Todd Gurley workload

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Why is it making you laugh. The coaching staff is full of shit. McVay says it’s the flow of the game that determines how many snaps Gurley is in the lineup. And there is no snap count.

He gets his money regardless. They are not getting him one more year. He gets paid period.

Stop the bull shit.

He doesn't get all his money regardless..... just a good chunk of it.

Plus this angry I know whats going on for sure attitude.

You don't really know. None of us do.

Also: coaches never tell the truth about 95% of the shit to the media. So quit getting mad at Mcvay for the same shit that every other coach does.

For fucks sake, the way McVay is he would never do anything but deflect or take the blame of anyone else but himself

EastRam

Pro Bowler
He doesn't get all his money regardless..... just a good chunk of it.

Plus this angry I know whats going on for sure attitude.

You don't really know. None of us do.

Also: coaches never tell the truth about 95% of the shit to the media. So quit getting mad at Mcvay for the same shit that every other coach does.

For fucks sake, the way McVay is he would never do anything but deflect or take the blame of anyone else but himself

I’m not mad at coach.

It’s just same ole same ole is getting old.

rambro29

UDFA
"It was a rotation thing".

Here's what really pisses me off and quite frankly now has me seriously concerned about our head coach. If we were winning I get the pitch count thing. But given our difficult schedule(BAL,SEA,DAL,SF) we could not afford to lose to Pit. Therefore sidelining your best player at THE most critical part of the game AND when he was bashing the Steelers is mind blowingingly reckless dumb stupid you name the adjectives.

I've tried to excuse the lack of use of Todd Gurley in the past because of the overall picture but no more. Mcvay might have cost us the season with that move.

And let me remind you 13 carries vs philly, 13 vs atl in2017. 10 Carrie's in the super bowl. The biggest of games he goes away from his best player.

There's no more excuses he needs his feet put to the fire.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
McVay is covering for Gurley.

Gurley can’t handle a heavy workload because of his arthritic knee. He knows it but doesn’t want it out there.

Gurley isn’t a shy guy. This is the only guy who called out the Rams offense in 2016 as being middle school offense.

If he could handle a heavy workload, he’d be screaming “give me the damn ball” instead of “I’m used to it”

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I agree with the OP. If there is a “legit” reason for the pitch count? We have been purposely kept in the dark.

Either way though, the bottom line is: a hall of fame talented running back is being used as a tease, and we are supposed to be ok with it.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Even if Gurley can't take the workload the question still is why only about 20 rush attempts. We matched Lions so we could keep Brown and spent a 3rd on Henderson. So if Gurley is damaged good was Brown money ill spent and Henderson not what he was cracked up to be? This offense is predicated on play action. If you can't or don't run the play action becomes moot. So either you find a way to run or change the offense.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Gurley was able to go, we would hear about it. McVay is shielding his players like a leader does.

Shielding him from what ? Last I heard from him was that Gurley was just fine, McVay even praised him for his patience. Reducing snaps to extend a RB's career is one thing, but to pull him from a close and important game is another. jmo.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I'm not buying what McVay is selling. There's more to this than what has been repeatedly communicated.

Even if Gurley can't take the workload the question still is why only about 20 rush attempts. We matched Lions so we could keep Brown and spent a 3rd on Henderson. So if Gurley is damaged good was Brown money ill spent and Henderson not what he was cracked up to be? This offense is predicated on play action. If you can't or don't run the play action becomes moot. So either you find a way to run or change the offense.

CJ Anderson is probably well rested...

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I listened to an interesting Rams podcast last night where Vinnie B and The Athletic crew were discussing this issue. They all made a comment that struck me that we haven't seen on this board much: they're sticking to the gameplan of monitoring Gurley's action in games. They are refusing to budge off of it, and I think it's that plain and simple.

Another interesting perspective they gave on it was the fact that, we all know Gurley is a fiery guy, he wants the rock. Wouldn't he be saying to McVay, give me the damn ball? Perhaps this goes back to the issue of his knee. Regardless, they made the point that McVay may be covering for Gurley considering his lack of anger toward not getting the ball. McVay is therefore put in a difficult position, with "his hands tied behind his back" when calling the offense because so much of it ran through him. Alas, Gurley does not play because they're committed to their usage plan.

The podcast is on Apple Podcasts called 11 Personnel; 16th episode "Making Sense of This Loss."

MachS

Hall of Fame
From a health standpoint, it's pretty obvious to me that Gurley isn't the same guy . Where there's smoke there's fire and the arthritis diagnosis has been out there for a while now. That does NOT mean he can't be effective however as we've seen at times this year he's looked great. But what has changed is his ability to carry a full workload like the past 4 years. Those days are gone.

The reason why he isnt playing more IMO is because we have arguably the worst o-line in the NFL, and there's a finite number of carries left in Gurley's knee. We paid him the huge contract, so this is a move to maximize our investment 100%. There is no chance we contend with good teams this year so why not let Henderson get more carries and develop? That might give Gurley an extra season in a couple years or he's just that much fresher next year.

No reason to run your depreciating RB into the ground behind the worst o-line in football during a lost season.

Ellard80

Legend
"It was a rotation thing".

Here's what really pisses me off and quite frankly now has me seriously concerned about our head coach. If we were winning I get the pitch count thing. But given our difficult schedule(BAL,SEA,DAL,SF) we could not afford to lose to Pit. Therefore sidelining your best player at THE most critical part of the game AND when he was bashing the Steelers is mind blowingingly reckless dumb stupid you name the adjectives.

I've tried to excuse the lack of use of Todd Gurley in the past because of the overall picture but no more. Mcvay might have cost us the season with that move.

And let me remind you 13 carries vs philly, 13 vs atl in2017. 10 Carrie's in the super bowl. The biggest of games he goes away from his best player.

There's no more excuses he needs his feet put to the fire.

lol...

1. This is already present in 10 threads... we needed one more!
2. It's just amazing to me that people really believe this - its just.. like dumfounding beyond belief.

Ever since Gurley sat out from his knee issue end of last year - he has never had the same amount of touches.

It's plain as day.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Gurley can't do more than what he did in Pitt, McVay is not snowing anyone. Just admit things and move on

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if Gurley gets 25 touches this week? Will he suddenly be healthy?
has he had 25 touches in a game, all year? It would prove something to me, I know

Ellard80

Legend
Well, he is averaging 4.1 ypc, not many injured RB's doing that.

well like there are different levels of "injured"

But if you are going to use stats to try to claim he isn't injured - I don't think that's a good argument.

One huge diff is he has always been a good reciever... 10 ypr... he avg like 5 years per reception now and seems to drop half of his passes.