These "weight on the QB" penalties are BS.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Not true. If a lineman lands on top of the QB it's a penalty. Period. Had a Viking player land on top of Jimmy G., never launched himself, hit him as he was passing. Landed on top of him 15 yards.

On the play you are refering to the DL launched himself/ left his feet after jimmy grababpole was already going down. It is the act of launching themselves onto the QB that is already going down that draws the flag. If the player had just tackled and not launched as they were going down, there is no flag. Evey play I have seen flagged had 1 thing in common, the defender left his feet after hitting the QB in an attempt to injure the QB. If they just tackle and land on the QB, no flag. It is the extra effort to launch that draws the flag.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Unlike you Angry, I like football the way it was meant to be played. I guess you're a proponent of flag.

I never said I would stop watching, but I will if they make the game more pussy-fied. Hope you like it when it gets there.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Unlike you Angry, I like football the way it was meant to be played. I guess you're a proponent of flag.

I never said I would stop watching, but I will if they make the game more wuss-fied. Hope you like it when it gets there.

You know if a DL launched himself onto Goff and injured him you would agree its a penalty. IMO people are over reacting to this new penalty that is designed to take dirty hits on QBs out of the game. It is still ok to sack the QB, just not ok to attempt to injure them.

I'm not saying you should go fishing just that the rule is good for the game.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

I never said I would stop watching, but I will if they make the game more wuss-fied. Hope you like it when it gets there.

I'm a proponent of cleaning up the game and getting rid of dirty plays. I'm guessing your not in favor of that.

I will continue to watch so long as the games are on tv and teams exist, instead of being cranky and complaining about how it's not like the "good ole days". Go ahead and keep threatening to quit watching (and never actually doing it), because judging on the crowd noises in the stadiums, seems like you are definitely in the minority.

This is your first time you say you'll stop watching, this season right? I'm wondering how many you'll make come February.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not in favor of dirty plays. I'm not in favor of a guy making a sack and in the course of it inadvertently lands on top of the QB and getting flagged either.

anyway, I think I'll stick around and complain some more, just for you Angry.:jerkoff::bow:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm not in favor of dirty plays. I'm not in favor of a guy making a sack and in the course of it inadvertently lands on top of the QB and getting flagged either.

anyway, I think I'll stick around and complain some more, just for you Angry.:jerkoff::bow:
Falling on the QB is not a penanlty, it is the extra launch as the QB is going down that being called.

Angry Ram

Must be a joy being you. Go ahead, then. I'll be here.

200.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I saw two flags today for a defender falling on top of a QB while making a sack. Wouldn't have been called last year. Guys weren't trying to hurt the QB either.

Whatever.:argue:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank Aaron Rodgers and Anthony Barr for this.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
What should happen is if the o lines up in 4 or 5 wide.

Then all roughing the passer penalties should be eliminated except for a blow to the head.

This way the protection of the QB falls on the coach. Expose the QB without enough blockers then it's on them.

Just an out of the box thought.

Give the D a chance to play football

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
What should happen is if the o lines up in 4 or 5 wide.

Then all roughing the passer penalties should be eliminated except for a blow to the head.

This way the protection of the QB falls on the coach. Expose the QB without enough blockers then it's on them.

Just an out of the box thought.

Give the D a chance to play football

It has nothing to do with blocking or not blocking it is the blatant attempt to injure an already going down QB. The D can still sack the QB they just cant launch themselves onto an already down QB what is so hard to understand. Guess I will just have to drop it and let people complain about something that isnt happening. Nobody wants to try and understand the rule, when it is really pretty simple.

Angry Ram

I saw two flags today for a defender falling on top of a QB while making a sack. Wouldn't have been called last year. Guys weren't trying to hurt the QB either.

So what? It's 2018, not 2017. What plays were this? Provide the replay, teams involved, etc.

But right, whatever.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
It has nothing to do with blocking or not blocking it is the blatant attempt to injure an already going down QB. The D can still sack the QB they just cant launch themselves onto an already down QB what is so hard to understand. Guess I will just have to drop it and let people complain about something that isnt happening. Nobody wants to try and understand the rule, when it is really pretty simple.

Yea. We're gonna disagree

Angry Ram

Seems like the Broncos are having no problem following the rules when sacking Russel Wilson.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

If 1 of the plays you are talking about was the vikings game, that was a dirty hit on grabapole. The defender launched himself after grabapole was already going down. I watched parts of many games today and that was the only flag I saw for this penalty. Denver sacked RW 6 or 7 times and landed on top of him several times but no flag because they didnt launch themselves onto him after he was already going down. It is really very simple, if you hit the QB then leave your feet to land on him its a penalty. If you dive at the QB and hit him and take him down it is clean whether you land on him or not. Its the launch after contact that is being called.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Falling on the QB is not a penanlty, it is the extra launch as the QB is going down that being called.
I haven't looked at it other than the original call, but it looked like Jimmy G was the only one to leave his feet. I didn't see a defensive launch.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I haven't looked at it other than the original call, but it looked like Jimmy G was the only one to leave his feet. I didn't see a defensive launch.
give up and ignore this sight as there's a few here who will back up these football plays as wrong just to despite themselves. Move on.

Debacled

Starter

You are completely missing the issue people have with the rule. The rule is fine, how it is being enforced is not fine. Flags are being thrown for run of the mill sacks due to the linemen being heavy. If they were throwing it for egregious issues then sure whatever, but like I said they have been throwing the flag for anything that has some force behind it.

It isn't a new rule, how they are enforcing it is different....and it is causing issues. It was meant to penalize extra actions in a sack, not big hits.