The Rams will "connect with" QB Stetson Bennett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Disagree.
Just a friendly word-of-warning ...

In the past, a few posters have disagreed with @kurtfaulk; and were never heard from again.

1717513268694.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is all I am going to say of Bennett's situation, in the jobs I've had in my life, if you miss a year on the job you won't have a job to come back to. I'm not hating on him, btw.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
He actually did. Many on here were pretty excited by his first pre-season game. Then the wheels fell off.
He had one preseason game against the Chargers (who went on to have one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL), threw for 191 yards, but also took 3 sacks for -36 yards. If people were excited, that’s fine, but he didn’t exactly establish himself as an NFL QB.

His next game was a train wreck.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He looked pretty good until he injured his shoulder.

The one game he looked quite good I agree. But for whatever reason he wasn't too sharp thereafter.

I think he has the right stuff to serve as QB2 for the Rams. His limited talent slots him into that type of role and having a cocky number two on the depth chart at QB is a great thing. But unfortunately he is an unknown to a large extent on the mental side, which is why they brought Jimmy in. Well that and the hideous fucking result that they had in Green Bay.

He'll either get his shit together or he won't. I don't see him as a future QB1 regardless but McVay got good results from Cousins who is similar in his limitations. To me this isn't really a topic to get too excited about, other than I can't wait to see preseason due to far better quality on our QB depth chart.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If people were excited, that’s fine, but he didn’t exactly establish himself as an NFL QB.
No one said that he did. But he looked like he could have upside. And not all that many 4th round QBs establish themselves after 1 preseason game. A great many (most) 1st rounders take a fair bit of time to establish themselves.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A great many (most) 1st rounders take a fair bit of time to establish themselves.
CJ Stroud for instance looked lost in his first action yet turned around and had one of the best rookie qb campaigns

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
No one said that he did. But he looked like he could have upside. And not all that many 4th round QBs establish themselves after 1 preseason game. A great many (most) 1st rounders take a fair bit of time to establish themselves.
So it’s inconclusive, meaning we’re all just giving an opinion based on a very small sample size.

My opinion is that he lacks what it takes to be more than a marginal backup.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
CJ Stroud for instance looked lost in his first action yet turned around and had one of the best rookie qb campaigns
Can’t compare their tools, though. Stroud has comparable size (6’3, 218) to many highly successful NFL QBs.

How many successful NFL QBs are 5’11, 190? I believe he is the only NFL QB listed under 200 lb. And, of the examples of successful small QBs you might cite to, how many didn’t run under 4.6 in the 40?

I didn’t like the selection, and I don’t expect to feel differently in the future.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So it’s inconclusive, meaning we’re all just giving an opinion based on a very small sample size.

My opinion is that he lacks what it takes to be more than a marginal backup.
Obviously we're all giving opinions based on a small sample size - as are you. There have been several "short" QBs that have succeeded in the NFL.

BTW... Brees ran a 4.83 and Wussell was just barely under 4.6 Certainly not enough lower to make speed a difference maker between them.

Clearly he doesn't have prototypical size for a QB. That is certainly no news flash. But others have made it at or below his size and none of us really know if Stetson will be the next smallish QB to make it.

I'm not holding my breath. But I'm not ruling him out either. What the fuck good would that do anyway? Make ME look good somehow? Meh. I'd rather look at the positives and hold out hope.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Obviously we're all giving opinions based on a small sample size - as are you. There have been several "short" QBs that have succeeded in the NFL.

BTW... Brees ran a 4.83 and Wussell was just barely under 4.6 Certainly not enough lower to make speed a difference maker between them.

Clearly he doesn't have prototypical size for a QB. That is certainly no news flash. But others have made it at or below his size and none of us really know if Stetson will be the next smallish QB to make it.

I'm not holding my breath. But I'm not ruling him out either. What the fuck good would that do anyway? Make ME look good somehow? Meh. I'd rather look at the positives and hold out hope.
Brees: 6’0, 209
Wilson: 5’11, 206
Bennett: 5’11, 190

My pointing out that there is really no precedent in the modern NFL of a successful QB under 200 lbs. is not me dogging Bennett or taking a personal shot at him. It’s simply an empirical fact that, in my opinion, is noteworthy.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A good example is Aiden O'Connell (spell?). I thought he looked great in thr preseason and I thought the Rams blew it by not drafting him instead of Stetson Bennett. But I believe O'connell has played a lot since then and has been fairly inconsistent. Way too early to judge Bennett. My hope is the Rams may someday have a "long term", competent and inexpensive backup.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Kinda wondering at this response to my post.
Are you saying I need to have more respect, or that you have little respect for him?
To answer your question, neither.

Wouldn't presume to try to tell you how to react to this situation and agree with all the points you made regarding the attention he's getting. Yours was the last post I read before responding so used the quote to express more an overall feeling about the situation than just a response to your post directly. Should not have quoted you with that being the case.

I think way too much is being made of the whole situation. As you said, its the silly season.

He wasn't drafted to be Stafford's successor to our knowledge. He's a potential backup. Would knowing what it was all about give us more insight into his character? Maybe, maybe not. I don't really care as long as he took care of what he needed to and can become that potential backup he was drafted to be. If not, so be it.

Successful or not, I respect his decision to address personal issues the way he did with the permission and knowledge of the team. He's of no use to us if he's of no use to himself first.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Brees: 6’0, 209
Wilson: 5’11, 206
Bennett: 5’11, 190

My pointing out that there is really no precedent in the modern NFL of a successful QB under 200 lbs. is not me dogging Bennett or taking a personal shot at him. It’s simply an empirical fact that, in my opinion, is noteworthy.
I agree it's noteworthy. I'm not really arguing with you.

I just hope for the best as I'm sure you do too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had one preseason game against the Chargers (who went on to have one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL), threw for 191 yards, but also took 3 sacks for -36 yards. If people were excited, that’s fine, but he didn’t exactly establish himself as an NFL QB.

His next game was a train wreck.
You're taking what happened later and applying it to a game he played well in.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
You're taking what happened later and applying it to a game he played well in.
No, I’m not. I didn’t think his first game was anything special.

Here’s what I posted after his first game:
Am I the only one who feels like the praise Bennett is receiving for last weekend’s performance is a bit over the top compared to his actual performance?

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fans getting too excited? Those stupid bastids. So pathetic.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can’t compare their tools, though. Stroud has comparable size (6’3, 218) to many highly successful NFL QBs.

How many successful NFL QBs are 5’11, 190? I believe he is the only NFL QB listed under 200 lb. And, of the examples of successful small QBs you might cite to, how many didn’t run under 4.6 in the 40?

I didn’t like the selection, and I don’t expect to feel differently in the future.
I'm not comparing anything about them other than that they are rookies. Nobody disliked the pick of Bennett more than I, however he deserved credit for how he played in his first game. He was exciting to watch and see what came next. Unfortunately, next was more in line what I expected of him. Alas, I only entered the conversation to dispute a notion that he was terrible all pre-season, as he was entertaining for at least that one game.
Not giving credit for that is just hanging on to a bias