The Rise of LASED.........

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

does anyone know what is the purpose of all those poles hanging off the steel cables? are they gonna stretch and lock in another set of cables below them so the roof lifts up towards the center of the stadium?

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

does anyone know what is the purpose of all those poles hanging off the steel cables? are they gonna stretch and lock in another set of cables below them so the roof lifts up towards the center of the stadium?

Correct, the bottom cables provide the tension needed to support them, while the top cables provide lateral positioning of the poles, which will hold up connection points (the solid cast aluminum "plus" things at the top cable intersections) for the ETFE roofing membrane.

edit: you can see the lower cables at the 2:47 mark. This structure is going to virtually disappear. The whole roof will be clear, with cables & thin round poles the only visual obstruction. I'm a little worried about hanging a heavy LED 'oculus' from this but I'm sure they have it figured into the deflection calculations.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Looking like we should get the roof installed before the rain season begins.. Looks so good so far

RamnSD

Rookie
Name
RamnSD
From what I see from the drawings is that there are going to be solid supports on top where the cables currently are. I'm not sure if the cables will be replaced are will remain inside the solid structures. Clearly the bottom cables will remain.
cpxj72zqkc2hiypfs8k1

Correct, the bottom cables provide the tension needed to support them, while the top cables provide lateral positioning of the poles, which will hold up connection points (the solid cast aluminum "plus" things at the top cable intersections) for the ETFE roofing membrane.

edit: you can see the lower cables at the 2:47 mark. This structure is going to virtually disappear. The whole roof will be clear, with cables & thin round poles the only visual obstruction. I'm a little worried about hanging a heavy LED 'oculus' from this but I'm sure they have it figured into the deflection calculations.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
From what I see from the drawings is that there are going to be solid supports on top where the cables currently are. I'm not sure if the cables will be replaced are will remain inside the solid structures. Clearly the bottom cables will remain.
cpxj72zqkc2hiypfs8k1
Good question. Top chords of trusses/spaceframes being in compression, they wouldn't be doing anything, so they're probably placeholders for the mini-trusses you see in the rendering. As they complete roof sections, I'm guessing they'll drop the cabling to the bottom of those poles. I assume there's an internal gutter system as well.

Last edited:

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
I don't know why, but watching this latest video filled me with some incredible pride, and I'm not sure why. I don't know anybody involved. I can't get to games anymore so I've never met anyone on the current roster, or staff. Family and team allegiance is a funny thing... ain't it?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'm curious if they will need lights on for day games or live with a crazy shadow profile caused by the roof beams?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm curious if they will need lights on for day games or live with a crazy shadow profile caused by the roof beams?
I believe there will always be lights. It helps the TV cameras for broadcast... I believe. Or as you say, the shadow effects would constantly be messing with their apertures.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
The vike's roof has steel joists at the panel edges, but looks much less "gridded" than the last rendering posted above. Wonder how 'current' each rendering is? the last one looks a bit older than the previous one, which looks a bit more like the vike's roof. I can still see the top cables a bit, so I think the 'beam' goes above it - maybe it's some kind of gutter or condensation management?