gurley is only good for 13 rushes per game, then why did he get 18 against Atlanta in a game we won handily, but only 12 against Pitt when the game was on the line ? Why lie every week about getting him more involved, what's the point and where's the advantage in that ?

Who said the fans are supposed to be silent?

So you think if Gurley has bad knees that he or the team should just say it to everyone?

Really you actually think that?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
It's not even that big of a deal to me if Gurley gets more or less carries. What really is irritating is just not getting the run game involved with anyone. The Rams were gashing the Steelers over the right side and never went back to it. Could of been just as successful with Brown or Henderson but instead pass, pass, pass.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Who said the fans are supposed to be silent?

So you think if Gurley has bad knees that he should just say it to everyone?

Really you actually think that?

If his knees are bad, even for a guy who just averaged 6.08 ypc against Pitt, there is nothing wrong with reducing your carries. And no, I don't see any advantage to not being honest about it, it actually puts McVay in a very bad position if he's forced to lie about it week in and week out. And if Gurly is pouting on the sidelines as some are alleging, that is certainly of no benefit to anyone, especially himself. jmo.

Ellard80

Legend
If his knees are bad, even for a guy who just averaged 6.08 ypc against Pitt, there is nothing wrong with reducing your carries. And no, I don't see any advantage to not being honest about it, it actually puts McVay in a very bad position if he's forced to lie about it week in and week out. And if Gurly is pouting on the sidelines as some are alleging, that is certainly of no benefit to anyone, especially himself. jmo.

It benefits him because he can keep playing and have some use (as in you touting his good performance last week).

Plus my uncle had 3 ACL surgeries (football injuries). He can't even go in the yard and play catch with his daughters because of arthritis in his knees and hips. Destroying your knees is also bad for life after football.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It benefits him because he can keep playing and have some use (as in you touting his good performance last week).

And you think that admitting to an arthritic knee (If that turns out to be the case) will reduce his playing time even more ? Why is that if it can be managed ?

Ellard80

Legend
And you think that admitting to an arthritic knee (If that turns out to be the case) will reduce his playing time even more ? Why is that if it can be managed ?

Why does he have to tell us he has bad knees?

What benefit does he receive from telling us? Oh so we won't speculate? Like he gives a shit.
Telling the world you have bad knees when you are an athlete... that only has possible bad repercussions...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Why does he have to tell us he has bad knees?

Aren't you the one saying he has bad knees ? I don't know what the problem is other than McVay keeps reducing Gurley's carries and then turns around every week and says 'I'll fix that'. McVay has only said that Gurley is fine as far as I know, then he reverts right back to being a throw first H.C. jmo.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It sure isn't. The rams have already lost 4 games because they went pass happy.

Run the fuck out of him and start winning some games.

Ram77

Rookie
Just sign CJ Anderson already!! That fat piece of Gold was a pretty awesome back that found the tiniest holes and tiptoed through them. I dont think Malcolm Brown has a nose for the zone blocking scheme as an every down back and Henderson is still raw.