Todd Gurley released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
If Gurley had been traded for a first round pick, there would be a much different reaction that now. But he would still be gone. Dont get why so many are so upset.
Because we are fans not spectators. The pic of AD99 and TGII holding their DPOY and OPOY trophies makes me cry now.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Cap casualty. Slay just beat Jones in being the highest paid CB in the league, and you know damn well Ramsey is gonna want more more money than either of them. I knew this was gonna happen to someone, I was just hoping it was Cooks. This sucks. Big time.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Then why not keep him this year?
The 10 million payment mattered to someone and that’s Kroenke

It won't matter at all to Stan, it will just go somewhere else. If we kept Gurley, there would be cap ramifications for next year, and we have to start paying Ramsey next year.

I'm not happy about losing Gurley either, but I don't think they make this move if he is truly healthy. If he's not, then there is no way he can justify that salary, and it's better to take the pain now and get it over with than to keep throwing good money after bad.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Good point. They didn't get trapped into the sunk cost fallacy.

They took a gamble by giving him a deal and it just didn't work out. It can happen with any player. The Rams were just unlucky here.
And with Cooks... Yet Les gets pretty much universal praise here. Do we blame Demoff? We have some huge contracts that look awfully short sighted at the moment.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And with Cooks... Yet Les gets pretty much universal praise here. Do we blame Demoff? We have some huge contracts that look awfully short sighted at the moment.

Cooks looked great in the first year of the contract. Then he started getting his bell rung last year.

It sucks, but that's the gamble you take with any big contract. I'd still rather be in this position than the position we were in during the era I call The Great Suck (2005-2016) where we rarely had anyone on the team that was worth gambling on with a big contract.

MachS

Hall of Fame

Yea two contracts that are killing this franchise but they became bad contracts due to unforeseen injury. The Goff deal was the one that was premature. You pay Goff all that money and you cant afford to put a dominant line in front of him. That turns him from a very good QB to a below average one. Now we lost the workhorse RB who carried the offense for two straight years in '17 and '18. Combine that with the holes we now have on defense too..this franchise isn't in great shape right now tbh.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
We have several ginormous contracts besides Gurley's, chiefly Goff's and AD's. Next tier, Whit's and Cooks and Higbee. With several more to go this year including Ramsey. Next year is even worse, with Kupp & others to work out.

Snead is not on the hot seat. They took a gamble, everything seemed fine until TGII hurt his knee & suddenly we're pulling CJ Anderson off the scrap heap to salvage our super bowl run. The questions swirled, and we all got NO ANSWERS. Not from Todd, not from Snead, not from McVay or anyone else. We STILL have no idea to this day what really happened.

This is more an information management problem, and even a HIPPA problem -- an athlete's privacy vs. a GM's best efforts to base contracts on said athlete's health. It's also a crisis management problem that the Rams failed at -- all the double-speak about his knee & their "managing it" plan just alienated a lot of us. Frankly I'm done with it, and glad that as a Rams fan I don't have to wonder every time Todd runs if it will be his last because I still have NO IDEA WHAT'S WRONG WITH HIM.

And with league restrictions in place about visiting with FA's, who is gonna sign TG without being able to do a physical even though there's no trade...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wow, straight up releasing him, basically getting nothing, that is... Shocking to say the least.

There had to be a lot more going on behind the scenes that we didn’t know, this just doesn’t make any sense.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
This team is starting to look at lot like, talentwise, the St. Louis Rams we inherited.

I might be a bit jaded, but starting to feel like Stan only fielded a top flight team long enough to get us to buy those season tickets and have enough years of PSL deposits to have us committed before going back to the old ways.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I understand it, doesn’t mean I like it. God speed Todd, I’ll never forget sitting in a cold seattle stadium December 2017 and watching you tear the 12’s heart out right before half by running through the entire defense!

on the other hand, no TG and of that logo really is our logo (plus everything else going on in life) 2020 is shaping into an epically crap year already

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How much does Gurley count against the cap next year with this move? Hint: it's zero. Second hint: it was non-zero if we kept him in the fold, even if we cut him before next season.

I'd rather the rams had kept him.